ADVERTISEMENT

Keep Troy Walters and Coach Beckton

Knight_Classes_begin_7pm

Golden Knight
Oct 6, 2013
Thoughts?

On whether he wants to be a head coach one day:

Walters: “Eventually, yeah. I love Orlando, I love UCF, I love what we’re doing here. I love the future here, but I’m taking it one day at a time trying to stay to get focused on Memphis, a good defense, they’ve gotten better since we’ve played them and I know the future will take care of itself. All I can do is worry about today and we’ll see what happens.”

Last edited:
Guys that get promoted into higher roles or have UCF connections probably stay, the others probably go.

Let's face it, if you're an OC or DC at UCF right now, you have a better shot of Walters getting a better gig sooner than Frost ever leaving Nebraska. And if your Frost's OC, you'll probably never get a good P5 HC gig because you'll never actually call plays.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
I think we have to have a national search. Looking in our backyard may not be best going forward. We may lose recruits so we might have to promote a P5 assistant that can bring a few recruits with him.

If Walters can continue to run the Oregon offense. Then give him the opportunity. We love watching this offense spread the field with explosive plays, and if that changed it would be missed. Come on omit it UCF fans! We have a taste of a creative offensive scheme, and losing that now is where the frustration sets in. I haven't enjoyed watching the offense this much since coach K and Frost's offense is 10 times better. :sunglasses:

I think we have to have a national search. Looking in our backyard may not be best going forward. We may lose recruits so we might have to promote a P5 assistant that can bring a few recruits with him.
We should get the best coach we can. Frost had no problem bringing in a whole new staff and getting great players. Where they come from isn’t as much of an issue as people think. It’s style of play and right now we have a lot of style points.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
We should get the best coach we can. Frost had no problem bringing in a whole new staff and getting great players. Where they come from isn’t as much of an issue as people think. It’s style of play and right now we have a lot of style points.
I don't think the best coach we can get is already on campus.

Man.....here we go again possibly.......new staff, new game.. :-(

We don't need a name coach. Frost was not a name coach. That's the stuff "blue bloods" do and why they are always hiring/firing coaches.

We now have the unquestioned premier G5 job....I think a name coach with a familiarity with an offensive system like this is vital.

For one year. Last year Western Michigan was the unquestioned premier G5 job. Before that Houston was. Before that we were. Before that it was TCU. Before that it was Boise. There is no unquestioned premier G5 team.

Reactions: Vike Knight
Name coaches are just guys that failed somewhere else. If they were good, they'd still be at their job. Unless you're talking about a name college coach that jumped to the NFL and failed.

Name coaches are just guys that failed somewhere else. If they were good, they'd still be at their job. Unless you're talking about a name college coach that jumped to the NFL and failed.

Not sure if serious....Saban, Carroll, and Bellichick have all been fired at some point.....so by your logic they all suck.

And on your other point, we have the best job (only for a year according to you) and an opening....have to make the best big splash hire we can to build the momentum.

You still have Walters as your favorite?

Not sure if serious....Saban, Carroll, and Bellichick have all been fired at some point.....so by your logic they all suck.

And on your other point, we have the best job (only for a year according to you) and an opening....have to make the best big splash hire we can to build the momentum.

You still have Walters as your favorite?

Saban - never fired at the college level.
Carroll - never fired at the college level.
Belicheck - never fired at the college level.

I even wrote, "unless you're talking about a college coach that jumped to the NFL and failed"

2 years ago, we were arguably the worst G5 opportunity. Today, we are the best. That doesn't make it permanent though. G5 teams have never made "big splash" hires. They just never have. I get we all love UCF and see the potential here, but we are not a program that should be expecting "big splash" hires yet.

Again, Walters is not, nor has ever been my "favorite". All I've done is say he is a viable option while other UCF fans seem to treat him like Frankie Freshman.

My favorite is whoever DW says because he has proven to know what to do more than any knucklehead on a message board.

UCF was never the worst G5 opportunity. 2 years ago it was a top 3 G5 job and UCF landed a stud coach that Nebraska fans wanted at that time too.

UCF was never the worst G5 opportunity. 2 years ago it was a top 3 G5 job and UCF landed a stud coach that Nebraska fans wanted at that time too.

We were 0-12. Tell ourselves whatever we want. Nebraska fans are idiots living in 1997. They didn't all want him and the ones that did only wanted him because he was from there. He was not a "big splash" hire by anyone's measure.

Maybe we weren't the worst, but claiming we were closer to the top is disingenuous.

We were 0-12. Tell ourselves whatever we want. Nebraska fans are idiots living in 1997. They didn't all want him and the ones that did only wanted him because he was from there. He was not a "big splash" hire by anyone's measure.

Maybe we weren't the worst, but claiming we were closer to the top is disingenuous.
He was definitely a big splash hire. He just wasnt expected.

I expect a big splash hire, we've earned it and the job should be appealing enough to get it.

Big Splash???? The college football world was abuzz because 0-12 UCF landed the big fish coordinator from Oregon?

Alabama landing Saban was a big splash.
UCLA landing Chip Kelly was a big splash.
Notre Dame hiring undefeated #3 ranked Cinci coach Brian Kelly was a big splash.
If Texas A&M gets JImbo, that's a big splash.

The OC of Oregon going to UCF was not a big splash.

The list of G5 jobs in fertile recruiting environments with major bowl win potential can be counted on one hand. 0-12 a year after 31 wins, 2 conference titles, and a Fiesta Bowl win the previous 3 is the anomaly. UCF hired the top coach of any G5 program. Certainly they were nowhere near the worst job. In fact all media rankings had UCF either at the top or near the top of best G5 jobs even after 2015.

Big Splash???? The college football world was abuzz because 0-12 UCF landed the big fish coordinator from Oregon?

Notre Dame hiring undefeated #3 ranked Cinci coach Brian Kelly was a big splash.

Frost was a splash hire. I don't know where you were, but there was tons of excitement about the hire and his Oregon system coming to UCF.

I didnt think we were in the hunt for Belichick.
Seriously though, as a UCF fan in 2015 no one thought lets adapt the Oregon fast offense. Lets have our program be a disciple of Chip Kelly.
We thought Dino Babers is great! He knows how to make adjustments!

I think we need to define "Big Splash". I think in your context it just means a hire that the UCF community supports. No one outside of the UCF community cared.

If that's the definition, then anyone DW decided to hire is automatically a "Big Splash". DW has earned that benefit of the doubt.

I never said Frost was a big splash hire.....we deserve one this time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT