ADVERTISEMENT

I need a Spring Game primer

Kobe Hudson throws it 64 yards in skills challenge. Holy shhh. Didn't he play a little QB or something in High school?

Reactions: tjb74 and PhDee
I don’t know how anyone can talk trash on this guy, especially calling him “selfish”. Dude is a competitor, hard worker and a great teammate from all accounts. Unbelievably hard to do what he’s doing, crazy hard. Super talented and gifted athlete. I expect a big jump this year with a better offensive play calling.

I don’t know how anyone can talk trash on this guy, especially calling him “selfish”. Dude is a competitor, hard worker and a great teammate from all accounts. Unbelievably hard to do what he’s doing, crazy hard. Super talented and gifted athlete. I expect a big jump this year with a better offensive play calling.

I agree, it speaks highly of him as an athlete that you can do what he’s been doing. The baseball thing is used a crutch by the fans whenever he has a bad (football) game, but honestly I don’t think him playing baseball affects whether he throws a pick or not.

Reactions: U C to the F
I agree, it speaks highly of him as an athlete that you can do what he’s been doing. The baseball thing is used a crutch by the fans whenever he has a bad (football) game, but honestly I don’t think him playing baseball affects whether he throws a pick or not.
The Sons of UCF had Dee Brown on a couple years ago discussing the hardships of playing both football and baseball (think he was the last one to do it I can recall). This isn’t Pop Warner and little league man, it’s elite level stuff. Two very different sports that overlap, it’s just crazy the level of talent needed to do both and I respect the hell out of anyone that can do it.

Btw Dee Brown, a UCF Hall of Fame Inductee, for new UCF baseball coach, sign me up. Good dude with a ton of baseball knowledge and experience. Would walk circles around Greg Lovelady in every single aspect.

Reactions: All Knight
#23 xfer running back from Florida looks good! Castellanos threw too many into double coverage but threw a beautiful touchdown. Plumlee threw well. Castellanos is fast as sht. Offensive line will decide our success I believe. Timmy from usf looked good but they limited him. Tall, fast, strong

Reactions: All Knight
I was very underwhelmed by the Spring Game. It just seemed really short (only playing one half). The number of snaps probably ends up around the same as playing a four quarter game with the format the way it was (one team only offense, one team only defense, ball never switches sides).

Depth seemed to be a little thin in this particular game with so many guys out, so maybe that’s why they didn’t spilt offense/defense into two separate teams, rather they just kept rotating guys in and out. I may have missed a few, but from my count T. Grable, A. Medley, R. Barber, J. Johnson, Q. Bullard, D. Lester, and J. Ware weren’t dressed for whatever reason (I saw Barber had some sort of cast/wrap on his arm).

And there were a ton of other guys that were dressed but didn’t seem to play many snaps at all. I was looking forward to seeing some of the new guys, but didn’t see many reps/plays or impact from McClain, Whittemore, J. Walker, or J. Wilson whatsoever. Without the ball switching sides, things were moving fast and just seemed a little choppy.

I would say WR Dionte Marks was probably one of the standouts of the night. UF transfer finally looks healthy for UCF. Size, speed, it’s all there. Looks like he may have worked his way into the two-deep.

Regarding spring game experience:
1. Went to get food, it was cash only. This is 2023, get with the program. Glad they did have food and drink available.
2. Immediately ran into Brandon Marshall while waking in. My friend got a pic with him. That was dope.
3. The lack of a cut through by the tower and having to walk completely around the stadium to get to the other side of the tower is ridiculous. They need a solution for that.
4. I liked the format cause normally the action is kinda boring with two halves of scrimmaging.
5. Def more of a marketing vibe this year I feel like.
6. If the passing offense shown yesterday is anything that we'll see sitting a real game we're in trouble.
7. Same as everybody else in questioning why we can't have game streamed.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I was very underwhelmed by the Spring Game. It just seemed really short (only playing one half). The number of snaps probably ends up around the same as playing a four quarter game with the format the way it was (one team only offense, one team only defense, ball never switches sides).

Depth seemed to be a little thin in this particular game with so many guys out, so maybe that’s why they didn’t spilt offense/defense into two separate teams, rather they just kept rotating guys in and out. I may have missed a few, but from my count T. Grable, A. Medley, R. Barber, J. Johnson, Q. Bullard, D. Lester, and J. Ware weren’t dressed for whatever reason (I saw Barber had some sort of cast/wrap on his arm).

And there were a ton of other guys that were dressed but didn’t seem to play many snaps at all. I was looking forward to seeing some of the new guys, but didn’t see many reps/plays or impact from McClain, Whittemore, J. Walker, or J. Wilson whatsoever. Without the ball switching sides, things were moving fast and just seemed a little choppy.

I would say WR Dionte Marks was probably one of the standouts of the night. UF transfer finally looks healthy for UCF. Size, speed, it’s all there. Looks like he may have worked his way into the two-deep.

Excellent takes.

I think everything you saw (and I heard) was by design. I am not saying "trust the coaches," but I think they genuinely like where the program is.

I also agree on Marks. His name was mentioned during Spring camp interviews as really showing improvement, but I didn't put much stock in it.

Either he has improved substantially and/or he simply fits this scheme better than others (Jaylon Griffin, Arari Johnson) who have backslid.

Qbs weren't allowed to run nor be tackled. Come on...It's a spring game. You can't take anything away from it other than it looked like the players and coaches were having fun with it.

I watched someone's live stream on Facebook and listened to Marc Daniels on the radio. I enjoyed it.

The 2nd half format was fun for the fans. I've attended spring games in the past and it is typically very boring and I left in the 2nd quarter. I vowed never to go to another spring game due to it (Thanks O'leary) but with last night's format I may have to go to next year game if my schedule allows it. They should do more fan friendly stuff like they did last night. I applaud them for thinking outside the box and making it fun.

The fb live vid cut off right before the final pegasus race. I need to see that as Marc Daniels was really laughing at it.

go Knights...now the long grueling off season summer begins.

and transfer portal opens up today. Oh boy...

Qbs weren't allowed to run nor be tackled. Come on...It's a spring game. You can't take anything away from it other than it looked like the players and coaches were having fun with it.
I’m sorry, but that’s kind of a ridiculous statement. Don’t overreact to Spring Games, sure. I’m definitely with that. Can’t get too mad, fans were kicking extra points. It is what it is.

But I would have to push back on your statement that “you can’t take anything away” from a Spring Game. Of course you can…who’s getting reps? Who looks bigger? Stronger? Improved/more comfortable with the scheme. Any position changes? There’s a lot to take away. Coaches wouldn’t have Spring Games if they weren’t worthwhile.

For one, I was trying to pay attention to how many reps/snaps guys were getting. The transfer portal opens today, and based off of snaps/opportunity I saw in that game yesterday, I can think of one former local QB in particular that may be inclined to look for other opportunities.

For those worried about Harvey transferring… he was one of the guys up at the post game presser, talking about his upcoming season. Still could happen that he’s transferring, but seemed to be pretty solid on his upcoming season for the Knights

Reactions: PhDee and tjb74
Thanks! I'm an expert on making ridiculous statements. I'm a UCF fan and it's April. I reserve the right to make more ridiculous statements. I really can't make any assumptions after watching a glorified scripted practice. Neither should you. Just a tip. Go Knights!

Ok I will bite. Where is all this RJ Harvey is transferring smoke coming from? Where is he going? Georgia Tech? He has waited his turn and will be the featured back this year at UCF.

I am more worried about Ed Collins transferring. He and Paul Rubelt will be the first guys off the bench this year at tackle.

Grable at LT, Marshall at LG, IDK at center, Pauole at RG, and Kight at RT give UCF a chance to be very successful offensively next year.

I still would like UCF to pursue a guy like Matthew Wykoff, who started at center for Texas A&M last year, but is capable of starting at any position on the offensive line for UCF.

I’m sorry, but that’s kind of a ridiculous statement. Don’t overreact to Spring Games, sure. I’m definitely with that. Can’t get too mad, fans were kicking extra points. It is what it is.

But I would have to push back on your statement that “you can’t take anything away” from a Spring Game. Of course you can…who’s getting reps? Who looks bigger? Stronger? Improved/more comfortable with the scheme. Any position changes? There’s a lot to take away. Coaches wouldn’t have Spring Games if they weren’t worthwhile.

For one, I was trying to pay attention to how many reps/snaps guys were getting. The transfer portal opens today, and based off of snaps/opportunity I saw in that game yesterday, I can think of one former local QB in particular that may be inclined to look for other opportunities.
from what I heard of from the practices I am disappointed that Timmy didn’t get more snaps…not enough to put up a drive once Plumlee showed up. Not saying there is an agenda but… everyone can praise his 2 sport dream but if the coaches are not honest about an open competition it isn’t fair to the other 2 .

from what I heard of from the practices I am disappointed that Timmy didn’t get more snaps…not enough to put up a drive once Plumlee showed up. Not saying there is an agenda but… everyone can praise his 2 sport dream but if the coaches are not honest about an open competition it isn’t fair to the other 2 .
Me too. I’m sure the staff would love for JRP and TC to push each other. At least publicly it’s an open competition between those two for now. But it’s hard to make an argument than McClain is realistically in the picture. Very limited reps/snaps in the Spring Game. When Plumlee showed up, McClain’s day was pretty much done. That last drive, they didn’t even let him throw (four consecutive handoffs to a walk-on RB). I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he goes to the portal (again). Certainly wouldn’t blame him. Rizk is on his way to campus too.

Regarding spring game experience:
1. Went to get food, it was cash only. This is 2023, get with the program. Glad they did have food and drink available.
2. Immediately ran into Brandon Marshall while waking in. My friend got a pic with him. That was dope.
3. The lack of a cut through by the tower and having to walk completely around the stadium to get to the other side of the tower is ridiculous. They need a solution for that.
4. I liked the format cause normally the action is kinda boring with two halves of scrimmaging.
5. Def more of a marketing vibe this year I feel like.
6. If the passing offense shown yesterday is anything that we'll see sitting a real game we're in trouble.
7. Same as everybody else in questioning why we can't have game streamed.
The reaction and smugness by Marc & a few fans about no streaming complaints is really living in a UCF 24/7 Bubble. Cash only is is ridiculous in 2023. I think fans no longer in Orlando realize how behind UCF’s Gameday operations are. You should be able to buy food and beer with Apple Pay. The Stadium needs a lot of work to upgrade the tech and amenities.

It's becoming more and more like the Plumlee show, with heavy marketing of him playing two sports.

Plumlee's instinct last year was to tuck it and run or seek short routes. Playing a game where he can't run nor can the defense hit him is going to focus on him passing downfield.

I recall last spring everyone gushing over how every QB was airing it out. Wouldn't expect this game to be an indicator that he is going to transition to a downfield passer.

Plumlee's instinct last year was to tuck it and run or seek short routes. Playing a game where he can't run nor can the defense hit him is going to focus on him passing downfield.

I recall last spring everyone gushing over how every QB was airing it out. Wouldn't expect this game to be an indicator that he is going to transition to a downfield passer.
Every loss last year was because the opposing coaches said, "come on Plumlees" run all you want but you must throw to beat us. He couldn't.

yep the self promotion is a little much /ducks
You didn't get the memo? The narrative has switched from shaming to celebrating pride and selfishness.

hello there GIF by Lucifer

Every loss last year was because the opposing coaches said, "come on Plumlees" run all you want but you must throw to beat us. He couldn't.
That wasn't even their mindset. ECU, Navy, Duke all had bottom tier 98th or worse pass defense. Their defensive weakness was never capitalized.

I'm fine with the extra Plumlee promotion because the team morale is better this year. All the Anti-Gus players are out, and what this team has right now is better chemistry vs last year. Every player who left was a Huepel guy: Lee, Brown, Bethune, O'Keefe, DG, Keene, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: muckdawg24
yep the self promotion is a little much /ducks
If the D hadn't been playing mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers in the second quarter, the score wouldn't have been close. The first quarter against the best defenders highlighted the continuing problems with our O. Considering his QB skills, way too much emphasis on Plumlee. Some of us remember how the season ended so this "spring game", even with new faces like Bowman, was a head scratcher.

Doesn't the vibe feel better with this team? I think there was a divide in the locker room last season btw Huepel and Gus players

Reactions: tjb74
If the D hadn't been playing mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers in the second quarter, the score wouldn't have been close. The first quarter against the best defenders highlighted the continuing problems with our O. Considering his QB skills, way too much emphasis on Plumlee. Some of us remember how the season ended so this "spring game", even with new faces like Bowman, was a head scratcher.
Is that truly the case that Plumlee primarily played against backups? Did the offense have success against the starters?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT