ADVERTISEMENT

Couldn’t find thread where I said this is best receiving corps we’ve ever had

IDK, didn't we have a receiving core of these guys?

TreQuan Smith
Dedrick Snelson
Gabe Davis
Marlon Williams
Jordan Akins

If Nixon wasn't out all year, the case may be better.....yeah, the top 2 guys this year are awesome but we need more than the 2 guys. I'm concerned about next week.....

IDK, didn't we have a receiving core of these guys?

TreQuan Smith
Dedrick Snelson
Gabe Davis
Marlon Williams
Jordan Akins

If Nixon wasn't out all year, the case may be better.....yeah, the top 2 guys this year are awesome but we need more than the 2 guys. I'm concerned about next week.....
Akins is a TE, I’m not counting him. The other guys weren’t contributing at same time. When Nixon comes back he adds to it. If Harris could catch he’d be great. He drops way too many.
Hmmm...

Breshad Perriman
JJ Worton
Rannell Hall
Josh Reese
Jeff Godfrey
Perriman is my favorite all time but those others are not comparable to Nixon, Williams and Robinson. 3 future NFL players who are starters on same team.

BTW, look for Credle to enter Transfer Portal. His family is all over Facebook complaining he’s not getting targets and he had 0 catches last night.

Reactions: shacket
you're using the really great numbers of two players to say this our best receiving corps ever, but those stats are the very reason they aren't the best ever. we've actually had a receiving "corps" in the past where the wealth was spread around among guys so the big numbers for a small few wasn't there.

2002 had a great group. Four of the guys would play multiple seasons in the NFL and I believe Fryzel had a very productive Arena league career.

Doug Gabriel: 1289 yds/11 tds
Jimmy Fryzel: 1126/5 tds
Tavaris Capers: 456/5 tds

Michael Gains (TE), Darcy Johnson (TE), and Brandon Marshall on the roster as well.

you're using the really great numbers of two players to say this our best receiving corps ever, but those stats are the very reason they aren't the best ever. we've actually had a receiving "corps" in the past where the wealth was spread around among guys so the big numbers for a small few wasn't there.
Give me the year.

Top 5 have 2516 yards and 21 TDS combined with 3 games to go and maybe 4 in a shortened season. 5th is Nixon but I added him in because he’ll be in NFL and I counted him as 3 on same team that are starters. Not just on roster and redshirting or getting 1 target a game.

The offense is averaging 40+ pass attempts a game. Most years like 2017, the average was 30 per game.

The passing offense also had a pretty weak game yesterday. Definently quieted any talks about Gabriel.

and even as a duo, brandon marshall and sims-walker were better.
Top 5 RECEIVERS that years numbers will be beat by this years top 5 easily. In less games. They played 13. Best case scenario we play 11. But I’m also factoring in NFL success. Nixon, Robinson and Williams will be better than top 3 from that year or any other.

Akins is a TE, I’m not counting him. The other guys weren’t contributing at same time. When Nixon comes back he adds to it. If Harris could catch he’d be great. He drops way too many.

Perriman is my favorite all time but those others are not comparable to Nixon, Williams and Robinson. 3 future NFL players who are starters on same team.

Not going to count Akins? You lost all credibility in this thread....your post title says receiving Corp not WR.....and Akins was split out most of the time anyway

Last edited:
2002 had a great group. Four of the guys would play multiple seasons in the NFL and I believe Fryzel had a very productive Arena league career.

Doug Gabriel: 1289 yds/11 tds
Jimmy Fryzel: 1126/5 tds
Tavaris Capers: 456/5 tds

Michael Gains (TE), Darcy Johnson (TE), and Brandon Marshall on the roster as well.

Damn good group there....was Charles Lee around then as well?

Top 5 RECEIVERS that years numbers will be beat by this years top 5 easily. In less games. They played 13. Best case scenario we play 11. But I’m also factoring in NFL success. Nixon, Robinson and Williams will be better than top 3 from that year or any other.

OMG, how can you factor in NFL success? I know you don’t have a time machine otherwise you wouldn’t have started this thread.

Reactions: Asphalt.Jungle
OMG, how can you factor in NFL success? I know you don’t have a time machine otherwise you wouldn’t have started this thread.
It’s a prediction. You can’t go off of just college. Going to compare Independent opponents and CUSA to AAC? Level playing field is NFL. Best players. Some guys only play a year or 2 and some play 4 in college. You can’t compare that. Brandon Marshall played DB half the time.

Not going to count Akins? You lost all credibility in this thread....your post title says receiving Corp not WR.....and Akins was split out most of the time anyway
I’m not counting TEs or RBs as Receiving Corps. Just WRs. Just like saying Best Backfield of all time I wouldn’t count TEs and WRs or QBs. Even if they lined up or ran a jet sweep or a pass backwards on occasion. Just RB, HB and FB.

2005:
Imagine if these two had had Bortles throwing to them under O’Leary’s system. Better yet, Milton or Gabriel throwing to them in the system we now run. These guys both played defense (safety and CB) the previous season in 2004 when O’Leary purged the team of like 30 or so players and we didn’t win a game. He just played athletes where he thought they could most help the team:
Brandon Marshall (74 for 1195 yds and 11 TDs) - Played in the NFL
Mike Sims-Walker (64 for 845 and 9 TDs) - Played in the NFL
Darcy Johnson - Played in the NFL
Rocky Ross
Sergio Joachim

Last edited:
Reactions: lawknight
2005:
Imagine if these two had had Bortles throwing to them under O’Leary’s system. Better yet, Milton or Gabriel throwing to them in the system we now run. These guys both played defense (safety and CB) the previous season in 2004 when O’Leary purged the team of like 30 or so players and we didn’t win a game. He just played athletes where he thought they could most help the team:
Brandon Marshall (74 for 1195 yds and 11 TDs)
Mike Sims-Walker (64 for 845 and 9 TDs)
Darcy Johnson
Rocky Ross
Sergio Joachim

Nope, none of these guys qualify using the OP's invitational scheme.....Marshall and Walker played DB for awhile...so no go, TEs don't count (sorry Johnson), guys that Marshall decide not to cover can't be any good (Ross) so one tall guy that didn't catch many balls is all that's left......try again another time.

Nope, none of these guys qualify using the OP's invitational scheme.....Marshall and Walker played DB for awhile...so no go, TEs don't count (sorry Johnson), guys that Marshall decide not to cover can't be any good (Ross) so one tall guy that didn't catch many balls is all that's left......try again another time.
No I’m giving them those 2. Marshall right now is at top of list when you factor in NFL. MSW was mostly a role player in NFL though. I don’t think the 3 this year will be mostly role players. They will be part of game plan. Even Smith for Saints isn’t really in game plan. He’s 5th or 6th option.

Darcy is listed as a WR on the 2005 roster. I know he mainly played TE.

BTW, look for Credle to enter Transfer Portal. His family is all over Facebook complaining he’s not getting targets and he had 0 catches last night.
Lol if that’s true. UCF puts WR in the NFL. Williams and Nixon will be gone next year. He’s a true freshman

Harris with his size and speed would make this corp have way more to say....alas, his block hands

Reactions: vroomba
This will be the game for the passing game to show they are the best.

Cincinnati has only given up 2 passing TDs, and has 12 ints this year. That includes playing against the 3 other top Passing offenses from AAC (Memphis, SMU, Houston).

Lol if that’s true. UCF puts WR in the NFL. Williams and Nixon will be gone next year. He’s a true freshman
He'll get his shot next year. Marlon Williams will go pro. Tre Nixon???? I don't know. Not playing could be a killer on him getting drafted even late or being a FA. I'm thinking he has to come back and prove himself. That 3rd WR next year is wide open.

Reactions: JAFFX2
He'll get his shot next year. Marlon Williams will go pro. Tre Nixon???? I don't know. Not playing could be a killer on him getting drafted even late or being a FA. I'm thinking he has to come back and prove himself. That 3rd WR next year is wide open.

The additional year of eligibility seems like it will make for a stockpile of players for the draft in the future.

The additional year of eligibility seems like it will make for a stockpile of players for the draft in the future.
It could also be an issue for incoming recruiting classes as guys you thought or expected to leave stay, chewing up scholarships.

Anyone that’s ever played football before (or even been around it) understands that system matters when comparing stats/eras/coaching schemes.

I love Williams and Robinson, they are stepping up big this year. But this is the #1 offense in the country, they run more plays than anyone else in the conference. With the pace they play at, of course the high usage players will put up numbers. Could you imagine Sims-Walker, Marshall, Doug Gabriel, Perriman, etc in this offense!?

Some receivers played on O’Leary clubs that handed the ball off 45 times a game.

Comparing numbers like you’re trying to do means very little, not sure why you keep bringing this up.

His family said Heup lied to them. Saying he’d get chance to show what he could do right away. When they do it’s always a screen play. They want downfield like the other guys.

Didn’t he drop a pass right into his hands in the temple game? I think he could be good, but I’d think he’d be more circumspect than to bolt after his freshman year. Especially since he has the opportunity to play on a very pass heavy team.

I hope this talk calms down.....he is getting more looks than Ahmad

BTW, what happened to Trillion Coles?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT