ADVERTISEMENT

DG is a stud

Stand by your statement all day long, and twice on Sundays. My point is that SMU hasn’t won diddly squat since joining the AAC. We have 4 ships and 3 BCS bowl games winning two of them.

You sound like Herbstreit. SMU has to win three years in a row to be considered worthwhile.

You sound like Herbstreit. SMU has to win three years in a row to be considered worthwhile.

Dude, wasn’t usf 7-0 last season before the wheels came off? Slow your roll there big fella, don’t Herbstreit me, let’s just wait and see if SMU can win at least one AAC conference championship before we crown them the next big thing. M’kay?

Saw some improvements from him in this game. A little less apprehensive to run but still lot of room for improvement. Also, he was a little better a not staring down his receivers. I think KZ's injury has stuck in his mind and made him stay in the pocket more...I dont blame him. If I saw one of my BF's almost lose his leg on a run play it would probably impact how I play a bit

P
Dude, wasn’t usf 7-0 last season before the wheels came off? Slow your roll there big fella, don’t Herbstreit me, let’s just wait and see if SMU can win at least one AAC conference championship before we crown them the next big thing. M’kay?

I’m not saying SMU is great. I’m just saying there is no reason to hold some arbitrary past against them like Herbie does. SMU has a lot of transfers. If they got lightning in a bottle it should not be negated bc they weren’t good enough last year. That’s my point.

To your point, I don’t think USF beat a ranked P5 on the road. Agree we’ll see how it progresses this year.

Which would place that yardage as KZs 3rd best total as a freshman.
I just hope DG stays off social media, our fanbase can be brutal and they all want Mack which is pretty crazy considering the accuracy and numbers DG is putting up less than a year removed from High School 6 time zones away. Seems like him not running is taking the brunt of the blame for 2 losses over our Coaches

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I just hope DG stays off social media, our fanbase can be brutal and they all want Mack which is pretty crazy considering the accuracy and numbers DG is putting up less than a year removed from High School 6 time zones away. Seems like him not running is taking the brunt of the blame for 2 losses over our Coaches
If he ran and was EFFECTIVE, we have 0 losses. Maybe 1.

However, there were a wide variety of reasons for that and additional reasons as to why we lost to pin 100% of the 2 losses just on him not running

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFan9906
How many yards do you want from a QB?

Whats the fascination with stats? A player can break individual records, doesn't mean they are the best. Washington state QB has 500 more yards than anyone else, but the team is still 4-3. There are key moments wear getting 5-10 yards on the ground will have more impact on a game than the 50 yard bomb he threw earlier.

Whats the fascination with stats? A player can break individual records, doesn't mean they are the best. Washington state QB has 500 more yards than anyone else, but the team is still 4-3. There are key moments wear getting 5-10 yards on the ground will have more impact on a game than the 50 yard bomb he threw earlier.
There is never a situation where 5 yards on the ground is preferable to a 50 yard bomb. Never. Washington State is 4-3 because they rank outside the top 100 in defensive efficiency, not because they throw for a lot of yards. I mean they lost a game in regulation where they scored 63 points.

There is never a situation where 5 yards on the ground is preferable to a 50 yard bomb. Never. Washington State is 4-3 because they rank outside the top 100 in defensive efficiency, not because they throw for a lot of yards. I mean they lost a game in regulation where they scored 63 points.

I did not say preferable, I said more impact. And I will agree that is being exaggerated. I will say it has same impact. Teams win with QBs who don't put up huge stats, because there QB picks up the yardage at critical times. Look at Pitt QB, who is not a runner. He had far less passing yards, but he picked up critical first downs with his legs that put them in position to win.

I did not say preferable, I said more impact. And I will agree that is being exaggerated. I will say it has same impact. Teams win with QBs who don't put up huge stats, because there QB picks up the yardage at critical times. Look at Pitt QB, who is not a runner. He had far less passing yards, but he picked up critical first downs with his legs that put them in position to win.
Pitt wins because they have an elite DL not because of their offense.

I always enjoy your unwavering point of views. UCF scored 34 points, so they have to score at least 36 to win a game?
I’m not sure what you are getting at. Pitts offense basically sucks. You can win with a shitty offense sometimes if your defense is good. Their defense is good (and in this case where they had a punt block TD, so was their special teams). It doesn’t mean that the shitty offense is the formula for success just because it seems to correlate.

I’m not sure what you are getting at. Pitts offense basically sucks. You can win with a shitty offense sometimes if your defense is good. Their defense is good (and in this case where they had a punt block TD, so was their special teams). It doesn’t mean that the shitty offense is the formula for success just because it seems to correlate.

Your right it's an inferior offense, but when pressed their QB made plays with his legs to win the game. If Gabriel made even just half those plays, UCF wins the game.

It's easier to win a game when the QB doesn't have to rely purely on making the big pass, which requires not only the line to hold, the throw to be accurate, and the WR to make the catch. Which is where I believe that issues falls more on Heupel. His play calling means Gabriel has to be a stud for the offense to be successful, a lot of pressure for a freshman.

UCF returned a punt for a TD, so I would say special teams cancel out.

Your right it's an inferior offense, but when pressed their QB made plays with his legs to win the game. If Gabriel made even just half those plays, UCF wins the game.

It's easier to win a game when the QB doesn't have to rely purely on making the big pass, which requires not only the line to hold, the throw to be accurate, and the WR to make the catch. Which is where I believe that issues falls more on Heupel. His play calling means Gabriel has to be a stud for the offense to be successful, a lot of pressure for a freshman.

UCF returned a punt for a TD, so I would say special teams cancel out.
The point is Pitt had a confluence of events which allowed them to win a game despite a poor offense. It included the plays you mention. But they also haven’t scored 30 offensive points in a game in any of their last 10 games. It’s a poor example is all I’m saying. I’m sure there are other teams that make your point a little bit better.

How many yards do you want from a QB?
Enough to win games. I don’t care about anything else but winning. I like QBs who run and I get your point, but I only care about winning

it could be 1 run. It could be 12

Agreed. Additionally, it extends drives, wears down a defense, and gives your own defense a rest

I’m not saying that a bomb that’s completed isn’t preferable, but when it fails or doesn’t score a TD, oh boy. These drive killers are ultimately hurting us. They put you in long yardage situations and lead to holding penalties

Because stats is what people use to compare. Why are people saying he didn’t run? He ran 7 times for 26 yards. Almost 4 yards a carry for a guy who “never” runs. Then they put in DJ and people complain he runs. Whatever happens, if play doesn’t work, they wanted the opposite play called. That’s called playing the outcome.

Reactions: mattropolis
Anybody that thinks DG is the problem right now, doesn't understand football. Kid was 16-21 for 250 yards at the half. Heup has got to find a way to.get him some high % passes coming out of halftime to get momentum rolling again. Very poor playcalling coming out in the 2nd half.
How you play against an ECU does not make you a stud.

What is lost in the statistical analysis is that yes, DG is an excellent, and probably our best, deep ball passer. I do not argue this. This quality will get you the best stats possible against a lesser defense because this is when the QB has time to throw the deep ball.

DGs weaknesses do not hurt us severely against ECU, UConn and other average or worse teams. In fact we will win by larger margins with him against such teams.

However, DGs weaknesses are a killer against teams with a defense that pressures the QB and/or have saavy defenders who know how to play of of QBs who stare down receivers. Then, DG does not have enough time to get off the deep throws. Then, we need QBs who know how to check down against a blitz, can take off and run, have speed to get to the edge, know when to run or hand off on the read, can bulldoze though many defenders for those contested first downs.

Better reads, bigger size and more poise under pressure are all things that, I believe, DG will develop during his UCF career. However, he does not specialize in these as of yet.

Given that these are the qualities that are needed against teams like Pitt, Cincy and other strongly contested teams, this is why I felt he should have red shirted.

Admittedly, he is a very good passer and will be much better as a QB as time goes on. However, many do not realize that there is much more to being a winning QB than how well you can throw a long ball. If you cannot look a defender off, you will not complete very many long balls against good defenses.

We have QBs on our roster with the ability to win the tough games. They are good enough in all of the categories of quarterbacking to beat all of the teams that were on our schedule. i.e. poise under pressure, reads, speed, ability to get the first down,on foot, etc..

I don't mean to sound as I'm not a big fan of DG because I am. I agree he can and probably will be a great one for us. I just feel we could have won the tougher games going with our more experienced QBs.

Also, DG probably could have benefitted just as much this year by playing in his 4 allowed games, and then observing and absorbing that experience of our more veteran qbs.

Lastly, we then would have had him for four more years with more learning and, likely additional size in the ensuing seasons. I feel we burned his redshirt without any real benefit to him or the team this year. That is not his fault either.

Our leadership should have foreseen that, although DG looks better than most (with his deep balls) when the challenge is easy, the more experienced guys behind center still possessed the goods needed for the truly tough contests that we knew we would face this year. We just may have sacrificed a NY 6 bowl due to our lack of patience in how to develop a promising freshman QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: lawknight
What is lost in the statistical analysis is that yes, DG is an excellent, and probably our best, deep ball passer. I do not argue this. This quality will get you the best stats possible against a lesser defense because this is when the QB has time to throw the deep ball.

DGs weaknesses do not hurt us severely against ECU, UConn and other average or worse teams. In fact we will win by larger margins with him against such teams.

However, DGs weaknesses are a killer against teams with a defense that pressures the QB and/or have saavy defenders who know how to play of of QBs who started down receivers. Then, DG does not have enough time to get off the deep throws.

Then, we need a QB who knows how to check down against a blitz, can take off and run, has speed to get to the edge, knows when to run or hand off on the read option, can bulldoze though many defenders for those contested first downs.

Better reads, bigger size and more poise under pressure are all things that, I believe, DG will develop during his UCF career. However, he does not specialize in these as of yet.

Given that these are the qualities that are needed against teams like Pitt, Cincy and other strongly contested teams, this is why I felt he should have redshirted. Admittedly, he is a very good passer and will be much better as a QB as time goes on. However, many do not realize that there is much more to being a winning QB than how well you can throw a long ball. For instance, If you cannot look a defender off, you will not complete very many long balls against good defenses.

We have QBs on our roster with the ability to win the tough games. They are good enough in all of the categories of quarterbacking to beat all of the teams that were on our schedule this year. i.e. poise under pressure, reads, speed, ability to get the first down,on foot, etc..

I don't mean to sound as I'm not a big fan of DG because I am. I agree he can and probably will be a great one for us. I just feel we could have won the tougher games this year starting our more experienced QBs throughout this entire season. Also, DG probably could have benefitted just as much this year by playing his allowed 4 games, and then observing and absorbing that experience which our other QBs have.

Lastly, we then would have had DG for four more years with more learning and, likely additional size in the ensuing seasons. I feel we burned his redshirt without any real benefit to him or the team this year. That is not his fault either.

Our leadership should have foreseen that, although DG looks better than most (with his deep balls) when the challenge is easy, the more experienced guys behind center still possessed the goods needed for the truly tough contests that we knew we would face this year. We just may have sacrificed a NY 6 bowl due to our lack of patience in how to develop a promising freshman QB.

We have QBs on our roster with the ability to win the tough games. They are good enough in all of the categories of quarterbacking to beat all of the teams that were on our schedule. i.e. poise under pressure, reads, speed, ability to get the first down,on foot, etc..
This is such horseshit, you have no proof that Mack would fair any better than DG has against strong pass rushes. In fact I would argue he has handled adversity much better than Mack did in his run as a starter last year, I don't understand why UCF fans have such short memories, but Mack was a fumble machine when he got pressured last year, and in the LSU game, he was almost completely ineffective. Low completion percentage and barely any yards.

Mack was a fumble machine when he got pressured last year, and in the LSU game, he was almost completely ineffective. Low completion percentage and barely any yards.
In all fairness, that WAS last year and please don’t compare Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to LSU

He has no proof, other than Mack is a better runner, but to say DG has handled the pressure well is simply not true

However, DGs weaknesses are a killer against teams with a defense that pressures the QB and/or have saavy defenders who know how to play of of QBs who stare down receivers. Then, DG does not have enough time to get off the deep throws. Then, we need QBs who know how to check down against a blitz, can take off and run, have speed to get to the edge, know when to run or hand off on the read, can bulldoze though many defenders for those contested first downs.

Given that these are the qualities that are needed against teams like Pitt, Cincy and other strongly contested teams, this is why I felt he should have red shirted.

Admittedly, he is a very good passer and will be much better as a QB as time goes on. However, many do not realize that there is much more to being a winning QB than how well you can throw a long ball. If you cannot look a defender off, you will not complete very many long balls against good defenses.

I don't mean to sound as I'm not a big fan of DG because I am. I agree he can and probably will be a great one for us. I just feel we could have won the tougher games going with our more experienced QBs.

Also, DG probably could have benefitted just as much this year by playing in his 4 allowed games, and then observing and absorbing that experience of our more veteran qbs.

Lastly, we then would have had him for four more years with more learning and, likely additional size in the ensuing seasons. I feel we burned his redshirt without any real benefit to him or the team this year. That is not his fault either.

There was nobody else to play QB. Wimbush was a complete bust. Mack was hurt. What, we were going to play Quadry and then have Kingston be the backup??? He was the only QB available and he was going to have to play more than 4 games anyways. This is a moot point.

Peyton Manning wasn't great his first season. It was 2 seasons before he had great stats.
Drew Brees wasn't great his first season. It was 4 seasons before he had great stats.
Joe Montana wasn't great his first season. It was 5 years before he had great stats.
I'm sensing a trend....none of them showed up and were great.

What other college true freshman QB is putting up numbers like DG?
There are on only 4 true freshman who are putting up top 50 stats, and in most categories DG is top 15. The other 3 are (Howell, Slovis, and Bachmeier).

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
In all fairness, that WAS last year and please don’t compare Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to LSU

He has no proof, other than Mack is a better runner, but to say DG has handled the pressure well is simply not true
That's why I didnt say that. Hes handled pressure like a true freshman. Hes handled pressure better than Milton handled pressure as a freshman.

You are right. We shouldn’t compare LSU defense to Pitt or Cincy. Pitt and Cincy have better defenses.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef/2019
You’re joking, right?

The 2018 LSU defense with the defensive player of the year was in another stratosphere compared to AAC Cincinnati who couldn’t stop Houston and Pittsburgh who couldn’t stop a lot of teams.

Do you realize that LSU plays in the SEC??

Just stop it with these crazy spins on stats. Take off the glasses for one second

Once again, stop playing magician and trying to fool people. You’re not even comparing the same years, SOS, or anything worthwhile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT