ADVERTISEMENT

Is the lack of yardage running up the middle, play calling or is it the running backs?

Otis's hands seem to have no issues here in one the most high pressure situations possible.

Maybe the playcaller needs to put him and the other RBs in a better position to succeed.
So far after 7 games it’s been a wasted season for him as far as production. He has dropped a few passes, but he should be getting 3-5 or more of Killins 15 carries last night.

If not him, then one of the other backs. Look at the average per carry. Stats don’t lie.

Maybe we just keep doing what we have been doing which is rush for 250-300 a game 6 yards per carry and win. Killins starts and faces a fresher defense so complaining about his yards per carry is getting tired. But of course all these message board coaches would have the team playing much better.

might have looked a little better with C. Richardson with Otis & McCrae. Killins hasn’t been impressive in a traditional RB role going back to the final stretch of last season

The playcalling after that sudden turnover in plus territory was especially bad.
Another way to modify your game plan: When you have a DE like ECU had last night or Griffin was for us, you call plays that take advantage of their hard rush and the area they leave vacant.

Reactions: knightraveler
I agree with this, but it IS an ideal situation. It’s up to Heupel to make it work like Frost did. It’s definitely possible even with a slightly new system

He needs to play the best players and stop falling in love with Killins potential to break one up the middle. I’m frankly tired of it and so are the fans. 7-0 or not.

To say Heupel is holding back stuff is ridiculous after 7 games and one near loss.
I cringe everytime I hear that.

Just about every coach will tell you that by game 3, the entire system is installed that can be. They dont hold stuff back other than some tiny minutiae that is only effective in rare situations. Basically, by the end of game 2, what you see is what you're going to get.

As far as Killins goes, man do I not get it. He's one of the most dangerous players in college football when he is used correctly but brings absolutely nothing to the table when hes asked to do things that arent in his wheelhouse. You guys are on 2 coaches now that keep trying to make him be something that he's not. Obviously they see something there that the rest of us dont but FFS after a while dont you just go with what works?

So far after 7 games it’s been a wasted season for him as far as production. He has dropped a few passes, but he should be getting 3-5 or more of Killins 15 carries last night.

If not him, then one of the other backs. Look at the average per carry. Stats don’t lie.
firm biz mentioned a few weeks ago and it's what I'm worried about is Transfers this offseason. Who would you rather appease to give more touches to keep around 1-2 more seasons Otis or Killins? the answer for me is Otis and he would have interest. Killins is a gadget player at this point.

Same play up the middle, does AK take it to the house?
NxiUi5.png

Reactions: Mikesi
Maybe we just keep doing what we have been doing which is rush for 250-300 a game 6 yards per carry and win. Killins starts and faces a fresher defense so complaining about his yards per carry is getting tired. But of course all these message board coaches would have the team playing much better.
Maybe we can score 60 on everyone, rush for 350-400 yards and 7 plus yards a carry and not hear how we are a soft 7-0 team not blowing out mediocre teams.

That fresher defense argument is not proven, because the other backs have been productive early on and Killins hasn’t been productive late in the game either.

You do realize that we had 30 yards in the first half against Memphis and that put us in a huge hole, right?

firm biz mentioned a few weeks ago and it's what I'm worried about is Transfers this offseason. Who would you rather appease to give more touches to keep around 1-2 more seasons Otis or Killins? the answer for me is Otis and he would have interest. Killins is a gadget player at this point.

Dude, thats like saying Raghib Ismail was a gadget player. Killins is a devastating weapon when used properly. That may only mean 5 touches a game but he is far from a gadget player. Not everyone can be Randy Moss or Adrian Petersen where you just keep feeding them the ball. Killins is just one part of an effective system.

Sorry. Not backing down on the Killins argument

What annoys me is how we trash it in the game thread and the next day or week later, some of the same trashers are defending it

Dude, thats like saying Raghib Ismail was a gadget player. Killins is a devastating weapon when used properly. That may only mean 5 touches a game but he is far from a gadget player. Not everyone can be Randy Moss or Adrian Petersen where you just keep feeding them the ball. Killins is just one part of an effective system.
I thought that was the definition of gadget player? I think he should be used occasionally in the slot as a WR and on jet sweeps & maybe special teams

I thought that was the definition of gadget player? I think he should be used occasionally in the slot as a WR and on jet sweeps & maybe special teams

Not in my opinion. When you have as many weapons as UCF does, you dont need someone to be an every down type of player. If youve got 6 or 7 guys who all have a role to play and you get each of them 5-10 touches a game none of them are gadget players. They all just work into the system and make it effective.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Mack almost threw 2 picks that bounced off defenders chest. But whatever you say coach.
He can call high percentage passes. It doesn't have to be a dropback and a can the field situation. Their defensive line was shutting down most of the gaps all night and that's where we continued to run. Unless this is Heup's long con and he is saving all the productive run plays for later, something is wrong. There are too many playmakers on this team for this offense to be this bland week in and week out.

What about bentavious? Has that dude played the last 3 games?

Reactions: Knight Strength
I disagree totally. If anything, they’re comparable play callers. I think Heup tries to keep the Defense honest to set up other plays. Heup has had better success on 4th down than Frosty did. Look at last night’s game (Quadry to Killins TD) I don’t recall seeing a bubble screen double pass during a Frost era.

First seven games this year = 311 points
First seven games last year = 357 points

That's an entire games worth difference in points. So yes, I stick to my point that Frost is a better offensive play caller. Scoreboard don't lie.

I don't see this coach putting 60-70 on anyone.

Reactions: Poolside Knight

That's an entire games worth difference in points. So yes, I stick to my point that Frost is a better offensive play caller. Scoreboard don't lie.

Doesn’t Frost coach NGEbraska now?

Follow me on this:

It's possible to discuss the offense under Frost, and the offense under Heupel at the same time.
Correct. It’s obvious visually. Even statistically now.

However, Milton didn’t play game 7

I’m fairly confident that coach Heupel can put up those numbers once he ends the Killins up the middle love affair.

That’s my MAIN complaint. Maybe my only one as well

Reactions: Knight Strength
I don't expect the playbook or play calling to change because the playbook has been practiced for months now and I trust Heup knows what he's doing with the calls BUT, if Taj and McRae aren't getting the bulk of the runs up the middle in the CCG and NY6 I will be disappointed.

Reactions: Mikesi
Also feel the need to mention that our Oline has been spotty. I'm sure LRB is on it but it hurts the run game so I think its relevant.

Year 2 in Frost offense vs Year 1 in Heupel offense. Be clear on everything when making the comparisons.

There are so many underlying considerations, it would be ridiculous to make such an absurd comparison about their play calling abilities.....

some false equivalencies going on here...even some of the biggest homers in the UCF fanbase that don't post here are commenting on the playcalling being worse than CSF so far. It doesn't mean that Heup still can't be a very good Head Coach

some false equivalencies going on here...even some of the biggest homers in the UCF fanbase that don't post here are commenting on the playcalling being worse than CSF so far. It doesn't mean that Heup still can't be a very good Head Coach
It’s totally true. Even Frost keeps improving. He actually coached a better game yesterday than he has all season. As long as the coach
WANTS to improve and not be stubborn.

How many points were scored after 7 games in 2016....that's a better gauge since we have a new system, even if it has a lot of similarities. Honestly, though, comparing seasons is apples and oranges. Every year a team is different, and so is the schedule.

How many points were scored after 7 games in 2016....that's a better gauge since we have a new system, even if it has a lot of similarities. Honestly, though, comparing seasons is apples and oranges. Every year a team is different, and so is the schedule.
Absolutely........and the competition, and the playing conditions, and the injuries, and the rule changes, yada, yada, yada.........

I don't care how this team compares to last year's, I just want constant improvement. This team has been stagnant for a few weeks, but a bye week will be nice for them to rest and get ready for the hardest part of their schedule. Heup has time to evaluate the good things and bad things and learn. How they play Temple will say a lot.

The bar is perfection and the #1 scoring offense in the country last year. Heup may not reach it his first year coaching.

Year 2 in Frost offense vs Year 1 in Heupel offense. Be clear on everything when making the comparisons.

No need. The same offense as last year is in place. Heupel inherited the clown car, but has been pedestrian with it.

This offense was not in place in Frost's first year. A coach could not have walked into a better situation on offense.

I want to see the fun, lethal, offense that could score at will, again.

Its kind of ridiculous that someone can find something to complain about when the team is undefeated but I get it. Its all about perspective, and the perspective right now is that CJH isnt as effective as Frost was. There is probably a hint of truth there but seriously i dont understand why, if a team is undefeated, would you look for something to complain about. Sometimes it is scheme, sometimes it is having superior athletes, sometimes its just luck, but the goal is to not lose and so far that hasnt happened.

Its kind of ridiculous that someone can find something to complain about when the team is undefeated but I get it. Its all about perspective, and the perspective right now is that CJH isnt as effective as Frost was. There is probably a hint of truth there but seriously i dont understand why, if a team is undefeated, would you look for something to complain about. Sometimes it is scheme, sometimes it is having superior athletes, sometimes its just luck, but the goal is to not lose and so far that hasnt happened.
I really appreciate this perspective. I just think we could be better and if we don't improve this one issue, there's a good chance losing happens this season.

No need. The same offense as last year is in place.

No, it isn’t. I think that’s the entire basis of the argument. Heupel’s offense isn’t as good as Frost.

Same shit everyone has to do when you you’re winning all the time. Make things up to complain about.

We played 1 bad game against a rival on the road and still scored 31 points.

We played our back-up QB who has never seen more than a few snaps on offense and still scored 30 points on offense and won by 27.

Even I question Killins up the middle too much, but also remember questioning it last year when Frost was here.

Reactions: hemightbejeremy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT