ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting question

BlakNGoldAllDay

Todd's Tiki Bar
Dec 21, 2016
Have we ever lost a commit that turned out to be great or had us as final 2 and that guy ended up great?

What I do know is how often top P5 schools withdraw scholarship offers when a more sough after recruit becomes available. We even had my son's classmate (a 6'3" LB) locally whose offer from Michigan was rescinded that way. He later started at UNC. He is now senior associate AD and chief of staff at an FBS university!

Last edited:
Artavis Scott(Clemson) considered UCF but I don't remember how serious it was & if he had us in the Final 2-3. He's played well there.

There was 1 player from Armwood HS(near Tampa) if I remember that was highly ranked, teased UCF but eventually committed to the Gators & was never heard from again.

What hurts more is guys who had an excellent chance of doing well here and moving on to the NFL flunking out in the big very competitive programs before they can grow as college starters.

Reactions: ProAttitude
Have we ever lost a commit that turned out to be great or had us as final 2 and that guy ended up great?
Not many. Most turned out to be mediocre, quit school, road the pine for their whole careers, or transferred.

Why????

Because playing time is UNDERRATED
If you don't get division 1 college football experience, it's unlikely you'll become a great player

denard had a good college career when he was healthy. I remember talk of him transferring to UCF because of the coaching issue with Michigan. Is with the jags now fwiw.

So Scott seemed to be best guy if he liked us anyway. So if we lose a couple more recruits I'm not too worried we lost the next great Hall of Famer.

Not sure about great successes. There are a lot of cases like JJ Worton's brother, CJ. Was a 3 star WR recruit with an offer from all the Florida schools. Will be a senior next year and has barely seen the field at UF with 10 career receptions. When you go someplace that can get three 4 star WR recruits every cycle expect to sit, especially if you pick up a couple nagging injuries. He would've been about our 2nd highest rated recruit that cycle regardless of position.

Last edited:
No loss there either
Not sure about great successes. There are a lot of cases like JJ Worton's brother, CJ. Was a 3 star WR recruit with an offer from all the Florida schools. Will be a senior next year and has barely seen the field at UF with 10 career receptions. When you go someplace that can get three 4 star WR recruits every cycle expect to sit, especially if you pick up a couple nagging injuries. He would've been about our 2nd highest rated recruit that cycle regardless of position.

Carol Joseph was in with us late and went to WVU where he had a good career and is in the NFL. Flip side I remember in 2008 the staff thrilled to get Nico Flores, QB, on the final day that never panned out on the field for us.

We made a hard late push to keep Paxton Lynch local, if I remember correctly. He stuck with Memphis and was a high NFL draft pick.

Reactions: Mikesi
that was a dumb move by CJ. You would think JJ screwing up(and having a lot of fun) and doing what he did at UCF that he would just follow him here. Even with all his screwups he had the chance to be a New England Patriot.

Reactions: Mikesi
Artavis Scott(Clemson) considered UCF but I don't remember how serious it was & if he had us in the Final 2-3. He's played well there.

There was 1 player from Armwood HS(near Tampa) if I remember that was highly ranked, teased UCF but eventually committed to the Gators & was never heard from again.

You're thinking of Alvin Bailey (https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/24366). Yep he hasn't done a thing at Florida. Same goes for Pig Howard (Quincy McDuffie's little brother) . He got into some off field trouble, and flamed out of Tennessee. Coulda been great here!

Reactions: Poolside Knight
so what recruits will be at UCF for an OV this weekend? They should head over to Buffalo Wild Wings next door on Saturday for some Wings & Dr Peppers*
052516_chc_soler_gatoradecups_lo_y6761lk4.gif

We made a hard late push to keep Paxton Lynch local, if I remember correctly. He stuck with Memphis and was a high NFL draft pick.
We had Bortles, so things turned out pretty well for us. Our push was too little too late

Kwame Geathers comes to mind here too. Came down to us and Georgia (his 2 cousins came here). Had a productive career at Georgia. Played in the NFL for a few seasons too.

How about the headache that was Demarcus Smith. 4 Star QB that signed but never made it to campus. Had a few season at Western Kentucky before transferring to North Texas this past year. Never lived up to all the hype he once had.

How about the headache that was Demarcus Smith. 4 Star QB that signed but never made it to campus. Had a few season at Western Kentucky before transferring to North Texas this past year. Never lived up to all the hype he once had.

He's got 1 more year of eligibility. Let's get him on campus.

We had Bortles, so things turned out pretty well for us. Our push was too little too late

Correct.

Also, if Lynch signed with UCF...odds are Charlie Taaffe would have stuck around for the 2015 season too.

Brandon Harris was a 5 start recruit and was really close to signing with 2008 class but chose UM and had a great career, left early for the draft and went 2nd round. He was a classy guy and spoke really well of UCF if I remember.

He actually made it to campus as well. He and Fluellen were here for Summer. How did he end up leaving? Did he not qualify? GOL wasn't letting him out of his LOI.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT