ADVERTISEMENT

OC...

"Hinshaw should be the prohibitive favorite for the quarterbacks coach job."

Goat hire!

EDIT: Just so you know, this is a troll post. This is the most Gus hire ever. Probably as bad or worse than the Addison Williams promotion. Matt Zenitz should be fired for reporting the hire.

:(

Last edited:
He was the passing coordinator when Kentucky’s passing game ranked 122th in the country

Seemed like a long wait to end up with him. UAB QBs and offense didn't exactly light the world on fire.

Safe to say Malzahn play calling is here to stay.
UABs offense was ranked #33 this season (His only year there). UAB was #75 in 2021. Could be a lot of reasons for that, including him making them better, though, luck, etc... UAB had an interim coach all year. They hired Trent Dilfer for 2023.

26 years of coaching. He's well traveled at the college level. Has had extensive coaching time as co-OC, OC, Passing Game Coordinator, and QB coach at the college level (has also coached WRs and RBs). He's bounced around quite a bit. Spent 5 years coaching different positions and working his way up to OC at Middle Tenn State (2001-2005). Spent 5 years as Kentucky's OC from 2016-2020. Spent 3 years at Memphis coaching WRs. Soent 3 years at Tennessee from 2010-2012 as a position coach. He spent 3 as Cincy's (Bearcats) Passing Coordinator and QB coach from 2013-2015. Hard to say he's not qualified. Hard to say his heart wouldn't be in it. I guess if this is the choice we'll see how it works out.

Last edited:

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

He was the passing coordinator when Kentucky’s passing game ranked 122th in the country
Nice cherry pick focusing on just passing for one year. It's not basketball. Kentucky has rarely cared about its football program. They have won 10+ games only four times since 1915. Was he given anything to work with?

Kentucky's offense was #89 in 2015, then he was hired at UK as co-OC and QB coach. Their overall offense was: 2016 (#61), 2017 (#103), 2018 (#102), 2019 (#77), and 2020 (#108). Their offense consistently sucked.

While he was passing game coordinator at Cincy from 2013 to 2015 their offense was ranked 57, 31, and 39 (They were #39 in 2012).

You have to look at a coaches career when they have 26 years of experience. Where were they at? Who did they work for? How were those programs at the time? What was the reason for some of his job movement (maybe a coach got shit-canned so he went out the door with them, or did he just got shit-canned)? Who has he recruited? Who has he developed?

I'm not talking the guy up or down. I'm just saying in 26 years you can't just pick one thing from one year, and say "that's him". There's no context to that.

Last edited:
UABs offense was ranked #33 this season (His only year there). UAB was #75 in 2021. Could be a lot of reasons for that, including him making them better, though.

26 years of coaching. He's well traveled at the college level. Has had extensive coaching time as co-OC, OC, Passing Game Coordinator, and QB coach at the college level (has also coached WRs and RBs). He's bounced around quite a bit. Did spend 5 years as Kentucky's OC from 2016-2020. The previous 3 season he was Cincy's (Bearcats) Passing Coordinator and QB coach. Hard to say he's not qualified. Hard to say his heart wouldn't be in it. I guess if this is the choice we'll see how it works out.

The biggest takeaway is that he didn't call plays, and not someone that Gus is going to hand over the offensive responsibilities to. This was not a CEO Gus hire.

Nice cherry pick focusing on just passing for one year. It's not basketball. Kentucky has rarely cared about its football program. They have won 10+ games only four times since 1915. Was he given anything to work with?

Kentucky's offense was #89 in 2015, then he was hired at UK as Passing Coordinator. Their overall offense was: 2016 (#61), 2017 (#103), 2018 (#102), 2019 (#77), and 2020 (#108). Their offense consistently sucked.

While he was passing game coordinator at Cincy from 2013 to 2015 their offense was ranked 57, 31, and 39 (They were #39 in 2012).

You have to look at a coaches career when they have 26 years of experience. Where were they at? How were those programs at the time? What was the reason for some of his job movement (maybe a coach got shit-canned so he went out the door with them)? Who has he recruited? Who has he developed?

I'm not talking the guy up or down. I'm just saying in 26 years you can't just pick one thing from one year, and say "that's him".
Yeah he’s ****ing sucked all 26 years, but he fits into most of the offensive staff: awful middle aged white coaches

Reactions: nonaknight645

Not sure if I want Hinshaw to bring his quarterback with him.
He's still got a year left. I'd try and bring him. He's got two years of experience starting. We need a capable backup. I agree, his stats are average but they ran the ball a ton in 2022. Only half the time did he even have over 20 passing attempts in games. For 2021 and 2022 he does not have a game where he had more picks than TDs. He's a game manager. He also had a lot of games where he had like 1 TD and 1 Int. If I were him I'd stay to play out my UAB career under the tutelage of Dilfer.

Last edited:
Seemed like a long wait to end up with him.

Danny White wouldn’t allow for an uninspiring OC hire like this year 1 in the Big 12.
In Gus's defense, Hinshaw was probably always the guy. Gus just had to wait until after the New Year to announce the hire because UAB refused to let him out of his contract and UCF didn't want to pay the buyout.

Per USAToday, "Hinshaw being hired as interim offensive coordinator on six-month contract at annual rate of $200,004..."

New Mexico had to wait until the 1st to announce Bryant as OC.

Reactions: Knight Strength
The biggest takeaway is that he didn't call plays, and not someone that Gus is going to hand over the offensive responsibilities to. This was not a CEO Gus hire.
Darin is a UCF blueblood and loyalty is good. And he did work as an offensive ass't for Gus in 2021 and as the OC for UAB in 2022 where he replaced the OC who was elevated to HC. As noted, Darin didn't call the plays there. But I fear that Darin will primarily be the QB Coach at UCF, will have minimal input to the schemes and Gus will call plays. If that's the case and Gus just refuses to let go of his control of the Offense, then it's a step backward. If he gives Darin more of the reins Offensively by handing over scheming and play calling (with Gus' overview of course), then it's a step forward. We'll see but Gus would have to let Darin perform to his entire job title and with Gus' history, I'm not holding my breath. Let's see what Gus says (and the attendees at the Press Conference better ask Gus some tough questions so we can get real answers and refuse to let Gus just blow them off).

He's still got a year left. I'd try and bring him. He's got two years of experience starting. We need a capable backup. I agree, his stats are average but they ran the ball a ton in 2022. Only half the time did he even have over 20 passing attempts in games. For 2021 and 2022 he does not have a game where he had more picks than TDs. He's a game manager. He also had a lot of games where he had like 1 TD and 1 Int. If I were him I'd stay to play out my UAB career under the tutelage of Dilfer.
Wrong skill set……pocket passer

Grading the coordinator hires....

In terms of proven coaching ability/what they bring to UCF
Hinshaw C - mixed bag of experience
Williams F -- no experience

In terms of fit
Hinshaw B+ -- a true QB coach
Williams B -- no real change: Gibbs still in charge

In terms of stability
Hinshaw A+
Williams A+

Where would/could either ever go? They are consummate Gus yes men. They will be coordinators for UCF as long as Gus wants

Last edited:
Darin is a UCF blueblood and loyalty is good. And he did work as an offensive ass't for Gus in 2021 and as the OC for UAB in 2022 where he replaced the OC who was elevated to HC. As noted, Darin didn't call the plays there. But I fear that Darin will primarily be the QB Coach at UCF, will have minimal input to the schemes and Gus will call plays. If that's the case and Gus just refuses to let go of his control of the Offense, then it's a step backward. If he gives Darin more of the reins Offensively by handing over scheming and play calling (with Gus' overview of course), then it's a step forward. We'll see but Gus would have to let Darin perform to his entire job title and with Gus' history, I'm not holding my breath. Let's see what Gus says (and the attendees at the Press Conference better ask Gus some tough questions so we can get real answers and refuse to let Gus just blow them off).
A UCF blue blood that left twice. He can **** off and take his inability to develop a good quick with him

Well the next couple of years are going to be painful. Gus hires a DC that has never been a DC, going into the P5 Big XII. Follows up hiring an OC that’s never actually called the plays anywhere he’s been. I find it hard to believe that’s what we have now. With the step up to a P5, with the $, prestige, ongoing facility improvements, killer recruiting area, etc, there had to be better candidates. Obviously Gus wants to maintain complete control over every aspect of the team. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t see this working out well.

Are you kidding me? This is what we've been waiting for?
If it is Hinshaw, he and Gus need to be grilled with questions at their first Press Conference. Who will "really" be the OC (in charge of the Offense)? What role Darin will play? If Darin is given the full responsibilities of an OC/QB Coach then kudos to Gus. But if Gus is just bringing in another body to unequivocally do his bidding (especially bad taste since Darin is a UCF blueblood and that would be just using his respected status in the UCF family) then Gus is taking this to the next level of narcissism. So, the question for Gus is, which is it?

The more I think about it the more I’m starting to believe Hinshaw was the best Gus could get, because any of the hot up and coming OCs would say ”No Thanks!” to coming to UCF only to be a clipboard holder for Gus.

I make no judgements here. Darin was a great player for us, listened to many of his games on the radio. He has plenty of experience. I have 0 doubts he can be a good QB coach, as for OC we shall see. Do I think he ends up calling the plays? No not at first. Down the road? Who knows.

Even the complete homer twitter accounts are trashing this hire

Gus was like ‘what hire will be so disappointing that fans will still want me to call plays? Also he played at UCF the O’Leary statue guys will love that !’

Reactions: Yaes
Well the next couple of years are going to be painful. Gus hires a DC that has never been a DC, going into the P5 Big XII. Follows up hiring an OC that’s never actually called the plays anywhere he’s been. I find it hard to believe that’s what we have now. With the step up to a P5, with the $, prestige, ongoing facility improvements, killer recruiting area, etc, there had to be better candidates. Obviously Gus wants to maintain complete control over every aspect of the team. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t see this working out well.
If Gus doesn't listen to someone, he won't be here in 2 years. Stubbornness equals sayonara.

If it is Hinshaw, he and Gus need to be grilled with questions at their first Press Conference. Who will "really" be the OC (in charge of the Offense)? What role Darin will play? If Darin is given the full responsibilities of an OC/QB Coach then kudos to Gus. But if Gus is just bringing in another body to unequivocally do his bidding (especially bad taste since Darin is a UCF blueblood and that would be just using his respected status in the UCF family) then Gus is taking this to the next level of narcissism. So, the question for Gus is, which is it?
Don't despair, @Brandon will be front and center with questions like, "Heh so yea...so with the recruits signed and derrr....the unfortunate loss to Duke is, heh, past us....which part of yur.....derrrr golf game are you, uhh, focusing on?? heh heh heh"

• Haha
Reactions: Yaes
He worked for Gus at Auburn. He’s a yes man that’s getting paid more to do less.

The more I think about it the more I’m starting to believe Hinshaw was the best Gus could get, because any of the hot up and coming OCs would say ”No Thanks!” to coming to UCF only to be a clipboard holder
Gus could have gotten a number of QB coaches to come to Orlando for a pay raise, title promotion, and retirement home. He chose/settled for Hinshaw.

Just having someone in the QB room that was successful throwing QB is a good thing for me. I'm underwhelmed but he was also part of an offense that was very successful running the ball last year. I would love to have the RB production UAB had with Plumlee in the mix. Basically the production of JRP minus the turnovers with help from DH as QB coach, and then have say, Macdonald and Bowman/Richardson do what UAB RBs did, that right there has potential.

Hiring an office coordinator is a tricky thing. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t, but a lot depends on what tools you were given to succeed. This is a hire that needs to be evaluated much later, and not now as it’s way too early to determine whether this will be successful or not.

On the surface it’s not a bad hire, as he has a lot of experience and is a UCF guy. I’m good with this hire as it’s a former quarterback who coached quarterbacks and has called plays before. We need someone to have the quarterbacks ear and actually played the position before. This could be a real good hire but needs to be determined later after the results are in

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT