ADVERTISEMENT

Hottest June in the recorded history of planet Earth.

Howabout data on the last 5,10, and 20 years chief?

So, we and I have an obligation to lead the charge from something that happened 100,200 and 250 years ago? Yeah sure

Oh. and i’m sure there was so much accurate data on this collected in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Additionally, you do realize that we most likely HAVE already been doing more than any other country, so I’m not sure of your point

Are you referring to the deal that we pulled out of?

Chief? What's your deal?

My simple point is that the emissions from our industrial revolution are still having an impact and even though we continue to take steps in the right direction we still have an outsized share of whats already in the atmosphere due to our activity over the last cpl of centuries. That carbon doesn't just disappear just bc it happened during our grandparents time. Jesus man it was interesting just seeing it in that context. I understand we're doing more than most. Maybe that's bc others also recognize our leadership role in this?Smh not really understanding what you take exception to.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Katrina was a 3 at land fall with 123 mph winds, hurricane Rita was also a cat 3 with 115 wind speed at land fall.
They are saying that Katrina was possibly even a category 4, but some land win gauges were broken. Rita was at least a 3. Both were MUCH stronger than that before landfall.
Not sure how this all relates to much of anything since New Orleans and areas affected by hurricane Rita have been around for 200-300 years at least, but BOTH hit in the last 10-15 years.

Where is the documentation of ANY HURRICANES HITTING THIS AREA WITH SUCH INTENSITY WITHIN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OR TIME IN HISTORY?

They are saying that Katrina was possibly even a category 4, but some land win gauges were broken. Rita was at least a 3. Both were MUCH stronger than that before landfall.
Not sure how this all relates to much of anything since New Orleans and areas affected by hurricane Rita have been around for 200-300 years at least, but BOTH hit in the last 10-15 years.

Where is the documentation of ANY HURRICANES HITTING THIS AREA WITH SUCH INTENSITY WITHIN SUCH A SHORT PERIOD OR TIME IN HISTORY?
Had the same thing ever happened before or happened since? That was just a crazy bad coincidence that both hit in the same area just days apart.

Chief? What's your deal?

My simple point is that the emissions from our industrial revolution are still having an impact and even though we continue to take steps in the right direction we still have an outsized share of whats already in the atmosphere due to our activity over the last cpl of centuries. That carbon doesn't just disappear just bc it happened during our grandparents time. Jesus man it was interesting just seeing it in that context. I understand we're doing more than most. Maybe that's bc others also recognize our leadership role in this?Smh not really understanding what you take exception to.
I take exception that we, the United States, have to once again show the moral and ethical obligation to save the world from emissions just because we haven’t been living in the Stone Age since 1750. Now China, Russia and India are going crazy in industrialization and saying Fukc this in regards to trying to do anything about the environment.

Is this not how it is? China doesn’t give a crap

It just looked like the chart portrays the USA as the bad guy in this problem

Last edited:
Had the same thing ever happened before or happened since? That was just a crazy bad coincidence that both hit in the same area just days apart.
Ok cool. You’re going with the coincidence theory.

I’m going with the it’s very suspicious and backed up by global warming and proven increases in temperature

Reactions: DaShuckster
Katrina was a 3 at land fall with 123 mph winds, hurricane Rita was also a cat 3 with 115 wind speed at land fall.
Ok. I stand corrected. At landfall, they appear to have weakened somewhat.

So.., what you’re saying is that past hurricanes were as strong and weakened prior to landfall, but we didn’t have the technology to know this.

However, wouldn’t past similar hurricanes have been more devastating without the warning systems present today. More loss of lives, etc.?

Why didn’t that happen in the 1800’s and 1900’s?

Just a coincidence?

Ok. I stand corrected. At landfall, they appear to have weakened somewhat.

So.., what you’re saying is that past hurricanes were as strong and weakened prior to landfall, but we didn’t have the technology to know this.

However, wouldn’t past similar hurricanes have been more devastating without the warning systems present today. More loss of lives, etc.?

Why didn’t that happen in the 1800’s and 1900’s?

Just a coincidence?

Galveston and Okeechobee were pretty devastating and that was with much lower populations than we have today. The fact of the matter is that more areas of the coastlines have far larger populations than they did dozens or hundreds of years ago so it stands to reason that a similar hurricane today would kill more people than one in 1902. Loss of life or economic damage is a poor metric to use when looking at how powerful a hurricane is.

Galveston and Okeechobee were pretty devastating and that was with much lower populations than we have today. The fact of the matter is that more areas of the coastlines have far larger populations than they did dozens or hundreds of years ago so it stands to reason that a similar hurricane today would kill more people than one in 1902. Loss of life or economic damage is a poor metric to use when looking at how powerful a hurricane is.
True, but what are the years of those hurricanes?
1900 and 1928?

How far apart were they geographically? 500-1000 miles?

Geez, we had 4 major hurricanes in a matter of weeks in 2004. All within a few hundred miles

2 in 2005.

Several last year

True, but what are the years of those hurricanes? How far apart were they geographically?

Geez, we had 4 major hurricanes in a matter of weeks in 2004. All within a few hundred miles

2 in 2005.

Several last year
Yeah, and few of consequence for about 10 years in between. To me, the jury is still out on this. Do we go back to Andrew and say "that was a result of global warming?", Or did it just start with Katrina? It's clear that hurricanes in general are increasingly more common but the magnitude of them is probably no different than it ever was. Until they have to come up with a Cat6 designation I'll still be skeptical.

Yeah, and few of consequence for about 10 years in between. To me, the jury is still out on this. Do we go back to Andrew and say "that was a result of global warming?", Or did it just start with Katrina? It's clear that hurricanes in general are increasingly more common but the magnitude of them is probably no different than it ever was. Until they have to come up with a Cat6 designation I'll still be skeptical.
Cat 6? I think hurricanes have limitations unless the ocean was boiling. Perfect storm is probably about 200 mph

Cat 6? I think hurricanes have limitations unless the ocean was boiling. Perfect storm is probably about 200 mph
Patricia apparently hit 215. Man, that is absolutely insane. I was caught in a straight-line windstorm in 1993 trying to walk home and that had 130 mph winds. My friends and I were walking into it and practically had to be at about a 45 degree angle just to keep from getting blown backwards. I can't imagine 215 mph winds.

Patricia apparently hit 215. Man, that is absolutely insane. I was caught in a straight-line windstorm in 1993 trying to walk home and that had 130 mph winds. My friends and I were walking into it and practically had to be at about a 45 degree angle just to keep from getting blown backwards. I can't imagine 215 mph winds.
I wasn’t aware of 215 MPH wins in any hurricane. Possibly a quick gust, but not sustained winds. That’s nuts!

I peed into a 30 MPH wind once as dare when I was shitfaced drunk in college. You know the results, but I got $20

I better. :)In all my years on this earth (Florida and Long Island). I’ve been hit by about 10-15. Possibly more. It’s been a way of life
Maybe it's the landlubber in me, but I've always been fascinated by hurricanes.

Sometime when I'm back in Florida, I'd gladly buy you a beer or two for a chat about your personal experiences with them.

But you'd have to swear to God you'll refrain from bringing up your favorite President. ;)

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Maybe it's the landlubber in me, but I've always been fascinated by hurricanes.

Sometime when I'm back in Florida, I'd gladly buy you a beer or two for a chat about your personal experiences with them.

But you'd have to swear to God you'll refrain from bringing up your favorite President. ;)
Deal! I have some REALLY COOL stories to share, but in all honesty, hurricanes are a lot more “fun”and fascinating as an apartment renter than a homeowner.

Unfortunately, I’ve experienced a few on the above list (and many more in the top 50), but not at maximum strength in the top 10

Deal! I have some REALLY COOL stories to share, but in all honesty, hurricanes are a lot more “fun”and fascinating as an apartment renter than a homeowner.

Unfortunately, I’ve experienced a few on the above list (and many more in the top 50), but not at maximum strength in the top 10

Well I'm going to reverse what Shuckster said and say that if you ever find yourself in Nebraska the same offer is there. Hell, maybe all 3 of us could have a beer and then you and I can make him cry himself to sleep like we do here, only it could be in person.

I have some REALLY COOL stories to share, but in all honesty, hurricanes are a lot more “fun”and fascinating as an apartment renter than a homeowner.
My lone Hurricane story took place in August in the mid-90s when our family still lived in Virginia. My wife's brother and his wife flew down from Minnesota and we were scheduled for a beach week on the Outer Banks in North Carolina. But as we prepare to drive there, a hurricane was reported heading for it so we changed plans and stayed in Virginia Beach.

But the storm was still tracking up North to Virginia Beach once we got there. But when we listened to the local weather reports we were assured the radar was tracking the storm to turn east before making it to Virginia Beach. But mid-afternoon we learned that Dan Rather and his CBS crew were staying in our hotel. When we turned on CBS News early that evening, the announcer said Dan was reporting from Virginia Beach--and then showed Dan and his trusty microphone standing on the beach outside our hotel. Dan breathlessly reported that Virginia Beach was bracing for Hurricane Felix (or Fred or something.) I looked at Mrs Shuckster and said, "Wait a sec...weren't we just reassured the storm is missing us?!??!" Of course, the hurricane had turned east but I guess that wasn't dramatic enough for Dan and his CBS Evening News report.

Looking back, I guess this was an early example of Fake News. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ucfmikes
My lone Hurricane story took place in August in the mid-90s when our family still lived in Virginia. My wife's brother and his wife flew down from Minnesota and we were scheduled for a beach week on the Outer Banks in North Carolina. But as we prepare to drive there, a hurricane was reported heading for it so we changed plans and stayed in Virginia Beach.

But the storm was still tracking up North to Virginia Beach once we got there. But when we listened to the local weather reports we were assured the radar was tracking the storm to turn east before making it to Virginia Beach. But mid-afternoon we learned that Dan Rather and his CBS crew were staying in our hotel. When we turned on CBS News early that evening, the announcer said Dan was reporting from Virginia Beach--and then showed Dan and his trusty microphone standing on the beach outside our hotel. Dan breathlessly reported that Virginia Beach was bracing for Hurricane Felix (or Fred or something.) I looked at Mrs Shuckster and said, "Wait a sec...weren't we just reassured the storm is missing us?!??!" Of course, the hurricane had turned east but I guess that wasn't dramatic enough for Dan and his CBS Evening News report.

Looking back, I guess this was an early example of Fake News. ;)
In your years out here, have you ever had any experiences with tornadoes?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT