ADVERTISEMENT

Keep Troy Walters and Coach Beckton

He might be a phenomenal recruiter and an average coach. Frost probably wants him for the Florida connections. Not sure if that is going to work though. He's not a Nebraska guy so he won't be able to sell it like his alma mater.

Some coaches don't want to move their families every 2-3 years for 3 decades. Shannon will do the same even if it is at FAU, FIU, USF, JU, etc. They want to be in Florida.

I get the feeling Walters and Beck have an invitation from Frost if things don’t work out at UCF. Walters prospects will probably be higher at NU with success and give him better opportunities as a HC later. I would love for Walters to stay as OC and groom him as the eventual 10+ year coach if everything goes right. Beck, like mentioned above may prefer to just stay in the area for his family and not pursue higher positions. Quality of life for your family and staying at a school you love might mean more than any ambition he may have.

I get the feeling Walters and Beck have an invitation from Frost if things don’t work out at UCF. Walters prospects will probably be higher at NU with success and give him better opportunities as a HC later. I would love for Walters to stay as OC and groom him as the eventual 10+ year coach if everything goes right. Beck, like mentioned above may prefer to just stay in the area for his family and not pursue higher positions. Quality of life for your family and staying at a school you love might mean more than any ambition he may have.

Walters prospects are best at the program where he's allowed to call plays. I said it when Frost was hired. If he doesn't let Walters call plays, he hurts UCF and Walters. He's not much better off at NU not calling plays.

Frost will learn quickly that the head coach calling plays at a place like Nebraska doesn't work. Brian Kelly learned that the hard way at ND. There are too many other things going on as the head coach at those places. He will not be able to schedule his days the same way as at UCF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT