ADVERTISEMENT

It is officially Mikey Keene time.

I love JRP’s athleticism and big play ability with his legs. He can make a huge play from a broken play, but we don’t run the triple option offense and have to throw the ball.

I didn’t see JRP pressured any more than Mikey Keene last year. So save the excuses about the OL. JRP made bad reads, threw a pick, had another 2-3 passes which should have been picks and wasn’t even close to the receiver on a lot of passes. For all who claim to call it as you see it….take the rose colored glasses off and save the spin…JRP is not 4 months out of HS ..he simply didn’t make good reads and passes downfield last night.

Having said that, JRP has a nice, strong arm…little touch on the ball right now But I think he needs more game experience to slow the game down and start feeling comfortable in the pocket. I think JRP stays our starter unless it gets to the point that defenses stack the box and have absolutely no respect for our passing game Leading to three and outs.

JRP‘s running ability is phenomenal, arm strength is SEC caliber, but right now he has to improve on his reads, decision making, anticipating throws, and touch on the ball. I think he can improve and love to watch him make big plays with his legs….. but until he improves passing.…Gus will minimize turnovers by calling the same bubble screen game plan he called for that kid four months out of HS last year….you know, the one who beat Florida.

I’m pulling forJRP because even if if he can at best be an average passer, his playmaking ability is fun to watch and it’ll mean our offense will score enough to win more games than not. Let’s hope JRP puts it together. He has all of the physical tools. Go Knights!

I love JRP’s athleticism and big play ability with his legs. He can make a huge play from a broken play, but we don’t run the triple option offense and have to throw the ball.

I didn’t see JRP pressured any more than Mikey Keene last year. So save the excuses about the OL. JRP made bad reads, threw a pick, had another 2-3 passes which should have been picks and wasn’t even close to the receiver on a lot of passes. For all who claim to call it as you see it….take the rose colored glasses off and save the spin…JRP is not 4 months out of HS ..he simply didn’t make good reads and passes downfield last night.

Having said that, JRP has a nice, strong arm…little touch on the ball right now But I think he needs more game experience to slow the game down and start feeling comfortable in the pocket. I think JRP stays our starter unless it gets to the point that defenses stack the box and have absolutely no respect for our passing game Leading to three and outs.

JRP‘s running ability is phenomenal, arm strength is SEC caliber, but right now he has to improve on his reads, decision making, anticipating throws, and touch on the ball. I think he can improve and love to watch him make big plays with his legs….. but until he improves passing.…Gus will minimize turnovers by calling the same bubble screen game plan he called for that kid four months out of HS last year….you know, the one who beat Florida.

I’m pulling forJRP because even if if he can at best be an average passer, his playmaking ability is fun to watch and it’ll mean our offense will score enough to win more games than not. Let’s hope JRP puts it together. He has all of the physical tools. Go Knights!
I think UCF needs a two-quarterback system. Going Wild Bowser inside the 5 is no different than going Mikey Keene on possession three.

So does Gus give the ball to TC for FAU in a whole game to see how he controls the game?
Let's concentrate on the real problem here and it's Gus......how about he does a better job of play calling and preparing the O for every game moving forward? We can't afford another O flop like yesterday. And I thought that's why we brought on Chip but now it just looks like we've got 2 O coaching problems not just 1....

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
I think UCF needs a two-quarterback system. Going Wild Bowser inside the 5 is no different than going Mikey Keene on possession three.
I agree….no one thinks Bowser is going to throw in that situation…if RJ Harvey (HS QB) is in there at least there’s a possibility of a good pass being thrown and keeping the defense honest.

Let's concentrate on the real problem here and it's Gus......how about he does a better job of play calling and preparing the O for every game moving forward? We can't afford another O flop like yesterday. And I thought that's why we brought on Chip but now it just looks like we've got 2 O coaching problems not just 1....
I rather agree with you. The problem is not who's behind center, it's who's on the sideline.

Last edited:
Reactions: georgiaknight
OL and penalties need to be cleaned up. No push by OL and JRP was getting smothered by rush on almost every pass play. Our offense was getting manhandled by their defense.

Also, I wasn't a big fan of the play calling. Yes, we still don't know how well JRP is reading the defense but last night both sock boy and Mickey would have struggled with the rush.

The team will work it out this month and we'll have to focus on GOL mantra to win the conference championship first and foremost.

Crazy how some of you think Mikey would have been able to handle that pressure last night from our porous OL and that all out blitz last night. No one we have could have handled that pressure we saw, we have a bad OL. But AGAIN we had 2 huge TDs called back for “holding” that replays showed didn’t exist. Even the ESPN crew were showing crazy bias on calls all game even after seeing the replay showing otherwise, it was weird. The fix was in…the play calling was bad, the OL were bad, the Special Teams were bad.

Crazy how some of you think Mikey would have been able to handle that pressure last night from our porous OL and that all out blitz last night. No one we have could have handled that pressure we saw, we have a bad OL. But AGAIN we had 2 huge TDs called back for “holding” that replays showed didn’t exist. Even the ESPN crew were showing crazy bias on calls all game even after seeing the replay showing otherwise, it was weird. The fix was in…the play calling was bad, the OL were bad, the Special Teams were bad.
There are ways to handle all our blitz pressure every down. Otherwise every team would do the same thing every down. Solutions however involve a QB who can make a quick decision and complete a pass beyond the line of scrimmage.

Pretty sure Texas fans warned us about Hand's OL performance when he came here as well. Either way I think we're in a pretty big talent hole from Heupel's recruiting classes that is going to take at least 3-4 cycles of good recruiting to revert. That includes the QB/OL position, among several others. Transfers are only going to get you so far, and I think are a duct tape fix for holes.

Pretty sure Texas fans warned us about Hand's OL performance when he came here as well. Either way I think we're in a pretty big talent hole from Heupel's recruiting classes that is going to take at least 3-4 cycles of good recruiting to revert. That includes the QB/OL position, among several others. Transfers are only going to get you so far, and I think are a duct tape fix for holes.
This. We also need time for oline to gel with the two new transfers so they can certainly improve and we hope they do. Knowing they were bringing the house, playcalling should have had designed rollouts for JRP to get him out of pocket and make some easy throws to get back in rhythym

Quite a few QBs in recent memory that lead good teams are transfers. Gus hasnt got the good ones to come here.

Quite a few QBs in recent memory that lead good teams are transfers. Gus hasnt got the good ones to come here.
Agreed and not saying there aren't good transfer QBs out there. Some transfers have played out, but many times the guys coming from big programs don't pan out due to them being overrated coming out of hs, don't grow to level of college competition, etc. If you have a QB that has lived the system for a few years and was recruited for it, you're going to have the most success. Fortunately and unfortunately we've had rapid coaching changes the last 8 years. Great because that was a result of on the field success (sans oleary), but its led to poor continuity in the roster and staff. Its finally catching up to us, and combined with poor recruiting its a recipe for the current situation. One Qb is not made for the system, the other is but lacks needed skills, and the other is a true freshman.

3/4 recruiting cycles to revert? Lol. We have 7 4* receiving options. The issue isn’t the talent at skill positions. The issue is a G5 line. Which is what Frost and Heupel schemes could somewhat mask. Plus our best QB, WR, and defensive player transferred out this offseason. Gus needs to focus on recruiting and let an up and coming OC run the offense. It’s pretty obvious at this point.

Reactions: Yaes
Agreed and not saying there aren't good transfer QBs out there. Some transfers have played out, but many times the guys coming from big programs don't pan out due to them being overrated coming out of hs, don't grow to level of college competition, etc. If you have a QB that has lived the system for a few years and was recruited for it, you're going to have the most success. Fortunately and unfortunately we've had rapid coaching changes the last 8 years. Great because that was a result of on the field success (sans oleary), but its led to poor continuity in the roster and staff. Its finally catching up to us, and combined with poor recruiting its a recipe for the current situation. One Qb is not made for the system, the other is but lacks needed skills, and the other is a true freshman.
Quite a few Heisman type guys have been transfers. Burrows, Fields, Baker, Murray, Wilson, etc. This year there was a bunch of QBs available. Including our starter who didnt want to play for Gus. Its not a system that helps you get to NFL so the guys that want to show they can throw ball won’t come here. Its a 90s system when running QBs was the way to win. Now its slinging ball around and running every so often. We need a pass first offense and QB.

To some degree, I agree. Problem is it is hard to develop players now. Kids will transfer out if better NIL or playing time is available elsewhere.

3/4 recruiting cycles to revert? Lol. We have 7 4* receiving options. The issue isn’t the talent at skill positions. The issue is a G5 line. Which is what Frost and Heupel schemes could somewhat mask. Plus our best QB, WR, and defensive player transferred out this offseason. Gus needs to focus on recruiting and let an up and coming OC run the offense. It’s pretty obvious at this point.
The issue was the preparation and play calliing....this one's on Gus and Chip...we had extra time to prepare, the Louisville coach told us exactly what he had to do (stop the run and play physical) and we didn't have a good gameplan. Gus and Chip have to coach this offense to handle different situations and when the opposing coach tells us what he'll do, prepare for it. They didn't and we scored 14 points and lost.

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
The OL may have to give the KFC a break for a while... Korean Fried Chicken Wings.

Wondering if you’ve even watched a game at all last year. Or if you even watched our OL this year.
Keene was a freshman thrown to the wolves. He is now older and bigger and more experienced. I think he deserves several series to see if he improved. Castellonos needs to also get some series to see if he can throw and manage a game. We know he can run. Plumlee can make some throws if he has time but so far doesn't look like he has the accuracy to thread the needle.

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT