ADVERTISEMENT

Made-up UConn football rivalry with UCF over, but trophy still missing

We threw it in Lake Claire after burning it:

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: UCFBS
It’s probably on display in the UConn janitor’s living room, after he plucked it out of the trash can.

Somebody GOT DAT sucka afta da game (when is was left on the bench) :)
Hey...They found Tom Brady's Jersey right?........then they can find the trophy!
I still think the whole North-South trophy thing with UCONN is a cool idea.
This is how traditions get created! hey...they have to start somewhere! :)

The best part of this "rivalry", if it ever becomes one, will be the incident where we left it there.
That will be top 10 UCF lore on ESPN some 25 years from now.
They already have it on video ... right down to the big, animated 'arrow' showing we left it post-game.

Remember when we all said the USF-UCF game was dead. "No interest by either fan base anymore." It's baaack.
Not sure when "we" ever mentioned that we didn't want to play USF. Now you're just making stuff up. "We all" is such a hyberbole. Actually, I'll go as far as saying I NEVER heard that. Fans were dying to get that game back.

Think the only people that didn't wanna keep the game going was USF, because they thought they were above us.
True, but I think it was more Genshaft than their fans. Wanted to play the big 3 who now don't want to play USF. Not sure why fans wouldn't want it.

We were 0-4 in the series, but it became more intriguing once we started winning and they were failing. Then of course we now play in the same conference.

Think the only people that didn't wanna keep the game going was USF, because they thought they were above us.
But after their coach and star QB left, USF went quickly downhill while UCF was playing in bowls and winning C-USA championships, so the tables were turned. USF didn't dare want to play us again (even though we'd never beaten them) because they were in a top conference. After this 6 year hiatus, only when finally got invited into what was left of the old Big East and began playing each other again (and even then, we were trouncing them) did the I-4 battle attraction return.

But after their coach and star QB left, USF went quickly downhill while UCF was playing in bowls and winning C-USA championships, so the tables were turned. USF didn't dare want to play us again (even though we'd never beaten them) because they were in a top conference. After this 6 year hiatus, only when finally got invited into what was left of the old Big East and began playing each other again (and even then, we were trouncing them) did the I-4 battle attraction return.
Playing USF was always a crowd draw. Even when they sucked it was great to pound them! I think the biggest crowd draw comes when we are good and they are good.

Reactions: Mikesi
Playing USF was always a crowd draw. Even when they sucked it was great to pound them! I think the biggest crowd draw comes when we are good and they are good.
I'm still waiting for the day that both teams are good or play with a ranking
The closest that we were to that was in 2007 and they pounded us 64-12.
That crowd was 65,000 or 66,000. That proves your point. What AAC university would turn that crowd down?
It's repeatable

I'm still waiting for the day that both teams are good or play with a ranking
The closest that we were to that was in 2007 and they pounded us 64-12.
That crowd was 65,000 or 66,000. That proves your point. What AAC university would turn that crowd down?
It's repeatable
Yeah....that was such a sad day in my life! I'll never forget it! IF WE EVER GET A CHANCE TO RUN UP THE SCORE ON THEM...I want it. Willie Taggert was scum! Scum I tell you! We have to beat them this year because of STRONG!! Remember the game in Loser-ville CHarlie!!!!!

Yeah....that was such a sad day in my life! I'll never forget it! IF WE EVER GET A CHANCE TO RUN UP THE SCORE ON THEM...I want it. Willie Taggert was scum! Scum I tell you! We have to beat them this year because of STRONG!! Remember the game in Loser-ville CHarlie!!!!!
Yes. We can't run it up on Taggert as promised, so we can take it out on STRONG!!!

Anyone who ever said that the UCF-USF game was not a rivalry or was no longer valid was just stupid. It is the single most important game for both teams every year. For USF it is the only thing they can claim as their own as they have never won a conference championship or anything or real meaning

I'll find it when I get home tonight. Work is locked down, and phone isn't always easy. But yes, it was damn funny ... red bouncing arrow and all, on ESPN.
Damn if I can find it. Sigh ...

Anyone who ever said that the UCF-USF game was not a rivalry or was no longer valid was just stupid. It is the single most important game for both teams every year. For USF it is the only thing they can claim as their own as they have never won a conference championship or anything or real meaning
Absolutely. I live for this game. Especially after 2007. Some say it's the only game we NEED to win.

Was it Taggert or Levitt or other that ran up the score?.........I think Taggert ran up the score another time, not the 63-whatever game. Over?

UCF 2007 Conf USA Record,
Jim Leavitt era (1997–2009)

9/1 @ North Carolina State (5-7) W 25 23
9/15 vs. Texas (10-3) L 32 35
9/22 vs. *Memphis (7-6) W 56 20
9/29 vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (3-9) W 37 19
10/6 @ *East Carolina (8-5) L 38 52
10/13 @ South Florida (9-4) L 12 64
10/20 vs. *Tulsa (10-4) W 44 23
10/28 @ *Southern Mississippi (7-6) W 34 17
11/3 vs. *Marshall (3-9) W 47 13
11/10 @ *Alabama-Birmingham (2-10) W 45 31
11/17 @ *Southern Methodist (1-11) W 49 20
11/24 vs. *Texas-El Paso (4-8) W 36 20
12/1 vs. *Tulsa (10-4) W 44 25 CUSA Championship
12/29 vs. Mississippi State (8-5) L 3 10

Still can't believe we lost that bowl game.
Honestly, it was because Kyle Israel was putrid and everyone knew the ball
was going to be handed off every play to Kevin Smith. In the second half many believe that he sprained his ankle and that sealed our fate. He had 75 yards at halftime which he often did in some of his biggest games.

Was it Taggert or Levitt or other that ran up the score?.........I think Taggert ran up the score another time, not the 63-whatever game. Over?
Taggert ran up the score last year with a meaningless touchdown at the end. Similar, but not as blatant as vs ECU

Hopefully USC will teach him a lesson this year.

The 64-12 was just a massacre. They weren't even to trying to score at the end.

Honestly, it was because Kyle Israel was putrid and everyone knew the ball
was going to be handed off every play to Kevin Smith. In the second half many believe that he sprained his ankle and that sealed our fate. He had 75 yards at halftime which he often did in some of his biggest games.
That was the GOL play calling. Plain vanilla at every meal. Not an ounce of surprise in the play calling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT