ADVERTISEMENT

Keep Troy Walters and Coach Beckton

You didn't, others did.

What do you mean by "big splash"? I honestly don't know what people mean by this now.

See the other thread....but I'm thinking about guys like Helfrich, Sumlin, etc as having the best mix of qualities we should be looking for.

I'll also say we take a look at Jim Mora...

I honestly don't get the Sumlin thing. He has two good season at Houston, 2 good years with Manziel and then a bunch of 8 wins seasons. And he had QB's transferring out.

Mora's only college experience is going 47-30 at UCLA and going 8-5, 4-7 and 6-6 with the players he actually recruited.

A little bothersome that he went 8-5 and was fired the year he took over play calling duties. MIzzou put up some points the 2nd half of this season though.
They put up 30+ in 3 of the 4 regular season losses. Lost those 3 by a combined 8 points.

Makes me feel better. So he was the sacrificial lamb then?
Oklahoma is worse than Nebraska in terms of expectations. Doesn't help that they crapped the bed in the bowl game vs. Clemson. I do know that they won 10 or more games in his first 3 years with total offense #5, #5, and #12 in FBS. Had a drop to #24 in his last year. He also was OC for a couple BCS bowl wins.

UCF was never the worst G5 opportunity. 2 years ago it was a top 3 G5 job and UCF landed a stud coach that Nebraska fans wanted at that time too.
2 years ago we maybe was top 3 in the AAC, but I would have put us closer to 7 for G5 programs. Our facilities and location are the biggest reason why. I think now we are back to where we were when we won the Fiesta bowl where we are back to the top of G5 positions and ahead of quite a few of the P5 programs.

2 years ago we maybe was top 3 in the AAC, but I would have put us closer to 7 for G5 programs. Our facilities and location are the biggest reason why. I think now we are back to where we were when we won the Fiesta bowl where we are back to the top of G5 positions and ahead of quite a few of the P5 programs.
What are the 6 better jobs? I assume BYU and Houston. USF could maybe be considered equal except for accomplishments and facilities. Boise? San Diego State? Struggling to come up with any more.

What are the 6 better jobs? I assume BYU and Houston. USF could maybe be considered equal except for accomplishments and facilities. Boise? San Diego State? Struggling to come up with any more.
Two years ago a group of CF fans thought we were worse than Phoenix U. I think some of the reappeared as Nebraska trolls.**

You named all the ones I could think of. I am sure there was probably one more out there. The one thing we will always have compared to most G5 programs is our location and facilities. If we ever get P5 status I could only imagine how much that would help us out. At the time 2 years ago our program looked to be on a downward spiral while teams like Boise were consistently winning or atleast having respectable results. Two 0-12 seasons in such a short period is a bit of a red flag. The fiesta bowl helped a bit, but we needed consistency. Hopefully we are at that point where we can be like Boise and always have a competitive team.

I think we have to have a national search. Looking in our backyard may not be best going forward. We may lose recruits so we might have to promote a P5 assistant that can bring a few recruits with him.
I would like to see someone who will not only be successful, but also wants to be here for an extended time, or who has roots here. Not someone who will continue the revolving door.

Oklahoma is worse than Nebraska in terms of expectations. Doesn't help that they crapped the bed in the bowl game vs. Clemson. I do know that they won 10 or more games in his first 3 years with total offense #5, #5, and #12 in FBS. Had a drop to #24 in his last year. He also was OC for a couple BCS bowl wins.
But they can recruit Texas.

I would like to see someone who will not only be successful, but also wants to be here for an extended time, or who has roots here. Not someone who will continue the revolving door.
Like who? Walters has only been here 2 seasons too.

Man.....here we go again possibly.......new staff, new game.. :-(
From what I have heard there is a good possibility that Nebraska would retain a few current Nebraska coaches: the WR coach, DL coach, and possible the DB coach. The DB coach thing is not for sure, as he may stay on staff but not as the DB coach, since NCAA rules will allow for an extra coach next year.. The only name I have even remotely heard coming is the UCF OL coach.

UCF was never the worst G5 opportunity. 2 years ago it was a top 3 G5 job and UCF landed a stud coach that Nebraska fans wanted at that time too.
Sorry that is flat out false. Nebraska fans wanted Jim Tressle. They did not want another coordinator with zero head coaching experience. We wanted Frost to get a head coaching gig get some experience, and then come home in 5-8 years. Most people did not believe it would happen this fast, as we didn't expect the team to fall apart this year like it did.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but finding someone who wants to be here for an extended time would only apply to guys at the end middle to end of their career until we get into a P5. 4-5 years is fine. This 2 and out crap is BS though.

I hate to say it, but finding someone who wants to be here for an extended time would only apply to guys at the end middle to end of their career until we get into a P5. 4-5 years is fine. This 2 and out crap is BS though.

That's why we need to bump up the buyout.

He may get a HC offer. Plus why would an OC stay at a place they just hired a play caller? Isn’t he sick of just having a title with no power?

Obviously he needs to do what is best for him. He is well liked by the players and I think he will be a great asset to JH as he starts to know the players.

I am clearly looking at this from a UCF perspective, not a TW perspective.

He may get a HC offer. Plus why would an OC stay at a place they just hired a play caller? Isn’t he sick of just having a title with no power?
He won't be the playcaller at Nebraska either

I'm glad Danny White didn't make an emotional decision, Walters may be liked but he's very raw as an assistant & barely called plays

He should be smart and stay. Learn something new from the new guy and then create your own blend/style so when a good HC call comes you have your own plays, not something handed down.

Reactions: tribbleorlfl
Walters a Broyles Award finalist v. Auburn, Clemson, Wisconsin and Oklahoma-Oklahoma-Oklahoma-Oklahoma. Gee, any guess that the only undefeated assistant coach in the list gets snubbed?

I'm only concerned that Beckton hasn't had the chance to move up.
He might need to go to another program before that happens.

1992-93 - UCF - Offensive Graduate Assistant
1993-96 - Mainland (Fla.) High School - Assistant Coach
1996-03 - UCF - Wide Receivers
2008 - Orlando Predators - Wide Receivers
2009-11 - UCF - Defensive Backs
2012-15 - UCF - Wide Receivers
2016 - UCF - Tight Ends/Recruiting Coordinator​

I just hope there's a growth plan for him into a full coordinator role and eventual HC within the next decade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT