ADVERTISEMENT

FAU is Up Next

FAU is very confident. After their loss at OSU the fans feel like they definitely have a chance to beat UCF. The 7.5 pt spread is really giving them a boner and with the QB uncertainty they're anticipating a big upset. I hope we smash them.
Guess it was a quality loss then.

Podcast click bait trying to ride our success. Dude looks like the fat kid from superbad in a DUI mugshot.
ATidSER5_400x400.jpg

Didn't their #1 RB go out with a broken foot in week 1? Don't see how they're going to make enough plays on offense against our improved defense.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
All of a sudden FAU which has been a nothing program is going to be good and beat us?

Everything would have to go to poop for us

They don’t have players that can win a lot of games

The spread is still bizarre to me. Doesn't add up. I guess we'll find out if there was anything to it in a few days.
just my guess they think:

1. our run blocking/OLine is not as good as Ohio State
2. Our QB is not as good as Justin Fields
3. Our secondary may be more at risk for a busted coverage bc of the B. Moore injury
4. Game is in Boca and FAU’s biggest home game of the season(energy)

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Ucfmikes
All of a sudden FAU which has been a nothing program is going to be good and beat us?

Everything would have to go to poop for us

They don’t have players that can win a lot of games

I think Tennessee, FSU, Purdue, Mizzou, Ole Miss and other P5 teams that lost last weekend to G5 schools probably said the same thing.

I'm glad UCF didn't feel that way before they beat Auburn (who had a better/richer program, better (on paper) recruits, etc....

FAU has recruits from some P5 powers that transferred in (Big Ten, SEC, ACC), plus other P6 recruits...plus good players from FL HS Powers in Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Orlando especially.

UCF will have to play well to win...hence why its a "close" game on the Vegas boards (was -7.5 pts).

just my guess they think:

1. our run blocking/OLine is not as good as Ohio State
2. Our QB is not as good as Justin Fields
3. Our secondary may be more at risk for a busted coverage bc of the B. Moore injury
4. Game is in Boca and FAU’s biggest home game of the season(energy)

Except for #1 they may have a point, especially with #2 if the P5 media assigned a mole to read our boards.

I think Tennessee, FSU, Purdue, Mizzou, Ole Miss and other P5 teams that lost last weekend to G5 schools probably said the same thing.

I'm glad UCF didn't feel that way before they beat Auburn (who had a better/richer program, better (on paper) recruits, etc....

FAU has recruits from some P5 powers that transferred in (Big Ten, SEC, ACC), plus other P6 recruits...plus good players from FL HS Powers in Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Orlando especially.

UCF will have to play well to win...hence why its a "close" game on the Vegas boards (was -7.5 pts).
All those schools that you mentioned are basically garbage right now. Maybe with the exception of Missouri. That’s questionable

I thought we could beat Auburn

If you listen to most of the talking heads that are not close to our program, for the most part they think we have fallen off in many areas due to graduation and injuries and in general are not as good as we have been the past 2 years.......the reality is overall we have a better team

If you listen to most of the talking heads that are not close to our program, for the most part they think we have fallen off in many areas due to graduation and injuries and in general are not as good as we have been the past 2 years.......the reality is overall we have a better team
[cheers]

Reactions: JAFFX2
In their minds, we haven't proven to reload yet. We might as well be Western Michigan in 2017.
Can't wait to prove them wrong.

It seems like I’m one of the only people on this board that’s a bit nervous about Saturday.

So many random factors on the table...

A) Hurricane distractions/practice interruption: This is probably what I’m least worried about, because the team hasn’t played since Thursday (and practiced earlier in the week than they normally would have), and because they are used to all of this by now. But still, missing practice tomorrow makes the week somewhat irregular.

2) FAU absolutely hung in there with Ohio State from the second through the fourth quarters. This is not FAMU; this is a team that was able to move the ball through the air against a top-10 team in the country (at their place).

3) Most significantly, I’m worried about our inexperienced defense playing in their first road game against a Lane Kiffin offense. With Bam Moore now out, UCF will be down to just four starters from last year’s matchup.

*Remember, last year UCF began the game rather lethargically. If that happens again, FAU’s crowd gets into the game and UCF doesn’t have the ability to turn to Milton.

I’ll be at the game, and I still like UCF to pull it out (superior overall talent).

But the people false-confidently proclaiming that UCF will blow FAU out are kind of perplexing. This is a new year, where is this all coming from? Because UCF did what they were supposed to do against FAMU?

I think the spread is more than fair. This is pretty much UCF’s season opener, their scrimmages in August were more competitive than last Thursday.

I think 31-21, but beware.

I think you guys have a great football team. Milton was absolutely incredible. Can Wambush/Gabriel live up to his skill? There's absolutely no way to evaluate UCF this year yet because your cupcake game doesn't tell us anything.

I'm not here to say FAU will win. I think the game could be close? which would make it more enjoyable for everyone. I hope they don't cancel this game.
Whether Wimbush/Gabriel are as good as Milton is not an issue for this game. The issue, for quarterback play, is whether they are as good if not better than Robison. Not only do they both pass this test, but the surrounding cast of playmakers for UCF is one of the top 10 groups of skilled playmakers in the country. How FAU compares to that mix is the relevant question. FAU lost by 20 last year, 56-36, when their key weapon was Devin Singletary, who is now gone. Thus, it's ironic that a FAU fan would think that the personnel changes since last year would lead them to a closer result.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
It seems like I’m one of the only people on this board that’s a bit nervous about Saturday.

A) Hurricane distractions/practice interruption: This is probably what I’m least worried about, because the team hasn’t played since Thursday (and practiced earlier in the week than they normally would have), and because they are used to all of this by now. But still, missing practice tomorrow makes the week somewhat irregular.

2) FAU absolutely hung in there with Ohio State from the second through the fourth quarters. This is not FAMU; this is a team that was able to move the ball through the air against a top-10 team in the country (at their place).

3) Most significantly, I’m worried about our inexperienced defense playing in their first road game against a Lane Kiffin offense. With Bam Moore now out, UCF will be down to just four starters from last year’s matchup.

*Remember, last year UCF began the game rather lethargically. If that happens again, FAU’s crowd gets into the game and UCF doesn’t have the ability to turn to Milton.

I’ll be at the game, and I still like UCF to pull it out (superior overall talent).

But the people false-confidently proclaiming that UCF will blow FAU out are kind of perplexing. This is a new year, where is this all coming from? Because UCF did what they were supposed to do against FAMU?

I think the spread is more than fair. This is pretty much UCF’s season opener, their scrimmages in August were more competitive than last Thursday.

Go look at the highlights and stats from last week.
FAU leading rusher was 10 carries for 25 yards. Second guy was 11 for 22 yards. If they can’t run the ball then they become one dimensional. Especially if we get out to a lead. Even with Bam going down I still think the secondary is the strength of the defense.

until I see more from the QB position I will always be a little uneasy about any opponent with a pulse.

I think/hope that this program is past the stage where these F_U games become at risk of a loss bc if they do the meltdown & questioning would crash this server.

Agreed that FAU will be significantly more of a test than FAMU. I feel that leads to a margin of 48-20.

I only watched it when they were getting blown out. Ive been meaning to watch the highlights to figure out how they got 21. I suspect Ohio State emptied the bench.

If FAU went to toe to toe early and stuck around like South Alabama did against the Cornfumblers, then i'd be more concerned about how good they are.

If we spend so much time bragging about how much attention we deserve, then its times like these we need to confidently claim we can match up like OSU did and cleanly defeat a team like FAU.

Besides i'm sure BW can't wait to complete those missed long passes. ;)

Go look at the highlights and stats from last week.
FAU leading rusher was 10 carries for 25 yards. Second guy was 11 for 22 yards. If they can’t run the ball then they become one dimensional. Especially if we get out to a lead. Even with Bam going down I still think the secondary is the strength of the defense.

I watched the entire game a couple times (DVR), so I’m not sure about a need for watching highlights.

FAU was not able to run the ball against Ohio State, no argument there. UCF will have to be as solid up front as Ohio State was in that department. The Owls also abandoned the run after they got in a hole/one of their RB’s got hurt.

But they run a ton of crossing routes that hurt Ohio State with TE seam route combos that could cause problems for UCF. FAU’s starting tight end is probably their best dude.

If people are nervous about FAU, do those folks expect us to lose to Stanford, Cincy, Houston and Memphis?

I mean, yeah. At Cincinnati on a Friday night is definitely a game I’m nervous about. It’s a road game against one of the best teams in the conference.

I don’t understand your point? UCF is not going to go undefeated every year.

And they don’t play Memphis (unless both teams hook-up in the AAC title game).

By the way, who said that Ohio State is the greatest team on Earth anyway?

Didn’t they lose to Purdue last year and NGEbraska gave them a run for their money

They had an NFL QB

Show some swag and confidence in your team people

Stop being such a bunch of worry warts

I think they will win, but I don’t think they will blow FAU out like you and a few others have posted. Swag on message boards means nothing, I’m trying to talk football.

I posted about actual reasons why I think the game will be close (and the line is correct). I’m not a fan boy, I’m just talking football with other UCF fans.

Sure on any given week anything can happen. Everything you listed are the kind of bull crap excuses you hear from Willie Taggart or Charlie Strong...........If this game is that close then we have much bigger problems to deal with this year.........and if that is the case then we are in for a long, disappointing year....but we are not!

All of those games. We are doomed if we can beat one of the bottom 4 teams on our schedule
Yep a loss to FAU would be a spiral risk where 8-4
could happen. I think a close first loss to Stanford
would be easier to recover from and keep the locker room in the right place.

If Brandon Wimbush can smack around Temple, then I’m sure that he can lay the smackdown on FAU

Aren’t they both just a bunch of Owls and I heard that he has a thing against owls.

Last edited:
I think they will win, but I don’t think they will blow FAU out like you and a few others have posted. Swag on message boards means nothing, I’m trying to talk football.

I posted about actual reasons why I think the game will be close (and the line is correct). I’m not a fan boy, I’m just talking football with other UCF fans.
You’re looking at it as a glass half empty. That’s fine, but where are the other more important positive factors?

The hurricane is basically a non factor. It’s gone. We had more days to prepare than FAU

The secondary has a ton of experience without Bam. We aren’t exactly going up against a top FBS QB

As far as hanging with Ohio State. I saw 28-0
After that, teams let off the gas pedal
I didn’t see FAU do anything in that game at anytime

I’m not expecting a route, but 10 points is close

I guess anything could happen, but if we win by 10 or less or even lose, we are f_ked

I mean, yeah. At Cincinnati on a Friday night is definitely a game I’m nervous about. It’s a road game against one of the best teams in the conference.
I don’t understand your point? UCF is not going to go undefeated every year.
And they don’t play Memphis (unless both teams hook-up in the AAC title game).
My point is we are in the class of Stanford, Cincy, Houston, and Memphis. Teams in that class don’t lose to FAU in a 30,000 seat stadium where 1/3 of the fans are yours. If I don’t believe we will lose, then the score shouldn’t be close. It should not be a one possession game.

Could we drop a couple games to Stanford, Cincy, Houston, or Memphis? Sure.

Regarding their TE doing crossing routes, you don’t think Randy Shannon has been watching that all week telling Evans, Mithchell, Gilyard, and Grant how to cover the guy? They won’t be surprised by crossing routes. Yes we struggled last season in Fiesta Bowl with crossing routes but I believe the LBs are much faster this season.

My point is we are in the class of Stanford, Cincy, Houston, and Memphis. Teams in that class don’t lose to FAU in a 30,000 seat stadium where 1/3 of the fans are yours. If I don’t believe we will lose, then the score shouldn’t be close. It should not be a one possession game.

Could we drop a couple games to Stanford, Cincy, Houston, or Memphis? Sure.

Regarding their TE doing crossing routes, you don’t think Randy Shannon has been watching that all week telling Evans, Mithchell, Gilyard, and Grant how to cover the guy? They won’t be surprised by crossing routes. Yes we struggled last season in Fiesta Bowl with crossing routes but I believe the LBs are much faster this season.
Do we typically play man or zone? Crossing routes work on zone defenses more. Everyone has to know their assignment or guys will be open constantly.

I'm the type who thinks you can only have one QB but after the FAMU game I can see why coaches try to make two QBs work. Can definitely see Heup continuing to give both time through the Pitt game.
It should be pretty simple. You play them both vs FAU and start the best guy for Stanford

Play that guy for a half or so and if he screws up, bench him for the second team guy

If he doesn’t, you stick with him

If the second team QB comes in and isn’t any better, then you have a QB controversy

I expect Dillon to win the job during the Stanford game and be the starter for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT