ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Except 2016 had a coach that called more than 6 plays. That 2017 team also had Mike Hughes. Do Brown or Thornton look like Mike Hughes to you? Cause they look like absolute trash and shouldn’t be on this roster.

That team had elite defensive linemen and lbs. Heupel hasn’t recruited a good lb in his life.
Yea that’s why I didn’t say I expect us to compete for the AAC championship next season. I don’t take issue with the facts, I take issue with cameltoe pretending to be something he’s not.

At this point I’m just praying next season surprises us.

Reactions: lawknight
Yea that’s why I didn’t say I expect us to compete for the AAC championship next season. I don’t take issue with the facts, I take issue with cameltoe pretending to be something he’s not.

At this point I’m just praying next season surprises us.
Unless massive changes are made like a real oc, a real dc, jettisoning most of the staff, a recruiting coordinator, a linebacker coach; things won’t change.

The fortunate thing is we have big time facilities and a burgeoning group of boosters that won't stand for this biscuit eater of a coach for too much longer. My money isn't quite there yet but I wish it was - would be nice to threaten to pull funds unless we fire this joker.

Reactions: TinCanz and ahabmw
Unless massive changes are made like a real oc, a real dc, jettisoning most of the staff, a recruiting coordinator, a linebacker coach; things won’t change.
With Covid gutting our finances, I don’t expect much change this year. Sucks because realignment could be on the horizon and we may get passed again.

Good news is basketball looks legit and should be fun to watch this year.

With Covid gutting our finances, I don’t expect much change this year. Sucks because realignment could be on the horizon and we may get passed again.

Good news is basketball looks legit and should be fun to watch this year.
Unless those changes are made I know a lot of people that won’t renew tickets.

Reactions: ahabmw
Heup has one more year to put up or shut up. ADDW knows what he’s doing.
He hired Heupel...after his pursuit of Kevin Sumlin failed. He extended Heupel after one season's success with a team full of SF and GOL players -- most notably UCF's GOAT (who is also responsible for Heupel's best recruit). He forced RS on Heup as DC.

I have read additional blurbs that DW wanted to extend Heup AGAIN after last season. That extension was never formalized, yes??? (Thank you, Covid...)

This Boca Bowl disaster is as much a referendum on DW as it is on Heupel. Lots of ADs and coaches are capable of fielding football teams who get blown out in pre-Christmas garbage bowls.

He hired Heupel...after his pursuit of Kevin Sumlin failed. He extended Heupel after one season's success with a team full of SF and GOL players -- most notably UCF's GOAT (who is also responsible for Heupel's best recruit). He forced RS on Heup as DC.

I have read additional blurbs that DW wanted to extend Heup AGAIN after last season. That extension was never formalized, yes??? (Thank you, Covid...)

This Boca Bowl disaster is as much a referendum on DW as it is on Heupel. Lots of ADs and coaches are capable of fielding football teams who get blown out in pre-Christmas garbage bowls.
He also hired Frost, Dawkins, Abe, and many others. Heup could tarnish his rep but other hires could have been worse. His fundraising has also been a strong suit

Biggest issue I have with ADDW is his inability to schedule football games. Hindsight is 2020 and we might be seeing that with Heup, but we’re still in bed with him for at least one more season.

He also hired Frost, Dawkins, Abe, and many others. Heup could tarnish his rep but other hires could have been worse. His fundraising has also been a strong suit

Biggest issue I have with ADDW is his inability to schedule football games. Hindsight is 2020 and we might be seeing that with Heup, but we’re still in bed with him for at least one more season.

Was thinking of that the other day - now is the time to get scheduling done. This isn't the 25 game win streak team DW was trying to sell teams to take on a couple years ago.

Reactions: ahabmw
Was thinking of that the other day - now is the time to get scheduling done. This isn't the 25 game win streak team DW was trying to sell teams to take on a couple years ago.
Indeed DW can prove me to be a complete moron if he gets multiple P5 H&Hs now. With the decline of our program under Heup, I don't see how we get any more P5 H&Hs.

What will DW do? P5 0&1? P5 1&2? Or just G5 H&H and 1&0 deals?

Reactions: Knight Strength
Indeed DW can prove me to be a complete moron if he gets multiple P5 H&Hs now. With the decline of our program under Heup, I don't see how we get any more P5 H&Hs.

What will DW do? P5 0&1? P5 1&2? Or just G5 H&H and 1&0 deals?
Yea the argument that we are a top 25 team is over with. Still, if we are filling the Bounce House, the revenue argument remains strong.

Reactions: shacket
You think? I have major concerns about the secondary and o-line. Not to mention RB if Otis and McRae leave.
Yea. Not that I think every individual or group is elite but, as a whole, I think there are enough good/great players at every position to get win a championship. A lot of other stuff does go into that though.

The sad reality is that we will keep spiraling down as long as Heupel is here and we can't afford to fire him. That's on Danny White.

Randy will not take a pay cut and his performance doesn't deserve top dollar. I told everyone about him last year. Average coach and lazy recruiter. UF fans were happy to see him leave.

A huge problem is that we dont have Florida recruiters in the staff and with Randy leaving this will only get worse. I told everyone that Golesh was a terrible hire for us! The man has zero ties and relationships in this state.

Recruting is about building and maintaining relationships with the high schools, 7v7 programs, youth leagues, ect. It is also about winning and that has dried up. The Dungeonites know nothing but what is sold to them.

I would say Jeff Scott's first year was an absolute failure but he has the correct recruting strategy in place and that gives them hope.

Meanwhile, ahab the whale hunter, is shifting goal posts and talking about UCF BB. Some of us dont care BB and most of us don't care about takes from a character known for lies, stalking and harrassment. Go back to your cave troll.

Last edited:
Reactions: TinCanz
My first post here was about Wimbush. I told everyone that he was a JAG QB. Everyone came at me.

99% of the posters here have mocked and insulted me. Where are you now? Everything I have told you about recruting was based on my informed opinion.

What you saw last night was a preview for next year. The talent level on this team has decreased significantly since Frost left and it's getting progressively worse.

We need to recruit our city (like USF is doing in Tampa), we need to recruit Central Florida and we need to recruit this State. That needs to happen FiRST!!!

We are not a national brand and we sure as heck are not a national recruting brand. Period.

My first post here was about Wimbush. I told everyone that he was a JAG QB. Everyone came at me.

99% of the posters here have mocked and insulted me. Where are you now? Everything I have told you about recruting was based on my informed opinion.

What you saw last night was a preview for next year. The talent level on this team has decreased significantly since Frost left and it's getting progressively worse.

We need to recruit our city (like USF is doing in Tampa), we need to recruit Central Florida and we need to recruit this State. That needs to happen FiRST!!!

We are not a national brand and we sure as heck are not a national recruting brand. Period.
I was skeptical on Wimbush. If he couldn’t win with 4 and 5 stars helping him, what would he do with mostly 3 star kids around him? Not make them better.

Reactions: Trashcanzzz
I was skeptical on Wimbush. If he couldn’t win with 4 and 5 stars helping him, what would he do with mostly 3 star kids around him? Not make them better.

He was a poor QB with Notre Dame talent around him, lost his job and was forced to transfer out. His winning record at the time was not a reflection of his performace.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
I will tell you something now that wont be popular. SIGNIFICANT changes need to be made in the offense.

DG is a very, very good passer but he is short. He stands in the pocket and is not a threat to run.

You saw BYU tip two passes that should have been intercepted and their linemen were raising their hands obstructing the passing lanes.

3-3-5 defense, no threat of a QB run, short QB having passes tipped and having problems seeing the passing lanes due to DL jumping and raising their hands. That's the new elephant in the room.

Reactions: PhDee
I will tell you something now that wont be popular. SIGNIFICANT changes need to be made in the offense.

DG is a very, very good passer but he is short. He stands in the pocket and is not a threat to run.

You saw BYU tip two passes that should have been intercepted and their linemen were raising their hands obstructing the passing lanes.

3-3-5 defense, no threat of a QB run, short QB having passes tipped and having problems seeing the passing lanes due to DL jumping and raising their hands. That's the new elephant in the room.
Not disagreeing with you but I did see a big different with year on and two in him being more comfortable running the ball. I think he could make another big step next year.

Big Ben is 6-4 and has balls tipped or batted down. That’s what D Line is taught to do.

missing 10 defensive starters? any of them coming back next season or is what we saw tonight the 2021 starters?
Yes Davis, Dawson, Gaineous, Zayas. and Woodson will be back.

We were down the following defenders from the projected 2 deep after spring:

Davis
Dawson
Gowan
Moore
Collier
Grant
Robinson
Mitchell
Turnier
Charlton
Woodson
Zayas
Cholewa
Gaineous

We were starting a walk on safety that had never played in a game outside of special teams against a guy who will go near the top in the draft. It was never going to end well defensively.

oh and Wilson went out with a targeting very early.

Last edited:
How incompetent are you when you have one of the top passing attacks in FBS, your team is in Florida and you can't even recruit wide receivers?

Nevermind other positions but wide receivers?

Meanwhile AHAB keeps taking shots at me. Nevermind that I have been right all along.

The man has confused me for a whale. I may be a dick but I am not Moby Dick.

Big Ben is 6-4 and has balls tipped or batted down. That’s what D Line is taught to do.

You see two tipped balls that should have been intercepted? Did you see the slow fat guys from BYU jumping hands up on every play? It was deliberate and part of their game plan.

DG is 5'10" and strictly a pocket passer. That has to change, he needs to make plays outside the pocket and take off with the ball and run more often.

Roll the kid out, work with him on improvising and throwing outside the tackles. Help the man get better.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I have watched film on just about everyone and will give fellow Round Table contributors my analysis at some point tomorrow.

I will not mention anything negative about any of our new players but I will mention specific areas of failure withing the class.

I will also emphasize the top five recruits in this class and expand on their skills and upside. I will also give out grades for all positions and for the class overall.

STAY TUNED RIGHT HERE!!!

Let's discuss 2021 recruting! Unlike prior years we did not win a single recruting battle over anyone of note.

PLAYER #1.

I will say that my favorite player in the class in Hundley. He is our top recruit, a kid with a very high ceiling. Hundley is very athletic and has a high motor. He was evaluated and offered by LSU and they only go for the best guys at that position.

It is very tough for a OL or DL to make an immediate impact as they usually need a year or two in a college S&C program to get stronger. I do see Hundley getting resps from day one and possible starting before the year is over.

We were lucky to land him as LSU and him had a mutual parting of ways. LSU was looking at other DTs that were higher on their list and Hundley wanted a place that would give him a chance to play early.

Again this kid is good enough to play and start in a good P5 team. I am not sure what's going on with the DT that decommited from Miami but it would be great to pair Savion Collins with Hundley.

Last edited:
Let's discuss 2021 recruting! Unlike prior years we did not win a single recruting battle over anyone of note.

PLAYER #1.

I will say that my favorite player in the class in Hundley. He is our top recruit, a kid with a very high ceiling. Hundley is very athletic and has a high motor. He was evaluated and offered by LSU and they only go for the best guys at that position.

It is very tough for a OL or DL to make an immediate impact as they usually need a year or two in a college S&C program to get stronger. I do see Hundley getting resps from day one and possible starting before the year is over.

We were lucky to land him as LSU and him had a mutual parting of ways. LSU was looking at other DTs that were higher on their list and Hundley wanted a place that would give him a chance to play early.

Again this kid is good enough to play and start in a good P5 team. I am not sure what's going on with the DT that decommited from Miami but it would be great to pair Savion Collins with Hundley.
More analysis like this.

at KoC, when 10 of the last 18 post are all from one person ranting and raving ... it doesn’t matter anymore if you were right and you have good points... you’re just a mad man laughing at the rain

Go ahead and offer your contribution. I'll wait.

Player #2 Anthony Williams!

I will give you the real backstory on a (semi) hidden gem.

Anthony received some early provisional aka place holder offers from UF in 2019 and Miami early this year. What that means is that those programs made it known to him that they wanted to evaluate him further.

The only commitable offer Williams had was from us and he took it. That's ok, the kid is plenty good. Here's the story:

Williams ran a very slow 40 at the Opening - something like a 4.9. Some brand programs knew about the kid but wanted to get him on campus to evaluate him further. No doubt that 4.9 time made teams cautious about him.

I talked to a good friend of the family who is a huge Florida high school guy. This man is the amateur version of Blue. Anyways, he has seen Williams play and assures me that the kid is plenty fast. Probably a 4.6 guy.

Again he had a poor run at the 40 but he has plenty of speed to be an excellent college back. He is a true RB, runs straight ahead and it takes two/three guys to bring him down. He has the frame to add another 10-15 lbs of muscle. Again, the kid is a punishing back

We have small backs and we need a guy like William's that will pound straight ahead and pick up that 3&2 or 4&1.

No visits due to COVID allowed him to stay known but hidden if that makes sense. Again he is plenty fast to get the job done and will get reps right away.

Anthony is a very underrated back. Forget about the yards, TD's and placeholder offers that wanna be experts here and in other places talk about.

Strong, tough, aggresive, straight ahead mauler that carries 2-3 would be tacklers for yards everytime he gets the ball.

Last edited:

Anthony received some early provisional aka place holder offers from UF in 2019 and Miami early this year. What that means is that those programs made it known to him that they wanted to evaluate him further.

The only commitable offer Williams had was from us and he took it. That's ok, the kid is plenty good. Here's the story:

Williams ran a very slow 40 at the Opening - something like a 4.9. Some brand programs knew about the kid but wanted to get him on campus to evaluate him further. No doubt that 4.9 time made teams cautious about him.

I talked to a good friend of the family who is a huge Florida high school guy. This man is the amateur version of Blue. Anyways, he has seen Williams play and assures me that the kid is plenty fast. Probably a 4.6 guy.

Again he had a poor run at the 40 but he has plenty of speed to be an excellent college back. He is a true RB, runs straight ahead and it takes two/three guys to bring him down. He has the frame to add another 10-15 lbs of muscle. Again, the kid is a punishing back

We have small backs and we need a guy like William's that will pound straight ahead and pick up that 3&2 or 4&1.

No visits due to COVID allowed him to stay known but hidden if that makes sense. Again he is plenty fast to get the job done and will get reps right away.

Anthony is a very underrated back. Forget about the yards, TD's and placeholder offers that wanna be experts here and in other places talk about.

Strong, tough, aggresive, straight ahead mauler that carries 2-3 would be tacklers for yards everytime he gets the ball.
Thanks - would be interesting to see how our offense looks with that style back. It’s been a while since we have had it (I don’t count Richardson as he flew the coop quite quickly).

And that’s not a knock on our current stable of RB - just curious if it changes anything for us.

Love these analysts

Go ahead and offer your contribution. I'll wait.

I think you are missing my point of the post... I already said you were right on some things and make good points - hell I’m a convert to some of the recruiting critique...

it’s just the frequency and volume, and the back and forth bickering that it creates is getting to be too much!

wouldnt you be better served creating a fan page, a blog or a podcast? you clearly have the time and content...

you might even make some money off of it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT