ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

I could see Woodson turning into something and I think that injury had a lot to do with falling off the radar. Similar to the B. Perriman recruiting story years ago. But the rest not so much
Who is in "the rest" that are low rated recruits you aren't happy with? You don't think injury played a part in Elbert being under recruited? He and McMullen were the only 2 star recruits on early signing day per 247. Currently UCF sitting at 3 2* (including Lester) and 1 unrated (Woodson)

Reactions: Miltonian
Who is in "the rest" that are low rated recruits you aren't happy with? You don't think injury played a part in Elbert being under recruited? He and McMullen were the only 2 star recruits on early signing day per 247. Currently UCF sitting at 3 2* (including Lester) and 1 unrated (Woodson)
Lester and if that RB from Miami NW ends up being part of the class, I think he's a massive reach especially when you push Jolly out of the class.

I think there is this strategy of throw away offers by Randy Shannon to try to recruit the more talented teammates and I'm concerned about that backfiring. That usually does not work unless they are family members like the Griffin twins.

We've done that before under the GOL regime, so it's not anything new. Yeah, it's a gamble, but isn't every recruit until they hit the field?

The fact that Kendrick hasn't committed leads me to believe he doesn't have a commit-able offer from UCF. Because he only has one other offer from an FCS school. Believe there are around 3-5 slots left with Purdy, Wildgoose, Ahmad, Benson, Green, and Thomas all in play. Kendrick will likely be waiting to see how many of those UCF whiffs on before he can commit. Probably also why he was pushed back to the last possible OV weekend.

That makes two more guys this past weekend Safety and DE for the defensive side of the ball. I really do like the emphasis on defensive players this class. We already have 5 OLs in this class and plenty of offensive talent on our team. If we have a QB transfer coming in from Wake we'll be fine at QB until next season. I like the idea of Heupel coaching KZ and Dean over the next 6 years.. We'll see if Mack has game this year.

Reactions: KnightLife1
Not sure why everyone is so quick to discount Mack as player. If he gets the playbook down and gets some coaching from Heupel he might surprise us. He definitely has the physical tools so let’s wait and see what Coach can do. Heard he’s pretty good with quarterbacks.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Not sure why everyone is so quick to discount Mack as player. If he gets the playbook down and gets some coaching from Heupel he might surprise us. He definitely has the physical tools so let’s wait and see what Coach can do. Heard he’s pretty good with quarterbacks.
I agree. How can folks already be talking about any high schooler as being the "face of' the program, when Mack has a very strong rating, good size and has also been loyal to this program. He deserves a chance to compete and the respect to at least not be overlooked.

Yea, that's what I saw. Lots of hustle but no skills. But, if he's got the talent, the speed and the desire, skills can be taught.
Below average tackling skills, but at least he has no fear of contact, and that cannot be taught. He has very good speed and one other thing which is hard to teach: how to jump a route. That is all about timing and technique and DBs who don't know it when they begin college almost never develop it after. It makes the difference between one who merely defends and one who intercepts. He has that knack, and for that reason, I am glad he chose to be a Knight.

I agree. How can folks already be talking about any high schooler as being the "face of' the program, when Mack has a very strong rating, good size and has also been loyal to this program. He deserves a chance to compete and the respect to at least not be overlooked.

Yep. My money is on the 6'3" 230lb guy.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I could see Woodson turning into something and I think that injury had a lot to do with falling off the radar. Similar to the B. Perriman recruiting story years ago. But the rest not so much
I agree. I looked at what hemightbejeremy calls his "limited film" and I think he has great potential. How bad was the knee injury?

247 Juan did a Q&A and he echoed some concerns that have been posted itt. He's not a homer and just analyzes it from a talent & recruiting analyst perspective. Reading between the lines he isn't too impressed at Heup as a recruiter.

This bit about the uniforms would suck. I hope Nike will still give UCF the awesome combos even though Frost is gone.

At this stage it is hard to be really impressed. We can only hope he has a better eye for talent than we do.

That makes two more guys this past weekend Safety and DE for the defensive side of the ball. I really do like the emphasis on defensive players this class. We already have 5 OLs in this class and plenty of offensive talent on our team. If we have a QB transfer coming in from Wake we'll be fine at QB until next season. I like the idea of Heupel coaching KZ and Dean over the next 6 years.. We'll see if Mack has game this year.

No guarantee we will be able to keep Charlie Dean if Power 5 schools come calling. In recruiting days 2019 is a long way off.

Mack had a better offer list and ranking than every other QB on the roster and currently committed. And he came from the VA hotbed area of talent that produced Vick, Percy Harvin, etc. And judging by the sidelines he seems to be a great teammate so I'm rooting for him to be #2 This Fall.

I agree. I looked at what hemightbejeremy calls his "limited film" and I think he has great potential. How bad was the knee injury?
ACL injury, but not sure if that was the only injury. He missed first 3 years and only played as a senior. Thus the limited offers and game film. Highlight video looks like a man amongst boys.

You think Heupel tries for a QB in this cycle or waits until next year?

For those of you asking about quarterback recruit for this year’s class look at Hayden Kingston, Wake Forest Transfer, who was a redshirt freshman in 2017. The following are some of his accomplishments in High School:
• Second team all-state Class 7A quarterback in 2015
• Runner-up for the Florida Dairy Farmer Player of the Year
• Earned first team All-District 12 and first team All-Cape Coast Conference
• Named the FNLR/Spacecoast Daily Co-Offensive Player of the Year and the Brighthouse Networks Football Offensive Player of the Year
• Led the state of Florida in passing yards among all classes in 2015
• Was second in the state in touchdown passes
• Threw for 3,876 yards and 42 touchdowns as a senior
• Completed 72 percent of his passes and tossed 23 touchdowns as a junior
• Led the Hawks to a pair of District Championships and the state title game in 2015

No guarantee we will be able to keep Charlie Dean if Power 5 schools come calling. In recruiting days 2019 is a long way off.

Charlie Dean's senior year will be interesting. If he stays at Tampa Catholic he will be losing his two best weapons (Ahmarean Brown and Joe Hodge) who are transferring to Jefferson. Word is, Dean may transfer to Plant, but he'd have to beat out 3 pretty well established qb's to see any playing time, and frankly I don't think he can. I guess my point is, it is unlikely that P5 teams will be lining up for his services. But it's not that he can't play. He just might not have the proper support players to put up big numbers.

247 bumped all 3 of UCF's 2 star recruits to 3 stars today. Wonder what Woodson will come in at.

some chatter that there might be an upward trend this Final week. Hopefully there is one of those wtf flips from some Dade or Broward County recruit we don’t know about
Yep. Toribio added predictions for Ahmad, Benson, and Green today. All for UCF. Also all recent predictions for Wildgoose are UCF. If all those commit that would be a heck of a close. Purdy or Baldonado would be a cherry on top.

Reactions: Yaes and Mikesi
Yep. Toribio added predictions for Ahmad, Benson, and Green today. All for UCF. Also all recent predictions for Wildgoose are UCF. If all those commit that would be a heck of a close. Purdy or Baldonado would be a cherry on top.
Baldonado idk what happened with him, many saying he goes to Oregon now. I thought UCF was his dream school :eek:

I’ll wait. You guys just don’t get it. All the relationships have been built by Frost, Beckton, Fisher, etc. They left. We were able to sign most of the past recruits in the early signing period. The rest flipped due to coaching uncertainties or position coach vacancies. Frost grabbed a few as well.

As far as now, there are only some stragglers remaining (although very good players) who haven’t made up their minds already, however only Shannon has the Florida high school relationships.
Unfortunately for us, all of the Florida G5 coaching staffs and Miami staff are coming back and we still can’t contend with UF and Florida State who have new coaches, but with Florida ties. We cannot grab those potential recruits.

So, basically:

Heupel is new

Heupel has no Florida recruiting ties

UCF is G5

UCF position coaches have little Florida ties

Florida recruiting is too competitive for all the above

Give the guy time and be thankful for what we have, returning players, past and present transfers waiting to play

Anyone who thinks that we are going to get a top 40-50 recruiting class isn’t living in reality

So... question.., if Frost stayed, what would be our ranking???

Probably the greatest in UCF history. 25-40 nationally ranked is my guess

Last edited:
So.., who was going to recruit better?

Frost??? Gone

Candle?? Please

Summerlin?? He didn’t want to coach at UCF

Sorry everyone, but It’s live or die by Heupel
A lot of people are going to look foolish if he pulls out some NSD magic

The class will finish around 60 with some diamonds in the rough. Just like all other UCF classes. Nothing to see here.

Guys, I have made my decision. I will be using my final year of eligibility to play at UCF. All I do is catch touchdowns.
Thought that you were going to pull a Chaquan and spend more time with the fam. Glad that you are back.

Reactions: Flem3000
to answer Mike's question I think Candle(currently has a higher ranked recruiting class than UCF as Coach of a MAC Program Toledo) would have recruited better and Tony Elliot probably would have as well.

It's not to say Heup can't prove to be a great gameday coach and turn into a good recruiter a year late after showing results with a UCF hat on

to answer Mike's question I think Candle(currently has a higher ranked recruiting class than UCF as Coach of a MAC Program Toledo) would have recruited better and Tony Elliot probably would have as well.

It's not to say Heup can't prove to be a great gameday coach and turn into a good recruiter a year late after showing results with a UCF hat on
Correct, but Heupel’s UCF class is more incomplete than Candle’s by a lot. Additionally, he’s still at Toledo which is huge. I bet if he went to UCF and you could compare Apples to Apples, he probably wouldn’t fair as well. At least Heupel can sell his NC, near Heisman win and the fact that he coached a successful QB in one of the nation’s and SEC’s top offenses.

What would Candle be selling to Florida recruits?

A 3 loss MAC record and a Miami defeat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT