ADVERTISEMENT

Is anyone else feeling a bit of Griffin Burnout?

SCKnight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
I think what the brothers accomplished is amazing. They have been great ambassadors for UCF, and seem to be really great people. But lately it seems a bit of overload. Maybe it is just me. Or maybe because they are UCF people the show up on my news feed all the time. I understand they want to cash in on the notoriety while the iron is hot, but it seems like it has stretched a bit thin at this point.

Reactions: The Nation of UCF
I think they're just showing up on your feed too much haha. Maybe you should mix in some Mike Hughes...havent heard much since he went down with that injury. then again I don't follow the players too much after..

i saw them twice in the past few months, one time in a video was posted where they were on one of those morning shows and the other time was some podcast type thing that was posted here. not even close to burnout levels. if you're getting burnt out then you need to reevaluate how you consume information in 2019.

its rare that football players get this much shine, basketball players are famous as long as they live and capitalize off it forever.
Im cool with it, plus you already followed their lives for years before they made the NFL, to the outside world their story is still endearing.

I saw them then other morning in Fox News. I was in a diner and happened to be wearing a UCF hat. I was proud of their story and how they represented the University.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
It is what it is. Those who want to dump on O'Leary will make a big deal about the 'hair' situation. Frankly, I'm more concerned with why O'Leary didn't let one of them play and progress in their lives.

It is what it is. Those who want to dump on O'Leary will make a big deal about the 'hair' situation. Frankly, I'm more concerned with why O'Leary didn't let one of them play and progress in their lives.
I'm old school; there's a lot that can be said in defense of GOL but hey if you want to play the bitch and/or victim it's popular these days and may sell some books.
giphy.gif

Reactions: mattropolis
I'm old school; there's a lot that can be said in defense of GOL but hey if you want to play the bitch and/or victim it's popular these days and may sell some books.
giphy.gif
Remember, I'm considered a GOL 'nuthugger' around here. I apologized for him ... a lot. But not playing Griffin those first 3 years still bothers me.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Remember, I'm considered a GOL 'nuthugger' around here. I apologized for him ... a lot. But not playing Griffin those first 3 years still bothers me.

There are dozens of missed opportunities in the GOL era. Glad that you are finally seeing some.

There are dozens of missed opportunities in the GOL era. Glad that you are finally seeing some.
But what you won't hear about on here is the other side of the coin.....where he gave a kid a shot and they took it and ran with it. Why? Typically coaches and players keep this kind of stuff on the down low because of the close-knit relationships between players and coaches. If you are a coach, manager, CEO, or any position of leadership you have hits or misses, and it is amplified in professional and other high-level sports (such as college football). That's just a part of life. The important takeaway from the Griffin's is that their paths may have been slightly different but they both found ways to persevere and find success.

But what you won't hear about on here is the other side of the coin.....where he gave a kid a shot and they took it and ran with it. Why? Typically coaches and players keep this kind of stuff on the down low because of the close-knit relationships between players and coaches. If you are a coach, manager, CEO, or any position of leadership you have hits or misses, and it is amplified in professional and other high-level sports (such as college football). That's just a part of life. The important takeaway from the Griffin's is that their paths may have been slightly different but they both found ways to persevere and find success.
Nonsense. You hear positive stories about player/coach relationships all the time. SF has more of them in 2 years than GOL in 12.

My guess is that every year in every program there is a player who should be on the field, but for whatever reason does not get his shot. Just part of the business.

Different bosses. Different ways of doing business. Different ways of evaluating people. Different philosophies on life. Different people do things differently. That's all anything is. Just like we see Heupel doing things differently from Frost....he's just doesn't seem so different, although we will find this out as his kids become the core of the team.

No one should take issue with Griffins disclosing a negative interaction with GOL. It's not like a former player who is in obscurity and trying to drum up tabloid money that has a bad relationship with the university.

There is almost a Bud Kilmer/Varsity Blues mentality where many want to ignore the fact that GOL was a curmudgeon and probably had bad interactions with players particular when the program was falling apart in 2015.

Shaquem Griffin has the potential to be a far bigger and better ambassador for the university than GOL ever was.

As for GOL at the helm of the football program, there is no doubt that the team would not have had any of the success had he stayed involved either in a coaching capacity or AD.

Why anyone cares if people have a negative view about GOL is beyond me, you know he sure doesn't.

Nonsense. You hear positive stories about player/coach relationships all the time. SF has more of them in 2 years than GOL in 12.
This Place was a lot more high profile and was a lot more concerned about how he was portrayed than the Statue was. The Statue didn't care and I'm sure that if he knew what Griffin could do at LB, he would have played a lot more.

Leave the Statue alone. He did what he did. UCF is better for it. This Place did what he did. UCF is better for it. Hype is doing what he do. UCF...

Different bosses. Different ways of doing business. Different ways of evaluating people. Different philosophies on life. Different people do things differently. That's all anything is. Just like we see Heupel doing things differently from Frost....he's just doesn't seem so different, although we will find this out as his kids become the core of the team.

Different bosses do things differently but This Place and Track Suit got the same results and faster, unlike the Statue.

Last edited:
Reactions: heat4410
No one should take issue with Griffins disclosing a negative interaction with GOL. It's not like a former player who is in obscurity and trying to drum up tabloid money that has a bad relationship with the university.

There is almost a Bud Kilmer/Varsity Blues mentality where many want to ignore the fact that GOL was a curmudgeon and probably had bad interactions with players particular when the program was falling apart in 2015.

Shaquem Griffin has the potential to be a far bigger and better ambassador for the university than GOL ever was.

As for GOL at the helm of the football program, there is no doubt that the team would not have had any of the success had he stayed involved either in a coaching capacity or AD.

Why anyone cares if people have a negative view about GOL is beyond me, you know he sure doesn't.

I don't care if he takes shots at GOL. Everybody knows who GOL was. He was one of the last of a dying breed. A old timely hard-nosed football coach. You know, a jerk. Writing a book to tell your story of adversity including how GOL would not play you is understandable. Again, I don't think it is an unusual theme in college football. Especially when this was a theme in his life. Feeling degraded because you had to cut your hair in a world full of horrors and injustice comes off as whiny and petty. There was also an interview with them when they were talking about football players getting paid and they complained about a bunch of stuff that college students all have to deal with, while working and taking out loans. I really like their story and think that they are good guys. It just seems that lately there is something all the time.

This Place was a lot more high profile and was a lot more concerned about how he was portrayed than the Statue was. The Statue didn't care and I'm sure that if he knew what Griffin could do at LB, he would have played a lot more.

Leave the Statue alone. He did what he did. UCF is better for it. This Place did what he did. UCF is better for it. Hype is doing what he do. UCF...

I feel like the Statue doing what he did took a looooong time and jeopardized our chance at P5 status. If we had hired a This Place type of coach in 2004 we would have been to 2 BCS bowls by 2007.

I feel like the Statue doing what he did took a looooong time and jeopardized our chance at P5 status. If we had hired a This Place type of coach in 2004 we would have been to 2 BCS bowls by 2007.
Coach K was that kind of coach. While he had discipline problems and was not a great head coach he also did not have the resources that GOL got. He had no leverage to ask for the resources. GOL came in with a recognized name which gave us some much needed cred and part of his demands was to invest in the program in both facilities and academics. Things such as the IPF, weight room and scholarships for summer school so students would train during the summer were based upon his demands. There were so many off field issues that needed a strong guiding hand before UCF was ready to start to be a real football program. GOL taught UCF how to think like a big time program. His brand of football was not exciting, but his way of thinking created a foundation for big time football and attracting athletes and promoting academics.

If you listen to Coach K's interview on Sons of UCF you will hear what our problem always was; depth. We could hang with the first string but everything fell off after that. GOL built, over time, depth, especially on the lines.

Our reason for not having P5 status started long before GOL. Gene McDowell was the FB coach and athletic director. UCF had a chance to join a fledgling conference called CUSA. But they were blinded, first thinking we could do the FSU method and "play anyone anywhere" and get into the SEC or ACC; and ignoring the importance of basketball and facilities. Having drunk the Kool-aid at that time I remember thinking why would we join that piss-ant conference? Joining the MAC was a desperation try at getting in the door. By the time GOL got here that ship had passed and our program was at its lowest (yes even lower than 0-12 in IMHO)

We could also have had a Skip Holtz type situation where we continued to languish. We were totally lost as a program in 2004. We had no juice, nothing to sell. Team discipline was bad. Team academics were bad. UCF needed a slow building, not quick fix. If you want to know what a quick fix looks like watch the cows.

2004 we weren’t going to get the athletes we needed. Weren’t in right conference.

We were getting about the same type of athletes that we get today. The difference wasn't facilities, it was GOLs personality. Plug a SF type personality in instead and more local athletes/coaches warm to UCF.
Recruiting in 04 we got 1 guy that was a 3 star and the rest were 2 or lower. Last year we got 11 three star or higher guys. AAC has helped more than CUSA or whatever we were in then.

It's fair to say it took a long time, but This Place came into a much better situation, facility and name recognition wise, than Statue.

I still can't believe the powers that be gave a Statue to a guy that had 2 winless seasons and a winning percentage under .600 and on top of that enough off the field controversy plus NCAA violations under his watch. I admit he helped with a foundation for the Program but he gets way too much praise by some.

I still can't believe the powers that be gave a Statue to a guy that had 2 winless seasons and a winning percentage under .600 and on top of that enough off the field controversy plus NCAA violations under his watch. I admit he helped with a foundation for the Program but he gets way too much praise by some.

image.jpg

The statue was a knee jerk reaction to people like FB who don't understand the nature of UCF football prior to 2004. It was not necessary and I am not sure even GOL likes it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT