ADVERTISEMENT

Disney

This is like bizarro Jerry world... One would think Democrats would praise the removal of a large corporate special interest benefit... And Republicans would be outraged with extensive government control... What am I missing?

You are calling BS on the Orange County tax collectors stating that Orange County property taxes will increase? What don’t you “buy”? Does it matter?
You’re just accepting that at face value? No thought of having them justify their rationale as to why it would be a max assessment?

This is like bizarro Jerry world... One would think Democrats would praise the removal of a large corporate special interest benefit... And Republicans would be outraged with extensive government control... What am I missing?
It’s not “extensive government control.” It’s a special accommodation for a specific business that none of the others enjoy. The playing field isn’t level. If Disney came to Florida today and asked for this, we’d all be screaming about corporate favoritism and crony capitalism.

The libertarian in me if fine with getting rid of zoning boards and all the rest and letting large entities set this up whenever they want. Conservatives should be small government but largely they aren’t and not all Republicans are conservative anyways.

Orange County property appraiser estimates it will increase by the max millage rate allowed which I think is 20-25%. So may take a couple years. Estimates are between 2200-2800 per household.
I'm no longer in Florida, but I believe if they are homesteaded residents, taxes can only increase a max of annual CPI increase or 3%, which ever is less.

I'm no longer in Florida, but I believe if they are homesteaded residents, taxes can only increase a max of annual CPI increase or 3%, which ever is less.
your assessed value is capped at a 3% increase. This is a 20% jump in the millage rate for the value. So in essence your taxes would raise by the product of the millage rate jump and the assessed value increase.

I have no problems with or without the exemption. I do have problems with Disney who doesn't pay to be here jumping in on our laws. (Any laws).
They can be as "woke" as they wish, but not free of the consequences of those actions.

They could just charge Disney impact fees to do anything and offer sh!t services like most bureaucrats would. I'm not buying Disney is taking a net loss every year with this governance program. Absurd
They aren’t taking a loss. Being able to control literally every aspect of the guest experience has a cost that they are willing to pay. It’s part of the brand. People want to visit and be in an immersive world that is 100% Disney. I think it is stupid that Disney was granted this autonomy in the first place. However at this point, removing this simply shifts the burden from Disney to taxpayers. It gives Disney a “tax break” at the expense of Orange and Osceola county property owners, but long term it will have a negative impact on Disneys bottom line.

Publicly-traded Disney used RCID to issue bonds. Their stock should be falling.

Fl Universal 25,000 ,Fl Sea World 11,000. Not one word against the new Fl school law and not one protest and not one special tax break. It was Disney that threatened DeSantis if he signed the bill, it was Disney who said no more donations after he signed the bill, it was Disney who said they would do everything possible to get the bill repealed and sure enough days later a non profit just happen to come up with the money to sue and have lawyers present 80 pages. It is now Disney who needs to be sued by every shareholder, they let their employees use a public company for their own personal agenda.
Lol. Sea World? It is only still operational in Orlando because Disney is around. Disney calls the shots. People don’t save a life savings to fly to Orlando to visit sea world. They fly for a Disney vacation and visit sea world while they are in town.

Universal Studios & Seaworld be like...

IMG]

Universal Studios & Seaworld be like...

IMG]
Unlikely. The Sea World and Universal bottom lines are highly correlated with Disney in Orlando. Nobody is flying from across the globe to visit sea world. They are beneficiaries of the tourism that having a Disney world in Orlando brings.

Unlikely. The Sea World and Universal bottom lines are highly correlated with Disney in Orlando. Nobody is flying from across the globe to visit sea world. They are beneficiaries of the tourism that having a Disney world in Orlando brings.
Seaworld agree, Universal has become an anchor itself with Harry Potter and soon to be Epic Universe, targeting a different market than Disney. My brother flew his family of 5 (teenagers) in for Universal & the beach... Didn't step a foot in Disney property, actually avoided it.

They can reinstitute Reedy Creek at any time. I’m still doubtful that the Disney board is going to sit on their hands the whole time.

There is a clear and undeniable mutual benefit amongst all the area theme parks to have additional parks nearby also attracting tourists. It is why Universal parks exist near the Disney parks and not some other random and more convenient location to travel to.

This.

The issue isnt about taking away this setup in and of itself, there might very well be legitimate arguments to get rid of it. The issue, as I see it, is that a governor is trying to punish people for criticizing him. That is a very slippery slope. If we cant criticize our government without fear of retribution, then we will quickly become a very different country.

The issue isnt about taking away this setup in and of itself, there might very well be legitimate arguments to get rid of it. The issue, as I see it, is that a governor is trying to punish people for criticizing him. That is a very slippery slope. If we cant criticize our government without fear of retribution, then we will quickly become a very different country.
It’s not for criticizing him. It’s for Disney vowing to work against a law created and voted in by the Florida house and Senate (you know Democracy in action). And it’s for Disney misrepresenting and outright lying about the law and what it does. But go ahead and join the group that’s going to take the obvious “ DeSantis is worse than Trump” and “DeSantis is the new Hitler” for these next election cycles. The rest of us have gotten utterly tired of the hyperbole.

It’s not for criticizing him. It’s for Disney vowing to work against a law created and voted in by the Florida house and Senate (you know Democracy in action). And it’s for Disney misrepresenting and outright lying about the law and what it does. But go ahead and join the group that’s going to take the obvious “ DeSantis is worse than Trump” and “DeSantis is the new Hitler” for these next election cycles. The rest of us have gotten utterly tired of the hyperbole.

It isnt hyperbole. We are allowed to criticize our government, Desantis isnt a king and I, you, and anyone else is allowed to criticize him. Just because a law is voted in, doesnt mean we cant speak out agains that law. I mean, he also threatened Ben and Jerry's because Ben and Jerry's pulled out of the West Bank which has absolutely nothing to do with the state of Florida. Threatening companies to score his political points is apparently what this "small goverment" conservative is about because he knows it will make national news and up his profile for a presidential run. This goes back to my point that Republicans no longer have any conviction. The whole party is based around personalities other than actual policies. There is no way in hell Republicans of old would have said it is ok for the government to punish business because simply because they dont agree with the political stance of that business. IN short, anyone who likes Desantis but that they also like limited government, is a liar.

Reactions: DaShuckster
It isnt hyperbole. We are allowed to criticize our government, Desantis isnt a king and I, you, and anyone else is allowed to criticize him. Just because a law is voted in, doesnt mean we cant speak out agains that law. I mean, he also threatened Ben and Jerry's because Ben and Jerry's pulled out of the West Bank which has absolutely nothing to do with the state of Florida. Threatening companies to score his political points is apparently what this "small goverment" conservative is about because he knows it will make national news and up his profile for a presidential run. This goes back to my point that Republicans no longer have any conviction. The whole party is based around personalities other than actual policies. There is no way in hell Republicans of old would have said it is ok for the government to punish business because simply because they dont agree with the political stance of that business. IN short, anyone who likes Desantis but that they also like limited government, is a liar.
Hyperpartisan blather coming from a guy that worships the party that is pushing ESG scores to force corporate compliance across a great number of factors. The same party that is not pushing policies in advance of the midterms but rather trying to scare voters by calling Republicans fascists and racists and railing on about 1/6. You missed your calling; you should go apply for the current NY Times job opening for a journalist reporting on the dangers of Republicans. You be wildly successful.

Hyperpartisan blather coming from a guy that worships the party that is pushing ESG scores to force corporate compliance across a great number of factors. The same party that is not pushing policies in advance of the midterms but rather trying to scare voters by calling Republicans fascists and racists and railing on about 1/6. You missed your calling; you should go apply for the current NY Times job opening for a journalist reporting on the dangers of Republicans. You be wildly successful.

NOthing is hyperpartisan about that. I 100% think we should be able to criticize our leaders, Republican or Democrat, without fear of retribution.

From Forbes, hardly a left wing site, 79% of Democrats approve of ESG scores, and 71% of Republicans. So I guess you are the minority in your own party in that regards.

Instead of applying for the NYT, I can just use my constitutional right to criticize any elected official that I want to, including Desantis. It isnt my fault nor my problem the dude has super thin skin. You would also be wildy sucessul wiping Desantis's ass for him, but instead of telling you to do that, I would think it would be better if we just had conversations about things.

• Haha
Reactions: DaShuckster
You can absolutely criticize whoever you want and DeSantis isn’t punishing any individual. When you are a corporation that has a sweetheart deal with a government and then you decide to subvert the democratically enacted legislation of said government, you shouldn’t be surprised if they reassess your sweetheart deal. Disney’s rights aren’t being violated by ending their corporate tax breaks that no other company in Florida has resulting in them being treated like every other company doing business in Florida.

I thought the sanctity of Democracy was paramount for you Democrats now. I guess not so much.

As for the Ben and Jerry’s deal, Florida already had a policy to not do business with entities engaging in BDS.

As for the Ben and Jerry’s deal, Florida already had a policy to not do business with entities engaging in BDS.

Yes, which is BS. I am not a BDS guy, but businesses should be able to operate as they see fit in that regard.

You can absolutely criticize whoever you want and DeSantis isn’t punishing any individual. When you are a corporation that has a sweetheart deal with a government and then you decide to subvert the democratically enacted legislation of said government, you shouldn’t be surprised if they reassess your sweetheart deal. Disney’s rights aren’t being violated by ending their corporate tax breaks that no other company in Florida has resulting in them being treated like every other company doing business in Florida.

I thought the sanctity of Democracy was paramount for you Democrats now. I guess not so much.

If the taxes fall on the citizens he is punishing a lot of individuals, many that have nothing to do with it, just to score national press. The dude is a power hungry egomaniac and that seems pretty obvious to anyone paying attention to him. I wll say, I cant wait until he and Trump start tearing each other a part, at least the shift with the Republicans becoming the party of strongmen will be entertaining.

Disney isnt the only place in Florida with that type of deal. I am sure there are some differences from one to the other, but the Villages and Daytona Speedway both have a similar deal, among others. The law was specifically written with regards to deals established before 1968 so Disney would be the only one it affected. If he is really against these things, then he needs to disband it for every place in the state that operates under a similar structure.

They didnt subvert anything. Speaking out against the law doesnt change the law. Regardless, if you agree with what Desantis is doing, then you are by no means a small government conservative.

When you are a corporation that has a sweetheart deal with a government and then you decide to subvert the democratically enacted legislation of said government, you shouldn’t be surprised if they reassess your sweetheart deal. Disney’s rights aren’t being violated by ending their corporate tax breaks that no other company in Florida has resulting in them being treated like every other company doing business in Florida.

HOLY HYPOCRISY, BATMAN! Mister "why are we still railing about 1/6" has the gall to talk about 'the sanctity' of democracy! Good grief!

For your information, democracy means you can--get this---disagree with enacted legislation. Imagine that!!! Hasn't that been a-okay with you when it's disagreeing with Biden's policies or when your gang attempts to subvert the country's legally protected right to an abortion? How is that different?

HOLY HYPOCRISY, BATMAN! Mister "why are we still railing about 1/6" has the gall to talk about 'the sanctity' of democracy! Good grief!

For your information, democracy means you can--get this---disagree with enacted legislation. Imagine that!!! Hasn't that been a-okay with you when it's disagreeing with Biden's policies or when your gang attempts to subvert the country's legally protected right to an abortion? How is that different?

Yeah, the party of January 6th lecturing others about Democracy is pretty wild. Hell, Mike Lee, who crazyhole was all about, said "Democracy isnt the objective", and he is supposed to be one of the reasonable Republicans. The REpublican party has gone batshit crazy and many Republicans are ok with it because all they care about is owning the libs.

Yeah, the party of January 6th lecturing others about Democracy is pretty wild. Hell, Mike Lee, who crazyhole was all about, said "Democracy isnt the objective", and he is supposed to be one of the reasonable Republicans. The REpublican party has gone batshit crazy and many Republicans are ok with it because all they care about is owning the libs.
The party of Jan 6th. You’re funny put down the crack and take off the tin foil hat. Unless you want to spew out Russian collusion too.

The party of Jan 6th. You’re funny put down the crack and take off the tin foil hat. Unless you want to spew out Russian collusion too.

Russian collusion was an investigation that Trump was neither ran out of office for, or even impeached for. It has no similarities what so ever to January 6th. And yes, I have no problem calling Republicans the party of Jan 6th. The more that has come out on it, the more it is obvious it wasnt just Trump and a handful of people. Kevin McCarthy was heavily critical of Trump with other Republican congressional leaders, yet in public still supports Trump. In private McCarthy sounded like Liz Cheney, in public he removed her from a leadership position. Mike Lee, someone who I thought was a reasonable Republican (even though I disagree with him on a lot) has texts directly to Meadows asking what he was supposed to say, as if he worked for Trump, which he didnt. Then of course the MTG, Gaetz, Jordan, Boebert facebook comments section of the party, who basicaly worship Trump and we have texts from MTG asking the president about martial law. SO yeah, the entire party isnt behind January 6th, you still have the Romney's of the world and a handful of others, but there are enough people now to say without a doubt it wasnt just Trump and a few people. And BTW, 147 congressional and Senate Republicans didnt vote to certify the election. If that sounds like a party that believes in Democracy to you, then not sure what to tell you to be honest.

LOL By telling other posters to "take off the tin foil hat," I'm guessing sk8 thinks he's cleverly showing the board how 'reasonable' and 'mature' he is.

Fat chance. :)

Russian collusion was an investigation that Trump was neither ran out of office for, or even impeached for. It has no similarities what so ever to January 6th. And yes, I have no problem calling Republicans the party of Jan 6th. The more that has come out on it, the more it is obvious it wasnt just Trump and a handful of people. Kevin McCarthy was heavily critical of Trump with other Republican congressional leaders, yet in public still supports Trump. In private McCarthy sounded like Liz Cheney, in public he removed her from a leadership position. Mike Lee, someone who I thought was a reasonable Republican (even though I disagree with him on a lot) has texts directly to Meadows asking what he was supposed to say, as if he worked for Trump, which he didnt. Then of course the MTG, Gaetz, Jordan, Boebert facebook comments section of the party, who basicaly worship Trump and we have texts from MTG asking the president about martial law. SO yeah, the entire party isnt behind January 6th, you still have the Romney's of the world and a handful of others, but there are enough people now to say without a doubt it wasnt just Trump and a few people. And BTW, 147 congressional and Senate Republicans didnt vote to certify the election. If that sounds like a party that believes in Democracy to you, then not sure what to tell you to be honest.
Russian collusion was a political fraud that the DNC perpetuated on the US public. The more information comes out, the more it is blatantly obvious. Only complete morons or political ideologues still try to defend this and all of the political theater that came from the criminal seditious acts against a Presidential campaign. That you defend it only strengthens your zealotry to defend all throngs Democrat. So your opinion of Republican antics is moot. You are nothing more than a useful idiot.

Russian collusion was a political fraud that the DNC perpetuated on the US public. The more information comes out, the more it is blatantly obvious. Only complete morons or political ideologues still try to defend this and all of the political theater that came from the criminal seditious acts against a Presidential campaign. That you defend it only strengthens your zealotry to defend all throngs Democrat. So your opinion of Republican antics is moot. You are nothing more than a useful idiot.

Nothing in that post defended it, I was saying it isnt an apt comparison, but you avoid everything I said about Republicans. SO yeah, Republicans do not believe in Democracy, and it happened right in front you yet you will still dismiss it because for some reason Donald Trump, who was basically looked at as a a joke for the last couple of decades, somehow convinced a bunch of people he gave a shit about them. He doesnt.

A little office topic, but under Desantis, Florida has now become the least affordable state in the country when considering cost of rent/mortages and average wages.

Not entirely Desantis fault by any means, but if that continues Florida is going to end up seeing people leave just like California and focusing on Disney seems a little stupid.

A little office topic, but under Desantis, Florida has now become the least affordable state in the country when considering cost of rent/mortages and average wages.

Not entirely Desantis fault by any means, but if that continues Florida is going to end up seeing people leave just like California and focusing on Disney seems a little stupid.
Wanna lay some money on that prediction?

@Cubs79 I know where you are on this chart.

Why would I care about that chart? ANd what does that have to do with anything we are talking about? Let me just ask you, are you cool with Januarty 6th or no? WIll you vote for Trump in 24 if he is the candidate despite the fact he literally tried to suspend the peaceful transfer of power in what is supposed to be the greatest Democracy in the history of the world? You dont have to be on the left to think Democracy is good. YOu didnt have to be at least.

This ^^^^

These Republican nutjobs keep getting crazier -- and stupider.
These are the type of comments perpetuating the downward spiral of civility in this country.

Can anyone list some examples of sane politicians so we can establish a standard for comparison. All parties have radicals, bet everyone can name a few from each major party.

Instead of resorting to mindless name calling (that's what usf does), we should be considering both sides of an argument and establishing an independent, individual opinion instead of blindly joining the team with the same color jersey.

Focus on substance, content, forward looking vision/results. People with no vision nor solution path just like to make noise and disrupt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT