ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Correct, but Heupel’s UCF class is more incomplete than Candle’s by a lot. Additionally, he’s still at Toledo which is huge. I bet if he went to UCF and you could compare Apples to Apples, he probably wouldn’t fair as well. At least Heupel can sell his NC, near Heisman win and the fact that he coached a successful QB in one of the nation’s and SEC’s top offenses.

What would Candle be selling to Florida recruits?

A 3 loss MAC record and a Miami defeat.
I looked up stuff on him during the coaching search and his offensive staff has more florida ties, his RB coach played at USF and Candle spent years focused on Florida when he was an assistant. Think Josh Newberg of 247 wrote something up on him as a UCF option bc of that. Heup current staff's Fl ties are all on Defense. Which is fine for this cycle bc we have so many underclassmen on the offensive side of the ball but Frost changed the formula where UCF is an offense first spread team which is the perfect formula for the Program right now. The next class will need a lot more offense coming in so hopefully Heup, Lebby, and the rest of the offensive side improves those ties the rest of the year working towards the '19 class.

Reactions: Mikesi
I looked up stuff on him during the coaching search and his offensive staff has more florida ties, his RB coach played at USF and Candle spent years focused on Florida when he was an assistant. Think Josh Newberg of 247 wrote something up on him as a UCF option bc of that. Heup current staff's Fl ties are all on Defense. Which is fine for this cycle bc we have so many underclassmen on the offensive side of the ball but Frost changed the formula where UCF is an offense first spread team which is the perfect formula for the Program right now. The next class will need a lot more offense coming in so hopefully Heup, Lebby, and the rest of the offensive side improves those ties the rest of the year working towards the '19 class.
Then maybe Candle would have a comparable or better class at UCF, but many questions remain

Would we have Shannon and the other “better” assistants like Ellarbee?

Who will be a better sell after a successful first year. Heupel and his or Candle with his? Probably the unknown former offensive coordinator with more accolades (Heupel). Like Frost was an unknown as a head coach.

Do we want a great Toledo offensive mind or SEC complete offensive turnaround at Missouri mind as our gameday coach?

Last edited:
Then maybe Candle would have a comparable or better class at UCF, but many questions remain

Would we have Shannon and the other “better” assistants like Ellarbee?

Who will be a better sell after a successful first year. Heupel and his or Candle with his? Probably the unknown former offensive coordinator with more accolades (Heupel). Like Frost was an unknown as a head coach.

Do we want a great Toledo offensive mind or SEC complete offensive turnaround at Missouri mind as our gameday coach?

Our coaching staff reminds me of the 'Remember the Titans' coaching staff. Coach Boone runs the offense and Coach Yost runs the defense. They don't know or like each other, just there to do a job and each has his own guys. 1st loss and all hell is going to break loose.

What is the point of discussing Toledo? I would take the combo of Heupel / Shannon over Candle / whoever 8 days a week.

I'm ok with this class as it sits, as it's obvious that this staff is working on .....stay with me now....RELATIONSHIPS

giphy.gif

We have to keep in mind that we have highly recruited TE and WR transfers coming with this recruiting class as we look at offensive positions recruited.

I agree 100%

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Our coaching staff reminds me of the 'Remember the Titans' coaching staff. Coach Boone runs the offense and Coach Yost runs the defense. They don't know or like each other, just there to do a job and each has his own guys. 1st loss and all hell is going to break loose.
Strong side!

What is the point of discussing Toledo? I would take the combo of Heupel / Shannon over Candle / whoever 8 days a week.

I'm ok with this class as it sits, as it's obvious that this staff is working on .....stay with me now....RELATIONSHIPS
sorry about the clutter on what is done but he mentioned Candle on a list that would have recruited worse at UCF and I disagree.

like bizzle mentioned staff cohesion might be a concern. Danny White has done everything right so we all want this to be work out as well but it seems like a patchwork coaching staff and '2 sides'. He wanted to go 'Power 5 coordinator/Former QB' again but the path there was not quite the same.

Back to closing strong #getHeuped

I trust Danny White He’s been nearly 100% spot on in his hires and there’s a good reason that he didn’t pick any other previously mentioned coaches We might not even know the reasons

So we’re getting away from the athletic lean lineman Frost wanted to mammoth guys who by just pure speculation are less mobile.

I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer, I’m just not a fan. It’s just feels like going backwards after we were just wildly successful with a new style of play and a 3-4 defense. It’s O’Leary ball with a twist.

We better keep up with the times of strength and conditioning. Duval made such a huge difference. I credit him a lot, for us going undefeated with 12 straight weeks of football in a row. Our guys were eating right, sleeping properly, and in great shape. I’m just scared of going backwards.

So we’re getting away from the athletic lean lineman Frost wanted to mammoth guys who by just pure speculation are less mobile.

I’m not trying to be a Debbie downer, I’m just not a fan. It’s just feels like going backwards after we were just wildly successful with a new style of play and a 3-4 defense. It’s O’Leary ball with a twist.

We better keep up with the times of strength and conditioning. Duval made such a huge difference. I credit him a lot, for us going undefeated with 12 straight weeks of football in a row. Our guys were eating right, sleeping properly, and in great shape. I’m just scared of going backwards.
We also couldn’t get 1 yard on 3rd and 4th and 1.

We also couldn’t get 1 yard on 3rd and 4th and 1.

If we had Jawon Hamilton we would have. We saw the greatest changes in two years from Milton and the o-line. Those leaner athletic lineman dominated Auburn’s defensive line. While our athletic lbs abused Auburn’s bigger offensive line.

Bigger isn’t always better.

I thought the short yardage issue was going to eventually catch up to Frost but it never did. Milton's ability to make big plays through the air limited those situations

Uh, you may want to look at Frost's Oline recruits. Jordan Johnson was the only starting olineman in 2017 that Frost recruited. The rest were statue players who were small in size because UCF wasn't pulling high rated olinemen in those classes.

https://247sports.com/player/samuel-jackson-88975 (6-6 332lbs)
https://247sports.com/player/julio-castillo-93760 (6-6 315lbs)
https://247sports.com/player/aaron-dowdell-44691 (6-4.5 310lbs)

I do like seeing a 6’5 WR. With TreQuan leaving one thing we don’t have a lot of is size at receiver. Other than Cam Stewart and maybe Gabe Davis I cant think of any.

Purdy got a Texas A&M offer and is visiting this weekend. Over this guy at this point. 2 weeks ago Boise State was his best offer and now he's wasting coaches time flying across the country to kiss his ass

My guess he picks Bama if they take him, timeline favors them since he went from deciding by this weekend to announcing on signing day

Reactions: firm_bizzle

The light weight OL they recruited in the first year didn't make the field. In year 2 after getting our butts kicked in the cure bowl our lineman gained 20+ pounds and SF recruited heavier lineman. I don't see step back in OL.

The light weight OL they recruited in the first year didn't make the field. In year 2 after getting our butts kicked in the cure bowl our lineman gained 20+ pounds and SF recruited heavier lineman. I don't see step back in OL.
Correct. The UCF linemen were as big as ever
Just leaner, stronger, more athletic and had better stamina. The small offensive linemen idea failed.

Purdy got a Texas A&M offer and is visiting this weekend. Over this guy at this point. 2 weeks ago Boise State was his best offer and now he's wasting coaches time flying across the country to kiss his ass

My guess he picks Bama if they take him, timeline favors them since he went from deciding by this weekend to announcing on signing day
I was over him when he said that he would announce on signing day. As a QB you need to be on board first and recruit others. Bye.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I was over him when he said that he would announce on signing day. As a QB you need to be on board first and recruit others. Bye.
yeah after Joiner blew off UCF last minute for an OV when he had an open weekend and Purdy's antics Heup needs to say screw Arizona prospects at this point. Their HS Football is overrated anyway.

Get another QB from Florida, Georgia, Virginia or Texas. Or go back to Hawaii, at least their QB prospects are having a good track record in College Football.

Reactions: JAFFX2

He might get picked up by Bama if they don't land the 4 star they are battling Princeton for. He may actually be number 3 of 3 QB offers they have made. Seemed like the real competition was Iowa State, or is TA&M the late breaking favorite?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT