ADVERTISEMENT

Just saw Frost is coaching the Peach bowl

I would lift my "this is a douchbag maneuver" label off Frost if he is 100% committed to our Bowl game. This is just weird, though. I can not recall a situation where an outgoing coach was allowed to stay on. From UCF's perspective, this would be a win-win. We get our full staff for our Bowl game plus the new coach can start recruiting. Since he has a 7 year window to try and turn around Nebraska, I guess they are willing to throw away some recruiting for 2018? Still hard for me to believe this. When I hear it from him or Danny I'll believe it.

I never had a problem with him taking the money and going. The timing is what I think most people take issue with. I know I do. You may not ever get this opportunity in your lifetime, and just because it's not at, for example, FSU, doesn't mean it doesn't count. We'll be on a big stage for whatever bowl we play in and we'll get to show people what we're about.

Let's be frank. He's getting 35 million dollars because of those players and everyone thst supports the football program. It's the least he can do.

Last edited:
Why would you be against it if it's what the players want? If they don't want it, he wouldn't do it. The fact he's a play-caller makes this a different situation than if he was a head coach who is just a manager type. He gives them the best chance to win. Not saying you won't be fine without him next season, but losing an/the OC with 4 weeks to make up for it would make it tough no matter which other coach coached the bowl game.

This! The players should vote and let DW know what they decide. Not saying they should be the deciding factor, but it would be good to know where they stand. UCF is headed for a NY6, the competition will not be easy, UCF will need to be firing on all cylinders.

The end of the game stole my allotment of Posts, so I have not been able to properly say this yet.

Congratulations UCF Knights!! Outstanding game and a crap ton of offense. 1399 yards combine in regulation, UNREAL!
Can we vote on not having people from Nebraska on our board?

I'm not sure why people are so pissed at Frost. He's from there, he played there, his family is there, it's his home.

He's made us look good, done nothing but talk up the school, program, and leadership, and now he wants to help in the bowl game, if possible, even though it screws him over with recruiting.

Class act. People that are feeling hurt by him leaving should take a deep breath.

I'm not sure why people are so pissed at Frost. He's from there, he played there, his family is there, it's his home.

He's made us look good, done nothing but talk up the school, program, and leadership, and now he wants to help in the bowl game, if possible, even though it screws him over with recruiting.

Class act. People that are feeling hurt by him leaving should take a deep breath.
People aren't so pissed about him leaving but let's be blunt, a 35 million dollar offer helped in that decision. That said, how many coaches at this level get to even try for a full, undefeated season. 129 teams this year. Only one so far has punched thier ticket to try for a perfect season. If Wisconsin wins they would still need two wins. We still have to win one. The competition gets stiffer. The pressure gets more intense. That's what most people are ticked off about.

We'll be fine for the forseeable future. We have a great AD and administration that has set up everything for success and we're smack dab in probably the best recruiting state in the country. Frost isn't the only coach on the planet that can be successful here.

I would lift my "this is a douchbag maneuver" label off Frost if he is 100% committed to our Bowl game. This is just weird, though. I can not recall a situation where an outgoing coach was allowed to stay on. From UCF's perspective, this would be a win-win. We get our full staff for our Bowl game plus the new coach can start recruiting. Since he has a 7 year window to try and turn around Nebraska, I guess they are willing to throw away some recruiting for 2018? Still hard for me to believe this. When I hear it from him or Danny I'll believe it....

Espn cites urban Meyer in ‘05 for the fiesta bowl as the last significant time this arrangement has happened.

Reactions: mattropolis
I am just happy that our team finally gets a much deserved rest after having no bye weeks. I am sure it is also nice for them to not have to hear if Frost is going or staying. They probably have known for around a week or more, but the media was relentless about it. Maybe the media was focusing so hard on it because they didn't want to explain how an unbeaten team is ranked behind many mutiple loss teams. If it was because of our defense then Oklahoma needs to drop down next to us, because their defense rivals ours in stopping offenses.

....and now he wants to help in the bowl game, if possible, even though it screws him over with recruiting.

Class act. People that are feeling hurt by him leaving should take a deep breath.Ok

Class act for sure... It's the right thing to do for the kids that came to UCF for Frost, especially MM.

I don't think he's completely screwed regarding recruiting, though. He's been recruiting all season... there will be kids that were considering UCF that will now consider NU to follow his offense... Those that don't mind playing in the freezer section at least.

I would lift my "this is a douchbag maneuver" label off Frost if he is 100% committed to our Bowl game. This is just weird, though. I can not recall a situation where an outgoing coach was allowed to stay on. From UCF's perspective, this would be a win-win. We get our full staff for our Bowl game plus the new coach can start recruiting. Since he has a 7 year window to try and turn around Nebraska, I guess they are willing to throw away some recruiting for 2018? Still hard for me to believe this. When I hear it from him or Danny I'll believe it.

I never had a problem with him taking the money and going. The timing is what I think most people take issue with. I know I do. You may not ever get this opportunity in your lifetime, and just because it's not at, for example, FSU, doesn't mean it doesn't count. We'll be on a big stage for whatever bowl we play in and we'll get to show people what we're about.

Let's be frank. He's getting 35 million dollars because of those players and everyone thst supports the football program. It's the least he can do.

Danny White was the one who broke this news on his press conference after the game. I watched the entire video on FB.

Reactions: dbmullet and Mikesi

Urban Meyer did this when he was at Utah. It allowed him to elevate his brand for recruiting at Florida. Utah proceeded to go 7-5, 8-5 and 9-4 before returning to prominence in 2008.

Frost made his decision to leave UCF for prestige and $. HE AND HIS ASSISTANTS SHOULD NOT COACH THE BOWL GAME! What's he gonna wear on the sidelines, Nebraska gear? He's no longer a Knight and doesn't deserve the Black and Gold anymore. Let's move on with the loyal coaches who decided to stay who TRULY believe this is a great place to coach!

I agree move out on a high. But he made the decision to leave and he should. Let Walters take charge and give 100% focus because he is fighting for this job and possibly others.

Reactions: Mikesi
Frost made his decision to leave UCF for prestige and $. HE AND HIS ASSISTANTS SHOULD NOT COACH THE BOWL GAME! What's he gonna wear on the sidelines, Nebraska gear? He's no longer a Knight and doesn't deserve the Black and Gold anymore. Let's move on with the loyal coaches who decided to stay who TRULY believe this is a great place to coach!

Perhaps the plan that DW talked about should allow them to help game plan and then he should make a decision before the game to pull the plug and not allow them to attend the game. We all know that many of the game day decisions are very questionable anyway. Knowing DW he is too much of a standup guy to pull a shenanigan like that.

Thanks guys. I'll be having to scramble to rearrange all kinds of holiday travel plans and a work schedule, but I'm going to do whatever it takes to attend

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
It's probably too confusing if we hire a new guy within days and let him coach the bowl?

It's probably too confusing if we hire a new guy within days and let him coach the bowl?
different coach, different offense

if the players don't have a problem with it let Frost call the plays, he's the most experienced play caller and it's a chance at 13-0

the man looks emotionally spent

DQIsjnKXkAAprUe.jpg

I respect Frost for what he did for the school but he shouldn't coach the bowl game. He's now with another school and there should be a clean break and sever all ties. Rip the Band Aid and move on (both parties involved).

This is starting to sound/look like an awkward relationship break up when both individuals (parties) know it's over but don't know how to move on.

This might make sense if Frost wasn't taking almost his entire staff with him. Frost is trying to do right by this team. He should be lauded for that. If DW hires a new coach quickly, this could be a huge boon for UCF. NCAA will grant waiver for new coach to recruit while current staff coaches (and recruits for Nebraska). No distractions for new UCF staff, who can focus 100% on recruiting, and Frost's staff and team can finish what they started, hopefully with a big Peach Bowl win.

As a Husker fan, I wish he'd leave and focus on recruiting, but even though NU is his dream job, he cares too much about UCF to screw them over. He's a class act. It's the compromise we made to get our top guy. Make no mistake, you were never losing him to Florida or Tennessee. He meant it when he said UCF is special. If Riley would've won more, Frost would've continued to build UCF, until Riley retired in a few years and he was called home. But he was never going to turn down Nebraska, even if UCF was already in a P5 conference. Nebraska is home.

Congrats on the Great season, and good luck on the Peach Bowl. Nebraska fans will be routing for you guys. Good luck on your search. Sumlin is a very good coach, although I doubt he'll have near the loyalty as Frost (Frost would've only left UCF for a tiny handful of jobs, and maybe just one), but in the meantime, he'll really keep that thing running. You'll be able to command bigger and bigger buyouts for top coaches which will keep them around a little longer or at least leave the program well compensated. At the very least, Frost made UCF THE top G5 coaching gig in the nation. Get continued fan suppot that matches your massive enrollment, and it may even become more.

Reactions: Knight_Fyre
different coach, different offense

if the players don't have a problem with it let Frost call the plays, he's the most experienced play caller and it's a chance at 13-0
Not only that, but the new coach would need to learn the plays, the language used for everything. Also whoever gets hired as your new coach wont have a full staff immediately. There is no way a new coach from outside the program will have watched enough game film to remotely draw on the strengths of what has been coached for the past 2 seasons.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
When are we going to have this vote (supposing it would happen)? The reason I ask is, have it today, tomorrow they're still filled with the love of 12-0, the championship etc. etc. Wait weeks and the anger of being abandoned could set in- when they begin processing the 'This is the greatest year of my life" bullcrap etc. etc. what Frost said to the team last night, and begin thinking 'But, wait, if this is the greatest year, why the hell are you throwing it in the dumpster?" (yep a tragic run-on sentence) Here's hoping if we LET Frost coach, the love train the players are feeling keeps running.

Frost is a class act. Thank you for your service.

Now, Go Away.

Coaching the bowl game is a lose-lose-lose situation for us.

1) If we win the game with him as coach, they'll give Frost the credit and they will knock us down next year.

2) If we lose the game with him as coach, it may be due to the continued distraction and mis-directed emotions.

3) If he continues his UCF affiliation for another month, it might be a negative against recruiting. "Hey, if Frost is so good,that we need him to coach the bowl, maybe I should go to Nebraska"

4) Also, his continued presence could cause us lose transfers by giving him 4 more weeks to "bond" with our players and make subtle suggestions to those he would like to transfer.

5) if we go without him and win, it shows the team can stand on its own without the nation's new Wonder Boy. This will help our reputation next year.

Reactions: Mikesi
Why would you be against it if it's what the players want? If they don't want it, he wouldn't do it. The fact he's a play-caller makes this a different situation than if he was a head coach who is just a manager type. He gives them the best chance to win. Not saying you won't be fine without him next season, but losing an/the OC with 4 weeks to make up for it would make it tough no matter which other coach coached the bowl game.

He's taking well over half the staff with him to Nebraska. If they all left, UCF would be sunk. He's not going to do that to them, even though it would be best for his new/current employer. NU has to sacrifice to ge their guy, because he has too much love for this team too abandon them. Send him out a winner!

Frost is a class act. Thank you for your service.

Now, Go Away.

Coaching the bowl game is a lose-lose-lose situation for us.

1) If we win the game with him as coach, they'll give Frost the credit and they will knock us down next year.

2) If we lose the game with him as coach, it may be due to the continued distraction and mis-directed emotions.

3) If he continues his UCF affiliation for another month, it might be a negative against recruiting. "Hey, if Frost is so good,that we need him to coach the bowl, maybe I should go to Nebraska"

4) Also, his continued presence could cause us lose transfers by giving him 4 more weeks to "bond" with our players and make subtle suggestions to those he would like to transfer.

5) if we go without him and win, it shows the team can stand on its own without the nation's new Wonder Boy. This will help our reputation next year.

Possible, but the alternative is worse. As for transfers, Vedral still leave for obvious reasons, but doubt anyone else will, especially if you hire a good new coach and/or promote Walters. If you land Sumlin, you'd be getting one of Florida State's top 3 targets, and a proven coach and recruiter who won 7+ every year in the SEC West. He'll go HAM on the AAC, just like Frost.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT