ADVERTISEMENT

Desantis considering sitting out '24?

Cubs79

Golden Knight
Jan 4, 2014

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. He is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he runs against Trump, Trump is going to tear him apart and his tough guy persona might very well take a big hit. If he waits until '28, he could very well be old news and not much of a contender.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. He is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he runs against Trump, Trump is going to tear him apart and his tough guy persona might very well take a big hit. If he waits until '28, he could very well be old news and not much of a contender.
How is Trump going to run for president from jail?

He is lying

upset that Trump is doing a Rally in Florida where he is not invited and trying to manipulate him from a distance so he doesn’t start the attacks too early

Last edited:
Mid term night was better for DeSantis than Trump for sure.
538 had Ron winning by 10 percentage points. He annihilated Crist by 19%. Side note--they had MArco winning by 7% over Val and that was another whooping as well.

The buzz was that the RNC would really take him seriously if he won by 7%. He should come out of this as the clear front-runner for POTUS in 2024.

538 had Ron winning by 10 percentage points. He annihilated Crist by 19%. Side note--they had MArco winning by 7% over Val and that was another whooping as well.

The buzz was that the RNC would really take him seriously if he won by 7%. He should come out of this as the clear front-runner for POTUS in 2024.

Florida is looking like the one place Republicans exceeded expectations. I think Desantis should be the GOP front runner as well, I also think he will have a hard time winning the presidency in 24 unless attitudes towards the GOP change quite a bit between now and '24.

Florida is looking like the one place Republicans exceeded expectations. I think Desantis should be the GOP front runner as well, I also think he will have a hard time winning the presidency in 24 unless attitudes towards the GOP change quite a bit between now and '24.
I think it completely depends on who runs against him in 2024. If it is Biden, Ron should start picking out curtains and hire an interior decorator for the WH. Kamala? Who else?

And I know what I am about to say isn't scientific (and it's still Florida), but I know a TON of democrats who voted for Ronnie for governor. Hell, my wife for the first time in her life voted for a republican in him.

I think it completely depends on who runs against him in 2024. If it is Biden, Ron should start picking out curtains and hire an interior decorator for the WH. Kamala? Who else?

And I know what I am about to say isn't scientific (and it's still Florida), but I know a TON of democrats who voted for Ronnie for governor. Hell, my wife for the first time in her life voted for a republican in him.

I am not sure about that. I think last night showed Biden isnt running people off as much as people expected. If inflation is down by '24, I think the Democrats win easily, if it isnt then Desantis or whoever could certainly win. He needs to stop with the political stunts and culture war stuff though, the candidates who embrace that stuff didnt do great.

I am not sure about that. I think last night showed Biden isnt running people off as much as people expected. If inflation is down by '24, I think the Democrats win easily, if it isnt then Desantis or whoever could certainly win. He needs to stop with the political stunts and culture war stuff though, the candidates who embrace that stuff didnt do great.
I think you need to rethink. Win easily?

I think you need to rethink. Win easily?

Maybe not easily, but at least somewhat convincingly. I think last night changes a lot of this. The MAGA people didnt do well, and inflation didnt hurt Democrats as much as expected. If inflation is down by then, I think Republicans are going to have a rough go of it, especially if they continue to embrace a lot of these culture war type issues.

Maybe not easily, but at least somewhat convincingly. I think last night changes a lot of this. The MAGA people didnt do well, and inflation didnt hurt Democrats as much as expected. If inflation is down by then, I think Republicans are going to have a rough go of it, especially if they continue to embrace a lot of these culture war type issues.
The MAGA people didn't do well, yes. Ron isn't MAGA and resonates past that crowd. That is what you continue NOT to see.

The MAGA people didn't do well, yes. Ron isn't MAGA and resonates past that crowd. That is what you continue NOT to see.
He is MAGA adjacent and wouldnt have won the GOP primary 2018 without Trump's endorsement. ANd he certainly is into culture wars and political stunts. That will play in many deep red states, but not sure that is going to win over voters in GA, the rust belt states, etc.

He is MAGA adjacent and wouldnt have won the GOP primary 2018 without Trump's endorsement. ANd he certainly is into culture wars and political stunts. That will play in many deep red states, but not sure that is going to win over voters in GA, the rust belt states, etc.
Sorry, It’s 2022 at last check and right now, Trump is doing his level best to destroy him.

GA? Really? He’d win that state easily. Lmao.

Sorry, It’s 2022 at last check and right now, Trump is doing his level best to destroy him.

GA? Really? He’d win that state easily. Lmao.
I am talking about a general election, not the primary. HIs speech last night was all about "woke", he is anti-abortion, etc. Candidates with those types of messages didnt do well last night overall. He is either going to have to pivot more to the moderate side, or he is going to have a difficult time winning. Winning in Florida isnt the same thing as winning in PA, WIsconsin, AZ, etc etc.

I am talking about a general election, not the primary. HIs speech last night was all about "woke", he is anti-abortion, etc. Candidates with those types of messages didnt do well last night overall. He is either going to have to pivot more to the moderate side, or he is going to have a difficult time winning. Winning in Florida isnt the same thing as winning in PA, WIsconsin, AZ, etc etc.
As am I. The republicans who refused to vote for trump and went for Biden aren’t NEARLY GOING to have a problem with Ron.

Ron vs. Biden? Ron wins
Ron vs. Kamala? Ron wins

Ron vs. mayor Pete? Now you are getting somewhere.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
As am I. The republicans who refused to vote for trump and went for Biden aren’t NEARLY GOING to have a problem with Ron.

Ron vs. Biden? Ron wins
Ron vs. Kamala? Ron wins

Ron vs. mayor Pete? Now you are getting somewhere.

He is going to have to come up with something more than "wokeness" to beat them.

He is going to have to come up with something more than "wokeness" to beat them.
100%.

Just as his opponents on the left are going to have to come up with something other than being woke themselves to get elected.

Nationally I don't think the candidate matters. People no longer vote for the person they voted for the party. If you are blue you vote blue if red you vote red.

The biggest complaint I have is they can't get the votes counted within 3 to 6 hours of closing the polls. It is nonsense that they can't count them for days or weeks.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Nationally I don't think the candidate matters. People no longer vote for the person they voted for the party. If you are blue you vote blue if red you vote red.

The biggest complaint I have is they can't get the votes counted within 3 to 6 hours of closing the polls. It is nonsense that they can't count them for days or weeks.

Not sure that is true. Look at GA, Kemp won easily but it appears there is going to be a run off for the senate, which means quite a few people didnt vote for straight party ticket, they voted on individual candidates. Plus, most of the Republican losers are the MAGA people, which is a sign the quality of the candidate does matter, and not just the party they are in. How that will play out in a presidential election in '24 we will have to see, but it seems people are willing to vote a split ticket.

This is what peak leadership looks like:

Holy fücking shit you people are in a cult. There are no words in the English language to accurately portray just how much of an international embarrassment this shitstain was as the leader of the free world.

I agree with @KnighttimeJoe, if the Republicans are smart and want to win in 24, they’ll drop Trump off a bridge and run Ron. He’d wipe the floor with Biden, Kamala, Pete and any of the other Dem wannabes.

Now if the Dems are smart, they’ll get the best doctors in the world up to PA to make sure Fetterman completely recovers from his stroke. IMO he is the only rising star in the Dem party that could potentially steal back working class votes for the Democratic Party. Union background, big on worker’s right in which the guy looks like a biker and feels like a candidate the Republicans would run, but has progressive qualities about him.

Reactions: KnighttimeJoe
I agree with @KnighttimeJoe, if the Republicans are smart and want to win in 24, they’ll drop Trump off a bridge and run Ron. He’d wipe the floor with Biden, Kamala, Pete and any of the other Dem wannabes.

Now if the Dems are smart, they’ll get the best doctors in the world up to PA to make sure Fetterman completely recovers from his stroke. IMO he is the only rising star in the Dem party that could potentially steal back working class votes for the Democratic Party. Union background, big on worker’s right in which the guy looks like a biker and feels like a candidate the Republicans would run, but has progressive qualities about him.
No he won’t. Desantis will be weaker in the Midwest compared to Trump

• Haha
Reactions: KnighttimeJoe

Obviously things can change between now and '24, but based off of these midterms, I dont know why you are so confident Desantis would wipe the floor with any Dems. Florida isnt the entire country and shouldnt be interpreted as such. Republicans had a very disappointing day nationwide.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Obviously things can change between now and '24, but based off of these midterms, I dont know why you are so confident Desantis would wipe the floor with any Dems. Florida isnt the entire country and shouldnt be interpreted as such. Republicans had a very disappointing day nationwide.
You’re right they did because the Republicans ran too many Trump sycophants on nothing but grievance politics alone. But Ron is different from them in that he’s a chameleon.

Navy veteran, Harvard grad in which he’s enough of a “fighter” for their social grievances that the MAGA ppl would fall in line to vote for him even if he doesn’t have the cult of personality of Trump. But I think he’s smart enough to know when to drop that crap and focus on traditional Conservative causes like the economy and taxes when he’s starting to alienate big business and the traditional donors. He goes populist when he needs to without fully committing to the cause. Just look at the Disney thing. He made a huge stink, got what he wanted politically out of it, and dropped it all as to not completely piss off the big corporations.

I think he could potentially win a lot of moderate and potential swing voters in 2024 especially if the economy is still shaky in ways Trump just can’t after Jan 6th and two impeachments. Especially if an ancient Biden, Kamala, Warren, Sanders, or another weak Dem is on the ticket.

He’s got enough of the Trump style politics in him to excite the GOP base but can do it all without the reality tv show narcissism, the sucking up to dictators, stupid Twitter gaffe’s, and the other insanity Trump could never get out of his system.

You’re right they did because the Republicans ran too many Trump sycophants on nothing but grievance politics alone. But Ron is different from them in that he’s a chameleon.

Navy veteran, Harvard grad in which he’s enough of a “fighter” for their social grievances that the MAGA ppl would fall in line to vote for him even if he doesn’t have the cult of personality of Trump. But I think he’s smart enough to know when to drop that crap and focus on traditional Conservative causes like the economy and taxes when he’s starting to alienate big business and the traditional donors. He goes populist when he needs to without fully committing to the cause. Just look at the Disney thing. He made a huge stink, got what he wanted politically out of it, and dropped it all as to not completely piss off the big corporations.

I think he could potentially win a lot of moderate and potential swing voters in 2024 especially if the economy is still shaky in ways Trump just can’t after Jan 6th and two impeachments. Especially if an ancient Biden, Kamala, Warren, Sanders, or another weak Dem is on the ticket.

He’s got enough of the Trump style politics in him to excite the GOP base but can do it all without the reality tv show narcissism, the sucking up to dictators, stupid Twitter gaffe’s, and the other insanity Trump could never get out of his system.

He is a Freedom Caucus anti abortion Republican. He is basically the political equivalent to someone like Jim Jordan. Those arent the types of candidates moderates are typically attracted to.

Fetterman. LMMFAO. Now there’s officially someone in office with less brain function than Biden.

Yeah, the guy who punishes a corporation for criticizing him and takes away prosecutorial discretion from an elected attorney is all about grievance politics.
Let me rephrase. He plays the hits that rally the Trump base without “the woe is me the election was stolen” blues. And would have the backing of the Republican establishment in a way I don’t think Trump ever got. He’s a far more dangerous candidate.

Let me rephrase. He plays the hits that rally the Trump base without “the woe is me the election was stolen” blues. And would have the backing of the Republican establishment in a way I don’t think Trump ever got. He’s a far more dangerous candidate.

But that doesnt mean he will be overly appealing to moderates. I think he has a chance to do will well in the GOP primary (although we will see how it all plays out with Trump), but that doesnt guarantee that moderates and swing voters are going to like him in a general election. His abortion stance is not going to be popular with people, as we have seen throughout the country. I dont think his culture war stuff and war on "woke" is going to be overly popular, and at this point, these are the things he is known for. You take away the far right part of Desantis and what do you have? Under his leadership Florida has become more and more unaffordable, the insurance markets are a mess, teachers have been quitting their jobs, etc etc. These are real life issues that impact people that he will have to answer for on a national stage, where as most of the "woke" culture war stuff doesnt impact peoples lives.

By "anti abortion" you mean abortion AFTER 15 weeks?

Doesn’t change the fact that it is politically going in the opposite direction of most of the country . it has become the hard right dumping ground

He had a stroke. But if he can completely recover from it and regain his speech function completely he’s a strong Democratic candidate moving forward.
Give him some apple sauce and put him out to pasture. Probably not going to be the same...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT