ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

The ratings accuracy are not the only flaw in the rankings and the reality of the big picture. The ratings are a somewhat subjective and often times inconsistent measures. If FL is truly a hot bed of talent wouldn't it be logical to assume that these ratings are often times relative, the top tier athletes get the most attention and the mid level players are not looked at as close. This leaves a significant number of kids that fly beneath the radar without high ratings but are better recognized by local recruiters who have far more opportunity to scout them? This is huge for UCF. Further, all the attention given to school rankings like Rival are misleading in that the rank is determined by the number of recruits not just the quality of the recruits, so smaller recruiting classes get a lower weighted overall rank.....totally meaningless and useless like the CFP committee! And finally, transfers are not counted in the rankings, just look at the awesome talent we have pulled in from Notre Dame, Alabama, Oregon, Wake Forest and Ole Miss......

- Hayden Kingston
- Aaron Robinson
- Parker Boudreaux
- Canton Kaumatule
- Jake Hescock
- Jon MacCollister
- Tre Nixon

I say rankings don't tell all.....not to worry!
To be honest the more people you sign the better chance you have of hitting a home run. I’d rather sign 1 4*, 19 3* and 5 2* than 3 4*, 10 3* and 1 2*. 25> 14 even if they have 2 more high rated guys.

He’s not a Heupel target anymore. He was a Frost target. We have 2 DBs this class already with similar size and ratings and they are from Miami. Thanks for the Frost/Nobraska update

By the way, he’s one of their weakest recruits and I believe his 3 stars dropped their ratings and brought a chuckle to Urban Meyer.
Yes he was. He was also a former Virginia Tech commit and also had offers from Oregon, Louisville, & Ole Miss. The last os recruiting article posted ITT confirmed UCF wanted him and Bell was in contact.

Dude spent 25 yrs at UCF. Give it a break. Oh yeah, he played here before that. Guy is more Knight than 99.9% of people on this message board.

Would you just answer the question? I didn't insult him here, I just wanted to know if the full story got out yet. Obviously you don't know and just fall back on the whiny crap. So, I'll ask again, do we know why he left? I heard we offered him, but was it a half-assed offer?

PS, sick of the "he's more of a Knight than...."so and so is the statement of a moron. You have no idea how much of a Knight anyone is, except maybe yourself.

Reactions: Mikesi
Virginia DE Woodson looks like a good student and athlete. Hope we get him.

Loyalty is fleeting in these days. Hard to keep student/athletes to their commitments to schools and coaches to their commitments to students/athletes. 8 coaches at a house is meaningless without loyalty :)

Not budging from previous statement about abandonment of staff. The coaches got paid for their time in December, the least act of decency they could fulfill.

Would you just answer the question? I didn't insult him here, I just wanted to know if the full story got out yet. Obviously you don't know and just fall back on the whiny crap. So, I'll ask again, do we know why he left? I heard we offered him, but was it a half-assed offer?

PS, sick of the "he's more of a Knight than...."so and so is the statement of a moron. You have no idea how much of a Knight anyone is, except maybe yourself.
He left probably because either Heupel didn’t want to retain him or wasn’t promised a promotion. UCF did not lowball him, but Nebraska offered a bit more.

100% agree what you said about “he’s more of a Knight than”

I’m a huge fan and I pay a lot to be one. I don’t get paid $200,000- $300,000 a year to bleed black and gold as a coach and get a free scholarship as a player. Fans are important too and without fans there is nothing. I even had someone say that I don’t put it the blood, sweat and tears as a player with all the hard work, practices, etc.

Well.., duh. Fans only arrange their whole schedules and financial situations to attend home and away games, make work and family sacrifices, etc.

Sometimes to sit through an entire 0-12 season in the heat when some of the actually players aren’t even giving a 100% effort. Players and coaches come and go sometimes, but fans are loyal for decades. Sometimes a lifetime, like what i saw in Penn State fans in Ireland. Some being pushed in wheelchairs. 80-90+

So.., nobody is going to tell me that anyone is more loyal and I won’t ever question the loyalty of a true fan.

Most players are loyal to UCF AND so are a lot of fans

Last edited:
The scholarship pays for anywhere you want to live? Or just a certain price and you are responsible for the rest?
The Athletic Scholarship is usually a check per semester and pretty sure it's separate from the free tuition, books, and an unlimited meal plan card. It's an estimate amount on whatever they use to gauge cost of living and it is usually always overvalued so it most likely will cover most(not all) off campus apartment options.

any insiders know how Purdy's mid week visit is going?

is he clicking with his Gold Team host?*

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikesi
For those of you who think Heupel was a bad hire, Chris Hummer, National Football Writer at 247Sports, in an article, "Grading all the head coaching hires from the 2017 carousel,” grades UCF’s hire of Josh Heupel as a C+. He writes Heupel isn’t necessarily a splash hire for a program that could’ve easily made one – UCF was the best Group of Five job out there but he does say Heupel is a good hire. Anyone know anything about Hummer? Maybe this helps put to rest all the talk about Heupel being a lousy hire — probably not,

For those of you who think Heupel was a bad hire, Chris Hummer, National Football Writer at 247Sports, in an article, "Grading all the head coaching hires from the 2017 carousel,” grades UCF’s hire of Josh Heupel as a C+. He writes Heupel isn’t necessarily a splash hire for a program that could’ve easily made one – UCF was the best Group of Five job out there but he does say Heupel is a good hire. Anyone know anything about Hummer? Maybe this helps put to rest all the talk about Heupel being a lousy hire — probably not,

I'm having Canada remorse.
canada-flag-animated-gif-10.gif

I would say B- would be a good hire. C+ no. I’d put Heup at a B.

it's bc Heup's background is more rocky than Frost's. He got fired from his Alma Mater. Frost was hand picked by Chip Kelly to join the Oregon staff & Scott was 'his shadow' for years picking his brain while he moved up the position coach ladder.

haven't heard of him. He has to be an Academic Qualifier risk to be .88 and have Southern Miss as one of the favorites
He had offers from the following schools: Cincinnati, Georgia ( Recruited By: P Kevin Sherrer), Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Louisville, (Recruited By: P L.D. Scott), Memphis, Mississippi State (Recruited By: P D.J. Looney), Missouri, North Carolina, Ole Miss and Tennessee.

I love how 40% of the board is saying “don’t worry we have transfers coming in”. Umm this class isn’t about 2018 or even 2019. This class is the foundation for 2020, long after the five nice transfers are gone
There is no one recruiting class, 2018 or otherwise, that will determine the success of 2020. Students recruited in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 all will determine the success of the 2020 season. You are way ahead of yourself.

If your alleged logic were correct, only the students recruited in 2015 had any effect on 2017 being perfect. Clearly that is not the case.

2020 will not be doomed by whether we obtain a few more recruits in 2018. We are fine now and we already have the foundation for 2020, which we will continue to solidify between now and then.

However, I do like the fact that we are no longer hearing gloom and doom predictions about the upcoming season, as was the case this time last year with errant 5 and 6 win predictions from all of our loud talking yet ill equipped analysts, who felt any time a college team loses 4 DBs they are doomed (without any assessment of the remaining and incoming talent).

So this year, such anti-analysts wish to diminish the value of 4 and 5 star transfers, as compared to an equal amount of incoming freshmen. I guess these self-proclaimed experts would have preferred an additional freshman last year instead of complementing last year's freshmen class with the addition of a Mike Hughes. I need not elaborate on the folly of such thinking.

Let it be known that incoming freshmen AND seasoned transfers are both valuable to the growth of our program. Note that several of the incoming transfers are Florida natives who we attempted to recruit out of high school. So basically, we now get these 'freshmen", if you prefer freshmen, after they spent their redshirt year somewhere else and they now realize UCF is a better fit. In any event, we are bringing in high value transfers that we wanted as freshmen.

At least now, our pessimists are predicting that doom will be delayed until 3 seasons away. That IS progress. Maybe by 2020, all will realize that this program is already successfully implementing the components of long term success.

Reactions: 80'sKnight
There is no one recruiting class, 2018 or otherwise, that will determine the success of 2020. Students recruited in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 all will determine the success of the 2020 season. You are way ahead of yourself.

If your alleged logic were correct, only the students recruited in 2015 had any effect on 2017 being perfect. Clearly that is not the case.

2020 will not be doomed by whether we obtain a few more recruits in 2018. We are fine now and we already have the foundation for 2020, which we will continue to solidify between now and then.

However, I do like the fact that we are no longer hearing gloom and doom predictions about the upcoming season, as was the case this time last year with errant 5 and 6 win predictions from all of our loud talking yet ill equipped analysts, who felt any time a college team loses 4 DBs they are doomed (without any assessment of the remaining and incoming talent).

So this year, such anti-analysts wish to diminish the value of 4 and 5 star transfers, as compared to an equal amount of incoming freshmen. I guess these self-proclaimed experts would have preferred an additional freshman last year instead of complementing last year's freshmen class with the addition of a Mike Hughes. I need not elaborate on the folly of such thinking.

Let it be known that incoming freshmen AND seasoned transfers are both valuable to the growth of our program. Note that several of the incoming transfers are Florida natives who we attempted to recruit out of high school. So basically, we now get these 'freshmen", if you prefer freshmen, after they spent their redshirt year somewhere else and they now realize UCF is a better fit. In any event, we are bringing in high value transfers that we wanted as freshmen.

At least now, our pessimists are predicting that doom will be delayed until 3 seasons away. That IS progress. Maybe by 2020, all will realize that this program is already successfully implementing the components of long term success.
Who here said that 2018 was doomed?

It’s funny you talk about the folly of downplaying transfers as you point out one example, who just happens to be the greatest transfer in program history and stuck around for one year.

It’s funny you talk about the folly of downplaying transfers as you point out one example, who just happens to be the greatest transfer in program history and stuck around for one year.
good point Hughes was a season and possible program changing transfer with the plays he made in the biggest games this season but we got him for 1 year. I don't think it's a good idea to fill a roster with too many Juco transfers for that reason alone, UCF gets straight out of HS talents like Snelson for 3 seasons minimum.

Exactly. Although I was mentioning Hughes to provide the most recent example, let us recognize that via Hughes, a 1 high 3 star transfer for 1 year only, we had a HUGE impact.

So imagine what impact can be achieved by 5 transfers, including one 4 and one 5 star, where all have 2 to 3 years to potentially play for us. Thanks for helping me to make that point that this current package of transfers is even more promising for boosting our program.

Reactions: 80'sKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT