ADVERTISEMENT

Quadry Jones - Could he win QB Job?

UKnight

Four-Star Recruit
Apr 1, 2004
Does anyone know how well Quadry is doing? It seems like he has great speed and arm strength.

Could he possibly move up to the number 2 spot at worst with a strong spring?

For those who have access or who have been to open practices what is your evaluation of the QB’s?

Wimbush will start. He didn’t transfer here to watch. I think Heup and staff will make him a better QB as well....but you never really know until the real games start. #2 is certainly up for grabs.

Wimbush will start. He didn’t transfer here to watch. I think Heup and staff will make him a better QB as well....but you never really know until the real games start. #2 is certainly up for grabs.
With 1 year of eligibility remaining for Winbush, Heupel won’t risk losing other QBs to transferring because they were given an unfair chance to start

With 1 year of eligibility remaining for Winbush, Heupel won’t risk losing other QBs to transferring because they were given an unfair chance to start

We've got #QBproblems. Ideally Winbush would perform the best because he's the oldest. Then you have MM waiting to get back on the field. If DG or QJ wins the starting position all bets are off. MM and/or DM could transfer to you know where. MM wouldn't even have to sit out a year.

We've got #QBproblems. Ideally Winbush would perform the best because he's the oldest. Then you have MM waiting to get back on the field. If DG or QJ wins the starting position all bets are off. MM and/or DM could transfer to you know where. MM wouldn't even have to sit out a year.
So you’re saying Kingston is our last hope?

We really have five scholarship qbs and one walk on?

So you’re saying Kingston is our last hope?

We really have five scholarship qbs and one walk on?

I don't think Kingston is going anywhere, he'll probably coach eventually, maybe even here as a GA. Kingston and Jones are walk-ons, correct?

Wow. Lots of intriguing possibilities. Good problems to have I guess. A lot has changed since the Fiesta Bowl

My guess
1) Wimbush (Starting game 1)
2) Mack (Clean up and maybe start a game or two due to injury)
3) Jones (inserted for decoy/trick plays)
4) Gabriel (redshirt year)

I think Mack is more likely to start. Wimbush wasn’t able to keep the starting job at ND because of passing deficiencies after years of experience. Heup brought him in to compete for the job and to provide an experienced backup if he is unable to win the QB1 job.

I think Mack is more likely to start. Wimbush wasn’t able to keep the starting job at ND because of passing deficiencies after years of experience. Heup brought him in to compete for the job and to provide an experienced backup if he is unable to win the QB1 job.
But he’s Heupel’s guy and Mack is not.

Heup wants to win so he will choose the most talented QB to start, whether it’s Mack, Gabriel, Jones or Wimbush.

Other coaches who go with their guys don't want to win? Coaches who implement their players and game plan do so because they believe it's the best chance for their team to win. Not saying it right, but I do not think Heupel and Shannon are much different from the vast majority of coaches including Frost who tend to rely on who they pick and their game plan preference.

Heupel's use of Killins is an example. Actually, Otis Anderson is a better example.

Last edited:
Do you really think that matters? Wow! I certainly hope not. In my opinion that wouldn't speak well of Heup.
Yes it matters. I said Frost would end up playing his guys over old established starters and was told I was stupid. That’s what coaches do. If all things are equal he gives PT to the kids he made promises to. Not someone else.

My guess
1) Wimbush (Starting game 1)
2) Mack (Clean up and maybe start a game or two due to injury)
3) Jones (inserted for decoy/trick plays)
4) Gabriel (redshirt year)

We live in literally exactly Opppsiteville based on what I saw today. Will be interesting to hear from Heup on his thoughts post game.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Other coaches who go with their guys don't want to win? Coaches who implement their players and game plan do so because they believe it's the best chance for their team to win. Not saying it right, but I do not think Heupel and Shannon are much different from the vast majority of coaches including Frost who tend to rely on who they pick and their game plan preference.

Heupel's use of Killins is an example. Actually, Otis Anderson is a better example.

So you really think Heup will play the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best QB because the player is someone he recruited, instead of prioritizing winning games? I don’t think so.

Frost went with MM early his first year because he knew he was rebuilding for the future, and the team was not ready to compete for a championship. Heup can’t afford to lose games by not playing his best QB.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Flippy Franks the gator would never see the field for the Knights. Sitting behind Wimbush as a number 6 off the bench.

Reactions: ahabmw
So you really think Heup will play the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best QB because the player is someone he recruited, instead of prioritizing winning games? I don’t think so.

Frost went with MM early his first year because he knew he was rebuilding for the future, and the team was not ready to compete for a championship. Heup can’t afford to lose games by not playing his best QB.
No one is saying he will prioritize his guys over winning. But in the event of a tie or the number 1 struggles early like Holman you put in in your guy and let him gain experience. If Milton were healthy it would be a moot point.

Yes it matters. I said Frost would end up playing his guys over old established starters and was told I was stupid. That’s what coaches do. If all things are equal he gives PT to the kids he made promises to. Not someone else.
I thought the post I was replying to was saying Heup would play a player just because he recruited him instead of playing the best player to get a team win. Any coach who plays a player just because he recruited him over someone he didn't isn't a good coach.

I thought the post I was replying to was saying Heup would play a player just because he recruited him instead of playing the best player to get a team win. Any coach who plays a player just because he recruited him over someone he didn't isn't a good coach.
No but if Mack and Wimbush struggle it would make sense to start Gabriel even if he struggles because he’s gaining experience. 3 years ago playing Holman the entire year we probably get the same amount of wins. In that case you plug in your recruit for the future. Plus he fits system better. Mack and Wimbush may not be ideal for Heupel offense like Gabriel could be. TBH there aren’t many offenses besides wishbone or Trip option where you want a QB that can run but not be great passing the ball.

No but if Mack and Wimbush struggle it would make sense to start Gabriel even if he struggles because he’s gaining experience. 3 years ago playing Holman the entire year we probably get the same amount of wins. In that case you plug in your recruit for the future. Plus he fits system better. Mack and Wimbush may not be ideal for Heupel offense like Gabriel could be. TBH there aren’t many offenses besides wishbone or Trip option where you want a QB that can run but not be great passing the ball.
If you are saying all of your quarterbacks are struggling and it doesn't matter who plays you are not going to get a win then I would agree you may as give your quarterback of the future the reps to see if he can really develop to be your quarterback of the future. In that situation, you better also be looking for some talented quarterbacks next recruiting season. I also believe that you should use offenses and defenses that best fit the talents you have and can recruit. Coach Kruczek was in my opinion very good at this Coach O'Leary was not. For me, I hope I would always go with the players and schemes that would give my team the best chance for a win.

If you are saying all of your quarterbacks are struggling and it doesn't matter who plays you are not going to get a win then I would agree you may as give your quarterback of the future the reps to see if he can really develop to be your quarterback of the future. In that situation, you better also be looking for some talented quarterbacks next recruiting season. I also believe that you should use offenses and defenses that best fit the talents you have and can recruit. Coach Kruczek was in my opinion very good at this Coach O'Leary was not. For me, I hope I would always go with the players and schemes that would give my team the best chance for a win.
I liked Kruz as well. But you need to find talented QB recruits every year because of injury. We ended up not needing a good one for 1.9 years even after Milton struggled as a Freshman. Would have been nice to have a Gabriel type player last year under Milton. Mack and Wimbush skill sets are just too different from Milton to have the same type of plays called.

Wimbush didn’t throw the ball so hot this spring game. Not impressed.

I liked Kruz as well. But you need to find talented QB recruits every year because of injury. We ended up not needing a good one for 1.9 years even after Milton struggled as a Freshman. Would have been nice to have a Gabriel type player last year under Milton. Mack and Wimbush skill sets are just too different from Milton to have the same type of plays called.
I agree. Anyone know why we didn't?

If he believes the ceiling is higher with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th best QB then yes.

He most definitely could be named starter. Some kids are late bloomers, that's why competition is kept open.

He keeps producing like that, it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the mix right to when the 1's are named.

Either way, I think top 3 kids could see action in this system, as opposed to the typical pecking order for snaps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT