ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Insider Has UCF Going To B12 By 2016

My theory on Big XII expansion includes UCF -- this is good. I believe the Big XII will expand when Texas departs for the PAC and Oklahoma departs for the SEC. This will open the doors for a major influx of new Big XII members including UCF. A Big XII network will quickly be established as well.

and, Go Cats !!

My theory on Big XII expansion includes UCF -- this is good. I believe the Big XII will expand when Texas departs for the PAC and Oklahoma departs for the SEC. This will open the doors for a major influx of new Big XII members including UCF. A Big XII network will quickly be established as well.

and, Go Cats !!

The Big 12 is one big name team departure away from being a middle of the pack conference. It amazes me why they didn't expand 2 years ago. Big East Version 2 - will history repeat itself??

Last edited:
So Texas goes to the PAC12 giving them 13 tams and Oklahoma goes to the SEC giving them 15 teams. Ummm, who else is coming into those conferences in your scenario?

Muckdawg -- 14 or 16 team big time conferences make sense -- plenty of schools would love to join the SEC or PAC to round them out to a sizeable even number. The 10 team Big XII is doomed be/c of size but is really doomed be/c of Texas and the Bevo Network. Oklahoma will eventually insist on a Big XII network or they will depart to the SEC. The B1G won't touch Oklahoma be/c academically they are viewed as an oversized community college -- NO AAU operation. Texas will always insist on the Bevo Network so it's either the PAC or independent status for them. As an individual who follows UCF a little I say let the "big dogs" in the Big XII go elsewhere and let's have an influx of UCF plus the usual suspects rounding out the Big XII to 14 or 16 teams. Put a new Big XII network with some schools with pretty good sized TV eyeballs and there would be some money to split up. fwiw B1G schools picked up a check for $32 million each from last year's network proceeds. I think UCF has some good pay days in its' future -- just need to get into a reconfigured Big XII.

and, Go Cats !!

I think the "dream" scenario is for the Power 5 to all expand to 16 teams and then break off and do their own thing. That would be 16 teams added to power conferences. No more independents and zero chance UCF would be left out.

To make it really fun and make some money in the process....do a "draft" on tv, Big 12 would get first 2 picks to get to 12, Then Big 12 and Pac 12 alternate to get to 14, then one pick at a time until everyone gets to 16. Would get crazy ratings. You could even do shows leading up to the draft with the conferences touring and evaluating schools. I think I've said too much...taking my idea to ESPN now. ***I know this would never happen...fun idea though.

I know 14 or 16 teams make sense, I just wanted to ask who else is coming on board in your scenario? Can't have odd number of teams in a conference.

The Big 10 had 11 teams for about 20 years.

Actually, Big 12 had 12 football teams for a long time (1996-2010) but then they lost Nebraska, Colorado and then obviously A&M and Missori but only added 2 teams (TCU and WVU).

Actually, Big 12 had 12 football teams for a long time (1996-2010) but then they lost Nebraska, Colorado and then obviously A&M and Missori but only added 2 teams (TCU and WVU).

Not sure what that has to do with my post, but thanks. I know all that.

This all dated back to July. It said if they get in playoffs, likely no expansion for 5 years. Well it looks like they are in playoffs.

It is better for us if they do delay at least 2 years.

Was reading Big 12 boards and one sticking point is how the new divisions would be organized. They want the Texas / Oklahoma game to remain unchanged for example.

They talk of sticking the 2 new teams in the north division. They believe ESPN is going to have a major impact on decision. UCF and USF pair is mentioned again.

The Big 12 comish is real wishy washy on whole thing but other P5 conferences want the B12 to be like the others.

Except the ACC, who will go along with it if they can cherry pick their best two teams regardless of division for their championship game.

That is why the Big Ten added an amendment to force the hand on what the big 12 in ACC would do if given freedom to do anything....prior to the vote. Seems prudent.

B1G are the adults in the room. P12 will go along with B1G if forced into a decision. SEC doesn't care while $$$ is flowing. B12 are spoiled kids. ACC is little brother wanting what big brother has....or anyone else wants to have.

I hope UCF gets in the big 10, how can they pass on USF? think where going to be loaded from this point on.

More BS about nothing. B12 is unlikely to expand soon, after making the playoff this year.
If they get in next year as well, forget expansion for at least 5 years.

More BS about nothing. B12 is unlikely to expand soon, after making the playoff this year.
If they get in next year as well, forget expansion for at least 5 years.

Unless the other power conferences see the advantage the B12 has by their champion not having to play the extra game and demand the B12 have a championship game.

Far too many posts without the whining about how this subject is still being talked about. Come on whiners. Time to complain.

Well isn't it better for UCF to be in the AAC right now anyways? Rebuilding will take time, but UCF can be one of the few top dogs in this conference consistently. Stick us in the big 12 and we'll always be near the bottom or middle of the pack. Better to be a top G5 team or a mediocre P5 team? Not talking money, just athletics and perception.

Well isn't it better for UCF to be in the AAC right now anyways? Rebuilding will take time, but UCF can be one of the few top dogs in this conference consistently. Stick us in the big 12 and we'll always be near the bottom or middle of the pack. Better to be a top G5 team or a mediocre P5 team? Not talking money, just athletics and perception.
If we got into a power conference and got 10x the tv money we do now why couldn't we compete for the conference title. We could double SF salary to stay, improve the stadium, play multiple games on ABC CBS Fox and use P5 label in recruiting. We'd be fine

Lmao what? Being a G5 team means you are irrelevant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT