ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Does anyone know whether we got any commits out of this weekend?
I think the status of some of our current targets depends on the commit status of other more desirable targets since we currently have around 20 new scholarships for 2018 including early signees and transfers. I haven't seen any twitter buzz of new commits from this past weekend though.

come-at-me-5a6f3f.jpg

I think the status of some of our current targets depends on the commit status of other more desirable targets since we currently have around 20 new scholarships for 2018 including early signees and transfers. I haven't seen any twitter buzz of new commits from this past weekend though.
Of the 14 commits we now have, only 6 are from Florida. Are we having trouble this year recruiting at home? If so, what's the problem?

This whole time I thought “Wildgoose” was a nickname. It might even be better now that I know it is someone’s actual name haha.

Of the 14 commits we now have, only 6 are from Florida. Are we having trouble this year recruiting at home? If so, what's the problem?
Correction only 8 are from Florida.

We can't keep a coaching staff long enough to take advantage of our local ties.
Well the coaches that just left don't seem to be having a problem nor do other schools who were on the coaching carousel.

Well the coaches that just left don't seem to be having a problem nor do other schools who were on the coaching carousel.
Frost is not recruiting at a level to compete in the Big 10 yet. They are recruiting better than at UCF but that is because it is a P5 school. The staff coming to UCF is coming from recruiting to the SEC. It is a much taller order to convince a player with SEC offers to follow the coach to UCF than it is to convince players you were targeting for UCF to go to a Big 10 school instead.

only 2 offers for this latest commit....

Frost is not recruiting at a level to compete in the Big 10 yet. They are recruiting better than at UCF but that is because it is a P5 school. The staff coming to UCF is coming from recruiting to the SEC. It is a much taller order to convince a player with SEC offers to follow the coach to UCF than it is to convince players you were targeting for UCF to go to a Big 10 school instead.
I've been beating this drum pre Frost but I don't know why any Florida players decide to go play in the Big 10

Imagine if there were ever a movement with Florida players to say screw the rest of the country and all of them committed to In State Programs. Florida could have 5 ranked teams every season.

it helps that Frost and Beckton were establishing these relationships while at UCF

I've been beating this drum pre Frost but I don't know why any Florida players decide to go play in the Big 10

Imagine if there were ever a movement with Florida players to say screw the rest of the country and all of them committed to In State Programs. Florida could have 5 ranked teams every season.

And wouldn't that be wonderful and exciting!!!

it helps that Frost and Beckton were establishing these relationships while at UCF

I completely agree that Beckton's leaving was a huge loss for UCF and I still contend that he wanted to stay as did Troy Walters.

May just be under the radar. Coached by Patrick Surtain at American Heritage and were undefeated state champs this year. Video looks like he's got pretty good speed, but some interesting tackling. Lots of going for the strip instead of wrapping up.

Maybe can flip his teammate.
:joy:
Or this one.

Last edited:
May just be under the radar. Coached by Patrick Surtain at American Heritage and were undefeated state champs this year. Video looks like he's got pretty good speed, but some interesting tackling. Lots of going for the strip instead of wrapping up.

Maybe can flip his teammate. :joy:
Or this one.
I thought this was the RB who was a position switch but I think he went to Miami Northwestern

You are making my point. They have connections to local schools. SF took all of the coaches with him that have been recruiting Florida for 2 years. UF and FSU kept or brought in coaches from other schools that were recruiting Florida. We brought in defensive coaches that were recruiting Florida, hence why our Florida recruits are defensive.

It's been almost 2 months since Heupel was hired and I still don't know what our brand is.

Unranked and only two offers. Did you look at his tapes?
Yes. Shannon wanted him, because he made 3 interceptions last year with his elbows while all those 4 star guys had to use their hands
Shannon knows talent

Maybe can flip his teammate. :joy:
Or this one.
Yea, that's what I saw. Lots of hustle but no skills. But, if he's got the talent, the speed and the desire, skills can be taught.

hope so, he's talented. the only reason he was most likely pushed out of Georgia's class is bc they are about the have the best recruiting class possibly ever on paper
You got that right. My son-in-law, huge Dawg fan, can't quit telling me about it.

247 Juan did a Q&A and he echoed some concerns that have been posted itt. He's not a homer and just analyzes it from a talent & recruiting analyst perspective. Reading between the lines he isn't too impressed at Heup as a recruiter.

This bit about the uniforms would suck. I hope Nike will still give UCF the awesome combos even though Frost is gone.

https://twitter.com/juanctoribio/status/958356078726656001
Juan Toribio@juanctoribio

Yeah. This time last year, UCF added Jones, Richardson, Marlon Williams and a couple others. That doesn’t happen now with the early period. https://twitter.com/ucfbiggie/status/958355768658587648 …

10:07 AM - Jan 30, 2018

Those guys weren't big factors this year. Biggest impact was Williams who in 13 games had 17 catches 270 yards and 2 TDs.I think we'll be ok if we don't add this production on NSD for next season.We aren't going to get the 4 and 5 star guys. Most 3* are already committed. We will get guys that will redshirt and be ready in 19.

Marlon Williams had no impact? are you kidding me, that guy is a dog and will be a very good player. And E. Greene is going to get more touches this season. Just bc they don't put up Tre numbers as a True Freshman doesn't mean they won't be very good players. Marlon is a playmaker

Williams had a big impact. No questions there. There are still some nice targets out there that UCF is in play for. A couple of the big ones won't announce before signing day. We will see how it all shakes out.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Marlon Williams had no impact? are you kidding me, that guy is a dog and will be a very good player. And E. Greene is going to get more touches this season. Just bc they don't put up Tre numbers as a True Freshman doesn't mean they won't be very good players. Marlon is a playmaker
Will be great is making a leap. Richardson left. Jones and the few others not so much. Proving my point that we still may sign a guy or 2 that will be better than those mentioned.Plus I didn't say no impact. I gave you his stats.You guys want to say how great Frost was at recruiting but Heupels guys haven't even practiced yet and want to say he sucks.

Reactions: Mikesi
Will be great is making a leap. Richardson left. Jones and the few others not so much. Proving my point that we still may sign a guy or 2 that will be better than those mentioned.Plus I didn't say no impact. I gave you his stats.You guys want to say how great Frost was at recruiting but Heupels guys haven't even practiced yet and want to say he sucks.

using the false equivalence to just be contrarian

any time someone brings up a concern it automatically turns into an accusation of being a Heup hater or a Frost hugger. I and the few others that have raised concerns all are rooting for UCF and are not looking for some 'E Award' to be proven right.

This board says to ignore stars and to look more at the offer list. Well one of our recent commits only other offer was from FAMU. Even FIU down the road doesn't offer him? That's what Juan and others are echoing. Could that player become a 'diamond in the rough'? maybe but when the commits rolling in all have very limited offers lists all those sleepers could just turn into what they thought they were and that's how declines start.

Heupel is definitely taking some gambles with some of these recruits panning out, but is probably forced into it with the new early signing period. Not much tape on Lester as he was only at American Heritage for this past season and not at his primary position. Woodson missed alot of time in HS due to a knee injury so again taking a risk based on limited film. Same thing with Elbert who was an early signee. These could be home runs that just weren't on recruiting radar before early signing day when most teams were filling up their scholarships. May have to rely on those a bit this year and based on the team returning and incoming transfers it will probably work for a year. Just can't make it a regular trend.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Heupel is definitely taking some gambles with some of these recruits panning out, but is probably forced into it with the new early signing period. Not much tape on Lester as he was only at American Heritage for this past season and not at his primary position. Woodson missed alot of time in HS due to a knee injury so again taking a risk based on limited film. Same thing with Elbert who was an early signee. These could be home runs that just weren't on recruiting radar before early signing day when most teams were filling up their scholarships. May have to rely on those a bit this year and based on the team returning and incoming transfers it will probably work for a year. Just can't make it a regular trend.
I could see Woodson turning into something and I think that injury had a lot to do with falling off the radar. Similar to the B. Perriman recruiting story years ago. But the rest not so much

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT