ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Alabama WR Tyrell Shavers enters transfer portal:
https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/06/veteran-alabama-wide-receiver-enters-transfer-portal.html
Are we interested? There is no shame in getting buried on Alabama's receiver depth chart, they have had one of the deepest WR corps in CFB history the last few years.

I am reading Baylor is one of the programs he is considering, kid is from TX, maybe Heup or friends know him, Heup seems to like TX receivers and still have some connects left from his OU days.

Maybe our Twitter mafia can help

Reactions: shacket
Xavier Franks also got bumped on the Composite to a 3 Star. We now have 5 solid 3 star commits, things are looking better-ish on that front.

Only 5 recruits in but the 247 rating would be the highest average recruit rating in our history. Would be cool if instead of .8450 we could be at .87 or so with all of the momentum we have had these past few years.

Last edited:
It is interesting how much we still appear to be recruiting in Texas even with Lebby gone. I think it must be Heupel's old connects?

Gotta be. Only 1 commit from FL so far is concerning. Looking at the offer list we have out it looks like we will have a bunch of out of state commits by the end of this recruiting cycle. It is disappointing it doesn't seem like we are building relationships with high schools in FL, but I'm trying my best to remain patient since it is early June.

Reactions: shacket
Gotta be. Only 1 commit from FL so far is concerning. Looking at the offer list we have out it looks like we will have a bunch of out of state commits by the end of this recruiting cycle. It is disappointing it doesn't seem like we are building relationships with high schools in FL, but I'm trying my best to remain patient since it is early June.

I think it will change once they are able to step foot in a coach's office. Building rapport virtually is so hard.

Reactions: Beach Knight
let me offer another perspective.

I think people who come from *outside* or far away may mesh better with a team. They have no option but to do so because they have no social connections in Florida. On the other hand, local recruits keep their social ties because they stay local, and may not mesh as much, simply because they don't have to.

Not saying this is true, just a theory from a different perspective.

From the comments of fans and current Terp commits, it looks like Maryland is the frontrunner.

This is what upsets me. They have had 3 winning seasons and 4 bowl games in 10 years. Why go to a doormat with no shot at a NY6 game instead of a team with a shot at a NY6 bowl every year? I know there are more things that go into picking a school like education, facilities, coaching relationships, depth chart, location, etc. but it is still annoying to lose these battles.

This is what upsets me. They have had 3 winning seasons and 4 bowl games in 10 years. Why go to a doormat with no shot at a NY6 game instead of a team with a shot at a NY6 bowl every year? I know there are more things that go into picking a school like education, facilities, coaching relationships, depth chart, location, etc. but it is still annoying to lose these battles.

I agree and it perplexes me, but let's not forget, Maryland was founded in 1856(Abe wasn't even elected yet). They've had several generations come and go before UCF even played it's first game, their roots are deep

Under Armor backs them and it’s legal to endorse kids now.

I don't know why or what it is but I think we will get him.

The only issue is position, I think he is a DE for us, not an LB, so he needs to be ok playing with his hand in the dirt.

With his frame I would think edge rusher would be a position that has the best chance to get him to the NFL rather than linebacker. Gotta have a quality pass rush if we want to compete with P5 teams in a NY6 bowl.

With his frame I would think edge rusher would be a position that has the best chance to get him to the NFL rather than linebacker. Gotta have a quality pass rush if we want to compete with P5 teams in a NY6 bowl.
I agree. He definitely fits the hybrid / edge rusher mold at the next level, but I have seen him mostly discussed as a 3-4 OLB in the recruiting materials I have seen.

In our base 4-2-5 look we lean towards smaller, quicker LBs who run sideline to sideline, so I really see him lining up at DE for us, which may be better for him long term anyway (and has more potential for a big NFL payday and a longer NFL career).

Kerry Miller of Bleacher Report lists UCF and Old Dominion as intriguing potential landing spots for transferring Penn State junior RB Ricky Slade.

Slade was a five-star recruit for Penn State who was expected to be the next big thing after Saquon Barkley graduated, but the 5-foot-9, 198-pound tailback just didn't get the expected touches in his two years with the program. "If he's open to relocating to a much warmer and more humid climate, that skill set could make UCF an intriguing landing spot," writes Miller, citing his ability as a receiver and the graduation of Otis Anderson and Greg McRae. He also mentions Old Dominion because of his connection to new coach Ricky Rahne -- the former Penn State offensive coordinator -- and that he's from Virginia. There's no timetable for when Slade will announce, but in either program, it's not hard to predict success for Slade.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ricky-Slade-62537/

Having Bentavious with Slade at an Otis type of role in 2021, with Damarius and Triillion as backup looks like a pretty good crew.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT