ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile in Nebraska...

One coach's wife told me "the best way to get over a loss is to enjoy a nice pool day on Sunday".

If...IF...UCF had lost last night...temps today in the Orlando area will reach 90-91 degrees so many will be enjoying a beautiful pool day today.

Well...for Mrs Frost, here is how today and the rest of the week looks as October finally comes to an end:

Lincoln-NE-7-day-weather.png

Ouch! Welcome to October in Lincoln!

With 3 snow days/nights coming up and temps dipping into the teens on Halloween, I'm guessing she will not be enjoying a pool day this week in Lincoln.

As that famous saying goes: "Money can't buy you happiness if you have to live in Lincoln, NE".

His offense will not successful in the Big 10.....3 and out then 12 play drive by the opposition is not going to work. Although yesterday it was a classic Chins game and the defense you could not stop anything.

His offense will not successful in the Big 10.....3 and out then 12 play drive by the opposition is not going to work. Although yesterday it was a classic Chins game and the defense you could not stop anything.
Wisconsin Badger??? Can you please do us a favor and destroy them in Lincoln? [cheers]

Frost is recruiting skilled position players. You need linemen in the Big-10

It’s like his old Oregon offense going up against the old Stanford every week

Reactions: JAFFX2
One coach's wife told me "the best way to get over a loss is to enjoy a nice pool day on Sunday".

If...IF...UCF had lost last night...temps today in the Orlando area will reach 90-91 degrees so many will be enjoying a beautiful pool day today.

Well...for Mrs Frost, here is how today and the rest of the week looks as October finally comes to an end:

Lincoln-NE-7-day-weather.png

Ouch! Welcome to October in Lincoln!

With 3 snow days/nights coming up and temps dipping into the teens on Halloween, I'm guessing she will not be enjoying a pool day this week in Lincoln.

As that famous saying goes: "Money can't buy you happiness if you have to live in Lincoln, NE".
Maybe Mrs Frost likes hot tubs

Wisconsin Badger??? Can you please do us a favor and destroy them in Lincoln? [cheers]

Knight through and through (under grad and masters)...was born up there so by blood I have to support them, just like being a Packer fan.

After seeing what Minnesota’s run game did to them I am think Taylor might be able break the single game rushing record

One thing I saw a Notre Dame fan mention before that I think applies to Nebraska is the overlooked factor of having most of your players from out of State far from home in California, Florida, etc and how that effects the team chemistry & mental state during the season. A lot of their players on any off days will try to fly home where at UCF you have a lot of players that stick around or live near each other to hang out and work out.

If you have seen that Lawrence Phillips documentary even he got homesick when he was losing it and drove home to California in the middle of the night.

9 offensive linemen recruited last year and through half of this year is higher than average. He isn't focusing on skill position players, he's flipping the entire roster.

Reactions: Yaes
I personally think places like Columbus, Madison, and Ann Arbor are better located and nicer than Lincoln. Based on experience and what I’m hearing about Lincoln. I’ve never been there

For the most part, but not exclusively, California and Florida kids don’t like to be in the cold in the middle of nowhere

9 offensive linemen recruited last year and through half of this year is higher than average. He isn't focusing on skill position players, he's flipping the entire roster.
I see 2 on the 2018 rivals recruiting site. 6 in 2019

He’s not going to get enough quality linemen to compete with Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio State. Not with his offense. It’s more attractive to guys like Martinez, Mcafferty, and Robinson

I see 2 on the 2018 rivals recruiting site. 6 in 2019

He’s not going to get enough quality linemen to compete with Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio State. Not with his offense. It’s more attractive to guys like Martinez, Mcafferty, and Robinson

This is a weird take. Ohio st runs a similar offense so they should have problems recruiting linemen as well. Frost recruited 6 last year and 3 so far this year, with 2 of the guys being very highly rated and pursued. Nebraska's oline problems are a result of the last guy just doing a terrible job of identifying talent, not frost ignoring the position in favor of skill position players.

This is a weird take. Ohio st runs a similar offense so they should have problems recruiting linemen as well. Frost recruited 6 last year and 3 so far this year, with 2 of the guys being very highly rated and pursued. Nebraska's oline problems are a result of the last guy just doing a terrible job of identifying talent, not frost ignoring the position in favor of skill position players.
There were 2 offensive line recruits in 2018. Look it up. NGEbraska can’t compete with Ohio State and the last 2 years hasn’t helped
I was hearing about all this preseason talent on defense from fans visiting our site and the defense is terrible

When was the last time a Nebraska offensive lineman was drafted. Compare that to Ohio State and Wisconsin

Last edited:
What’s wrong with this list?? Hmmm. High ranking is fool’s gold. A mirage. Then you guys worry about the line play and defense. 2018 recruits are now sophomores or Redshirt Freshmen. They should be contributing, but it’s scarce

https://nebraska.rivals.com/commitments/football/2018

Last edited:
but doesn't he purposely want linemen to cut weight? maybe long term that won't work in that league

compare the weight of Ohio State's OLine's to Nebraska's

Reactions: JAFFX2 and Ucfmikes
but doesn't he purposely want linemen to cut weight? maybe long term that won't work in that league

compare the weight of Ohio State's OLine's to Nebraska's

No, he wants them to be in the 310-330 range. 2018s recruiting class was a product of Riley not going after any linemen and frost having only about a month to find guys that fit his system. Linemen require more development than skill position players, and coming in frost had zero qbs, zero running backs, and only 2 receivers on the roster to make his system work. He had to spend more effort on filling those holes first and hoping that the linemen on the roster were going to have some level of development to work with. Since he started recruiting as an overall team approach, he has brought in more linemen than the average team does.

What’s wrong with this list?? Hmmm. High ranking is fool’s gold. A mirage. Then you guys worry about the line play and defense. 2018 recruits are now sophomores or Redshirt Freshmen. They should be contributing, but it’s scarce

https://nebraska.rivals.com/commitments/football/2018

8 of those recruits are starting already or have started but are injured. That's a pretty high clip for any class in their 2nd year. Look at the 2 previous classes and tell me why there aren't more of those guys contributing.

There were 2 offensive line recruits in 2018. Look it up. NGEbraska can’t compete with Ohio State and the last 2 years hasn’t helped
I was hearing about all this preseason talent on defense from fans visiting our site and the defense is terrible

When was the last time a Nebraska offensive lineman was drafted. Compare that to Ohio State and Wisconsin

The last 3 years have been bad for husker linemen getting drafted thanks to Mike Riley. Prior to that, Nebraska had more linemen taken from 2008 to 2016 than OSU did while running similar offenses.

The last 3 years have been bad for husker linemen getting drafted thanks to Mike Riley. Prior to that, Nebraska had more linemen taken from 2008 to 2016 than OSU did while running similar offenses.

You can spin this any way you want.....the bottom line is that year 2 and he is lucky to make a bowl game......in year 2 he went freaking 13-0 at UCF, beat a very good SEC team and with a much lower starting point.......but hey maybe he will turn things around before he earns all $35M

;)

You can spin this any way you want.....the bottom line is that year 2 and he is lucky to make a bowl game......in year 2 he went freaking 13-0 at UCF, beat a very good SEC team and with a much lower starting point.......but hey maybe he will turn things around before he earns all $35M

;)
I’m trying to tell Crazyhole why NGEbraska sucks, but he just isn’t buying it and coming up with his own reasons :joy:

Oh well..., 8-12 in 2 seasons and the losses to about to be added, means something isn’t right. They will be lucky to win 2 more and Maryland has been playing terribly

;)

Nebraska has money to piss away. $35 million plus all the buyouts. No problem...lol. I just don't think quality athletes want to live in Nebraska unless you get them hookers and blow. Pitino style...

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Frost lived on O’Leary’s OL recruits. Frost’s OL recruits 2016/2017 were: Jordan Johnson, Aaron Dowdell, Christian Beard, Bowman Swanson, Cole Schneider, Samuel Jackson, and Julio Castillo.

4 of the 7 play....the other 3 never really contributed. Not saying they are great. Not saying they are bad either. All these guys are around this year Maybe Frost isn’t good at identifying OL talent.

I’m trying to tell Crazyhole why NGEbraska sucks, but he just isn’t buying it and coming up with his own reasons :joy:

Oh well..., 8-12 in 2 seasons and the losses to about to be added, means something isn’t right. They will be lucky to win 2 more and Maryland has been playing terribly
One of the best features of this board is the ignore feature. It allows me to imagine the excuse machine going on.

Frost lived on O’Leary’s OL recruits. Frost’s OL recruits 2016/2017 were: Jordan Johnson, Aaron Dowdell, Christian Beard, Bowman Swanson, Cole Schneider, Samuel Jackson, and Julio Castillo.

4 of the 7 play....the other 3 never really contributed. Not saying they are great. Not saying they are bad either. All these guys are around this year Maybe Frost isn’t good at identifying OL talent.
2 out of those 4 that are still around were first team all-conference in 2018 though and samuel jackson is definitely on the "hit" list. that's an excellent return. i think the lived on comment is more appropriate for DT recruits. frost recruited like one during his 2 classes: Cholewa, although Kalia Davis grew into a DT (LB recruit).

Reactions: Wings0fred
2 big problems for Frostie:
1. With the transfer portal it's hard to hold onto quality backup QBs in the P5.
2. His DC friendship will be his demise. Never was impressed with style. DC just had a few stars at UCF that bailed out team.

;)
I'm not spinning anything. At first, there were posters here that claimed that nebraska couldn't get skill position players that frost needs to run his offense in lincoln. Now, it's become frost isn't recruiting linemen who can compete in the Big10. The former has been proven false, the latter is a ridiculous proposition. Nebraska sucks because of many reasons but you guys have failed to actually name one that is based on reality.

Nebraska sucks for 3 reasons:

1: transitioning the offense from spread to pro-style to spread option without players that are capable of doing it in the course of 4 years

2. Transitioning to a 3-4 defense without players capable of doing it and thinking Chinander could possibly create a quick-fix.

3. Terrible oline recruiting from 2016-2018 under Riley.

The system is fine, the recruiting is fine. Nebraska is paying for the sins of the past and probably will for 2 more years.

Putting $35 million down on an unknown as HC is also a sin of the recent past. We (UCF) are still in the early stages of seeing how far Frost/Heupel style offenses can take you although it's fun to watch when pass and run are working. With Heupel the teams growth was stunted but hopefully is moving back in the right direction.

I'm not spinning anything. At first, there were posters here that claimed that nebraska couldn't get skill position players that frost needs to run his offense in lincoln. Now, it's become frost isn't recruiting linemen who can compete in the Big10. The former has been proven false, the latter is a ridiculous proposition. Nebraska sucks because of many reasons but you guys have failed to actually name one that is based on reality.

1: transitioning the offense from spread to pro-style to spread option without players that are capable of doing it in the course of 4 years

2. Transitioning to a 3-4 defense without players capable of doing it and thinking Chinander could possibly create a quick-fix.

The system is fine, the recruiting is fine. Nebraska is paying for the sins of the past and probably will for 2 more years.

I don't dispute anything you stated........UCF faced all the same issues, transition from Pro to spread, transition to a 3-4 D, O-line players that didn't fit the scheme......... yet in year 2.......BAM 13-0 and UCF didn't pay $35M......the cold hard reality is that most of us called this and are now snickering a little because it is coming to fruition.......

#NULivinOnAPrayer

I don't dispute anything you stated........UCF faced all the same issues, transition from Pro to spread, transition to a 3-4 D, O-line players that didn't fit the scheme......... yet in year 2.......BAM 13-0 and UCF didn't pay $35M......the cold hard reality is that most of us called this and are now snickering a little because it is coming to fruition.......

#NULivinOnAPrayer
NGEbraska has consistently been ranked in the 20s with recruiting during the Mike Riley and Scott Frost regime. Yet in 2019, they would not be beating at least some teams that UCF was beating in 2017. So... something isn’t right there.

NGEbraska has consistently been ranked in the 20s with recruiting during the Mike Riley and Scott Frost regime. Yet in 2019, they would not be beating at least some teams that UCF was beating in 2017. So... something isn’t right there.

Could it be that Nebraska hasn't won even a conference title since

220px-1999_cover.jpg

It's basically rotten to the core....as not one Nebraska player has a memory of watching Big Red win even a conf title (heck, many weren't even BORN yet).

2 big problems for Frostie:
1. With the transfer portal it's hard to hold onto quality backup QBs in the P5.
2. His DC friendship will be his demise. Never was impressed with style. DC just had a few stars at UCF that bailed out team.
A few is an understatement. That 2017 defense was a force....not in that they stonewalled people but they made play after play after play and caused a ton of important, game-changing turnovers.

Two facts:
1. Record: 8-12 (5-8)
2. Who you've beat: Minnesota, Bethune-Cookman, Illinois (twice). Sparty, South Alabama, NIU, and Northwestern.

You should be able to use the eye test to see if the team is progressing, especially since you're a hardcore fan. When we started an actual football program in 2004 we didn't win a game but you could see the team get better all year long (in my opinion, they looked better than our 2003 team, which went 3-9). After the scandal that got the previous coach fired and players suspended, O'Leary came in and hacked like 35 people from the team (if I remember this correctly) and basically started over from scratch. BTW, I think you'd be impressed that in his first recruiting class, of which he only had like a month or so to recruit because of when he got hired and I think he had a minor heart attack, had 12 OL/DL. He said something to the effect of, "We just need bodies in the trenches. I'll sort out where they fit in later." One went on to play seven years in the NFL, Leger Douzable. Another was an all-pro and at one time the highest paid Guard in the league, Josh Sitton. These were both considered junk recruits by P5 standards.

We didn't win a game in 2015, and by a long ways, that is the worst football team I will ever see play. I hope I never see anything that bad ever again. We had the worst offense in college football (#128), and our defense was ranked #114. For the last 4 games, the players and coaches didn't even look like they cared or were interested to be there. Then 2016 came along and that same group of rejects looked a lot better. You could see the progress even though the results didn't always come through. I thought we could be a 9-10 win team in 2017 if the players made good progressions in the offseason. They did. In fact, they did much better than that. They excelled and I think some of that had to do with how low the program got, and how those kids that were on the 2015 team never wanted to experience that ever again. That 2017 team (to start the season) was approximately 65% recruits that played or were on the team in 2015.

I'm kind of shocked Frosty didn't come in and just load up in the trenches right away. It all starts in the trenches. I would agree because of the situation your 2018 recruiting class suffered some but the dead period is from Dec 16th to Jan 16th so all the staff could have done in that time was contact recruits via phone, email or social media. No in-person contact. That left a two week period between our CCG and the 16th, and I believe they were out visiting kids those weeks because we were having a conniption over it, thinking instead of focusing on our team he was worried about his next team. He said that was the most exhausting two weeks of coaching he ever experienced because he was planning our stuff and recruiting for Nebraska. Still, when uncertain what to get, always get extra trench people and sort them out later. It looks like he did that in 2018, with 12 trench players committed. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet but if you aren't seeing a lot of progress across the board this season I would be getting nervous. Like I said, we saw effort but not always execution in his first season. If things don't start looking markedly different next season, though, I would start to panic. We were a machine in 2017 and 2018. Less of a machine playing a true freshman at QB in 2019 but there is good effort all over the field, just not always good execution. That's going to happen when you graduated half the 2-deep in 2018.

Reactions: Swiv3D
Two facts:
1. Record: 8-12 (5-8)
2. Who you've beat: Minnesota, Bethune-Cookman, Illinois (twice). Sparty, South Alabama, NIU, and Northwestern.

You should be able to use the eye test to see if the team is progressing, especially since you're a hardcore fan. When we started an actual football program in 2004 we didn't win a game but you could see the team get better all year long (in my opinion, they looked better than our 2003 team, which went 3-9). After the scandal that got the previous coach fired and players suspended, O'Leary came in and hacked like 35 people from the team (if I remember this correctly) and basically started over from scratch. BTW, I think you'd be impressed that in his first recruiting class, of which he only had like a month or so to recruit because of when he got hired and I think he had a minor heart attack, had 12 OL/DL. He said something to the effect of, "We just need bodies in the trenches. I'll sort out where they fit in later." One went on to play seven years in the NFL, Leger Douzable. Another was an all-pro and at one time the highest paid Guard in the league, Josh Sitton. These were both considered junk recruits by P5 standards.

We didn't win a game in 2015, and by a long ways, that is the worst football team I will ever see play. I hope I never see anything that bad ever again. We had the worst offense in college football (#128), and our defense was ranked #114. For the last 4 games, the players and coaches didn't even look like they cared or were interested to be there. Then 2016 came along and that same group of rejects looked a lot better. You could see the progress even though the results didn't always come through. I thought we could be a 9-10 win team in 2017 if the players made good progressions in the offseason. They did. In fact, they did much better than that. They excelled and I think some of that had to do with how low the program got, and how those kids that were on the 2015 team never wanted to experience that ever again. That 2017 team (to start the season) was approximately 65% recruits that played or were on the team in 2015.

I'm kind of shocked Frosty didn't come in and just load up in the trenches right away. It all starts in the trenches. I would agree because of the situation your 2018 recruiting class suffered some but the dead period is from Dec 16th to Jan 16th so all the staff could have done in that time was contact recruits via phone, email or social media. No in-person contact. That left a two week period between our CCG and the 16th, and I believe they were out visiting kids those weeks because we were having a conniption over it, thinking instead of focusing on our team he was worried about his next team. He said that was the most exhausting two weeks of coaching he ever experienced because he was planning our stuff and recruiting for Nebraska. Still, when uncertain what to get, always get extra trench people and sort them out later. It looks like he did that in 2018, with 12 trench players committed. I wouldn't throw in the towel yet but if you aren't seeing a lot of progress across the board this season I would be getting nervous. Like I said, we saw effort but not always execution in his first season. If things don't start looking markedly different next season, though, I would start to panic. We were a machine in 2017 and 2018. Less of a machine playing a true freshman at QB in 2019 but there is good effort all over the field, just not always good execution. That's going to happen when you graduated half the 2-deep in 2018.

Good post. As far as the eyeball test goes, I see improvement among several players, but not all. Where I don't see any is among guys who spent 2 or 3 years in a culture of quit and "ice cream with sprinkles" at practice (that's not a joke either). This team has very little leadership among the players, which is probably the biggest difference between UCF 2016-17 and Nebraska 2018-19. You can see the potential among some of the younger guys but its going to take time. Heck, probably the best leader on the team is a guy who transferred in this spring and 3 months later made captain, that should say something about Nebraska's upperclassmen. On top of that, Chins is a total enigma. He can field a squad that plays crazy good one week and then the next week it looks like they didn't even watch game film or practice. In his defense, he has FCS quality players at linebacker so its hard to judge his scheme at this point but he seems incapable of making adjustments during the game and "3rd and Chinander" is even worse than it was when he was at UCF.

Good post. As far as the eyeball test goes, I see improvement among several players, but not all. Where I don't see any is among guys who spent 2 or 3 years in a culture of quit and "ice cream with sprinkles" at practice (that's not a joke either). This team has very little leadership among the players, which is probably the biggest difference between UCF 2016-17 and Nebraska 2018-19. You can see the potential among some of the younger guys but its going to take time. Heck, probably the best leader on the team is a guy who transferred in this spring and 3 months later made captain, that should say something about Nebraska's upperclassmen. On top of that, Chins is a total enigma. He can field a squad that plays crazy good one week and then the next week it looks like they didn't even watch game film or practice. In his defense, he has FCS quality players at linebacker so its hard to judge his scheme at this point but he seems incapable of making adjustments during the game and "3rd and Chinander" is even worse than it was when he was at UCF.
Player leadership is critical to getting complete buy-in for a program.

Also, I’m not sure what to think of Chinander. As you said, super up and down. In ‘17, the defense played well when rested. Maybe it’s more a function of offensive time of possession than his shortcomings?

I think this season is karma for starting the sex offender RB
Lulz. Weak troll post. Washington made some really stupid decisions but he's not a sex offender. Suspended twice and now off the team. They gave the kid chances to straighten up but have now cut him loose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT