ADVERTISEMENT

Frat boys gonna fratboy

Originally posted by CommuterBob:

As despicable a song that it was, I think the university overstepped their bounds by expelling the students. Free speech and due process seem to have been violated here, especially considering this is a public institution. I don't agree with what they said, but they should have at least been afforded due process and should be covered under free speech.
If I were OU, Id be preparing for a law suit. It will be filed any day now.

Originally posted by UCFWayne:

As despicable a song that it was, I think the university overstepped their bounds by expelling the students. Free speech and due process seem to have been violated here, especially considering this is a public institution. I don't agree with what they said, but they should have at least been afforded due process and should be covered under free speech.
For OU it was a no brainer to expel the kids immediately. They get to be seen as tough on racists, the kids won't want to stick around OU after this anyways, and even if there's a legal challenge to OU's actions, the school will still come out as being "on the right side" of the incident. There's no downside in them expelling the kids immediately.

Purely from a PR perspective, OU nailed it.

Start teaching micro-economics earlier and start classes relating to money-management in public schools at about 6th grade, maybe earlier. Just like any other subject, incorporate it more into math-classes if possible. If they are starting to learn Algebra, they can start learning how to manage a ledger. This was the best idea I have ever heard. Kids coming out of high school have very little concept of saving or budgeting and that's when the habits start. This is bipartisan also...that's a form of "indoctrination" I can get behind. Learn how to use money because it is used regardless of what system is in play. I can think of MANY that could benefit from that form of education.

Originally posted by UCFKnight85:

For OU it was a no brainer to expel the kids immediately. They get to be seen as tough on racists, the kids won't want to stick around OU after this anyways, and even if there's a legal challenge to OU's actions, the school will still come out as being "on the right side" of the incident. There's no downside in them expelling the kids immediately.

Oh I totally agree with you. I just see a big fat pay check for these racist a**holes coming.

As Wayne said, there's going to be a lawsuit, and OU is likely going to be on the losing end of it. That's going to be some expensive PR in the end, and for what? SAE national had already pulled the charter, so the pound of flesh had already been exacted. I'm not sure how expelling the students gives them any additional positive press.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/first-amendment-withers-as-social-media-mobs-take-flight-031215

"Whatever happened to the bravery embodied in this quote, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it?"

It died.

Social media has killed it.

Thank God we don't have to vote our first amendment protections into law today, they'd never pass."

"Democracy without the rule of law is two wolves and one sheep deciding what's for dinner. This week David Boren made sure he was the wolf. If this all sounds familiar, it should. It's exactly how corrupt Southern lawmen used to deal with mobs that arrived on their jail doorstep seeking to punish alleged wrongdoers, many of whom had done nothing wrong at all. Many lawmen gave into the mobs. Why? Because if they didn't they were afraid the mobs would come after them next."

Boren's actions aren't brave. They're cowardly. He's giving into the mob.

LOL! This thread delivers. With all the truly offensive crap that gets spewed on this forum, you all pick on "gay"?!?! ROFL

Originally posted by fabknight:

LOL! This thread delivers. With all the truly offensive crap that gets spewed on this forum, you all pick on "gay"?!?! ROFL

It had nothing to do with "gay" and everything to do with who said it, me. 85 pulled the race card out because he feels his frat was insulted. Of course he can't back up his posts, pretty normal.

Originally posted by Sir Galahad:

It had nothing to do with "gay" and everything to do with who said it, me. 85 pulled the race card out because he feels his frat was insulted. Of course he can't back up his posts, pretty normal.
My fraternity was never mentioned in this thread, I simply pointed out how stupid your logic was in the original post, as usual.

And everyone here knows you're a country club racist.

Originally posted by UCFRogerz:

So calling something gay is comparable to chanting racists songs in a large group. Got it, yup I'm the dumb one.
A derogatory term is a derogatory term. If that doesn't register, you're a lost cause and should be put down.
are we still allowed to say something or someone is retarded?

Originally posted by MACHater02:
Pretty sure the lawsuit has already been filed.
From published reports, the fraternity chapter has retained the same lawyer used by Timothy McVeigh. No word on the two expelled students.

Originally posted by Dmarino110:

Originally posted by UCFRogerz:

So calling something gay is comparable to chanting racists songs in a large group. Got it, yup I'm the dumb one.
A derogatory term is a derogatory term. If that doesn't register, you're a lost cause and should be put down.
are we still allowed to say something or someone is retarded?
No, call them liberal instead, it's more insulting.

My fraternity was never mentioned in this thread, I simply pointed out how stupid your logic was in the original post, as usual.

And everyone here knows you're a country club racist.
Kind of hard to be a country club racists when I do not hand never have belonged to a country club. I have gone to a few but mostly the members remind of the typical fraternity douche bag you meet that still have their fraternity letters on their cars even at 29 years old.

This post was edited on 3/14 11:33 AM by Sir Galahad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT