ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at Brandon Wimbush's actual football performances.. I charted all 443 dropbacks (gifs)

TOP wasn't an issues last year against a weaker schedule and led by a star QB. TOP was an issue when said QB was gone and competition was tougher. The argument of TOP wasn't a big deal for Fiesta Bowl because it was an 8 point loss. It was an 8 Point loss because 10 points were scored where the offense didn't gain a single yard.
It was also close because Of LSU struggling in the red zone. All 4 of their FGs were <30 yard attempts - if half of those get converted for TDS, it’s a complete blowout.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Just looking at the average defenses he faced......he played against 8 ranked teams several of which had top 10-12 defenses. The point has been made that BW has played against more highly ranked defenses than any other ND QB since Brady Quinn......and yes the other considerations are significant as well....

Yep...I noted that right after he signed...and I "assumed" this review (haven't had time to read it) would must definitely have used that information as well.

DYK: Wimbush's midseason replacement this year did not face ONE Top 45 Defense until the CFP Semi-final game....where ND scored just 3 pts.

Kind of late...ever notice in the NFL, HC's changed QB's many times when they have a very favorable match-up? (i.e. helps set up the new QB for success).

So far, it APPEARS that Frost called better passIing plays for the offensive personnel, but things could change.

Sounds like you are ONLY comparing Frost's 2nd year (and the player's 2nd year) offense with Heupel's FIRST year offense.

UCF took a large step up in Frost's 2nd year...while in Heupel's first year...the team was extremely successful.

NOTE: While its a gamble (Heupel likes to throw deep much more so than Frost), many miss out on the point is that threat/style helps teams play DEEP, which opens up a lot more running lanes...as evidence by UCF's great success in 2018 in running the ball.

Sure its a different style than Frost (who liked a shorter passing game), but both can and are successful.

2 different ways to skin a cat.

Yep...I noted that right after he signed...and I "assumed" this review (haven't had time to read it) would must definitely have used that information as well.

DYK: Wimbush's midseason replacement this year did not face ONE Top 45 Defense until the CFP Semi-final game....where ND scored just 3 pts.

Kind of late...ever notice in the NFL, HC's changed QB's many times when they have a very favorable match-up? (i.e. helps set up the new QB for success).
Facing good defenses isn’t an excuse for missing open throws. He also had a two top 10 picks on his OL and one of them is an all pro as a rookie.

Regarding TOP you should read this https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/defense-and-rest-time

I absolutely knew that you or someone else was going to throw the 12-1 and 6th ranked argument at me.

That’s actually a very weak argument, because once we lose another game or 2, because of the reasons that I have described, all of those wonderful stats mean nothing practically and all can get thrown into the toilet.

You live by the sword and you die by the sword. If our offense is running as designed then we will have terrible TOP but great offensive production. There is a reason Frost recruited small, faster players. First, we cannot compete with most P5s for those bigger players and second to offset that we needed to be fast and spread out. We are not built to slug it out. There is a reason that Oregon was never able to win a NC. Eventually they would bump up against a team that could hang athletically on D and smash them on O. It is part of the problem with the high tempo offense. But as long as we score more than the other team it does not matter,

So when the offense is tops, TOP is bad, by its very nature. So to say we need better TOP while still maintaining the high octane offense I don't get it. When the offense sputters then you have a problem. That has not really been an issue at this point, and in the AAC I don't see it being an issue for a while.

It is normal to lose a game or 2 each season. We have been very very spoiled. The only game that we were not able to control the line of scrimmage in the last two years was LSU.

Wait...are you saying there’s more coming??

[banana][banana][banana]
Doing an offensive season recap. Going to have all individual performances. But primarily an going to look at Heupels situational PC, personnel usage and that good stuff in order to explain the value of analytics in understanding what’s best in situations for the offense.

If anyone is interested about anything I’ll include it as well. Should be done Tuesday

Doing an offensive season recap. Going to have all individual performances. But primarily an going to look at Heupels situational PC, personnel usage and that good stuff in order to explain the value of analytics in understanding what’s best in situations for the offense.

If anyone is interested about anything I’ll include it as well. Should be done Tuesday
Looking forward to this next one! I'm really interested in finding out if our offense is more successful with 2 RBs or 2 TEs on the field after the full season.

While its a gamble (Heupel likes to throw deep much more so than Frost), many miss out on the point is that threat/style helps teams play DEEP, which opens up a lot more running lanes...as evidence by UCF's great success in 2018 in running the ball.

YES! BW has a great arm and is a great rusher........this is precisely why he is gonna do extremely well in CJH scheme regardless of the potential accuracy issues. The running game will be even better with BW under center.......

:cool2:

Reactions: Mikesi
giphy.gif

Any idea why that is? Does it confuse defenses presnap or is it something post? Does it matter where RBs are presnap? Or is this impossible to tell?
It all matters really. Just like any other sport, you're trying to create an advantage in your matchups.

"11" personnel has become the "normal" thing in football now and what almost every single coach uses the most.

McCvay uses it on almost every play, but it works for him because he's so damn creative and will line up his players anywhere despite their personnel. His schemes and motion use is also on another level.

Using 2 tight ends, the defense will think run, which is common and why passing out of it is so effective.

Two RB's, you can line them both up in the backfield, split one out creating a mismatch. You also take away the rushing direction. Out of shotgun, you pretty much tip which way the rush is going to go. Which is why using the pistol is so smart.

Bottom line is, you want to have your best players on the field as much as you can. That's not using 1 RB, 1 TE, and 3 WR for every team and I think everyone will agree that this isn't the case for UCF.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Sounds like you are ONLY comparing Frost's 2nd year (and the player's 2nd year) offense with Heupel's FIRST year offense.

UCF took a large step up in Frost's 2nd year...while in Heupel's first year...the team was extremely successful.
I keep hearing this, but there is absolutely no hard evidence to say that a coach’s 2nd year offense is going to be better than the first year.

It may very well happen. However, there are different players (especially at QB), different opposition, and there is now lots of film as well that they have on Heupel’s offense. There were many times this year that the offense seemed stalled or out of sync. If this continues without the proper adjustments, we will have issues next year.

The long bomb offense strategy may be the greatest thing ever, but it has a high failure rate. That’s all I’m saying

You live by the sword and you die by the sword. If our offense is running as designed then we will have terrible TOP but great offensive production. There is a reason Frost recruited small, faster players. First, we cannot compete with most P5s for those bigger players and second to offset that we needed to be fast and spread out. We are not built to slug it out. There is a reason that Oregon was never able to win a NC. Eventually they would bump up against a team that could hang athletically on D and smash them on O. It is part of the problem with the high tempo offense. But as long as we score more than the other team it does not matter,

So when the offense is tops, TOP is bad, by its very nature. So to say we need better TOP while still maintaining the high octane offense I don't get it. When the offense sputters then you have a problem. That has not really been an issue at this point, and in the AAC I don't see it being an issue for a while.
I’ll take those Oregon offense teams anytime. Even when they were beat, it was rare and generally close.

Your sort of agreeing with me in a way. The problem is that the OFFENSE DID SPUTTER quite a bit. Go back and look at the games.

The problem is that the TOP was 126th because of the above offensive issues and not because it was clicking. This wore the defense down and next year we are even thinner on the defensive line

If it was clicking, the TOP would be significantly better. I fully realize that winning the TOP battle is not OUR offense

Last edited:
I keep hearing this, but there is absolutely no hard evidence to say that a coach’s 2nd year offense is going to be better than the first year.

It may very well happen. However, there are different players (especially at QB), different opposition, and there is now lots of film as well that they have on Heupel’s offense. There were many times this year that the offense seemed stalled or out of sync. If this continues without the proper adjustments, we will have issues next year.

The long bomb offense strategy may be the greatest thing ever, but it has a high failure rate. That’s all I’m saying

Sure home run threat isn't nearly as efficient as short passing game but throwing DEEP opens up space for the running game to flourish.

Reactions: Mikesi

Actually, the list is quite long in regards to play callers 2nd season improvement to their first.

Heck, last 2 UCF HC's prior to Heupel, offense had HUGE improvement in Year 2 over Year 1:

2004-2005 Under OLeary staff.

2016-2017 Under Frost staff.

In 2019, a dependable QB will have to take the leadership reigns while working with some new OL pieces that have to gel quickly.

I expect DL to improve after a few games too.

Competition, competition, competition...Options, options, options...we have that now at the QB position :) Mack, BW and Gabriel (long shot Milton)!

NOTE: While its a gamble (Heupel likes to throw deep much more so than Frost), many miss out on the point is that threat/style helps teams play DEEP, which opens up a lot more running lanes...as evidence by UCF's great success in 2018 in running the ball.

Sure its a different style than Frost (who liked a shorter passing game), but both can and are successful.

2 different ways to skin a cat.

Good point. Many forget the questionable calls Frost made his first year.

Good point. Many forget the questionable calls Frost made his first year.

Well in Frost defense in Year 1, new system, new plays and sometimes the right plays were called but execution was poor.

Same with Heupel in Year 1.

There's a reason why players that are in Year 3, 4 or 5 in the same system can become very efficient...as that's the only system they knew.

Last edited:

It is normal to lose a game or 2 each season. We have been very very spoiled. The only game that we were not able to control the line of scrimmage in the last two years was LSU.

The Oregon offense ran the ball more and had more high percentage passes that let the clock run. Also, Frost didn’t always snap the ball right away (unless we had the lead :mad:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT