Do you approve of the Gus hire?

• Yes

Votes: 143 85.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 21 12.6%

• Total voters
The SEC unlike every other conference is based strictly off pure talent in recruiting, even middle of the pack SEC teams would be recruiting champions for G5 conferences. So as talented as Auburn is, Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida are loaded with future Super Bowl champions at all positions.

Coach Malzahn is running the show now and we should get behind him and see what he can do when the field isn't as insanely competitive.

How do we feel about Gus?
Malzahn might not feel like a 'splashy' hire, but he's a solid choice.

With any hire, there's a chance that the wrong guy will destroy all the momentum the program has experienced over the past five years. I don't see that happening under Gus. I suspect he'll keep the program relevant and could build a top ten-level team.

The SEC unlike every other conference is based strictly off pure talent in recruiting, even middle of the pack SEC teams would be recruiting champions for G5 conferences. So as talented as Auburn is, Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida are loaded with future Super Bowl champions at all positions.

Coach Malzahn is running the show now and we should get behind him and see what he can do when the field isn't as insanely competitive.
No matter what level you recruit at it’s just as competitive. He now has to fight P5 and USF for kids. Before it was mostly Saban and Dabo.

Reactions: PhDee
Honestly nervous, we only know how to win with a high powered offense, it has gotten us this far. Idk how to feel about going away from that, unless Gus brings in a OC with that style.

Reactions: FoxKnight
No matter what level you recruit at it’s just as competitive. He now has to fight P5 and USF for kids. Before it was mostly Saban and Dabo.
Not exactly. Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Clemson basically get their pick of blue chips. Auburn is up there, but they are legitimately playing perennial top 6 teams with NFL talent across the roster top to bottom. Going 8-17 is pretty much holding his own. 3-4 against the #1 team in the country is solid. All the advantages in the AAC that UCF has over its conference peers he will be able to utilize. Something he could not do when his division was full of blue bloods with every practical advantage imaginable.

I’m just glad the 5-play gimmicky fast tempo of heupel is gone. It will be good to see a solid RPO offensive attack with an open playbook. Hopefully GM will re-ignite relationships with the high schools in Florida and build a solid local recruiting base. Even if RS continues as defensive coordinator, with a more common tempo our defense will get time to rest and not be on the field for 75% of the game.

Looks like I’m the only one that has voted “no” so far. My reasoning is that I don’t believe in hiring older coaches on a downward trend. I believe in hiring the more unproven but up and coming coaches to bring energy and new ideas to the program. In the P5 world, coaching stability is the key to success. But in the G5 world, I think it’s the opposite. Coaches being hired away from us is a sign of our success. I just am concerned with the road of hiring retread coaches, especially one like Malzahn who was falling into mediocre territory and who has a giant buyout from Auburn. Will he have the motivation to bring a renewed energy to the program?

With that said, I really hope I’m wrong. When Gus is at his best, he brings an innovative offensive gameplan that is more creative than Heupel’s. The key to his success, in my opinion, is... will he be able to reopen the Florida recruiting pipelines that Heupel closed? That’s what I’ll be looking for.

We have a better coach now than three weeks ago. We have a better coach now than Kevin Sumlin or Charlie Strong, imo. I see the opportunity for success and stability. I see better recruiting, I see local recruiting, which I like.

I have stated concerns in other threads, and I stand by them. I support Gus and the team, and I look forward to seeing them play! Charge On!

Looks like I’m the only one that has voted “no” so far. My reasoning is that I don’t believe in hiring older coaches on a downward trend. I believe in hiring the more unproven but up and coming coaches to bring energy and new ideas to the program. In the P5 world, coaching stability is the key to success. But in the G5 world, I think it’s the opposite. Coaches being hired away from us is a sign of our success. I just am concerned with the road of hiring retread coaches, especially one like Malzahn who was falling into mediocre territory and who has a giant buyout from Auburn. Will he have the motivation to bring a renewed energy to the program?

With that said, I really hope I’m wrong. When Gus is at his best, he brings an innovative offensive gameplan that is more creative than Heupel’s. The key to his success, in my opinion, is... will he be able to reopen the Florida recruiting pipelines that Heupel closed? That’s what I’ll be looking for.
I agree with you on not hiring a coach on a downward trend but I disagree with you that Gus was on a downward trend. In my mind, he was on a steady trend, not going up or down.. He pretty much did all he could with Auburn, when you play 5 out of the top 10 teams every year and those teams get better recruits than you, you're going to lose more often than not to them.

Auburn let him go because Gus was maxed out, that was his potential, averaging 8-10 wins per year at a top SEC program.

Reactions: Black_Knight07
We have a better coach now than three weeks ago. We have a better coach now than Kevin Sumlin or Charlie Strong, imo. I see the opportunity for success and stability. I see better recruiting, I see local recruiting, which I like.

I have stated concerns in other threads, and I stand by them. I support Gus and the team, and I look forward to seeing them play! Charge On!
Go Knights!

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Don't love it, but considering the timing, Gus was probably the surest thing out there. I am in favor of continuing to go after the hot up and coming coordinator, but really there was Lebby and... who else?? I've got a lot of questions about Lebby, both off the field and on.

I just hope is buyout is low so if we need to move on to the next hot up and comer we can easily.

That was not the case prior to Frost, we won with great defenses along with decent offenses when we had decent qb play
yes but football definitely isn't the same. even former run heavy Bama is scoring 50 points a game

either way im not as worried as I was earlier

Last edited:
Smart move by GM. He wasnt going to get a sniff at another power 5 job. I think he’ll go through the motions for a few years with moderate success. That’s a huge step down from the SEC to AAC, going from the Iron Bowl to I-4 war as the big game.

He has 11 million owed to him by Auburn..Auburn has to pay him roughly about 2.7 million a year for 4 years. So money will be no issue at least for 4 years. I imagine he signed for 3 million to 4 million range..

5 year, $11.5 million. He gets to keep the full $21 million from Auburn and make an additional $2.3 million per year. Auburn contract stated they do not get a discount if he gets another job. The guy knows how to collect money, curious of the new buyout.
7 mil through 2021
5 mil through 2022
3 mil through 2023
2 mil through 2024
500k if before the 2025 season but after 2024.

Reactions: Knight Strength
people might pick at the UFC (quickly corrected to UCF btw) and the "i've coached in this league and have experience in this league", but the AAC is pretty much C-USA 2.0 so that's a shrug.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT