ADVERTISEMENT

Gabriel doesn’t run

Stormthecourt?

Golden Knight
Jan 19, 2012
he doesn’t tuck the ball and run at all. It’s almost like he’s been told not to. Best example is fourth quarter with 8 minutes left on their 15 yard line 3rd&2 and he drifted to his left and lobbed the ball to hescock. Ball bounced off the TE hand and fell. To me it seemed like he could have got the 2 yards in front of him by running

he doesn’t tuck the ball and run at all. It’s almost like he’s been told not to. Best example is fourth quarter with 8 minutes left on their 15 yard line 3rd&2 and he drifted to his left and lobbed the ball to hescock. Ball bounced off the TE hand and fell. To me it seemed like he could have got the 2 yards in front of him by running

Yup. MM makes the first down all day. I think we all were quick to annoint him as the next MM and the kid can really ball. Freshman MM made alot of mistakes and continued to grow. Gabriel will grow too but he is going to make those types of mistakes

Yup. MM makes the first down all day. I think we all were quick to annoint him as the next MM and the kid can really ball. Freshman MM made alot of mistakes and continued to grow. Gabriel will grow too but he is going to make those types of mistakes

Just a freshmen he will learn. Milton made plenty of mistakes as a freshmen

Reactions: Lurky
If he can’t or doesn’t run, we will lose more games

Since we can’t necessarily compete with the top teams in the trenches, we need that dimension

That’s how Greg Ward jr. beat Oklahoma

Your skilled position players need to be dynamic and an ultimate weapon

A running QB is deadly in college football and DG doesn’t appear to be THAT guy

Mack will play soon and we will once again have a QB controversy when fans see that he can steamroll defenders

Last edited:
If he can’t or doesn’t run, we will lose more games

Since we can’t necessarily compete with the top teams in the trenches, we need that dimension

That’s how Greg Ward jr. beat Oklahoma

Your skilled position players need to be dynamic and an ultimate weapon

A running QB is deadly in college football and DG doesn’t appear to be THAT guy

Mack will play soon and we will once again have a QB controversy when fans see that he can steamroll defenders
Yeah I’m not expecting King from Houston but a two yard pick up isn’t crazy

Yeah I’m not expecting King from Houston but a two yard pick up isn’t crazy
He hasn’t shown he’s capable of that

Play both QBs

When your QB is timid/smallish and so are your RBs, you are very limited on short yardage plays

Reactions: JAFFX2
Agree. Huepel's offense needs that mobile QB dimension otherwise it starts to get easy to defend. I wonder what the deal is...is Huepel so shaken by MM's injury that he's removed that option?

Reactions: Boston.Knight
It’s been open season on QBs. Did you guys watch the USC, Michigan games. QBs were getting killed running. You get kicked out but the QB gets hurt. We don’t need that.

Was it football related? What does that have to do with anything?

Newsflash. It’s ok for a QB to run the ball

I guess nobody is doing that anymore
I would say the fact that it wasn't football related is more damning than anything.

I agree that Gabriel should've tucked more, but the notion that Mack is going to come in there and the QB run game is all of a sudden become a lethal weapon is absurd. Mack showed zero ability in the QB scramble game, he was a statue back there, his running success came mostly in designed short yardage runs where we were able to overpower D-Lines that weren't great. That would not have been effective against Pitt and Stanford. As the Wild Wimbush plays showed.

I would say the fact that it wasn't football related is more damning than anything.

I agree that Gabriel should've tucked more, but the notion that Mack is going to come in there and the QB run game is all of a sudden become a lethal weapon is absurd. Mack showed zero ability in the QB scramble game, he was a statue back there, his running success came mostly in designed short yardage runs where we were able to overpower D-Lines that weren't great. That would not have been effective against Pitt and Stanford. As the Wild Wimbush plays showed.
Didn’t work against FAU either.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
DG wasn't recruited by Army to be a pocket passer, he may not be KZ but he is a capable runner........ So is it CJHs direction to not run or is DG just scared shitless of what happened to KZ

Gabriel showed he gets timid after being hit in FAU game. Pitt's defensive play was substantially better, to me it looks more like he was afraid of scrambling and getting lit up.

DG wasn't recruited by Army to be a pocket passer, he may not be KZ but he is a capable runner........ So is it CJHs direction to not run or is DG just scared shitless of what happened to KZ

Yeah, that's the question.

At this point, I don't think we have much of a choice but to alter the playbook. Hype is a sharp guy. We will see some new wrinkles against UC for sure.

I'll also say if we are really gun shy about DG getting hurt as true freshman, it may make sense to redshirt him and make DJ the man.

Next year, he and KZ can work together 1 and 1a on developing the run game little more. NY6 lock. Think longer term.

My hunch is that theres some combo of Heupel not wanting him to run and DG not wanting to run. He watched one of his closest friends go through a horrible leg injury, I bet that sits in the back of his mind.

Devil's advocate, MM didn't slide a lot and took a lot of chances with his body. Our QBs don't need to be limited when there is a wide open field for 3-5 to pick up a first down, there's sliding and running out of bounds available.

However, he is a freshman QB and maybe he thinks his skillset will allow him to make a low % throw into coverage. He'll figure it out, just hopefully sooner rather than later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT