ADVERTISEMENT

Covid deaths pushing toward 5k per day.

Is Covid-19 worse than the flu?

• Total voters
Bump so people can go back and see what predictions were being made months ago.
I don’t think we are going to hit 150,000, but it’s going to be damn close. I hope that we do. Wouldn’t want to disappoint the shook left

I don’t think we are going to hit 150,000, but it’s going to be damn close. I hope that we do. Wouldn’t want to disappoint the shook left
I'd say you nailed that one. Pretty amazing how much things change from week to week and we will still hit the projection.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Awesome!

Wouldn’t want Trump to be a tyrant and put individual states on a strict lockdown now would we?

Awesome!

Wouldn’t want Trump to be a tyrant and put individual states on a strict lockdown now would we?
When we have outbreaks in blue states, its Trumps fault. When they are in red states, its the governors fault. Get with the program, you mouth-breathing inbred incel.

When we have outbreaks in blue states, its Trumps fault. When they are in red states, its the governors fault. Get with the program, you mouth-breathing inbred incel.
Bruh, I heard that when it's a blue state it's that state's governor's fault and when it's a red state it's still that blue state's governor's fault.

If you would have told me back in 2016 that 2020 would find us in one of the worst recessions and 100K+ Americans dead directly due to horrendous leadership I would have absolutely believed you.

I think it was the right call to make in the beginning. The one thing I would have done differently and said it right off the bat is that since we don't know what we are dealing with we should take things 2 weeks at a time. Shutdown, reassess, adjust, etc.

Why some people think the initial response is still the right one is kind of bizarre to me. Things on the ground change, not changing with it is nothing more than hubris.
Bump for shuckster

Let the record show that I dutifully acknowledge you gave your "2 weeks at a time" line before today. :)

Let the record also show that it turned out to be bullshit since the '2 week assessment' back in May was to IGNORE the coronavirus protocols and cave in to the "open up the economy NOW come hell or high water" movement.

One would THINK the undeniable fact this country is currently experiencing all-time highs in covid infections and covid deaths would tell us we screwed up.

now its killing whales. wear your mask

1605727222520.jpg

• Haha
Let the record show that I dutifully acknowledge you gave your "2 weeks at a time" line before today. :)

Let the record also show that it turned out to be bullshit since the '2 week assessment' back in May was to IGNORE the coronavirus protocols and cave in to the "open up the economy NOW come hell or high water" movement.

One would THINK the undeniable fact this country is currently experiencing all-time highs in covid infections and covid deaths would tell us we screwed up.
And where would we be right now if the powers-that-be had followed that system? They would have the credibility to come out and say "ok people, we have a problem again. Let's shut down for 2 weeks and try to get this under control again". Instead, we are facing another round of unending lockdowns that people can't survive. There is nobody out there that believes a word that any other these people say, rightfully so. The average person looks at this now and thinks "i lost my business or well being for a 99.98% survival rate?"

And where would we be right now if the powers-that-be had followed that system? They would have the credibility to come out and say "ok people, we have a problem again. Let's shut down for 2 weeks and try to get this under control again".
If the first shutdown -- and everything else the Trump Administration screwed up about our virus response -- had been handled correctly, it's likely that small businesses wouldn't have to be worried about another shutdown.

If the first shutdown -- and everything else the Trump Administration screwed up about our virus response -- had been handled correctly, it's likely that small businesses wouldn't have to be worried about another shutdown.
This is where you guys lose all credibility. I say "we should have done this, what do you think?" and your response is "Trump screwed up". After 10 months I would think you guys could actually give some specifics on what should have been done as opposed to just complaining about what we did do.

This is where you guys lose all credibility. I say "we should have done this, what do you think?" and your response is "Trump screwed up". After 10 months I would think you guys could actually give some specifics on what should have been done as opposed to just complaining about what we did do.
You say this after I gave you the specifics on what we should have done when you asked for it. Once again, I've posted it below:

If you want to continue to ignore it, that's your prerogative. But please spare us your sanctimonious "all you lefties do is complain" crap.
Okay, Crazy. It's too long for a message board post but nevertheless, here we go one more time:

Just like other countries that successfully dealt with Covid-19, we could have used our original shutdown to dramatically lower the infection numbers -- while simultaneously fast-tracking testing so that once our number were low enough, we could react quickly and effectively when new infections popped up. Contact tracing would be implemented and with the appropriate quarantining, outbreaks could, and would, be nipped in the bud.

But we NEVER got the infection numbers under control. We were so impatient to reopen businesses across the country that we allowed States to reopen before they met coronavirus guidelines that were set by our health experts in the Trump Administration. The worst part of that fact is that these premature openings were encouraged by Trump and Republican governors.

As you may recall (since you were one of the people here leading the charge), we were told that we simply MUST reopen for the sake of businesses even if it meant more infections. Remember? As I said at the time, it would do struggling small businesses no good if we reopened early only to have to turn around and shutdown them down again. Guess what? That's exactly what's happening now in some places and is likely to continue.

And what about the notion of getting the numbers so low that we could keep businesses open throughout the rest of the pandemic because we had ratcheted up the availability of testing? Well, that never happened for a number of reasons but the biggest one being that we never got the numbers down low enough to make such a testing effort manageable.

Having everyone in the country doing their patriotic duty and following the experts' commonsense safety guidelines wouldn't have eliminated the virus (although places like New Zealand and South Korea have come awfully damn close), it would have allowed us to distribute the vaccine when its ready without the urgency and intense pressure that we will see taking place throughout the nation next year.

In a nutshell, the notion that there's 'just no way' we can stop the spread has been disproven by other countries who have done it. And if you believe you have to have a totalitarian government that employs a national lockdown in order to stop the spread, why has New Zealand been so successful in its efforts? As of today, they have 61 active cases (3 new ones in the past 24 hours) and a death toll of 25.

You say this after I gave you the specifics on what we should have done when you asked for it. Once again, I've posted it below:

If you want to continue to ignore it, that's your prerogative. But please spare us your sanctimonious "all you lefties do is complain" crap.
That's all fine and well, but define "under control".

That's all fine and well, but define "under control".
Although coronaviruses were first identified nearly 60 years ago, they only received notoriety in 2003 when one of their members was identified as the aetiological agent of severe acute respiratory syndrome. Previously these viruses were known to be important agents of respiratory and enteric infections of domestic and companion animals and to cause approximately 15% of all cases of the common cold. This Review focuses on recent advances in our understanding of the mechanisms of coronavirus replication, interactions with the host immune response and disease pathogenesis. It also highlights the recent identification of numerous novel coronaviruses and the propensity of this virus family to cross species barriers.

Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)-like bat coronavirus (BtCoV) spread and adapted to wild animals such as the Himalayan palm civet that was sold as food in Chinese wet markets. The virus frequently spread to animal handlers in these markets, but caused minimal or no disease. Further adaptation resulted in strains that replicated efficiently in the human host, caused disease and could spread from person to person. b | Human coronavirus OC43 (HCoV-OC43) and bovine coronavirus (BCoV) are closely related and it is thought that the virus originated in one species and then crossed species. BCoV has also spread to numerous other animals, such as alpaca and wild ruminants. c | Feline coronavirus I (FCoV-I) and canine coronavirus I (CCoV-I) are thought to share a common ancestor. CCoV-I underwent recombination with an unknown coronavirus to give rise to canine coronavirus II (CCoV-II). CCoV-II in turn underwent recombination with FCoV-I (in an unknown host) to give rise to feline coronavirus II (FCoV-II). CCoV-II probably also spread to pigs, resulting in transmissible gastroenteritis virus (TGEV).

Coronavirus-mediated diseases

Before the SARS epidemic of 2002–2003, two human coronaviruses, HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-229E, were recognized as important causes of upper respiratory tract infections and were occasionally associated with more severe pulmonary disease in the elderly, newborn and immunocompromised62. SARS-CoV, unlike HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-229E, causes a severe respiratory disease, and nearly 10% mortality was observed in 2002–2003 (Ref. 1). Notable features of the disease were an apparent worsening of symptoms as the virus was cleared (suggesting the disease had an immunopathological basis), and a lack of contagion until lower respiratory tract symptoms were apparent. This latter feature made control of the epidemic by quarantine feasible, as it simplified identification of infected patients. Unlike HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-229E, SARS-CoV also caused systemic disease, with evidence of infection of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, kidney and brain, among other tissues63. Although the virus spread primarily via respiratory droplets, infection of the gastrointestinal tract may have facilitated other routes of spread.

The recognition that SARS was caused by a coronavirus intensified the search for other pathogenic coronaviruses associated with human disease, which led to the identification of HCoV-NL63 and HCoV-HKU1. These viruses were isolated from hospitalized patients, either young children with severe respiratory disease (HCoV-NL63)64,65 or elderly patients with underlying medical problems (HCoV-HKU1)65,66. HCoV-NL63 has infected human populations for centuries, as phylogenetic studies show that it diverged from HCoV-229E nearly 1,000 years ago67. HCoV-NL63 and HCoV-HKU1 have worldwide distributions and generally cause mild upper respiratory tract diseases, with the exception that HCoV-NL63 is also an aetiological agent of croup68. HCoV-NL63 can be propagated in tissue culture cells, and an infectious cDNA clone of this virus was recently engineered, facilitating future studies69. By contrast, HCoV-HKU1 cannot be grown in tissue culture cells, which makes it imperative that an infectious cDNA clone be developed for future studies.

Although the severe disease forming capabilities of human coronaviruses were only recognized because of the SARS epidemic, it was well known that animal coronaviruses could cause life-threatening disease. TGEV, which causes diarrhoea in piglets, infectious bronchitis virus (IBV), a cause of severe upper respiratory tract and kidney disease in chickens, and bovine coronavirus (BCoV), which causes respiratory tract disease and diarrhoea in cattle ('winter dysentery' and 'shipping fever'), are all economically important pathogens. Feline infectious peritonitis virus (FIPV), a virulent feline coronavirus (FCoV), causes an invariably fatal systemic disease in domestic cats and other felines. Unlike most strains of FCoV, which are endemic causes of mild diarrhoea, FIPV arises sporadically, most likely by mutation or deletion in felines persistently infected with enteric strains of FCoV70, and is macrophage-tropic.

Perhaps the most convincing explanation for FIPV-mediated disease was suggested by the observation that progressive waves of virus replication, lymphopenia and ineffectual T cell responses occurred in feline infectious peritonitis (FIP)71. In conjunction with previous studies, these results raised the possibility that FIPV infection of macrophages and dendritic cells caused aberrant cytokine and/or chemokine expression and lymphocyte depletion, resulting in enhanced virus loads and, consequently, a fatal outcome. Although this explanation is appealing, additional work is needed to prove its validity. Notably, anti-FIPV antibody-mediated enhancement has been implicated in pathogenesis, but this has been shown only after immunization with S protein expressing vaccines72; it has not been shown to play a role in a natural feline infection.

Cross-species transmission

A striking feature of the 2002–2003 SARS epidemic was the ability of the SARS-CoV to cross species from Himalayan palm civets (Paguma larvata), raccoon dogs (Nyctereutes procyonoides) and Chinese ferret badgers (Melogale moschata) to infect human populations73 (Fig. 5a). Transmission occurred in live animal retail (wet) markets, where animal handlers became infected. In retrospect, it seems that variants of SARS-CoV related to the epidemic strain infected human populations in the wet markets fairly frequently, as is shown by the high seropositivity rate detected in animal handlers who did not develop SARS-like illnesses73. The epidemic began when a physician who was treating personnel in the wet markets became infected and subsequently infected multiple contacts

This Paper was written in Nature magazine. We had prior knowledge. Also talks about Hydrochlroxine not being affective...

Although coronaviruses were first identified nearly 60 years ago, they only received notoriety in 2003 when one of their members was identified as the aetiological agent of severe acute respiratory syndrome. Previously these viruses were known to be important agents of respiratory and enteric infections of domestic and companion animals and to cause approximately 15% of all cases of the common cold. This Review focuses on recent advances in our understanding of the mechanisms of coronavirus replication, interactions with the host immune response and disease pathogenesis. It also highlights the recent identification of numerous novel coronaviruses and the propensity of this virus family to cross species barriers.

Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)-like bat coronavirus (BtCoV) spread and adapted to wild animals such as the Himalayan palm civet that was sold as food in Chinese wet markets. The virus frequently spread to animal handlers in these markets, but caused minimal or no disease. Further adaptation resulted in strains that replicated efficiently in the human host, caused disease and could spread from person to person. b | Human coronavirus OC43 (HCoV-OC43) and bovine coronavirus (BCoV) are closely related and it is thought that the virus originated in one species and then crossed species. BCoV has also spread to numerous other animals, such as alpaca and wild ruminants. c | Feline coronavirus I (FCoV-I) and canine coronavirus I (CCoV-I) are thought to share a common ancestor. CCoV-I underwent recombination with an unknown coronavirus to give rise to canine coronavirus II (CCoV-II). CCoV-II in turn underwent recombination with FCoV-I (in an unknown host) to give rise to feline coronavirus II (FCoV-II). CCoV-II probably also spread to pigs, resulting in transmissible gastroenteritis virus (TGEV).

Coronavirus-mediated diseases

Before the SARS epidemic of 2002–2003, two human coronaviruses, HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-229E, were recognized as important causes of upper respiratory tract infections and were occasionally associated with more severe pulmonary disease in the elderly, newborn and immunocompromised62. SARS-CoV, unlike HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-229E, causes a severe respiratory disease, and nearly 10% mortality was observed in 2002–2003 (Ref. 1). Notable features of the disease were an apparent worsening of symptoms as the virus was cleared (suggesting the disease had an immunopathological basis), and a lack of contagion until lower respiratory tract symptoms were apparent. This latter feature made control of the epidemic by quarantine feasible, as it simplified identification of infected patients. Unlike HCoV-OC43 and HCoV-229E, SARS-CoV also caused systemic disease, with evidence of infection of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, kidney and brain, among other tissues63. Although the virus spread primarily via respiratory droplets, infection of the gastrointestinal tract may have facilitated other routes of spread.

The recognition that SARS was caused by a coronavirus intensified the search for other pathogenic coronaviruses associated with human disease, which led to the identification of HCoV-NL63 and HCoV-HKU1. These viruses were isolated from hospitalized patients, either young children with severe respiratory disease (HCoV-NL63)64,65 or elderly patients with underlying medical problems (HCoV-HKU1)65,66. HCoV-NL63 has infected human populations for centuries, as phylogenetic studies show that it diverged from HCoV-229E nearly 1,000 years ago67. HCoV-NL63 and HCoV-HKU1 have worldwide distributions and generally cause mild upper respiratory tract diseases, with the exception that HCoV-NL63 is also an aetiological agent of croup68. HCoV-NL63 can be propagated in tissue culture cells, and an infectious cDNA clone of this virus was recently engineered, facilitating future studies69. By contrast, HCoV-HKU1 cannot be grown in tissue culture cells, which makes it imperative that an infectious cDNA clone be developed for future studies.

Although the severe disease forming capabilities of human coronaviruses were only recognized because of the SARS epidemic, it was well known that animal coronaviruses could cause life-threatening disease. TGEV, which causes diarrhoea in piglets, infectious bronchitis virus (IBV), a cause of severe upper respiratory tract and kidney disease in chickens, and bovine coronavirus (BCoV), which causes respiratory tract disease and diarrhoea in cattle ('winter dysentery' and 'shipping fever'), are all economically important pathogens. Feline infectious peritonitis virus (FIPV), a virulent feline coronavirus (FCoV), causes an invariably fatal systemic disease in domestic cats and other felines. Unlike most strains of FCoV, which are endemic causes of mild diarrhoea, FIPV arises sporadically, most likely by mutation or deletion in felines persistently infected with enteric strains of FCoV70, and is macrophage-tropic.

Perhaps the most convincing explanation for FIPV-mediated disease was suggested by the observation that progressive waves of virus replication, lymphopenia and ineffectual T cell responses occurred in feline infectious peritonitis (FIP)71. In conjunction with previous studies, these results raised the possibility that FIPV infection of macrophages and dendritic cells caused aberrant cytokine and/or chemokine expression and lymphocyte depletion, resulting in enhanced virus loads and, consequently, a fatal outcome. Although this explanation is appealing, additional work is needed to prove its validity. Notably, anti-FIPV antibody-mediated enhancement has been implicated in pathogenesis, but this has been shown only after immunization with S protein expressing vaccines72; it has not been shown to play a role in a natural feline infection.

Cross-species transmission

A striking feature of the 2002–2003 SARS epidemic was the ability of the SARS-CoV to cross species from Himalayan palm civets (Paguma larvata), raccoon dogs (Nyctereutes procyonoides) and Chinese ferret badgers (Melogale moschata) to infect human populations73 (Fig. 5a). Transmission occurred in live animal retail (wet) markets, where animal handlers became infected. In retrospect, it seems that variants of SARS-CoV related to the epidemic strain infected human populations in the wet markets fairly frequently, as is shown by the high seropositivity rate detected in animal handlers who did not develop SARS-like illnesses73. The epidemic began when a physician who was treating personnel in the wet markets became infected and subsequently infected multiple contacts

This Paper was written in Nature magazine. We had prior knowledge. Also talks about Hydrochlroxine not being affective...

Oh wow! That explains what "under control" means. Thanks Pablo!

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT