ADVERTISEMENT

Marlon Mack declares for NFL draft

Their Offense loses 2(Adams & Mack) out of 3 proven home run hitters, it will help defenses next season defend the Flowers run game.
This. I wouldn't let him breathe. Totally game plan for him. Have someone mirror him and let someone else beat you. Just like 2-3 teams did this year to Lamar Jackson. Let him earn being a Heisman candidate if he truly is one

Flowers needs to develop his passing game if he wants to play QB in the pros. His new coach will try to do that. Overall, Flowers is already as good as the Jackson, despite Jackson superior throwing mechanics.

He will probably go in rounds 4-6 depending on his 40 time and size. There have been many better RBs who were drafted suprisingly later than predicted.

Found a pic of Charlie's cake
fallen-chocolate-cake.jpg

Thanks, Ace. I must admit I frequent this forum more than TheBullsPen (used to be a mod over there) but I usually stick to The Water Cooler. I will stay back there as not to ruffle any more feathers, heh...

Flowers will be a RB or slot WR (Anquan Boldin type) in the NFL
Unless his new coach can raise his passing game enough for some coach to fit him into their system (Seattle?)
Perhaps loss of RBs may encourage USF to go more to the pass

Unless his new coach can raise his passing game enough for some coach to fit him into their system (Seattle?)
Perhaps loss of RBs may encourage USF to go more to the pass
It will be interesting. Flower's pass game inproved greatly this year with the hiring or Shaun King as the QB coach. He's now moving to RB coach with the new hirings but he will still have an influence on Flowers, I'm sure.

But, newly hired Gilbert is a genius. Both he and Mattox almost went to Ole Miss to coach there but Strong convinced them to come with him. I'm very interested to see how he manages Flowers. Maybe he does get more of the pass game going. Who knows? But I don't think they will have to out of necessity. Tice should/could get a medical redshirt and come back and then D'Ernest is a 4-star running back who was sitting behind Mack and getting PT so I think the run game will be just fine.

Funny that you mention Seattle since a former QB of ours played a little bit for them (BJ Daniels). Both Flowers' and Daniels' games are very similar, although Daniels had the stronger arm.

Funny that you mention Seattle since a former QB of ours played a little bit for them (BJ Daniels). Both Flowers' and Daniels' games are very similar, although Daniels had the stronger arm.
Daniels did have a rocket for an arm and an NFL frame. He just never developed to his potential.

Daniels did have a rocket for an arm and an NFL frame. He just never developed to his potential.
You're right. I think that was in part due to teams not really knowing what to do with him so he couldn't really develop into anything. They wanted him because of his athleticism and versatility but he didn't do one thing great. They used him at QB, WR and kick returner. He's bounced all over. Last I heard, he was with the Falcons.

Flowers is good, but not great. He feels pretty maxed out on potential and not even close to Heisman candidate

Flowers is good, but not great. He feels pretty maxed out on potential and not even close to Heisman candidate
He's not great as in NFL potential, but college level he's pretty special. Just awarded the 2017 College Football Performance Awards National Performer of the Year. The same award that Derrick Henry, Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston award.

He's not great as in NFL potential, but college level he's pretty special. Just awarded the 2017 College Football Performance Awards National Performer of the Year. The same award that Derrick Henry, Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston award.

It's a good group to be in

He's developed into what Jeff Godfrey should have been his So/Jr years (but failed to do)

It's a good group to be in

He's developed into what Jeff Godfrey should have been his So/Jr years (but failed to do)

Jeff just could not see over the line well enough to be effective. So when teams started penning him in he was neutralized. Flowers has the height to be a threat with the short passes. Keeps the defense honest. He should have a big year next year provided Strong does not force him into a new offense.

Jeff just could not see over the line well enough to be effective. So when teams started penning him in he was neutralized. Flowers has the height to be a threat with the short passes. Keeps the defense honest. He should have a big year next year provided Strong does not force him into a new offense.
How tall was Jeff? Flowers is listed at only 6' and I can tell you this much just by standing next to him...there is no way he's 6'...

Flowers is a very talented player. I hate USF, but he is all that. Time will tell if he continues to flourish under Strong without all his other weapons

How tall was Jeff? Flowers is listed at only 6' and I can tell you this much just by standing next to him...there is no way he's 6'...

He was listed at 5'11 and I'd say it's close to accurate

Similar sized guys

He was listed at 5'11 and I'd say it's close to accurate

Similar sized guys
I absolutely don't think that they are similar size in height or weight. Flowers is a very solid maybe 6 foot or slightly less 205-210. Godfrey was like 5'10 175-185 with a much slighter build.

Flowers was clearly faster, quicker, and throws a better ball. Very tough to bring down as well.

Not even close??? No way. He's probably in the top 10-15. 5-10 if it wasn't for P5 bias.

Rushing- 1530 yards at 7.7 a clip including sack loss yardage is sick. That's like 9 yards a rush.

Passing- 24 touchdowns and 7 picks. 2807 yards.

62.5% completion percentage.

Last edited:
I absolutely don't think that they are similar size in height or weight. Flowers is a very solid maybe 6 foot or slightly less 205-210. Godfrey was like 5'10 175-185 with a much slighter build.

I think you're going off some skewed memories or something. I've been around JG multiple times and he was every bit or very close to listed height and weight. QF is visibly a little bulkier, but it can also be said that pad and helmet sizes shrink almost every year as technology changes. The only point was that they're pretty similar sized guys - neither is Ben Roethlisberger or even Blake Bortles

Not even close??? No way. He's probably in the top 10-15. 5-10 if it wasn't for P5 bias.

Rushing- 1530 yards at 7.7 a clip including sack loss yardage is sick. That's like 9 yards a rush.

Passing- 24 touchdowns and 7 picks. 2807 yards.

62.5% completion percentage.

Good numbers, for sure and a very good QB. Not quite elite or a realistic Heisman trophy winner. That factor of pure dominance just isn't there.

That said, Lamar Jackson won while not really being the best leader and failing to win big games consistently. For those reasons, his win wasn't the right decision in my mind. Still, QF isn't on Lamar Jackson's level athletically, so it's a tough comparison.

It's not outside the realm of possibility for him to be in the final voting... who knows, maybe he has a monster offseason and 2017. But for me based on what I've seen, QF just doesn't fit the Heisman profile.

I think you're going off some skewed memories or something. I've been around JG multiple times and he was every bit or very close to listed height and weight. QF is visibly a little bulkier, but it can also be said that pad and helmet sizes shrink almost every year as technology changes. The only point was that they're pretty similar sized guys - neither is Ben Roethlisberger or even Blake Bortles

Good numbers, for sure and a very good QB. Not quite elite or a realistic Heisman trophy winner. That factor of pure dominance just isn't there.

That said, Lamar Jackson won while not really being the best leader and failing to win big games consistently. For those reasons, his win wasn't the right decision in my mind. Still, QF isn't on Lamar Jackson's level athletically, so it's a tough comparison.

It's not outside the realm of possibility for him to be in the final voting... who knows, maybe he has a monster offseason and 2017. But for me based on what I've seen, QF just doesn't fit the Heisman profile.
I think 20-25 lbs and 2 inches is a pretty significant difference at that position and at that size. I've seen them both play in person, so it is what it is.

I'm not sure what you mean about helmet sizes. They don't measure players with a helmet on. Godfrey just graduated in 2013/2014.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT