ADVERTISEMENT

GT vs UCF game

I 'm glad GT won against FSU that was a good win. I thought the GT defense played well along with a strong pass rush that keep Blackman off balance. Not surprised Collins has been stronger on the defensive side of coaching. Your young QB should have a bright future. On a side note dId you know Collins coached LB at UCF years ago. I hope they have a safe game. :cool:

Hey guys, GT fan here. Excited to get to play y’all this year. I know every year can be so different from the last so what should we as fans know about UCF? Strengths weaknesses etc? Thanks, and for those who will be able to make the game be safe and have fun!
Welcome. I was a lifelong Tech fan (my dad is an alumni) until I went to UCF. I've been looking forward to this matchup for a long time.

I 'm glad GT won against FSU that was a good win. I thought the GT defense played well along with a strong pass rush that keep Blackman off balance. Not surprised Collins has been stronger on the defensive side of coaching. Your young QB should have a bright future. On a side note dId you know Collins coached LB at UCF years ago. I hope they have a safe game. :cool:
I was pleasantly surprised with the DL. I knew they should be better with an extra year under their belt, but we were missing two starters on the DL, DE and DT.

I was not aware that Collins coaches at UCF, I know that Brent Key coached there though and I think he’s done a great job with the OL based off of yesterday’s game.

I was pleasantly surprised with the DL. I knew they should be better with an extra year under their belt, but we were missing two starters on the DL, DE and DT.

I was not aware that Collins coaches at UCF, I know that Brent Key coached there though and I think he’s done a great job with the OL based off of yesterday’s game.
Brent Key is a fantastic O-Line coach. Don’t let him sniff anywhere near a HC position. Where should we get beers/grub around Bobby Dodd? After game nightlife recs and/or quintessential GT place of interest? Should be fun Saturday.

Brent Key is a fantastic O-Line coach. Don’t let him sniff anywhere near a HC position. Where should we get beers/grub around Bobby Dodd? After game nightlife recs and/or quintessential GT place of interest? Should be fun Saturday.
I don’t drink so I can’t help with that. As for food, just depends on your mood. You should be able to find pretty much any type of food. I honestly don’t eat around the stadium. I drive to Lenox for that. If you are there early for the game in the morning time there is a place called west egg cafe around the corner from the stadium that may be my favorite breakfast joint.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I don’t drink so I can’t help with that. As for food, just depends on your mood. You should be able to find pretty much any type of food. I honestly don’t eat around the stadium. I drive to Lenox for that. If you are there early for the game in the morning time there is a place called west egg cafe around the corner from the stadium that may be my favorite breakfast joint.
Welcome!

Isn’t there a famous hot dog joint near the stadium?

Welcome!

Isn’t there a famous hot dog joint near the stadium?
The varsity. It’s not really about the food as it is about the experience, of that makes sense. Story is that a GT student had a teacher tell him he wouldn’t amount to anything. He ended up dropping out and pushing a hot dog cart around which eventually turned into the varsity. If you go, the orange shake is a must try imo.

For those interested in knowing about GT here is some info. I’m a firm believer that for the most part the year before doesn’t mean much because a lot can change and imo that’s the case with GT.

this year we have arguably our best two OL from last year starting at LT and LG and both are upper class men. our center beat out an ex all ACC lineman, our RG is a grad transfer from UT and our RT is a true freshman who is 6’7 and 340. At RB and WR we are pretty stacked. QB looks to be on the up, Sims had a very good game minus his two ints which were freshman mistakes imo. With that being said, there is still a long way to go but this offense is night and day different than last year. I do want to see more of their progression though because yesterday was such a small sample size.

on defense our secondary is stacked, we have 3 maybe 4 NFL guys there. We held over half of our opponents to under 225 yards passing including Clemson. On the DL we will have a starting DT and DE missing it looks like but we have decent depth there though. LB we are pretty thin though. Teams beat us last year on the ground and imo if UCF wins it will need to be on the ground. This will definitely be a bigger test than FSU imo.

For those interested in knowing about GT here is some info. I’m a firm believer that for the most part the year before doesn’t mean much because a lot can change and imo that’s the case with GT.

this year we have arguably our best two OL from last year starting at LT and LG and both are upper class men. our center beat out an ex all ACC lineman, our RG is a grad transfer from UT and our RT is a true freshman who is 6’7 and 340. At RB and WR we are pretty stacked. QB looks to be on the up, Sims had a very good game minus his two ints which were freshman mistakes imo. With that being said, there is still a long way to go but this offense is night and day different than last year. I do want to see more of their progression though because yesterday was such a small sample size.

on defense our secondary is stacked, we have 3 maybe 4 NFL guys there. We held over half of our opponents to under 225 yards passing including Clemson. On the DL we will have a starting DT and DE missing it looks like but we have decent depth there though. LB we are pretty thin though. Teams beat us last year on the ground and imo if UCF wins it will need to be on the ground. This will definitely be a bigger test than FSU imo.
I know all about Juanyeh Thomas. He's from my hometown. That kid had like 6 games in a row with a pick 6 in high school. Unheard of on any level. UCF's after his lil bro Azareyah. USF just landed another kid from my hometown, (DeFuniak Springs) running back K'awan Powell.

Reactions: Techwreck47
I know all about Juanyeh Thomas. He's from my hometown. That kid had like 6 games in a row with a pick 6 in high school. Unheard of on any level. UCF's after his lil bro Azareyah. USF just landed another kid from my hometown, (DeFuniak Springs) running back K'awan Powell.
I don’t live far from your home town then (2 hours) I’m right in Baldwin county AL. I think GT lands his little brother, that’s my hopes at least. With a free year given to players he and his brother could play together.

Reactions: Willie Knightime
What positions are the strong point and weak points?

the players that decided to opt out, were they big losses?

2 of the 10 that oped out for the season were playmakers on Defense. Its next man up, hopefully someone stands out and takes advantage of their opportunity.

Our defense usually slows you down and tries to get turnovers. If you giveup the ball more than once its very tough to beat us. This year our secondary is expected to be stronger than our front 7.

Offensively we score on 8 of 10 drives. We usually score fast so expect a 2 minute drill pace all game.

Hey guys, GT fan here. Excited to get to play y’all this year. I know every year can be so different from the last so what should we as fans know about UCF? Strengths weaknesses etc? Thanks, and for those who will be able to make the game be safe and have fun!
We should be pretty solid everywhere, though depth could be a problem with 10 sitting out. My biggest worry is you never know how a team comes out for the first game. You have that game under your belt already. I would be much happier had we played FIU last week.

We should be pretty solid everywhere, though depth could be a problem with 10 sitting out. My biggest worry is you never know how a team comes out for the first game. You have that game under your belt already. I would be much happier had we played FIU last week.
Imo this game could be pretty close. This isn’t the same GT team as last year. I think both teams could have some pretty good success on offense. Should be fun!

It looks like there may be rain. I saw a Cat 1 going through the Gulf and ending near Atlanta Saturday. Will be just a regular storm by then but still looks soggy.

We don’t usually beat teams with our run game exclusively. Deep ball usually softens the defense for holes up middle. Otis Anderson is a RB that plays slot a lot. Quick screen to him if sender gives him a cushion. Look for quite a bit throws 30+ yards downfield. Especially on first down.

It looks like there may be rain. I saw a Cat 1 going through the Gulf and ending near Atlanta Saturday. Will be just a regular storm by then but still looks soggy.

We don’t usually beat teams with our run game exclusively. Deep ball usually softens the defense for holes up middle. Otis Anderson is a RB that plays slot a lot. Quick screen to him if sender gives him a cushion. Look for quite a bit throws 30+ yards downfield. Especially on first down.
That actually may play to GT’s strength. We are big and fast in the secondary. With 3-4 NFL guys and maybe even more when it’s all said and done. Swilling and Walton will probably start at CB for us and both are over 6 foot. Thomas and Carpenter will be at safety and they are both over 6’2 230 and can run. And there isn’t really a drop off with our 2 deep. Our secondary held Trevor Lawrence to under 200 yards passing and two int’s last year. Only 3 teams threw for over 250 on GT last year and only 1 over 300 if I’m not mistaken.

I'm excited for our matchup. It's tough to predict how we're looking this year due to limited videos, but I'll give up my thoughts on our performance last year accounting for who's on the team this year.

If I were to grade each position where a 1 is a starter at a low ranked FBS school, 5 is average, and a 10 is Joe Burrow-esqe, I'd give our positions:

QB: 8.5
RB: 8.5
WR: 8.75
TE: 6.5
O Line: 7
D Line: 7.75
LB: 8.25
DB: 8.75

I thought our QB, WR, and DBs are quite elite, could easily get playing time at other top 20 P5 schools.

O Line and D line were our weaknesses last year. We have probably 80%-90% of them returning, so there is a chance we could make a big improvement in these positions.

Last edited:
UCF is 8.5 point favorite.

If anything like when we last saw UCF play (In the bowl game against Marshall) we score early and often. Should be interesting. I like that Gatech just beat FSU. I watched most of that game. I think UCF wins by a lot. Disclaimer: got black & gold goggles on tight, super biased. Glad we are playing!

UCF is 8.5 point favorite.

If anything like when we last saw UCF play (In the bowl game against Marshall) we score early and often. Should be interesting. I like that Gatech just beat FSU. I watched most of that game. I think UCF wins by a lot. Disclaimer: got black & gold goggles on tight, super biased. Glad we are playing!
I’m torn on this game, UCF definitely isn’t the same team as they were with Frost but I do like Heupel. Imo if GT plays like they did against FSU but clean up the int’s and special teams it will be a really good game. GT could have easily hung 30 on FSU if it wasn’t for those mistakes. That’s part of what I think GT has an advantage in, they have a game under their belt and know what to work on. I’m expecting a 38-35 type of game. I think GT try’s to slow the tempo down by running it a lot and being aggressive on first and second down on defense while playing man coverage. I’d expect the same from UCF on defense though.

We may be rusty out of the gate. Go down early but pick it up in 2nd half. We have advantage of watching them on field. They don’t know our tendencies yet. I’m not worried about their secondary. More D Line. When we go 5 wide they won’t have a guy that can cover our 5th option. Plus if DG learned from last year he can tuck and run while DBs are covering their man.

Reactions: Knightro20
We may be rusty out of the gate. Go down early but pick it up in 2nd half. We have advantage of watching them on field. They don’t know our tendencies yet. I’m not worried about their secondary. More D Line. When we go 5 wide they won’t have a guy that can cover our 5th option. Plus if DG learned from last year he can tuck and run while DBs are covering their man.
I wouldn’t go that far to say we won’t have anyone who can cover a 5th WR. Swilling, Sims, and Walton are all pretty much lock down corners, and we have others who are pretty good as well. I’m not sure if swilling will be playing though, he missed the game against FSU and we don’t know why. But then we have carpenter, Thomas, and Showell who all play safety and could start on most any ACC team if not every ACC team. At nickel we have another Thomas and Oliver. So if y’all go 5 wife we will have 5 DB’s on the field. If y’all throw the ball all over GT it’s because we aren’t getting pressure and not because y’all WR’s are just beating us. Like I said Trevor Lawrence threw two picks and didn’t even throw for 200 yards against us last year.

I wouldn’t go that far to say we won’t have anyone who can cover a 5th WR. Swilling, Sims, and Walton are all pretty much lock down corners, and we have others who are pretty good as well. I’m not sure if swilling will be playing though, he missed the game against FSU and we don’t know why. But then we have carpenter, Thomas, and Showell who all play safety and could start on most any ACC team if not every ACC team. At nickel we have another Thomas and Oliver. So if y’all go 5 wife we will have 5 DB’s on the field. If y’all throw the ball all over GT it’s because we aren’t getting pressure and not because y’all WR’s are just beating us. Like I said Trevor Lawrence threw two picks and didn’t even throw for 200 yards against us last year.
Yes it all depends on pressure on QB. No one can cover 5 guys and QB for 7 seconds. If you get in under 4 seconds a lot we won’t beat the secondary. If DG has time to throw he is deadly.

Reactions: Techwreck47
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT