ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Realignment Thread

In Texas and Florida you get to experience male gonads that aren't hiding inside your body during the winter.
First off, Lincoln NE is further south than Ann Arbor, Michigan, Columbus, Ohio, Madison, Wisconsin and Penn State's Happy Valley.

Secondly, I don't give a sh*t because Mrs Shuckster and I snowbird in Florida. :p :)

Whoa, I would hate to see us lose W. Virginia and Kansas. Not interested in PAC remains. Hope we don't do that because I think it would be bad for UCF.

Reactions: Knight59
This rumor's fun and ignores all the comments that the Big XII is done expanding.

In short, the Big XII trades W. Virginia and Kansas to the ACC and takes the PAC remains. Hilarious.
Just a month or two ago Colorado AD publicly spoke out against B12, and B10 was not interested in expanding further after USC/UCLA.

I would say nothing is off the table after seeing all the action in the last year or two.

First off, Lincoln NE is further south than Ann Arbor, Michigan, Columbus, Ohio, Madison, Wisconsin and Penn State's Happy Valley.

Secondly, I don't give a sh*t because Mrs Shuckster and I snowbird in Florida. :p :)
You really should snowboard in Atlanta instead, where you can be amongst like minded people.

This rumor's fun and ignores all the comments that the Big XII is done expanding.

In short, the Big XII trades W. Virginia and Kansas to the ACC and takes the PAC remains. Hilarious.
Yormark would be insane if he agreed to let WVU and Kansas go to ACC! He wants B12 to be a premier BB league but it definitely won’t if Kansas leaves!!!! Also the super late games on the west coast don’t get the national viewership because they are on so late. Hang tough and pickup ACC leftovers after they get raided.

Yormark would be insane if he agreed to let WVU and Kansas go to ACC! He wants B12 to be a premier BB league but it definitely won’t if Kansas leaves!!!! Also the super late games on the west coast don’t get the national viewership because they are on so late. Hang tough and pickup ACC leftovers after they get raided.
Agreed. Why give the ACC strength? If FSU and Clemson leave they will be undeniably the worst P4 conference.

Reactions: Yaes
Whoa, I would hate to see us lose W. Virginia and Kansas. Not interested in PAC remains. Hope we don't do that because I think it would be bad for UCF.
1 rumor v most if not all the ADs and the Commissioner saying the Big XII is done, including "No interest in the remaining 4." I think I have a better chance of joining the PAC.

Plus, an even newer rumor has the ACC voting within days to add Stanford etc. and it passing due to 'financial considerations' winning over some no votes.

I agree.

Reactions: U C to the F
Just a month or two ago Colorado AD publicly spoke out against B12, and B10 was not interested in expanding further after USC/UCLA.

I would say nothing is off the table after seeing all the action in the last year or two.
False about CU. Colorado was rumored to the Big12 for quite a while. Deion was public about his school’s recruiting and “why his school is leaving this conference”. Their AD was the only one quiet as a mouse and stating they will do what’s best for their school first, or basically saying the Pac Media deal has to be right. It wasn’t and they left.

Last edited:

We’ve seen Brett Yormark’s moves and he has shown he emphasizes basketball. No way Kansas or WVU goes to the ACC, or that “Big12 trades them”, that’s ludicrous. There is no way anyone leaves for the Big12 for the ACC at this point, the ACC unstable as hell at the moment and future.

Reactions: Flstan
If the Big XII makes trades, it needs to start with Houston.
Houston was not a great add but at the time, it made sense. They are a product of best relevant option and lucky there needed to be an even add for scheduling purposes…and Memphis, SDSU, UCONN, etc (and ESPECIALLY usf) was too shitty for national media to accept.

Their fans are non existent, their coach is a turd and their recruiting even with the Big12 bump is shit. SMU was a better option imho.

I've been around here long enough to know my take about this will be blasted by 99% of you. But, that said, here goes:

I believe the Big XII's long-term future would have been better served by taking USF over Houston.
  • It would have taken away some of the criticisms about the conference's Texas-centric focus.
  • It would have recognized the emergence of Florida and Georgia as a recruiting hotbed.
  • Big XII money would have helped USF return to the kind of football program it once was.
  • It would have given the conference an emerging rivalry game, 'The War on I-4.' Sure, there have been blow-outs, but there have been some spectacular games in the series. THOSE types of games are Brand-Builders for the teams involved and their intensity bolsters the overall conference.

I've been around here long enough to know my take about this will be blasted by 99% of you. But, that said, here goes:

I believe the Big XII's long-term future would have been better served by taking USF over Houston.
  • It would have taken away some of the criticisms about the conference's Texas-centric focus.
  • It would have recognized the emergence of Florida and Georgia as a recruiting hotbed.
  • Big XII money would have helped USF return to the kind of football program it once was.
  • It would have given the conference an emerging rivalry game, 'The War on I-4.' Sure, there have been blow-outs, but there have been some spectacular games in the series. THOSE types of games are Brand-Builders for the teams involved and their intensity bolsters the overall conference.
Some interesting points. I think there is just so much annimosity toward USF partly, if not mostl,y because of all they said and did to keep us out of the Big East and AAC. You may be looking past all that annimosity to what may have been a better choice.

Reactions: DaShuckster
LOL YOU want to say THAT after the summer that Florida, Texas, and California have just had?

Nebraska has everything that anyone living in the middle of Texas has except the weeks-long, triple-digit temps and the frequent
Historically, Houston has been way better. Once they get rid of Holgerson they will get back on track.
Agree 100%. USF is not close to UH in the top 3 sports To suggest otherwise is naive FAU is on a better trajectory then USF not that I’m saying they r worthy either

Reactions: PositYourself
Agree 100%. USF is not close to UH in the top 3 sports To suggest otherwise is naive FAU is on a better trajectory then USF not that I’m saying they r worthy either
Agreed. UH football has done way more historically, shown the investment and then they have their elite basketball. What does usf bring exactly? A market that they don’t even own? Nope, no thanks. They can rot in hell.

Looks like it done. Glad to see SMU moving ahead.

Just a garbage move. Picking up 3 teams in case FSU, Clemson, and UNC bolt. What's left, if that happens, isn't any better than what the AAC was when we were there (for football). Cal is a garbage program...all they ever do is collect L's and paychecks. SMU is the only winner in this situation, guaranteeing themselves a seat at the table if they can survive 9 years without media rights money (which they have a lot of obscenely rich alumni). It's really little risk for themselves. The worst that could happen is they end up in a watered-down ACC, which is still better than what the AAC is now.

The biggest question for me is why Clemson and FSU would want to leave a conference where they dominate and it's not frowned-upon at all by 13 people sitting in a room. A real head-scratcher, like Oklahoma and Texas bolting for the SEC. If they go to the SEC or Big 10 it only decreases their chances of being a dominant program. Trade in your dominance for some money....no. It's not like they are getting paid like a G5 school. They are making plenty of money as-is. In the age of NIL you can find ways to offset media rights deals and pay players.

Good news in 3s, we win big, Florida loses, and usf 's chance at a P5 just died (tho they'll join the ACC when it breaks up and and the remains become G7)

Reactions: U C to the F
I still see the big 12 taking 4 teams from the ACC when teams in the Acc realize you will make more in the big12. Could be wrong

The biggest question for me is why Clemson and FSU would want to leave a conference where they dominate and it's not frowned-upon at all by 13 people sitting in a room. A real head-scratcher, like Oklahoma and Texas bolting for the SEC. If they go to the SEC or Big 10 it only decreases their chances of being a dominant program. Trade in your dominance for some money....no. It's not like they are getting paid like a G5 school. They are making plenty of money as-is. In the age of NIL you can find ways to offset media rights deals and pay players.
This is why two super conferences breaking away is the most likely scenario. Teams moving to B10/SEC made the conference harder to win and to make the championship. Unless the end game is to only have two conferences play for a national championship. Too much money and programs that are on the inside to believe they are making decisions to devalue their future.

From an ACC perspective, the additions make sense for a few reasons:

- Adding Cal, SMU, and Stanford ensures ESPN can’t renegotiate their contract before 2036, meaning we’ll receive the same revenue whether or not Clemson/FSU/UNC leave
- SMU foregoing media payouts for 7-9 years and Cal/Stanford taking a reduced share means they’ll be an additional $72M to distribute annually to existing members
- The ACC Network gets auto carriage access in California and Texas, specifically the Bay Area and DFW

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
I just have to disagree about renegotiating. If Clemson etc leave, do you really think no one else will? Once that happens, Louis. Pitt, Miami at least will actively search to head elsewhere, or get poached. You know full well if the SEC and Big10 swell, the XII isn't going to sit around contemplating their navel.

Although If they lose Clemson, FSU and UNC it has problems. It seems like it’s going the way of the Big East football wise.
If ACC stays 15 or more, they don't have to negotiate new deal with ESPN. This was a few million more per team now and more safety later.

Reactions: connerito
I just have to disagree about renegotiating. If Clemson etc leave, do you really think no one else will? Once that happens, Louis. Pitt, Miami at least will actively search to head elsewhere, or get poached. You know full well if the SEC and Big10 swell, the XII isn't going to sit around contemplating their navel.
but they just secured the value of that contract (about the same as what the big 12 is getting). so why would any of the remaining 15 leave for any conference but the the Big 10 or SEC?

If ACC stays 15 or more, they don't have to negotiate new deal with ESPN. This was a few million more per team now and more safety later.
I was looking at the competitiveness of the programs. The Big East added programs to their conference that did not equate with the programs they lost (UM, Va Tech)or even came close to them. Should the ACC lose those three programs to the Big Ten or SEC the new 3 programs do absolutely nothing to add as they are probably closer to bottom dwellers then competitive programs.

I’m intrigued with UCLA Chip Kelly’s suggestion that college football go to a divisional concept similar to the NFL. Have all the legitimate power five conference teams form an AFC/NFC concept.

Reactions: Yaes
Our deal looks better and better.
What an odd fit for CAL and Stanford. Just weird to be traveling so far out all the time. I get they didn't have much of a choice but meh. And also what weak additions to the ACC. I somewhat get why they added but man just a very weird set of teams to add. I was kind of hoping those two schools would be leftist, oh well.

I am happy for SMU though even though at first I laughed so hard at the 'deal' they made but if they have the money you might as well go for it, might very well be the last seat on the ark...

Reactions: connerito
but they just secured the value of that contract (about the same as what the big 12 is getting). so why would any of the remaining 15 leave for any conference but the the Big 10 or SEC?
Top 3 leave, do you think the new contract will be on par?

Top 3 leave, do you think the new contract will be on par?
there won't be a new contract until this current one expires in 2036. if the top 3 left then ESPN could have renegotiated new terms and paid them less. they've protected themselves from that with these additions.

there won't be a new contract until this current one expires in 2036. if the top 3 left then ESPN could have renegotiated new terms and paid them less. they've protected themselves from that with these additions.
Unless the others see the light and another conference offers them more. What if, bizarre as it is, the Big10 wants 1 of the 3 looking to leave, and thinks it also might like a twit like Miami? Now there's less than 15. Dominoes fall. Or, the 3 find some crack no one in existence knows about in the contract and leave, then a network decides the ACC is over time to prompt the XII to expand? It's not like that hasn't happened. Just saying, grabbing 3 may be a nice gimmick, but it might not be reality.

Unless the others see the light and another conference offers them more. What if, bizarre as it is, the Big10 wants 1 of the 3 looking to leave, and thinks it also might like a twit like Miami? Now there's less than 15. Dominoes fall. Or, the 3 find some crack no one in existence knows about in the contract and leave, then a network decides the ACC is over time to prompt the XII to expand? It's not like that hasn't happened. Just saying, grabbing 3 may be a nice gimmick, but it might not be reality.
ACC going after Notre Dame to even it out.

From an ACC perspective, the additions make sense for a few reasons:

- Adding Cal, SMU, and Stanford ensures ESPN can’t renegotiate their contract before 2036, meaning we’ll receive the same revenue whether or not Clemson/FSU/UNC leave
- SMU foregoing media payouts for 7-9 years and Cal/Stanford taking a reduced share means they’ll be an additional $72M to distribute annually to existing members
- The ACC Network gets auto carriage access in California and Texas, specifically the Bay Area and DFW

The ACC/ACCN will now be in the 5 largest states in the US and in cities with the highest Nielsen rankings.

I also like the the fact that Stanford and California will further enhance the ACC's reputation as a premiere Academic Conference which will include 9 AAU member Research Institutions.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT