ADVERTISEMENT

Gus Malzhan offensive genius? More like FRAUD.

We’re looking for the magical combination of not an up and coming coordinator who will jump to a big 10 or SEC school after a few years but also someone who is motivated to improve themselves rather than coast for a paycheck. Maybe that’s Gus, but at least with a coordinator (generally) they are going to be busting their ass looking for that jump and the $5 mil a year power job. Maybe things change with the Big 12. What we have now is the guy we beat 4 years ago when he had a team with top 10 talent.
If Tony Elliott was on the board he probably would have been best but our options were Lebby or Gus. And Gus has the reputation to hire a better staff.

Reactions: Yaes
A lot of people look to have longevity like GOL. What comes with it though is not someone that is blazing a trail. GOL was never going to be a hot commodity. His brand of football was not exciting, boosters are not going to pull for him, majority of the time his team was inconsistent and he had a blemish on his personal record that makes it easy for schools to pass on.

For Malzahn and other retreads, it's hard not to see a person
scored a big contract and lost the fight in them. Looking at so many pro athletes that drop off after they score that major contract. Competitive drive can take you far, but once you are set financially for you and your family no matter what, that edge leaves you.

We’re looking for the magical combination of not an up and coming coordinator who will jump to a big 10 or SEC school after a few years but also someone who is motivated to improve themselves rather than coast for a paycheck. Maybe that’s Gus, but at least with a coordinator (generally) they are going to be busting their ass looking for that jump and the $5 mil a year power job. Maybe things change with the Big 12. What we have now is the guy we beat 4 years ago when he had a team with top 10 talent.
I don't always agree with you Jeremy but, in my opinion, you are right on with this issue.

GM's value goes beyond calling plays. I never realized this about the guy but he is really good at connecting with people. Even when he loses recruiting battles or a player transfers, he's still involved with them (not sure if that is legal). The guy has tentacles everywhere in CFB with coaches and players; that was when he was in podunk Alabama. Now the guy is in Orlando, the heart of Florida, with the ability to utilize all the past connection AND build even stronger ones. There will be a point where GM doesn't need to call plays, like Bobby Bowden, but he will be able to build a strong foundation here.

GM's value goes beyond calling plays. I never realized this about the guy but he is really good at connecting with people. Even when he loses recruiting battles or a player transfers, he's still involved with them (not sure if that is legal). The guy has tentacles everywhere in CFB with coaches and players; that was when he was in podunk Alabama. Now the guy is in Orlando, the heart of Florida, with the ability to utilize all the past connection AND build even stronger ones. There will be a point where GM doesn't need to call plays, like Bobby Bowden, but he will be able to build a strong foundation here.
LMAO!

Do not be fooled. Gus is the biggest fraud of a head coach in the NCAA. He will fall backwards into a big win, or even produce a masterpiece of a gameplan/playcalling performance to beat a better team (2017 Iron Bowl). Do not be fooled. He is 7-5, and 7-5 is Gus. He will fail when it matters most. He always does.
No way his bigger than Willie T. Unless your talking payoffs to leave a program.

Auburn has seen a much better offense since Gus left. Biggest problem is our offensive line which Gus failed to recruit well at for years. Also our wide receivers can’t catch and we’re Gus guy. But I am sure he has fixed a lot of his issues since his time at auburn

Auburn has seen a much better offense since Gus left. Biggest problem is our offensive line which Gus failed to recruit well at for years. Also our wide receivers can’t catch and we’re Gus guy. But I am sure he has fixed a lot of his issues since his time at auburn
In 2019 offense was ranked #64.
In 2020 offense was ranked #78
In 2021 offense is currently ranked #30.

Good jump. Let’s see how they finish. Sample size in 2021 right now is 6 games, with three of those games being Akron, Alabama State and Georgia State….all at home.

Harsin seems like a solid coach.

Road game? Sorry, I don't follow.
I was just pointing out Coastal lost a road game. Going undefeated is rare. Teams lose a lot more on the road than at home. Thus the reason teams like Bama, Michigan, Ohio State, etc…. do anything possible to not play true road games.

I was just pointing out Coastal lost a road game. Going undefeated is rare. Teams lose a lot more on the road than at home. Thus the reason teams like Bama, Michigan, Ohio State, etc…. do anything possible to not play true road games.
Thanks for the clarification.

Who here is saying we should go undefeated every year? Literally no UCF fan thinks that’s actually possible and there’s a small percentage who lump anyone who criticizes a coach into that category. There’s a big gap between “go undefeated every season” and what GM is showing us. Almost every fan would agree we should/could be doing better with the talent we have.
I don’t know what talent you’re referring to honestly. All of our talent is hurt and has been out. We lost one of the best QBs in college football, a super talented WR, 3 of our best RBs are out, starting a true freshman QB who can’t throw downfield. Do you think your game plan would change drastically if you were the coach with losing all of that? Losing DG alone would cripple any team’s game plan not OU, OH St or AL.

We have very talented players with not much talented depth, which we are seeing since 1st half of Louisville game when our starters started getting knocked out. Our defense and the word “talent” in a sentence is like oil and water. Sure we have a few very talented defensive players, but very thin in depth and way too young in the DB positions, and that’s Huepel recruiting deficiencies we are seeing.

Gus had the offense looking great until Bowser, Jaylon and DG got hurt. My only gripe with Gus is playing Keene. Navarro, Jones, Gatewood have all looked better when played in the past. If the defense was only mediocre we are undefeated this season.

I don’t know what talent you’re referring to honestly. All of our talent is hurt and has been out. We lost one of the best QBs in college football, a super talented WR, 3 of our best RBs are out, starting a true freshman QB who can’t throw downfield. Do you think your game plan would change drastically if you were the coach with losing all of that? Losing DG alone would cripple any team’s game plan not OU, OH St or AL.

We have very talented players with not much talented depth, which we are seeing since 1st half of Louisville game when our starters started getting knocked out. Our defense and the word “talent” in a sentence is like oil and water. Sure we have a few very talented defensive players, but very thin in depth and way too young in the DB positions, and that’s Huepel recruiting deficiencies we are seeing.

Gus had the offense looking great until Bowser, Jaylon and DG got hurt. My only gripe with Gus is playing Keene. Navarro, Jones, Gatewood have all looked better when played in the past. If the defense was only mediocre we are undefeated this season.
5-1. No way we win that game at Cincy.

Dabo….struggling again without the #1 QB in college football. I thought he could just “coach harder” and get them to win.

I see you guys have entered into the "Gus is giving up some control of the playcalling" part of his tenure. You've already experienced the maddening losses with the amazing wins.

Harsin sucked balls

I see you guys have entered into the "Gus is giving up some control of the playcalling" part of his tenure. You've already experienced the maddening losses with the amazing wins.

Harsin sucked balls
Auburn is 17-22 since Gus Malzahn.

Auburn was 68-35 with Gus Malzahn.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Last edited:
You really neeeeeeeeed to understand that simply because the next HC was the worst in existence, doesn't mean the previous one is the best to have existed. If you're actually using that as a measure, Gus is mediocre at best at UCF. Now, I don't believe that, but he has proven nothing so far. This offensive genius couldn't even win the AAC, that says a ton. I really believe Houston was wrong canning their coach, don't know much about it, after just 1 year in a P5 conference, so I'd give him a break with this last year. My favorite game was Oklahoma- it showed we could compete at this level. My biggest disappointment was Baylor, which showed the coaches couldn't win at this level. The dumbest thing in the universe was giving the HC a raise after the dumbest lost in our history. Here's hoping our AD is intelligent enough to fire him if that happens again. 2 things I know--- we did the best in our history in recruiting.... I'm betting we did pretty well in the portal... but I have no idea if we have a coaching staff that knows 2024 football. I've heard too much about some useless crap 2010 team. Guess what, it ain't 2011. We'll soon be getting in recruits that weren't even born when our HC, and some staff, was last of any value. He's really going to try now, said our front page... so he sure as heck should do better than last year. We've had decades of--- 'we were just a few points from winning most of the games." --- Heard that crap for years. If he's really going to try this year, that doesn't happen anymore. (PS, just angry hysteria, but I'm tired of the "we're so close" jargon. It really means-- we lost. Personally, I'd give him at most 2 more years, but I'm a bit old school where I let a guy form the team he wants, and now he gets a P5 team, but he better prove it, because I know ex-UCF HCs that could.)

You really neeeeeeeeed to understand that simply because the next HC was the worst in existence, doesn't mean the previous one is the best to have existed. If you're actually using that as a measure, Gus is mediocre at best at UCF. Now, I don't believe that, but he has proven nothing so far. This offensive genius couldn't even win the AAC, that says a ton. I really believe Houston was wrong canning their coach, don't know much about it, after just 1 year in a P5 conference, so I'd give him a break with this last year. My favorite game was Oklahoma- it showed we could compete at this level. My biggest disappointment was Baylor, which showed the coaches couldn't win at this level. The dumbest thing in the universe was giving the HC a raise after the dumbest lost in our history. Here's hoping our AD is intelligent enough to fire him if that happens again. 2 things I know--- we did the best in our history in recruiting.... I'm betting we did pretty well in the portal... but I have no idea if we have a coaching staff that knows 2024 football. I've heard too much about some useless crap 2010 team. Guess what, it ain't 2011. We'll soon be getting in recruits that weren't even born when our HC, and some staff, was last of any value. He's really going to try now, said our front page... so he sure as heck should do better than last year. We've had decades of--- 'we were just a few points from winning most of the games." --- Heard that crap for years. If he's really going to try this year, that doesn't happen anymore. (PS, just angry hysteria, but I'm tired of the "we're so close" jargon. It really means-- we lost. Personally, I'd give him at most 2 more years, but I'm a bit old school where I let a guy form the team he wants, and now he gets a P5 team, but he better prove it, because I know ex-UCF HCs that could.)
Dana should have been fired a couple years ago. They haven’t been good at all with him and they were pretty good to great before him. He was decent at WVU.

Reactions: connerito

Harsin sucked balls
Well, the wins came with Gus at the helm. Hard to argue with those.

The late losses were pretty ugly when he wasn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT