ADVERTISEMENT

Heupel Defenders

Without MM last year, UCF probably would have had 3 or 4 losses. He's a once in a generation player that can cover up a lot of deficiencies.
If we used walk-on QBs since 2004 we probably would have a few more losses. Just guessing.

Once in a generation?
blake-bortles-blog.jpg

Last edited:
Fair enough. You can feel free to lose your shit over three games.

I would have no problem in agreeing to disagree if you kept things in reasonable perspective........It is glaringly obvious that you don't understand the distinction between objective criticism and losing ones shit.......most of the knowledgeable fans on this board choose to objectively discuss the topic de jour while some choose to view things through Black and Gold spectacles and treat those who choose to criticize as traitors.......but hey thats what keeps things interesting around here.......

I would have no problem in agreeing to disagree if you kept things in reasonable perspective........It is glaringly obvious that you don't understand the distinction between objective criticism and losing ones shit.......most of the knowledgeable fans on this board choose to objectively discuss the topic de jour while some choose to view things through Black and Gold spectacles and treat those who choose to criticize as traitors.......but hey thats what keeps things interesting around here.......
At the end of the day, we're all rooting for the same team. People are entitled to have different ideas of the best way to get there.

I'm ok agreeing to disagree whether Heupel deserves more time. That doesn't make anyone a traitor that disagrees. I understand the points. CFB is different than it was, we can tell much earlier than we used whether a coach will get you where you want to go. I just don't think we've hit that point yet.

Reactions: Colonel Mortimer
Problem is, despite opportunities in my opinion, he’s just not using them enough. So. we have no idea
Fair enough, more plays involving Wimbush and Mack helped over Houston. Why not use them last night? Perhaps he underestimated Tulsa. I think he needs to remind himself of 1-0.
He also needed a historian like Brandon to remind them they have never won at Tulsa. Interesting how that storyline didnt make on TV if I recall.

Wrong guy:

1) need a HEAD coach focused on managing everyone

2) hire an offensive coordinator who can devote 100% of their time designing creative plays and adjusting to the defensive scheme

3A) need a coach who knows how to utilize the talent. Running 165lb backs up the middle is obviously in-effective and getting people hurt.

B) use speed advantage to the outside or crossing routes over the middle. In love the tight end vs linebacker advantage

4) CANT be stubborn and unwilling to adjust when things aren’t working.

I could make a list of the perfect wife, but in the end nobody is perfect and you get good and bad with everyone. So to say what we "need" is what you will get is not realistic. JH is as good as we are likely to get anytime in the near future and he is pretty good

I could make a list of the perfect wife, but in the end nobody is perfect and you get good and bad with everyone. So to say what we "need" is what you will get is not realistic. JH is as good as we are likely to get anytime in the near future and he is pretty good
Pretty good doesn’t sound like a great vote of confidence. He just lost to a 2 win AAC team

Since a lot of you are so obsessed with Nebraska for some reason, especially ucfmikes. I'll put this in terms maybe you'll understand. You wanna know how you turn UCF into what Nebraska is today? You fire a coach for a 9 or 10 win season shortly after a run to the national championship game. (or in UCF's case, undefeated regular season) That kind of thing is super-attractive to future Head Coaching candidates, and certainly doesn't lead to an endless carousel of fired coaches.

Since a lot of you are so obsessed with Nebraska for some reason, especially ucfmikes. I'll put this in terms maybe you'll understand. You wanna know how you turn UCF into what Nebraska is today? You fire a coach for a 9 or 10 win season shortly after a run to the national championship game. (or in UCF's case, undefeated regular season) That kind of thing is super-attractive to future Head Coaching candidates, and certainly doesn't lead to an endless carousel of fired coaches.
I don’t care about NGEbraska Colonel. We are trending downward and you just fail to see it. You’re blind to it and ignore it

Nobody is talking about firing Heupel except for you.

Future head coaches don’t give a crap. How many coaches turn down a promotional head coaching job for millions That’s a fallacy

Partly true. We also fired a guy who won 9 or 10 games for 8 years in a row and replaced him with a career .500 record. I'd say that has more to do with where Nebraska is right now than what happened 16 years ago.

I don’t care about NGEbraska Colonel. We are trending downward and you just fail to see it. You’re blind to it and ignore it

Nobody is talking about firing Heupel except for you.

Future head coaches don’t give a crap. How many coaches turn down a promotional head coaching job for millions That’s a fallacy

Urban meyer said he would have been interested in the Nebraska job until we fired a coach coming off of a 10 win season, so it does happen.

Urban meyer said he would have been interested in the Nebraska job until we fired a coach coming off of a 10 win season, so it does happen.
One time. UCF isn’t ever getting Urban Meyer. Bad example

One time. UCF isn’t ever getting Urban Meyer. Bad example

Well, that same year we had 6 coaches turn us down. Hard to believe that a team 2 years removed from a national title game would be turned down by so many guys if it wasn't because of how the last coach was treated.

Well, that same year we had 6 coaches turn us down. Hard to believe that a team 2 years removed from a national title game would be turned down by so many guys if it wasn't because of how the last coach was treated.
I totally remember that at the time and was quite critical of it. It was ridiculous. Solich had a fine career at Ohio

The circumstances are a little different, but I’m not calling for Heupel to be fired. Not many are. Yet.

I agree the team has digressed from last year, but in reality didn't it almost have to? Unless your are Clemson or Al you cannot maintain perfect seasons without a stream of ready to go 5* recruits waiting in the wings. Ask gator or seminole fan how long it takes to find ONE QB, and yet we have 2-3 ready to go. I will say that conditioning and fitness seems to have regressed under JH very quickly. Did Frost take his strength and conditioning coach with him?

I agree the team has digressed from last year, but in reality didn't it almost have to? Unless your are Clemson or Al you cannot maintain perfect seasons without a stream of ready to go 5* recruits waiting in the wings. Ask gator or seminole fan how long it takes to find ONE QB, and yet we have 2-3 ready to go. I will say that conditioning and fitness seems to have regressed under JH very quickly. Did Frost take his strength and conditioning coach with him?
He took everyone.

Reactions: Islandbro-rior
I totally remember that at the time and was quite critical of it. It was ridiculous. Solich had a fine career at Ohio

The circumstances are a little different, but I’m not calling for Heupel to be fired. Not many are. Yet.

So what happens to the fanbase if this steamrolls and UCF ends up 7-6? Tulane is pretty good and it's on the road, USF is a rivalry game so that can always make things interesting, and bowl games are almost always a toss up. Would it go from the natives being restless to calls for staff changes? Would CJH be on the hot seat going into next season?

So what happens to the fanbase if this steamrolls and UCF ends up 7-6? Tulane is pretty good and it's on the road, USF is a rivalry game so that can always make things interesting, and bowl games are almost always a toss up. Would it go from the natives being restless to calls for staff changes? Would CJH be on the hot seat going into next season?

7-6 would put a lot of pressure on him for 2020, definitely. 7-6 with this roster against this schedule is very, very bad.

Doubt it. I don’t see us losing both games. I really don’t

Reactions: JAFFX2
Doubt it. I don’t see us losing both games. I really don’t
Neither do I, but it's become a real possibility. Next year you could be looking at losing your 2 most dynamic players on offense and MM returning is no better than 50/50. Could be an interesting ride for the next 13 months.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Neither do I, but it's become a real possibility. Next year you could be looking at losing your 2 most dynamic players on offense and MM returning is no better than 50/50. Could be an interesting ride for the next 13 months.
I don’t think losing to USF would make even the most pro-Heupel fans happy. That’s like rock bottom or one step up from 0-12

Reactions: AAC6800
I had decided to renew my tickets this year but I don't think I can justify it. I'm in the midwest so I can only make it to one or two games per year and the price increase makes me financially uncomfortable. My three tickets are over $2100 now. I've been reselling my tickets, but 1 hour before the Houston game I had to drop my tickets in section 128 to $20 per seat to get anything for them. I think I'd rather be able to spend $2100 on a vacation.

Yes. He took everything if it wasn’t screwed into the ground.

I'm that guy! One of the few, alas! But I get why some would say its knee jerk.

I'm that guy! One of the few, alas! But I get why some would say its knee jerk.
Let’s let this year play out. We win out and we are 10-3. Worse case 8-5

Next year, we will be expecting AT LEAST an Eastern division title. Anything less, unless there is a major QB injury, he will be very very heavily scrutinized

Let’s let this year play out. We win out and we are 10-3. Worse case 8-5

Next year, we will be expecting AT LEAST an Eastern division title. Anything less, unless there is a major QB injury, he will be very very heavily scrutinized
Trust me I'm really trying. I would bet though best case is 9-4. And if I'm wrong and we end up 10-3 I'm still not convinced. It's a downward trend. The only tough day was yesterday! and it seems like heup is determined for last week. Pains me to see what I know is before us with him at the helm, but I do agree it has to be played out, and always... GO KNIGHTS CHARGE ON!!

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Trust me I'm really trying. I would bet though best case is 9-4. And if I'm wrong and we end up 10-3 I'm still not convinced. It's a downward trend. The only tough day was yesterday! and it seems like heup is determined for last week. Pains me to see what I know is before us with him at the helm, but I do agree it has to be played out, and always... GO KNIGHTS CHARGE ON!!
Heupel will be held accountable and will HAVE to make adjustments. He has 2 weeks. The penalties are inexcusable and fixable. That’s on him and his staff. That’s 2 wins right there. Maybe 3. Painful to think about THAT.

Yesterday was tough, but I watched the LSU vs Alabama game which was entertaining. Lot’s of stuff going on around Central Florida on an amazing Sunday to take your mind off of it.

Several games on next weekend.

Go Knights! Charge on!

I go back and forth. He's using players that were recruited for an option offense and they don't completely fit. The RBs are too small for what he does and the OL Is just not there right now. They have problems picking out where the rush is coming from. DG with a clean pocket and a working run game is different than what we saw last night. To me it all depends on how the OL is creating holes and pass blocking.

100% agree except we will never have a top 5 OL. So Heupl needs to get more creative with the playbook.

Legitimately worried we wont beast USF this year.

His/our 38 second offense it is feast or famine.
The feasting is fun bit the famine is very painful to watch.

Also we need ~80% of the roster to be on D since they play 50mins a game.

Reactions: GoKnights2003
I'm late but while I'm concerned I'm not ready to throw in the towel. I think the ability to have the team focused last year after the turmoil of losing every staff member should count for something. A lot of that success was Milton but it's still hard to do.

Tulsa game was inexcusable but they are a competent kicker away from beating Cincinnati, Memphis and SMU so their record is deceiving and we've some how never won at Tulsa. I'm not sure Heupel will be the guy long term and he'd better get more creative but it's still too early in my opinion. They need to figure out something with the offensive line ASAP.

I give credit to Heupel for being a stand up coach though. If anyone can share his AAC interview he talks about what he's responsible for.

Reactions: GoKnights2003
Just look at the past history and you know the answer to that question. I think we are already seeing a drop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT