ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at Brandon Wimbush's actual football performances.. I charted all 443 dropbacks (gifs)

Money_Milton

Five-Star Recruit
Dec 15, 2017
http://power6analytics.com/2624-2/

I lied, I'm back.

Figured this was a high topic of interest and would've liked to have got this done last week when it was still really popular, but was extremely busy with work.

You can kind of guess my thoughts if you read this, but I didn't include my opinion in anything because I doubt anyone really cares.

The only thing I'll say is try and look at the numbers from a perspective of a blind resume. You don't know who the player is/who he played for/his "rivals grade from 4 years ago" that should have 0 impact of how you think he is as a player now.

I won't argue either way. But, if you want some actual Quarterback numbers outside of the dumb box score stats, here ya go.

Also lots of gifs, lots of em, both good and bad.

http://power6analytics.com/2624-2/

I lied, I'm back.

Figured this was a high topic of interest and would've liked to have got this done last week when it was still really popular, but was extremely busy with work.

You can kind of guess my thoughts if you read this, but I didn't include my opinion in anything because I doubt anyone really cares.

The only thing I'll say is try and look at the numbers from a perspective of a blind resume. You don't know who the player is/who he played for/his "rivals grade from 4 years ago" that should have 0 impact of how you think he is as a player now.

I won't argue either way. But, if you want some actual Quarterback numbers outside of the dumb box score stats, here ya go.

Also lots of gifs, lots of em, both good and bad.
Great work, you are so close to getting that job offer from the Sentinel!

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
The sentinel doesn’t care about hard working journalists who provide relevant information. His talents would be wasted there
haha it was a joke... someone on here told me I was annoying and a wannabe Brandon or sentinel writer.

This is far from journalism, nor do I want anything do with journalism it's just the best way for me to publicly show my work. And of course UCF's great education allows it to look a little professional.

We missed you dearly... Please don't leave us again, we will make changes, I promise...

Great work man!! Did you notice how well Wimbush is pre-snap? Can he read defenses, audible, make the right call on the RPO?

We missed you dearly... Please don't leave us again, we will make changes, I promise...

Great work man!! Did you notice how well Wimbush is pre-snap? Can he read defenses, audible, make the right call on the RPO?
there were a couple of plays I gif'ed of disguised rushes, but only 4 man rushes so not a blitz, where ND's line just had chance. I didn't include em because there was already enough crap. As far as RPO and read options I didn't really watch run plays I kind of just fast forwarded till I got to the pass plays haha. He's an unbelievable runner though so from that aspect I approve.

Reactions: UCFootball14
Thanks for doing the work. Disappointing that he struggles that much but I guess more competition is good. Hopefully he or Mack can put it together through spring practice (or Gabriel for that matter).

Thanks for doing the work. Disappointing that he struggles that much but I guess more competition is good. Hopefully he or Mack can put it together through spring practice (or Gabriel for that matter).
Yeah obviously competition is great. The only thing that worries me is that I’m not sure I know of a grad transfer QB who didn’t at least get a chance to start. It’s kinda the point of being a grad transfer imo, but we’ll see how it plays out.

MM, your analysis as always is great and there is no disputing the data, clearly BW has accuracy issues. Without retracing what I have read with specific links I will paraphrase to provide some rational on why we should still be very excited, none of which has anything to with his recruitment coming out of HS........

Allegedly the ND staff did not bench BW for most of the obvious reasons. He was 13-3 as a starter and put up the only 600 yd+ games (three) they have had over the past 2 years. Going into this past season the ND staff decided they needed to play ball control to keep a suspect D off the field and Book gave them the best chance at that. Book would have started the season but the coaches decided that they needed BW to beat Michigan in the 1st game. After the 1st game he remained in the lineup but he was clearly not a good fit for a ball control scheme so they switched after game 3. Some of the underlying considerations that have been cited of his accuracy issues include suspect QB coaching, not a good fit for the scheme and lack of skilled position players around him....perhaps I am making a leap but I am basing much optimism on our coaches judgement and ability to coach QBs....here is what has been said......

The offensive staff is super excited. They feel they got one of the top two grad transfers on the market (and didn't really see a difference comparing him against Jalen Hurts). They love his athleticism, running ability, frame and arm for the deep ball, which is going to be super important given Heup's love of the vertical passing game. There's also a sense that he will thrive in this system, not only working with Heup and Lebby but having better offensive skill around him than he did at Notre Dame.

And perhaps most importantly, Wimbush is a mature, high-character individual. He won't bring any added drama to the QB room and will always handle himself the right way.

UCF will have a true quarterback competition this spring and summer instead of simply handing the job to Mack. Now, don't discount Mack at all - nothing is being given to or was promised to Wimbush. Mack could still come away with the job. But with only three starts to his name, you really needed another experienced player in the mix.

If you listen to that ND expert on the sons of UCF podcast it’s clear that Wimbush and his threat of running made a gigantic impact on ND’s rushing numbers in 2017 and 2018. Really hard to put that on a stat sheet

Reactions: JAFFX2
How does a running QB
not allow them to control ball?

Hard to play ball control with an ineffective short passing game?....but I didn't make the change and state that as the reason.....according to Eric Hansen, Brian Kelly did

Last edited:
MM, your analysis as always is great and there is no disputing the data, clearly BW has accuracy issues. Without retracing what I have read with specific links I will paraphrase to provide some rational on why we should still be very excited, none of which has anything to with his recruitment coming out of HS........

Allegedly the ND staff did not bench BW for most of the obvious reasons. He was 13-3 as a starter and put up the only 600 yd+ games (three) they have had over the past 2 years. Going into this past season the ND staff decided they needed to play ball control to keep a suspect D off the field and Book gave them the best chance at that. Book would have started the season but the coaches decided that they needed BW to beat Michigan in the 1st game. After the 1st game he remained in the lineup but he was clearly not a good fit for a ball control scheme so they switched after game 3. Some of the underlying considerations that have been cited of his accuracy issues include suspect QB coaching, not a good fit for the scheme and lack of skilled position players around him....perhaps I am making a leap but I am basing much optimism on our coaches judgement and ability to coach QBs....here is what has been said......

The offensive staff is super excited. They feel they got one of the top two grad transfers on the market (and didn't really see a difference comparing him against Jalen Hurts). They love his athleticism, running ability, frame and arm for the deep ball, which is going to be super important given Heup's love of the vertical passing game. There's also a sense that he will thrive in this system, not only working with Heup and Lebby but having better offensive skill around him than he did at Notre Dame.

And perhaps most importantly, Wimbush is a mature, high-character individual. He won't bring any added drama to the QB room and will always handle himself the right way.

UCF will have a true quarterback competition this spring and summer instead of simply handing the job to Mack. Now, don't discount Mack at all - nothing is being given to or was promised to Wimbush. Mack could still come away with the job. But with only three starts to his name, you really needed another experienced player in the mix.
No doubt Wimbush is an unbelievably dangerous runner.. I mentioned that in my writing and it was a reason I didn't chart his designed runs because it's fairly obvious. He's probably a top 3, maybe even 1, in terms of most dangerous QB's in the run game.

Also, high character and a great kid is what I've read as well and that seems to be accurate which is awesome, no denying that.

I think Hurts and Wimbush might've been the only two grad transfer QB's outside of Austin Kendall (OU backup) so I hope they feel like they got one of the top 2 haha. I also charted Hurts and wrote about him as well, but didn't post it here.

Everything you said about, frame, athletic ability and big arm, also accurate. But, that doesn't equal a good quarterback imo. The traits of the potential to be one, yes, but until I see it, I'll believe it. He threw a deep ball on over 22% so it's not like it's something he didn't do at ND.

And then the QB change... I'm reading it as, it's hard to have consistent offensive success with a QB who is consistently inaccurate. Playing ball control while have a running QB seems ideal, so the only way to actually read into it is, it's hard to have a consistent offense without an accurate QB (at all depths of the field).

I try not to read what coaches say because you can't believe it all and therefore you don't know what is actually true and what isn't.

As far there being nothing promised to Wimbush, the only people who truly know what was said to Wimbush during his recruitment are him, his family, and the coaches. I'm all for it if there is an open competition, my only thought on this is I don't know a grad transfer QB who didn't get an opportunity to start, it's kind of the point of being a grad transfer.

Tried to include the points from everyone in here.

Just my thoughts

appreciate this and Knightman's sims but I do think it's not a homer take to think there are factors that could make him a better QB at UCF. The average defenses he faced, skill speed, more wide open busts, WRs split wide, etc.

It also all depends how Heup playcalls bc I think every QB is going to struggle with completion percentage if he stays stubborn on throwing that many verticals along the sideline. Not many QBs at any level have enough accuracy to consistently hit those.

...As far there being nothing promised to Wimbush, the only people who truly know what was said to Wimbush during his recruitment are him, his family, and the coaches. I'm all for it if there is an open competition, my only thought on this is I don't know a grad transfer QB who didn't get an opportunity to start, it's kind of the point of being a grad transfer.
I agree, he didn’t transfer to sit. He must think he’s got a good shot at winning the job (be it confidence, input from coaches, etc ..who knows).

The way our first two opponents lay out, I expect to see healthy doses of both. The “real” starter for 2019 will be whoever gets the nod against Stanford for game #3.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Wimbush had plenty of offensive weapons around him. He simply couldn't throw accurate mid range passes or short, quick passes. If he works the summer and our coaches can get him to improve there, watch out.

Questions:
1) How many pass attempts per game is he use to? Can a higher pass attempts offense be helpful to him?
2) He seems to try to muscle passes some times? Can the QB coach help him with his over throws?
3) How will he operate a RPO where he's running 40-50% of time?
4) How is he with short passes?
5) Will learning the new offense hurt his performance?
6) How will Mack improve in the off season?

Basic comment many already know is he has a great arm but needs to be more consistent. His running skills may get him the starting position over Mack if they both perform similar in the passing game. Don't want to start true freshmen next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight_Light
UF brought in Malik Zaire from ND as a grad transfer in 2017. I recall him having similar traits to Wimbush. Zaire was a big bust for us, but we also had the SwampDonkey as a coach who knew nothing about coaching qb's. I think Heupel will do much better with Wimbush.

Reactions: ahabmw
I havent read your article yet, but will when i get the chance. I just want to add my honest gut feeling i get from him is that he will find a way to elude defenders more often that not. That said, i get disappointed when i see him step back to throw only for him to take the run option. With our receivers and our pace, i hope that problem is reduced.

I agree, he didn’t transfer to sit. He must think he’s got a good shot at winning the job (be it confidence, input from coaches, etc ..who knows).

The way our first two opponents lay out, I expect to see healthy doses of both. The “real” starter for 2019 will be whoever gets the nod against Stanford for game #3.

I would like to think the decision is made long before the third game.........the team doesn't need the distraction of a QB competition after the season starts and I think CJH is entirely too smart for that to be his strategy.....

I do think it's not a homer take to think there are factors that could make him a better QB at UCF. The average defenses he faced, skill speed, more wide open busts, WRs split wide, etc.

Just looking at the average defenses he faced......he played against 8 ranked teams several of which had top 10-12 defenses. The point has been made that BW has played against more highly ranked defenses than any other ND QB since Brady Quinn......and yes the other considerations are significant as well....

I don't think BW was brought in to be a starter. I think he was brought in to have a QB with lots of experience as a back up. If somehow he is able to win the job it is a bonus. I am sure BW thinks that he can do just that. Having him here is really good on many levels. I think Mack is going to beat him out personally.

@Money_Milton awesome job.

I don't think BW was brought in to be a starter. I think he was brought in to have a QB with lots of experience as a back up. If somehow he is able to win the job it is a bonus. I am sure BW thinks that he can do just that. Having him here is really good on many levels. I think Mack is going to beat him out personally.

:joy::joy::joy:

Reactions: SullyUCF10

@Money_Milton awesome job.

He was brought in to eliminate the risk of going 8-4 during a potential transition year with a QB who only has 3 starts.......the coaches didn't go for a one and done with the hopes of landing a capable backup. That is not why coaches pursue graduate transfers......

Reactions: G8RLegist
He was brought in to eliminate the risk of going 8-4 during a potential transition year with a QB who only has 3 starts.......
I don't understand the fascination with stars. Something that was invented to sell magazines and web clicks. Watching BW's film I don't see anything more than what DJ has shown. He has just had more time to do it.

I don't understand the fascination with stars. Something that was invented to sell magazines and web clicks. Watching BW's film I don't see anything more than what DJ has shown. He has just had more time to do it.
Starts not stars. Basically we don't truly know what we have with Mack yet.

Reactions: JAFFX2

I never said a single word about stars!

Last edited:
Starts not stars. Basically we don't truly know what we have with Mack yet.
Oops yes, I missed that. I agree that we don't know, but he did more than passable work in all three IMHO. With this being his second year in the system and the third with tempo I think he has the advantage over BW. Physically they are similar

He was brought in to eliminate the risk of going 8-4 during a potential transition year with a QB who only has 3 starts.......the coaches didn't go for a one and done with the hopes of landing a capable backup. That is not why coaches pursue graduate transfers......

Why not do a one and done with a grad for backup? Especially when your other backups are either not showing the progression or will be incoming true freshman. What have you got to lose?

emily-litella-never-mind-meme-6.jpg

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
I don't think BW was brought in to be a starter. I think he was brought in to have a QB with lots of experience as a back up..
If you were Wimbush and only had one year left of college ball, would you even consider transferring to a school where you would be a back up?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT