ADVERTISEMENT

COVID Temperature Screening Kiosks-need your input

UCF87

Bronze Knight
May 29, 2001
Cleveland, TN
I am a project manager involved in finding a vendor for Visitor and Staff temperature screening as they enter a long term health care facility. We have narrowed down the list to 3 vendors. I wanted to get your take on this screening solution that is becoming more common place. These scanners only take surface body temperature and not core temperature. So if you have a sunburn on your face, (as one of many examples) your surface temperature will not match your core. I suspect there will be some false positives whereby a Nurse will be called to take a your temperature with a thermometer if the alarm goes off or you get a visual denial on the Kiosk.

Do you think this is something you would comply with? Would you wait 3 seconds to get a result? What about a false positive? Would there be a frustration level to deal with? Or is this just the sign of the times. Health care facilities are at risk of lawsuits if they do not take precautions to protect Staff and Residents. Right now some are probably answering COVID questions before starting work, or get medical/dental care.

Would appreciate your input.

I am a project manager involved in finding a vendor for Visitor and Staff temperature screening as they enter a long term health care facility. We have narrowed down the list to 3 vendors. I wanted to get your take on this screening solution that is becoming more common place. These scanners only take surface body temperature and not core temperature. So if you have a sunburn on your face, (as one of many examples) your surface temperature will not match your core. I suspect there will be some false positives whereby a Nurse will be called to take a your temperature with a thermometer if the alarm goes off or you get a visual denial on the Kiosk.

Do you think this is something you would comply with? Would you wait 3 seconds to get a result? What about a false positive? Would there be a frustration level to deal with? Or is this just the sign of the times. Health care facilities are at risk of lawsuits if they do not take precautions to protect Staff and Residents. Right now some are probably answering COVID questions before starting work, or get medical/dental care.

Would appreciate your input.
Well if it's accuracy you're concerned about, let me suggest the DataTherm II Temperature Monitor. It may cost a little more since you'll need one for each employee, but it will read their temperature continuously, provide a reading every 4 seconds, and provide their core temperate (not skin) the most accurate way (rectal, of course).

Digital Rectal Temperature Monitor

Oh, and if you're in any of your employees function in an office environment, I would recommend you consider the cost of replacing your standard office desks and chairs with stand-up desks when evaluating this product. Also, don't forget the cost of replacement probes.

RobUCF, I think that would be a hard sell and pretty invasive for you coming in to see your Mom or Dad and have to get a rectal temp check before we let you in.

Unfortunately the maximum viral load seems to happen before temperature increases.

It was bad enough at 5-6 days when Wuhan-1 and Alpha were prevalent, but now it's a mere 3-4 days with Delta ... well before your body will have any raise in temperature. And by the time you're temperature is up, the viral load is already going down ... unless one is diseased.

But spread seems to be unaffected by whether one is asymptomatic or diseased, sadly enough.

Reactions: UCF87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT