ADVERTISEMENT

FAU is Up Next

FAU fan, so don't crush me...

For those of you who did watch the FAU vs OSU game, no doubt the Owls were totally shell-shocked to start off. Ohio State is a top-5 team with a ton of talent and a young QB who is not going to be mistaken for Wimbush (I'd argue he is as good a runner and there is NO argument about his ability to throw the football). FAU got totally smacked around on both sides of the ball for the first quarter.

But for those who think OSU let up and emptied the bench, they may have done a little of the former (human nature) but they certainly didn't do the latter. Justin Fields was in the game getting blown-up on a corner blitz in the next to last series of the 4th quarter. And I also think OSU has a defense that might shutdown a lot of teams this year. So scoring 21 against them with the core of their starters still in was encouraging.

UCF is a top-20 team who also has a lot of talent, but I still don't think you guys have the depth of the Buckeyes and the difference won't be quite as big as it was last week. If FAU plays like they did the last 3 quarters against the OSU starters, this could be a tight game into the 4th quarter. If FAU doesn't take care of the football and/or makes some big mistakes and gets behind big early, UCF could cruise to a run-away win.

Last year's game has no bearing on this year's game. Milton and Singletary are not playing, but a big difference in the 2018 match-up were mistakes Robison made and Milton basically lifting the team on his shoulders to pull away after FAU took the lead. FAU is banking on Robison being more mature (we will see) and again Milton won't be there, so the Owl faithful hope that ***could *** make the game more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I think UCF is a very good football team. I just think OSU is poised to be in the CFP and FAU has the ability to play better against the Knights than they did the Buckeyes.

Line I look at (5dimes) has the Knights by 10 and over/under of 68. So UCF 39 - FAU 29.

For those of you who did watch the FAU vs OSU game, no doubt the Owls were totally shell-shocked to start off. Ohio State is a top-5 team with a ton of talent and a young QB who is not going to be mistaken for Wimbush (I'd argue he is as good a runner and there is NO argument about his ability to throw the football). FAU got totally smacked around on both sides of the ball for the first quarter.

But for those who think OSU let up and emptied the bench, they may have done a little of the former (human nature) but they certainly didn't do the latter. Justin Fields was in the game getting blown-up on a corner blitz in the next to last series of the 4th quarter. And I also think OSU has a defense that might shutdown a lot of teams this year. So scoring 21 against them with the core of their starters still in was encouraging.

UCF is a top-20 team who also has a lot of talent, but I still don't think you guys have the depth of the Buckeyes and the difference won't be quite as big as it was last week. If FAU plays like they did the last 3 quarters against the OSU starters, this could be a tight game into the 4th quarter. If FAU doesn't take care of the football and/or makes some big mistakes and gets behind big early, UCF could cruise to a run-away win.

Last year's game has no bearing on this year's game. Milton and Singletary are not playing, but a big difference in the 2018 match-up were mistakes Robison made and Milton basically lifting the team on his shoulders to pull away after FAU took the lead. FAU is banking on Robison being more mature (we will see) and again Milton won't be there, so the Owl faithful hope that ***could *** make the game more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I think UCF is a very good football team. I just think OSU is poised to be in the CFP and FAU has the ability to play better against the Knights than they did the Buckeyes.

Line I look at (5dimes) has the Knights by 10 and over/under of 68. So UCF 39 - FAU 29.
Thanks for sharing your insights. In addition to what you noted, this will be a home game for you guys (even though I expect a good UCF turnout) versus away at a huge stadium.

What’s your prediction? I think UCF wins - and covers - but I doubt we will see a 30 pt win. Thinking more in the 20s range.

Reactions: Knight Strength

Great post! I don't think anyone here is going to claim that UCF has as much talent as OSU, but this is a team that hasn't had a let-down game in 2 years. They're really good at maximizing what they have and never seem to let their foot off the gas. I'll be surprised if FAU keeps it within 21 points.

I know it is a cop-out and covering both sides, but I really do see it as either a 20+ point win by UCF if the Owls (and more specifically - Robison) make early mistakes -OR- it is a 10-point game or less in the 4th quarter where you never know what happens.

Put another way, if you jump on FAU early like OSU did we can see a similar kind of outcome to the Owl's first game. If the game is more like a big part of the 2018 first half against UCF, I think FAU would play better to keep it close deep into the game.

I stink at predicting games, so it will probably be between those. Again, the wise guys in Vegas are a lot smarter than me and they have it at 10 or so points.

Good insight, although I was looking at it differently in the fact that Ohio State's defense did not look that good. They are good on the Dline, but not so great in the pass coverage. Mark my word "Ohio State is going to get beat by Penn State this year, so no CFP for the Buckeyes" Penn State will be the surprise in the Big10 this year. :sunglasses:

I know it is a cop-out and covering both sides, but I really do see it as either a 20+ point win by UCF if the Owls (and more specifically - Robison) make early mistakes -OR- it is a 10-point game or less in the 4th quarter where you never know what happens.

Put another way, if you jump on FAU early like OSU did we can see a similar kind of outcome to the Owl's first game. If the game is more like a big part of the 2018 first half against UCF, I think FAU would play better to keep it close deep into the game.

I stink at predicting games, so it will probably be between those. Again, the wise guys in Vegas are a lot smarter than me and they have it at 10 or so points.

All you have to do is come up with a 3rd option and you are freakin Nostradamus!

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Great post! I don't think anyone here is going to claim that UCF has as much talent as OSU, but this is a team that hasn't had a let-down game in 2 years. They're really good at maximizing what they have and never seem to let their foot off the gas. I'll be surprised if FAU keeps it within 21 points.
I agree with you..but I think UCF wins by 36...this team is too deep..We also have a player from Ohio State and he just chatted his ex team about your tendencies..we are 2 deep in defence..offence is getting started..your depth has gone down ..Your coaches made changes to help u stay in game..but We are top 5 team..This team is developing a system ..Where u can add any player and they will play to the system..Meaning no team without better players can beat them..Alabama Clemson Oklahoma Georgia Ohio State have these systens in place..UCF is implementing a system as well..

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Looking back at last year's game FAU hit on two high-risk high-reward 4th down plays early in the game that both led directly to 14 points. UCF's attempt to match them in the first half on a 4th and 3 failed and turned the ball over on downs. Those three momentum swinging plays kept FAU hanging around until the second half but they were out matched by the depth of talent on the roster and an electric Milton. Can the Owls repeat that type of high risk play calling AND have it pay off all game in order to keep it close all 4 quarters? Will a Heupel staff that is now much more experienced than their 3rd game at UCF be able to not get out-coached by Kiffin this year? I'm ready to kick this thing off and find out.

Show some swag and confidence in your team people

Stop being such a bunch of worry warts
Let's all just watch some Ric Flair videos on the drive down and get swagged up!

Pre-game beer slamming at Duffy's, huge whoop ass win against trash FAU, party at Seminole Hard Rock all night!
hqdefault.jpg

O

Overall, I think your assessment is fair. UCF's secondary is their strength on defense so if FAU is not able to run the ball effectively then it will be a long night for the Owls. That said, Kiffin is going to throw the Kitchen sink at us again and could end up burning us on trick plays and fakes if we are not ready.

O

Overall, I think your assessment is fair. UCF's secondary is their strength on defense so if FAU is not able to run the ball effectively then it will be a long night for the Owls. That said, Kiffin is going to throw the Kitchen sink at us again and could end up burning us on trick plays and fakes if we are not ready.

I think the new defensive line will keep the Kitchen sink in place providing a lot of pressure on the FAU pipes. Lets see how long it takes before they burst from the heavy pressure. :sunglasses:

Was FAU the game last year where every fourth down the qb would snap the ball and decide to throw or punt?

Yeah. Their actual punter had one blocked and scooped for a TD against both OU and Air Force earlier in that year. Their punt game was killing them. Kiffin used that glaring weakness and flipped the script with the fakes and the QB punts and totally caught our staff off-guard. It was excellent coaching and execution. Kept them in it.

I just watched the Fau Ohio State game. Looks like Ohio State really took their foot off the gas pedal come the second quarter. The play calling the entire game really looked Vanilla for them.

Plus lets not forget Fields is still a freshman. Idc if he was ranked as high as Lawrence it was still his first real start and there were many plays where he made mistakes.

Not that it really matters since people didn't have to worry about getting harassed for tailgating early at FAU, but I believe the official time for the lots to open has been moved up to 1 PM from 3 PM (typically 4 hours before game time is now 6 hours for the UCF game). Just a head's up if you wanted to head to the lots early.

Certainly smaller than the Bounce House, but it is a nice stadium. And they sell beer and wine everywhere - you have to be over in the Delray deck to access the full bar.

Not that it really matters since people didn't have to worry about getting harassed for tailgating early at FAU, but I believe the official time for the lots to open has been moved up to 1 PM from 3 PM (typically 4 hours before game time is now 6 hours for the UCF game). Just a head's up if you wanted to head to the lots early.

Certainly smaller than the Bounce House, but it is a nice stadium. And they sell beer and wine everywhere - you have to be over in the Delray deck to access the full bar.
We will only put up 50 now for your hospitality kind sir

My point is we are in the class of Stanford, Cincy, Houston, and Memphis. Teams in that class don’t lose to FAU in a 30,000 seat stadium where 1/3 of the fans are yours. If I don’t believe we will lose, then the score shouldn’t be close. It should not be a one possession game.

Could we drop a couple games to Stanford, Cincy, Houston, or Memphis? Sure.

Regarding their TE doing crossing routes, you don’t think Randy Shannon has been watching that all week telling Evans, Mithchell, Gilyard, and Grant how to cover the guy? They won’t be surprised by crossing routes. Yes we struggled last season in Fiesta Bowl with crossing routes but I believe the LBs are much faster this season.
Ie: no Jasinski trying to cover a 4.3 guy

If DG comes out like last game and Wimbush performs the same, DG moves up to starter and Wimbush backs him up for the rest of the season. I think Mack pretty much screwed himself over for being a starter at UCF. Next season DG will be better and KZ will be back.

If DG comes out like last game and Wimbush performs the same, DG moves up to starter and Wimbush backs him up for the rest of the season. I think Mack pretty much screwed himself over for being a starter at UCF. Next season DG will be better and KZ will be back.
I really want to see this scenario happen but it kills me of thought of DG and KZ competing for the job next year and the potential for KZ losing to DG. Its gut wrenching.

I really want to see this scenario happen but it kills me of thought of DG and KZ competing for the job next year and the potential for KZ losing to DG. Its gut wrenching.
I think the chances of KZ coming back at near his previous ability level in 2020 are minuscule. That being said if we have to burn Gabriel's redshirt this year, it would be so perfect if KZ could allow us to get Gabriel's redshirt back in 2020.

I wonder if we go the whole white out against Stanford? Cause if Stanford wears white and it’s a white out, I’ll be a little confused
Visiting team has priority on traditional away uniform choices. For Stanford, it would be white so we would have to ask them for permission to wear white. We asked Pitt last year and they refused

Finally watched the highlights of FAU/Ohio State. There is no reason why except for maybe home field advantage we cant race out to a two or three score lead like Ohio State did. Due to the pace of our offense, it will be no surprise if a team like FAU can put up points eventually. We should have the talent to avoid an early shoot out.

I wonder if we go the whole white out against Stanford? Cause if Stanford wears white and it’s a white out, I’ll be a little confused
Only one team can wear white and the other the dark. If not you get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. I believe at both halves kickoffs.

Visiting team has priority on traditional away uniform choices. For Stanford, it would be white so we would have to ask them for permission to wear white. We asked Pitt last year and they refused
That’s what I thought. But when we all wear white to the game and Stanford wears white. Won’t it look a little odd?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT