ADVERTISEMENT

Geez, the hate for us is really showing

That team didn't beat LSU. Yeah, your QB was hurt but about half of LSU's players opted out of the bowl game.
This is the more accurate way to look at it:
So what's more important to the outcome of these Superbowls:
1. The 1983 49ers playing Matt Cavanaugh (instead of Joe Montana) or the opposing defense missing some players.
2. The 2006 Colts playing Jim Sorgi (instead of Peyton Manning) or the opposing defense missing some players.
3. The 2018 Patriots playing Brian Hoyer (instead of Tom Brady) or the opposing defense missing some players.

I’ll summarize.

Hey guys, remember that undefeated 2017 season where you finished top 3 in all 6 BCS computer rankings? That doesn’t matter because of losses in future years with different QBs and supporting casts.
Except that you weren't. Only 4 of them had you in the top 3, while 5 of them had Alabama at #1.

Sagarin had you at #13
Massey had you at #8
Dude...get some common sense.

1. That's the difference...ND and Alabama had a chance to settle the issue ON THE FIELD. UCF was given no such opportunity. The ONLY sports league in the ENTIRE WORLD who excludes undefeated teams from their championship process.
UCF had the 90th ranked SoS going into bowl season. Your only P5 win came against a Maryland team that went 2-7 in their conference. You only regular season ranked wins came against other teams with soft schedules against a single P5 opponent each. A squeaker against a 4-5 UCLA and an 0-9 Illinois.

3. UCF made three different suggestions to UF to play them...including a n option that would pay UF more than a road game and as much as a home game...and UF is the one that said no to all three options.
UCF went 5-19 against P5 teams in the decade prior to 2016, you aren't on the same level or prestige as UF. Your AD took it upon himself to try and lecture UF about fairness despite UF's amazing success int he last 20 years and your relative obscurity for most of that time.

When TCU got into the Big 12, they were 16-4 against P5 opponents in the prior 10 years. They had proven themselves over an extended period of time. Just 3 years ago you got destroyed by Michigan and then lost to a 3-6 Big Ten Maryland. The year prior, a 1-7 conference South Carolina beat you by 3 scores and almost doubled your yardage.

UCF had the 90th ranked SoS going into bowl season. Your only P5 win came against a Maryland team that went 2-7 in their conference. You only regular season ranked wins came against other teams with soft schedules against a single P5 opponent each. A squeaker against a 4-5 UCLA and an 0-9 Illinois.

The fact remains...FBS football is the ONLY sports league in the WORLD...including every other division of college football...and other physical leagues such as rugby...that leaves undefeated teams out of its championship process.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
Except that you weren't. Only 4 of them had you in the top 3, while 5 of them had Alabama at #1.

Sagarin had you at #13
Massey had you at #8

UCF went 5-19 against P5 teams in the decade prior to 2016, you aren't on the same level or prestige as UF. Your AD took it upon himself to try and lecture UF about fairness despite UF's amazing success int he last 20 years and your relative obscurity for most of that time.

When TCU got into the Big 12, they were 16-4 against P5 opponents in the prior 10 years. They had proven themselves over an extended period of time. Just 3 years ago you got destroyed by Michigan and then lost to a 3-6 Big Ten Maryland. The year prior, a 1-7 conference South Carolina beat you by 3 scores and almost doubled your yardage.
There are multiple Sagarin ratings. The unbiased formula that they used for BCS had UCF in the top 3. The Massey I’m pretty sure you are incorrect but willing to change my mind if you provide evidence of that.

There are multiple Sagarin ratings. The unbiased formula that they used for BCS had UCF in the top 3. The Massey I’m pretty sure you are incorrect but willing to change my mind if you provide evidence of that.
Sagarin ELO is the one. It had UCF at #1 in 2017.

Sagarin stopped running or publishing his ELO ratings in 2015 after the BCS folded and I can't imagine he made his methodology public considering it's his source of income. I believe Massey stopped publishing his BCS system in 2014. I could be wrong, but anything stating the results of their BCS ratings system post 2015 is bullshit.

Even so, Sagarin has stated multiple times that his predictor models are more accurate and that he had to dumb it down, remove margin of victory, for the BCS because it eliminated underdog opportunities that drive ratings. FCS teams also appeared frequently in the top 25 of ELO rankings, but were filtered out for the BCS.

Sagarin's actual 2017-18 rankings. None of the 3 Sagarin rankings have UCF in top 3, only 1 has them in top 10. That's why the Sagarin composite has them at 13.
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2017/team/

Here is the Massey Composite for final 2017. Massey's own rating is the 4th column of the 3rd number set.
https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/arch/compare2017-15.htm

https://www.masseyratings.com/CF/0/ratings?yr=2017

Sagarin stopped running or publishing his ELO ratings in 2015 after the BCS folded and I can't imagine he made his methodology public considering it's his source of income. I believe Massey stopped publishing his BCS system in 2014. I could be wrong, but anything stating the results of their BCS ratings system post 2015 is bullshit.

Even so, Sagarin has stated multiple times that his predictor models are more accurate and that he had to dumb it down, remove margin of victory, for the BCS because it eliminated underdog opportunities that drive ratings. FCS teams also appeared frequently in the top 25 of ELO rankings, but were filtered out for the BCS.

Sagarin's actual 2017-18 rankings. None of the 3 Sagarin rankings have UCF in top 3, only 1 has them in top 10. That's why the Sagarin composite has them at 13.
https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2017/team/

Here is the Massey Composite for final 2017. Massey's own rating is the 4th column of the 3rd number set.
https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/arch/compare2017-15.htm

https://www.masseyratings.com/CF/0/ratings?yr=2017
Sagarin ELO is shown at the bottom of the link you posted actually under the new feature section. Second to last column. Lists UCF at #1 as I remembered.

At any rate you seem to be missing the point, BCS computer ratings had UCF at #3 before bowl season began. Before they beat the team that beat both CFP championship participants. In an unbiased world, UCF should have been in a 4 team playoff. They played a comparable schedule to Boise who ascended to #3 (just high enough that they would be excluded) a decade ago.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-rank-the-college-football-playoff-contenders

Last edited:
Sagarin ELO is shown at the bottom of the link you posted actually under the new feature section. Second to last column. Lists UCF at #1 as I remembered.

At any rate you seem to be missing the point, BCS computer ratings had UCF at #3 before bowl season began. Before they beat the team that beat both CFP championship participants. In an unbiased world, UCF should have been in a 4 team playoff. They played a comparable schedule to Boise who ascended to #3 (just high enough that they would be excluded) a decade ago.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-rank-the-college-football-playoff-contenders
Oh, there is an ELO rating for that year. That's really weird that he didn't publish an ELO rating system in 2014,2015,2016, 2018, or 2019 but published one in 2017.

Well, I'll admit that I'm wrong about him not publishing an ELO at any point after the BCS. But, that exact article you just listed doesn't include Sagarin or Massey's ratings because they didn't publish them during the season. Sagarin didn't release an ELO ratings until after the season, probably as a point of comparison given the UCF situation.

But I still stand by my other statements. The guy that created it thinks it's the least accurate of his predictors and his other models had you finishing #8-#16.

Do you think beating a team by 50 points is better than beating a team by 1 point? If so, congratulations, you also think his other systems are better.

Oh, there is an ELO rating for that year. That's really weird that he didn't publish an ELO rating system in 2014,2015,2016, 2018, or 2019 but published one in 2017.

Well, I'll admit that I'm wrong about him not publishing an ELO at any point after the BCS. But, that exact article you just listed doesn't include Sagarin or Massey's ratings because they didn't publish them during the season. Sagarin didn't release an ELO ratings until after the season, probably as a point of comparison given the UCF situation.

But I still stand by my other statements. The guy that created it thinks it's the least accurate of his predictors and his other models had you finishing #8-#16.

Do you think beating a team by 50 points is better than beating a team by 1 point? If so, congratulations, you also think his other systems are better.
Your opinion on other systems being better (conveniently they have UCF lower) is not relevant to the discussion that the ranking used by Sagarin for BCS placing had UCF at #1. He has another system that uses prior seasons as a starting point and has some other methodology. Great. Irrelevant to the BCS computer rankings which would have put UCF at #3 prior to the bowl game. It’s funny. UCF never said it was the only NC. Throughout history there have been multiple champions all the time. It’s not absurd to think that winning all games and ranking top 3 in unbiased computer rankings warrants a discussion on who is truly the best team.

Reactions: Square Knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT