ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Hookers and blow

giphy.gif

We SEC now*

I’ve really liked the transfers Gus has brought in but this latest one feels like a bit of a head scratcher to me. With MAR coming in and with Thompson, Richardson, Good (to name a few) in the room, it seems like we could’ve used this transfer to get some help in other positions that we lost a lot on last year or positions groups that were just plain bad last year... hope I’m wrong though! I’m fully on the GUS BUS.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I’ve really liked the transfers Gus has brought in but this latest one feels like a bit of a head scratcher to me. With MAR coming in and with Thompson, Richardson, Good (to name a few) in the room, it seems like we could’ve used this transfer to get some help in other positions that we lost a lot on last year or positions groups that were just plain bad last year... hope I’m wrong though! I’m fully on the GUS BUS.
my take is he is not confident in the RB talent already here

his offense is run heavy from what ive seen, at Auburn he used multiple big backs and we usually use the opposite here, I think this guy if the first RB over 200 on our roster

Reactions: PhDee
I think this is a play just to get a guy who can get the tough yards, something we have lacked last couple years. He’s 6-1 220lbs, that’s a Mack truck compared to our current guys. No doubt he saw the RB room and knew he needed a bigger back or 2.

On a complete side note, I can’t wait to see Johnny Richardson some more though. He looked electric couple times I saw him get carries last year.

He played safety in HS. I wouldn’t bank on him being a RB at UCF.

He's going to be the goal line and 4th and 1 guy

He was headed to Miami Ohio until today. He did well Freshman year. 866 yards and then has been hurt. Doesn’t look to be a featured back but but a few carries a game is all we need.
Thanks.

I Noticed the decreasing carry load - guessing injury related?

Either way, Hope he finds a good home at UCF. Should be able to play 2 years if he wants, right?

I think you could be right. A number of our backs are young and inexperienced.
the problem that both Frost and Heup had ..RBs that can get tough yards in between the tackles. Most/all our RBs since 2016 are fast but barely break 180 pounds

One of Auburn’s favorite plays is the traditional “Buck Sweep,” a play in which both guards pull towards the edge to block for the running back. Malzahn has committed to running this play over the years and is able to run it from multiple formations to keep defenses honest. The main coaching points of the Buck Sweep start with the H-back, or what Malzahn calls the “FB.” His job is to “stalemate” the end man on the line of scrimmage and allow the pulling guards and running back to get outside of him.

Apparently this requires a big back...........

Reactions: dr_ligma and Yaes
One of Auburn’s favorite plays is the traditional “Buck Sweep,” a play in which both guards pull towards the edge to block for the running back. Malzahn has committed to running this play over the years and is able to run it from multiple formations to keep defenses honest. The main coaching points of the Buck Sweep start with the H-back, or what Malzahn calls the “FB.” His job is to “stalemate” the end man on the line of scrimmage and allow the pulling guards and running back to get outside of him.

Looks like speed is more important to me on any outside run.

Reactions: Yaes

the SEC requires a big everything

We are in big need of adding a ready to start transfer LB. The LB room is terrible and lacks developable talent.

T-Will is knows to develop LB's but there's only so much a coach can do when the talent is not there.

We added two new 2021 recruits, one should have never been offered to begin with. The other kid I like but he is a low ceiling player and wont to able to contribute significantly for a while.

Now the problem is who'd there in the portal that we could realistically get and can help right away?

To'o To'o everyone wants, so forget about him.

We also badly need a TE that can contribute right away. The two kids coming in fro high school are not the type that will get burn right away either

Last edited:
Reactions: Endeavor.
If you listen to the Buck Sweep video CGM says the KEY to this play is the FB........

who knows he could be wrong*
I’m not seeing your point. That’s the blocking key. Need speed to get outside and race down sideline. Not a bigger slower back.

I’m not seeing your point. That’s the blocking key. Need speed to get outside and race down sideline. Not a bigger slower back.
You said "Looks like speed is more important to me on any outside run"....... My point with respect to why CGM went after the new transfer from NW.......we already had plenty of speed on the roster to get to the edge.......we didn't have a bigger back required to run the Buck Sweep type of play. That is why CGM added a big back to the roster. This play is a key element to CGMs scheme and therefore the transfer was very important

Reactions: U C to the F
You said "Looks like speed is more important to me on any outside run"....... My point with respect to why CGM went after the new transfer from NW.......we already had plenty of speed on the roster to get to the edge.......we didn't have a bigger back required to run the Buck Sweep type of play. That is why CGM added a big back to the roster. This play is a key element to CGMs scheme and therefore the transfer was very important
He’s a RB. Not a FB. He’s not the key to your point. The FB won’t be running the ball. He’ll be blocking. FBs or H Backs weigh 240. Not 220.

He’s a RB. Not a FB. He’s not the key to your point. The FB won’t be running the ball. He’ll be blocking. FBs or H Backs weigh 240. Not 220.
You must have not read where it said that.........."The main coaching points of the Buck Sweep start with the H-back, or what Malzahn calls the “FB.”

So despite what you think, this kid is undeniably the biggest back on the roster and will be used primarily as a blocking back in this scheme

Reactions: U C to the F
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT