ADVERTISEMENT

Minimum wage

Orlando will be going to a de facto $15/hr wage in 2021 as Disney, Universal, Orange Co and the city of Orlando have all agreed to pay workers that. You'll see other employers follow. It will probably spread across the state. So while you guys are arguing about the issue, it is happening.

That's fine, I'm sure they'll do what the Bernie Campaign just did and cut hours or eliminate positions all together.

Woo! Higher minimum wage but my hours were cut 35% and I'm making less now! How great!

That's fine, I'm sure they'll do what the Bernie Campaign just did and cut hours or eliminate positions all together.

Woo! Higher minimum wage but my hours were cut 35% and I'm making less now! How great!

Would you rather be paid more or less per hour?

Pick one:
A.) Make $10/hours and work 36 hours/week ($360)
or
B.) Make $15/hours and work 24 hours/week. ($360)

Would you rather be paid more or less per hour?

Pick one:
A.) Make $10/hours and work 36 hours/week ($360)
or
B.) Make $15/hours and work 24 hours/week. ($360)

Do both offer equal benefits? Job B sounds great until you realize you give up any chance at health insurance and paid time off...

Reactions: UCFWayne
Orlando will be going to a de facto $15/hr wage in 2021 as Disney, Universal, Orange Co and the city of Orlando have all agreed to pay workers that. You'll see other employers follow. It will probably spread across the state. So while you guys are arguing about the issue, it is happening.
im glad a private company looked at their books and decided that is something they can do on their own instead of being forced to do so.

also you realize they keep raising their ticket prices right? didnt bernie sanders just have a problem with his own workers? hes being forced to cut a lot of his workers hours.

Do both offer equal benefits? Job B sounds great until you realize you give up any chance at health insurance and paid time off...

Let's say paid time off is 2 weeks a year? 72 hours/year.

The 12 hours/week saved in Job B gives you 624 hours/year.

That time could be used as vacation time or to get addition work that will pay for health insurance. There is more flexibility.

Last edited:
Most people who support these arbitrary min wage hikes have never ran a business, managed a payroll, or studied basic microeconomic principles.

im glad a private company looked at their books and decided that is something they can do on their own instead of being forced to do so.

also you realize they keep raising their ticket prices right? didnt bernie sanders just have a problem with his own workers? hes being forced to cut a lot of his workers hours.

Policies are usually changed through advocacy. The people demanding $15/hour ultimately forced the hand of private companies and will eventually force the hand of the gov't to follow.

Most people who support these arbitrary min wage hikes have never ran a business, managed a payroll, or studied basic microeconomic principles.

And? Most people (on both sides) who advocate for anything have never run anything that they are advocating for. Health care, minimum wage, alternative fuels, tax cuts, defense spending, infrastructure spending, etc.

Policies are usually changed through advocacy. The people demanding $15/hour ultimately forced the hand of private companies and will eventually force the hand of the gov't to follow.
im ok with advocacy. im ok with the people demanding more from companies. ultimately the market will decide. i dont like the gov making that decision.

And? Most people (on both sides) who advocate for anything have never run anything that they are advocating for. Health care, minimum wage, alternative fuels, tax cuts, defense spending, infrastructure spending, etc.

lol seriously? The economy is the most locally relevant fundamental issue for every American and being forced to arbitrarily pay more overnight for workers thanks to laws passed by morons who have never had to run a business is terrible policy.

lol seriously? The economy is the most locally relevant fundamental issue for every American and being forced to arbitrarily pay more overnight for workers thanks to laws passed by morons who have never had to run a business is terrible policy.

1.) It's not overnight
2.) That is pretty much how we got a minimum wage and how it has increased over time.

I don't think you'll find any rational person that would have a problem with individual businesses and governmental organizations deciding to set their wage floor at any number they deem appropriate. Some may complain about governmental organizations setting it due to political pressure (read: vote pandering) rather than market factors if that then results in an increased demand for funding or a loss in capability/services.

The issue is when the federal government decides what the minimum wage is for every single business in America. This should be a local issue if it's even within the government's powers to do so.

Reactions: UCFWayne
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT