ADVERTISEMENT

New 1-1 Football Series With....

yeah all the National Writers are slamming UCF, even the ones that have been more Pro UCF. It seems like our fanbase is in this defiant bubble going along with this but it could backfire big time in the long term(and once you are not selling undefeated seasons). In FIU's case on top of everything else it's just a really crappy place for a road game, there are Sun Belt Schools with better stadiums and gameday production.
What bubble? We’ve been scheduling this way for over a decade now. The national media live for clicks and UCF makes a good story

What bubble? We’ve been scheduling this way for over a decade now. The national media live for clicks and UCF makes a good story
it's not always UCF Against the World. When we are getting to the point that you can't find anyone not with a link to UCF's Program agreeing with you then we might be in a bubble. In a sport where networking is key for scheduling and conference realignment that could end badly. UCF already has a bad history in that department(conference realignment)

it's not always UCF Against the World. When we are getting to the point that you can't find anyone not with a link to UCF's Program agreeing with you then we might be in a bubble. In a sport where networking is key for scheduling and conference realignment that could end badly. UCF already has a bad history in that department(conference realignment)
A conference isn’t inviting Memphis over us because DW liked to talk a big game and we hung a banner

Reactions: 80'sKnight
yeah all the National Writers are slamming UCF, even the ones that have been more Pro UCF. It seems like our fanbase is in this defiant bubble going along with this but it could backfire big time in the long term(and once you are not selling undefeated seasons). In FIU's case on top of everything else it's just a really crappy place for a road game, there are Sun Belt Schools with better stadiums and gameday production.
It is what it is, i would still take the National Title, being black balled somewhat and all the hate then to be an afterthought like 95% of all the G4 schools and the AAC and about 50% of all the other Major Conference teams.

I don’t like referring to Major Conferences as P5 because there’s nothing that’s powerful for most teams in those leagues. Even though it’s an up hill battle UCF and teams in the AAC still have a more realistic shot at getting into the CFP than 75% of all teams from all major conferences. If we go undefeated in any season at least we will be in the conversation. And if we luck up and beat two highly ranked teams in OOC play then we are really in the conversation. Easier for us to go undefeated in the AAC then for bottom feeders like Indiana, Boston College, Iowa State, Rutgers, Wake Forest, NC state etc to win their conferences and get to a NY6 or the CFP. If we win consistently and stay ranked we can probably get to the NY6 with one or even 2 loses.

Let all these talking heads talk. UCF has created an identity that riles people up and I actually like it. People will hate on us whether we lose or win so since people are always taking about us that’s a win win situation. DW is smart guy and he’s classy so I don’t think behind closed doors we are being blackballed as much as the media tries to portray it. Also, it’s a rallying cry for our fans to support and stick together because everyone is against us. We are setting records with athletic fundraising so all that hate isn’t stopping the money from rolling in! If anything, it’s actually causing more people to get involved with athletics and UCF as a whole I believe.

It’s hilarious. FIU now has a legit coach and has won 8 and 9 games the past 2 years. This last year everyone was talking up FAU as a dark horse to crash the CFP or at least make a NY6 bowl. But some people would rather schedule a 2-1 with Arkansas. With the 1 being at the citrus dump.

Weren’t we saying a week or 2 ago that Boise isn’t a great scheduling option? Now we’d rather them than FIU. Even though Boise needs access to Florida more than we need Idaho. Besides a neutral 1 game against them I don’t see a point in a 1-1 with them.

Weren’t we saying a week or 2 ago that Boise isn’t a great scheduling option? Now we’d rather them than FIU. Even though Boise needs access to Florida more than we need Idaho. Besides a neutral 1 game against them I don’t see a point in a 1-1 with them.

there was a Dungeon rumor that we were negotiation with Boise but no news yet. They agreed to a 1-1 series with USF.

It would be better than FIU IMO. The only downside is the distance

Like the whole conference situation 15 years ago, it's a good strategy to stand firm until it's not. If Danny White fails to get a second P5 teams for 2021, then I expect many more switching over to being very unhappy with the scheduling situation.

With having a less interesting schedule, if the team loses out on NY6 bowl, and ends up at best in Birmingham for a few years, expect momentum and general hype come to a screeching halt.

Alabama and Wisconsin just signed up a H:H.

They played to open in Arlington a few years back.

We want an Autonomy Conference's team to schedule us H-H, but we are too good for an in state CUSA school?

LOL hypocrisy much?

We want an Autonomy Conference's team to schedule us H-H, but we are too good for an in state CUSA school?

LOL hypocrisy much?

I get this, just frustrated that we haven’t had a significant program announcement in quite some time.

LOL hypocrisy much?

Yup, because if that is the goal then just schedule MAC and CUSA teams for the next 10 years and be done with it. Then when the team has 1 loss and misses out on NY6, and the highlight game was against a two loss Memphis team the season will be completely forgettable.

No one is going to say 10 years from now, that F_U game was incredible. Yet despite losses, there is those that still talk about losses from 20 years ago like it was an experience they will never forget. It's all about balance of the two.

People are only okay with weak schedules if it means there is a pot of gold at the end and that is never guaranteed.

Yup, because if that is the goal then just schedule MAC and CUSA teams for the next 10 years and be done with it. Then when the team has 1 loss and misses out on NY6, and the highlight game was against a two loss Memphis team the season will be completely forgettable.No one is going to say 10 years from now, that F_U game was incredible. Yet despite losses, there is those that still talk about losses from 20 years ago like it was an experience they will never forget. It's all about balance of the two.People are only okay with weak schedules if it means there is a pot of gold at the end and that is never guaranteed.
The Fiesta bowl year vs Baylor did we play FIU or FAU?

The 2017 national championship season did we play FIU or FAU?

Seems like it’s been working just fine for ten years now

We have to move on from FIU and the 20,000
seat stadiums. Just because it’s been working fine, doesn’t mean that it will continue to do so. There are other G5 schools in the picture now. Those games against FIU did not help us and pollsters are on to it now.

Additionally, the fans just are not excited about that game with all the talk of what other teams in our conference are doing

Again, let’s not play up FIU. It’s a national embarrassment

Admittedly, I absolutely enjoy going down there.
It’s a relaxing, cozy stadium and makes a great weekend getaway. It’s close. It’s cheap

However, it’s not best for the program

Last edited:
Reactions: Endeavor.
We have to move on from FIU and the 20,000
seat stadiums. Just because it’s been working fine, doesn’t mean that it will continue to do so. There are other G5 schools in the picture now. Those games against FIU did not help us and pollsters are on to it now.

Additionally, the fans just are not excited about that game with all the talk of what other teams in our conference are doing

Again, let’s not play up FIU. It’s a national embarrassment
Those are the EXACT arguments other brand name programs use when refusing to play us H-H.

2013 involved two top 15 teams and Penn state, future schedules might not have a ranked team for multiple years. 2017 required undefeated, no undefeated, no NY6.

Those are the EXACT arguments other brand name programs use when refusing to play us H-H.
That’s absolutely true. No one is denying that. However, I think our gap is a little bigger now with us and 61-17 FIU and their 20,000 seat stadium vs a decent P5 program and us.

However, we can’t use the mentality argument of other programs to effect our mentality in scheduling.

This isn’t about being nice and charitable. It’s about looking out for #1

I’m hoping other scheduling announcements will be made soon and we can all feel the difference and have a collective sigh of relief

Reactions: ahabmw
2013 involved two top 15 teams and Penn state, future schedules might not have a ranked team for multiple years. 2017 required undefeated, no undefeated, no NY6.
FIU or no FIU won’t necessarily be the difference in a NY6. It’s just an FCS school + FIU isn’t the most exciting schedule when your other 2 OOC games are mediocre AAC schools or unknown

FIU or no FIU won’t necessarily be the difference in a NY6. It’s just an FCS school + FIU isn’t the most exciting schedule when your other 2 OOC games are mediocre AAC schools or unknown

I don't think so either. However, if the team doesn't go to an NY6 Bowl, football gets a whole lot more boring with no match ups to look forward to. Playing FIU for the 7th, 8th in 10 years just isn't fun. It's basically another FCS game in terms of excitement.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I don't think so either. However, if the team doesn't go to an NY6 Bowl, football gets a whole lot more boring with no match ups to look forward to. Playing FIU for the 7th, 8th in 10 years just isn't fun. It's basically another FCS game in terms of excitement.
I agree. We can’t take these NY6 Bowls for granted

Honestly, in any given year, the chances are by far that WE ARE NOT going to go.
I know. It’s blasphemous talk. I’m expecting to go, but prepared not to.

So.., since we are going to go to a bowl from hell most likely, let’s at least have some OOC games to look forward to

By the way, after reading our bowl tie-ins, it really is hell.

However, I wouldn’t mind going to DC for the Military bowl. Birmingham and the Gaspirilla Bowl just don’t excite me at all

Reactions: Endeavor.

LOL hypocrisy much?
We have a sound reasoning though, There hasn't been a more dominant team over the past 2 years than UCF as far as destroying their schedule and big bowl games. In fact we really should be playoff contenders, I think we've earned the right to be taken seriously.

FIU hasn't done much to warrant a H-H while we have willed ourself into being a top program.
Also the American is closer to the P5 than we are to the G5 in reality. Our conference competes and outclasses the P5 more often than the others.

I agree. We can’t take these NY6 Bowls for granted

Honestly, in any given year, the chances are by far that WE ARE NOT going to go.
I know. It’s blasphemous talk. I’m expecting to go, but prepared not to.

So.., since we are going to go to a bowl from hell most likely, let’s at least have some OOC games to look forward to

By the way, after reading our bowl tie-ins, it really is hell.

However, I wouldn’t mind going to DC for the Military bowl. Birmingham and the Gaspirilla Bowl just don’t excite me at all
Agreed, we need to maintain the 'Attacking Champions' mentality. Some fans talk as if NY6 is our birthright.
There was a time when Boise St never thought they would fall from the mountain top.
A lot can happen in 2 years as we all know, a team can hire their 'Scott Frost' and combine that with a good schedule who knows.
The point is to go up not down but its also a catch 22, we can't say UCF only schedules H-H but then turn down a H-H from lower tier teams.

Let’s face it guys

Why FIU??

Because there are very few choices left

It’s pretty obvious, right?

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
I have no problem with FIU and FAU games. Gives alumni living in South Florida a games close to home. Where the scheduling philosophy needs to change is getting rid of the FCS game. I’m not saying we should cancel any games but just change the plan for future scheduling. Either have 2 Power 6 and 2 G5 or go with 3 Power 6 and 1 G5.

I have no problem with FIU and FAU games. Gives alumni living in South Florida a games close to home. Where the scheduling philosophy needs to change is getting rid of the FCS game. I’m not saying we should cancel any games but just change the plan for future scheduling. Either have 2 Power 6 and 2 G5 or go with 3 Power 6 and 1 G5.
Yes no need for FCS and FIU. FAMU is a throw away game. Replace with any other G4 school.

Dropping FCS does sacrifice a guaranteed home game. I'm guessing its not going to happen at this juncture since its been difficult enough to fill a schedule.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I'd be more than happy to drop the FCS games and instead play Sun Belt, CUSA or MAC teams instead. That said, there are a lot of instances where you just have to take them because they make the most financial sense. It might just be straight-up wanting to have another home game. Remember, we're not getting 30, 40 or 50 million/year in TV money to just pass up the money of a home game. In the past, we got dropped from people's schedules and just had to fill holes. DW is trying not to put us in that position in the future. Plus, there isn't a line of major programs that want to sign up for a home-and-home with us. It would be nice to pick up a neutral site game/kick-off game. It's just too risky for them since the poll voters and committee are in certain conferences back pockets. I think we are at the point where we could start to regularly get lower and mid-tier teams to play us (Like UNC, Pitt, GaTech, etc...). At this point it would be a solid win for them to beat us, since in all likelihood the chances of them beating the likes of Oklahoma, Clemson, Ohio State, Bama, etc... is slim-to-none. We have played many of these teams over our history.

ACC:
Loserville, NC State, Syracuse, Wake Forest, UNC, Pitt, VaTech, and Virginia.

Big 12:
Baylor, Kansas, K-State, TCU, West Virginia

Big 10:
Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue

Pac-12:
Cal, Oregon State, Wazzou, Az State, Arizona, Colorado and Utah

SEC:
Kentucky, Mizzou, Vandy, Arkansas, Ole Miss and Miss State.

I think the rest would probably just turn their noses up at us in most cases.

Like I've said, though, we won 25 games in a row and in 2017-2018, and in 2017 we definitely could have beaten anybody that season. That was just a special season, even with us winning the first 11 in 2018, it just felt different. We didn't even sniff the CFI. At one point I broke down our history versus Boise State since 2004 and we had played much tougher OOC games and actually beat more P5 programs than they have. Other than Danny Kannell, we just need more media types out there to actually read up on us and do the research, so when the pundits just start spouting the same crap they always do someone can call them out on it. DW is going to schedule the best he can. He's done a phenomenal job so far and we should just leave it in his capable hands.

:clap:
This is what I am referring to on it being a long term problem if a League change is not in the works. I have seen some fans post that UCF should only schedule G5 schools OOC bc they are mad at the backlash? wtf? Do you wanna be North Dakota State or compete at the highest level?

Reactions: Ucfmikes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT