ADVERTISEMENT

Fact check: Trump's (Pychos') false claim on PR deaths

the way the death toll for the hurricane was calculated was not consistent with any other past major storm/tragedy. it was definitely not 64, but i think nearly 3k is a bit too high. it is likely somewhere in the middle.

They took the normal number of deaths in PR over a year and checked how many died this year. and found that 2999 more than normal died, then simply decided every one of them was hurricane related. I think the original # was likely very close as to the # that died in the actual hurricane, and have no doubts more died from stress, heat, accidents with debris ect. I wouldn't doubt that # is in the 100s but the 3k number is pure nonsense.

They took the normal number of deaths in PR over a year and checked how many died this year. and found that 2999 more than normal died, then simply decided every one of them was hurricane related. I think the original # was likely very close as to the # that died in the actual hurricane, and have no doubts more died from stress, heat, accidents with debris ect. I wouldn't doubt that # is in the 100s but the 3k number is pure nonsense.

per usual, you are an effing idiot. Please delete your account.

it was an extremely lazy study and shouldnt be counted on. i would like to see an actual study that can correlate the deaths.

hurricane katrina had around 1,800 deaths. i would assume that the maria death toll would be similar, but certainly not 2,975.

how are we supposed to trust these people when they put out crap studies like this?

it was an extremely lazy study and shouldnt be counted on. i would like to see an actual study that can correlate the deaths.

hurricane katrina had around 1,800 deaths. i would assume that the maria death toll would be similar, but certainly not 2,975.

how are we supposed to trust these people when they put out crap studies like this?

Jesus fuking Christ you literally regurgitate Fox news garbage.

Last edited:

Certainly not? Maria did a lot more damage to PR than Katrina. I mean, you had what, 95% of the island without power? I'd ask @jetsaholic to weigh in on this because he had family seriously affected by all this, but he can't stand the water cooler any longer.

Whatever the death toll, it was a lot. And it was a lot more than the number captain dipshit tweeted out the other day.

Reactions: bluechip12
Certainly not? Maria did a lot more damage to PR than Katrina. I mean, you had what, 95% of the island without power? I'd ask @jetsaholic to weigh in on this because he had family seriously affected by all this, but he can't stand the water cooler any longer.

Whatever the death toll, it was a lot. And it was a lot more than the number captain dipshit tweeted out the other day.
i dont doubt for one minute how bad the storm was and the damage done. i do doubt how the "study" was conducted. you might not like @goodknightfl 's take on the total deaths, but what he posted about how the "study" was conducted is true. its a bs study, and deep down you know it. why not take the time and do it right?

the lie cheapens the actual lives lost because of the storm.

Reactions: Knight_Light
i dont doubt for one minute how bad the storm was and the damage done. i do doubt how the "study" was conducted. you might not like @goodknightfl 's take on the total deaths, but what he posted about how the "study" was conducted is true. its a bs study, and deep down you know it. why not take the time and do it right?

the lie cheapens the actual lives lost because of the storm.

One more time because you are getting very much caught up in the fake news du jour:

Me: "Whatever the death toll, it was a lot. And it was a lot more than the number captain dipshit tweeted out the other day."

Dumb ass goodknight said, " I think the original # was likely very close as to the # that died in the actual hurricane, and have no doubts more died from stress, heat, accidents with debris ect."

Yes, cause and effect. It's not that tough. Now go back and read what I wrote. Again. That's all.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
One more time because you are getting very much caught up in the fake news du jour:

Me: "Whatever the death toll, it was a lot. And it was a lot more than the number captain dipshit tweeted out the other day."

Dumb ass goodknight said, " I think the original # was likely very close as to the # that died in the actual hurricane, and have no doubts more died from stress, heat, accidents with debris ect."

Yes, cause and effect. It's not that tough. Now go back and read what I wrote. Again. That's all.
who are you even arguing with? go back and read what i wrote. again. that is all.

Well heck, since we have to make everything political including death tolls:

Why is it that when a hurricane hits a population center run by liberals the death toll is always higher? When one hits Texas, not so much.

Puerto Rico is no different than NOLA, administered by corrupt liberals that are incapable of dealing with a disaster because they have trained people to believe that they can't take care of themselves if tragedy strikes, and are so devoid of leadership that when something bad does happen, they expect an even higher authority takes care of them.

Reactions: UCFWayne

Any death toll in PR is either at the hands of nature or the corrupt government of PR. I would say this if it were Trump or Obama. The president of the US had or has nothing to do with people that died during a hurricane on an island a thousand miles away with piss poor infrastructure.

Any death toll in PR is either at the hands of nature or the corrupt government of PR. I would say this if it were Trump or Obama. The president of the US had or has nothing to do with people that died during a hurricane on an island a thousand miles away with piss poor infrastructure.

I never said he was responsible for the number of deaths; I only stated he had a difficult time counting.

5b9c87168905f2fd1e8b51d7-1536-768.jpg

Well heck, since we have to make everything political including death tolls:

Why is it that when a hurricane hits a population center run by liberals the death toll is always higher? When one hits Texas, not so much.

Puerto Rico is no different than NOLA, administered by corrupt liberals that are incapable of dealing with a disaster because they have trained people to believe that they can't take care of themselves if tragedy strikes, and are so devoid of leadership that when something bad does happen, they expect an even higher authority takes care of them.
You are pretty foolish if you think that the population density and evacuation options aren't the main reason for that disparity and instead point to conservative or liberal political preferences.

Just like with mass shootings, things are getting 'redefined' by the US media to the point some governments accept it.

That's the problem right now. And why the 'fake news' argument continues to be believed by most Republicans. Because there is a good argument that the US media can 'redefine' whatever they want to fit an agenda.

And that agenda is consistently and totally negative towards Republicans, and heavily Trump.

Democrats who refuse to accept that are only slitting their own throats. Trump's numbers are in the toilet, but so are the US media's.

I tend to think they need 2 numbers. The # killed by the storm, and then a separate # for those who died After the storm. I lost shingles during Irma last year, and replaced them myself, I am sorry but if I fall off the roof 6 mos later it was not Irma that killed me. It was my lack of caution. or If I have heart attack replacing fence post broken this winter, It is simply dumb to say that Irma caused my death, I was a heart attack waiting to happen. But that is how they count them. This study didn't even do that, they were too lazy to do any real research, they took 2 statistics and put them together and just counted the entire difference as storm deaths. Trump gave out what was likely pretty accurate for the first # and without a doubt not even close to accurate for the 2nd #. Others want to use the # from this poorly done study, and they are likely also not even close.

I have a car crash and am not injured, 1 month later the car is on jacks being repaired from the damage caused by the wreck and it falls off and the mechanic is killed. Shouldn't we call that a traffic fatality? He died from an accident related to the car crash. Of course we shouldn't, and we don't. But that is exactly what we do with storms.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFBS and UCFWayne
Good grief, I can't believe all the excuses being made about PR's death count!!! I guess if difficult-to-swallow truths have become "fake news," we shouldn't be surprised that "PR fake deaths" are now all the rage among the Trumpsters.

Only a true-blue Trumpster would argue that an elderly woman who died because she didn't get her medication in the aftermath of the hurricane "shouldn't count" in the official stats. Mindboggling.

That is not what anyone is saying, We are simply saying the # that these lazy professors came up with is not nearly a accurate count. They took 2 Death counts and than decided whole cloth, that all the added deaths were storm related. It is a garbage in, garbage out #. The truth is no one truly knows the correct #. Including this lazy bunch of professors.

That is not what anyone is saying, We are simply saying the # that these lazy professors came up with is not nearly a accurate count. They took 2 Death counts and than decided whole cloth, that all the added deaths were storm related. It is a garbage in, garbage out #. The truth is no one truly knows the correct #. Including this lazy bunch of professors.
The liberal cycle is getting really old. They make some crazy ass claim using bad science or misrepresentations or willful editing of video and transcripts or whatever. Then we try to set them straight and correct whatever willful or sloppy error was made. Then they throw emotional appeal at us; the “I can’t believe you’d defend...” statement. Rinse. Repeat.

You can’t defeat an emotional appeal built on a foundation of lies when the person throwing it out doesn’t care about right or wrong. It’ll never happen.

How is he to count when there is no proof behind the number?

Well let's see: his initial tweet was that 6-18 people died and that after he left, that number didn't go up by much. It did. As many as 3,000? I don't know. But it was a shitpot full more than "didn't go up by much" and he's politically downplaying the total bigly.

The original posted # a couple of days after the storm was 16, I remember that # because I thought it had to be to small. A few weeks later I heard the # of 67 or 69. If you wish to count every death that had even the slightest connection to the storm it will be a big #, what that # is no one knows, but it is not the 2997 that came out of this half assed study.

The liberal cycle is getting really old. They make some crazy ass claim using bad science ...
You can’t defeat an emotional appeal built on a foundation of lies when the person throwing it out doesn’t care about right or wrong.

Yeah boy, sk8!!! Everybody knows the real death count was...
16!
Sheeeeesh. Those libs are SO into their crazy ass claims.

you would think our resident ucf professor would give a damn about getting the facts straight. instead he cares more about what trump said, and rightfully so about bad numbers, vs getting the numbers right. omg trump said some things.....

perspective:
Katrina 2005 - 1,833
Irma 2017 - 138
Mathew 2016 - 603
felix 2007 - 133
rita 2005 - 125
ivan 2004 - 124
andrew 1992 - 65

Maria 2017 - 2,975????

you would think our resident ucf professor would give a damn about getting the facts straight. instead he cares more about what trump said, and rightfully so about bad numbers, vs getting the numbers right. omg trump said some things.....

perspective:
Katrina 2005 - 1,833
Irma 2017 - 138
Mathew 2016 - 603
felix 2007 - 133
rita 2005 - 125
ivan 2004 - 124
andrew 1992 - 65

Maria 2017 - 2,975????

smgdh. You aren't very sharp are you? I do care about the facts--not politicizing it like the president, you fool. And you wonder why people think you're learning disabled.

smgdh. You aren't very sharp are you? I do care about the facts--not politicizing it like the president, you fool. And you wonder why people think you're learning disabled.

I agree that Trump needlessly politicized these numbers even if they're not really true BUT, you really don't think the left has politicized the entire PR recovery effort?

Disaster relief efforts have been politicized ever since Kanye West declared that George Bush doesn't care about black people.

hes politicizing it because its being used to attack him when the numbers are likely false to begin with. anyone would have a problem with that situation. i want the number to be as close to accurate as possible so that we can learn from past mistakes. i provided relevant hurricane death numbers to show that the recent study is probably way off. all of your previous posts in this thread indicated you cared more about the tweets than getting the number right. tds

Well let's see: his initial tweet was that 6-18 people died and that after he left, that number didn't go up by much. It did. As many as 3,000? I don't know. But it was a shitpot full more than "didn't go up by much" and he's politically downplaying the total bigly.
I get it but his argument is it’s not 3,000 and how can anyone debate that as well. There is no proof behind the 3,000 number.

Yeah boy, sk8!!! Everybody knows the real death count was...
16!
Sheeeeesh. Those libs are SO into their crazy ass claims.
The only reason you care is because you can use it to fuel your daily dose of rage.

hes politicizing it because its being used to attack him when the numbers are likely false to begin with. anyone would have a problem with that situation. i want the number to be as close to accurate as possible so that we can learn from past mistakes. i provided relevant hurricane death numbers to show that the recent study is probably way off. all of your previous posts in this thread indicated you cared more about the tweets than getting the number right. tds

And there it is. tds. I rarely get involved in political threads around here. Do you have nothing else you can parrot? I never said it was 3,000. I said it was a lot and more than what the president was willing to admit. Sorry you have such a hard time with all of that.

And there it is. tds. I rarely get involved in political threads around here. Do you have nothing else you can parrot? I never said it was 3,000. I said it was a lot and more than what the president was willing to admit. Sorry you have such a hard time with all of that.
you generally respond in here about trump tweets. perhaps you dont have fried ninja levels of tds, but its still there. hell even i said it was more than the 64 they claimed, but definitely not 3k. but you were still trying to argue for some reason. you claimed that maria did more damage than katrina implying the death toll had to be worse.

katrina damages: $125 billion
maria damages: $91.61 billion
im no ucf professor, but one is higher than the other....

hurricane harvey that hit texas just before maria: $125 billion not to mention irma that hit here was $64 billion. almost like our government struggled with 2 massive hurricanes in a row before maria. and yet the death toll is being politicized even though it is the definition of fake news. perhaps they shouldve conducted an actual study.

im sorry you have such a hard time with all of trumps tweets. i suggest you try to avoid his stupid tweets, yes i think most of his tweets are stupid, for the next 6 years.

The only reason you care is because you can use it to fuel your daily dose of rage.

LOL Daily dose of rage? Tell that to the guy who posted this gem:

The liberal cycle is getting really old. They make some crazy ass claim using bad science or misrepresentations or willful editing of video and transcripts or whatever. Then we try to set them straight and correct whatever willful or sloppy error was made. Then they throw emotional appeal at us; the “I can’t believe you’d defend...” statement. Rinse. Repeat.

you generally respond in here about trump tweets. perhaps you dont have fried ninja levels of tds, but its still there. hell even i said it was more than the 64 they claimed, but definitely not 3k. but you were still trying to argue for some reason. you claimed that maria did more damage than katrina implying the death toll had to be worse.

katrina damages: $125 billion
maria damages: $91.61 billion
im no ucf professor, but one is higher than the other....

hurricane harvey that hit texas just before maria: $125 billion not to mention irma that hit here was $64 billion. almost like our government struggled with 2 massive hurricanes in a row before maria. and yet the death toll is being politicized even though it is the definition of fake news. perhaps they shouldve conducted an actual study.

im sorry you have such a hard time with all of trumps tweets. i suggest you try to avoid his stupid tweets, yes i think most of his tweets are stupid, for the next 6 years.

Oh, give me a break. Are you that shook/humorless that people can't comment on the stupidity of his tweets in a joking way? Or is that too much for you, little snowflake? And it's few and far between with me with regard to posting on them as it were.

So, it's impossible for a death count to be similar or greater because the damage to property wasn't as much. A place that has a fraction of the infrastructure as here. Good. to. know.

It's pointless discussing this with you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT