ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Glad this period is pretty much in the books. We've seen how the high ratings for some of these athletes leads them to false entitlement attitude which is why we've had problems with some of our 4-stars in the past. Lower recruits come in knowing they have to earn their starting jobs over multiple years.
Or the rankings are just garbage to begin with

Or the rankings are just garbage to begin with
yes there is some bias but I wouldn't call them garbage. The numbers project pretty well to W-Ls over 4-5 year period. I saw a post a few days about the average season finish ranking over a full cycle and UCF was I think 65th which equaled their average recruiting ranking over the same time period . Obviously the 0-12 downturn screwed up that average but with a higher level of recruiting that downturn is not possible.

yes there is some bias but I wouldn't call them garbage. The numbers project pretty well to W-Ls over 4-5 year period. I saw a post a few days about the average season finish ranking over a full cycle and UCF was I think 65th which equaled their average recruiting ranking over the same time period . Obviously the 0-12 downturn screwed up that average but with a higher level of recruiting that downturn is not possible.
The biggest unknown in all of this is the unknown college ceiling factor. Some of these highly rated recruits are coming from their high school statistics. In high school we had a fellow player who went to university of maryland because he ran over everybody (kinda like Richardson) but in college he never amounted to much. He had hit his ceiling. That's why I like comments about wingspan and bodies that are ready to be grown into. Of course, speed is something that you can't develop either and we need to keep bringing this on board.

The biggest unknown in all of this is the unknown college ceiling factor. Some of these highly rated recruits are coming from their high school statistics. In high school we had a fellow player who went to university of maryland because he ran over everybody (kinda like Richardson) but in college he never amounted to much. He had hit his ceiling. That's why I like comments about wingspan and bodies that are ready to be grown into. Of course, speed is something that you can't develop either and we need to keep bringing this on board.
I've heard that is the issue with recruits from the State of Texas is that they hit their ceiling and peak too young in comparison to Florida recruits

It's a very nice looking campus. visited in the early 2000's for the Arizona game, not the biggest city, but as far as big 10 school town its prolly in the top 5 behind Minnesota, Columbus, Northwestern, Maybe Maryland, Nebraska, Rutgers? However their fans are trash. They will yell F*ck You chants, ect.

Rutgers is a garbage college town. It's spread out all over God's pavement earth across multiple campus', it's not safe, it's cold...ugh. There is a reason I went to UCF while nearly all my friends went to Rutgers.

Rutgers is a garbage college town. It's spread out all over God's pavement earth across multiple campus', it's not safe, it's cold...ugh. There is a reason I went to UCF while nearly all my friends went to Rutgers.
I was just speaking of city size, I didn't realize it was only 56,000 people...I guess it's a lot smaller than Madison.

Can someone explain Vanderbilts ranking then? 45th in 2018. in the 50s in 2016 and 2017.
How about Maryland? They're top 25.
There is a P5 bias in the rankings, but looking at a school year to year rankings you can notice trends. Here are UCFs 247 composite scores since 2002

2002 156.61
2003 109
2004 73.92
2005 115.27
2006 112.86
2007 154.55
2008 162.5
2009 163.27
2010 189.21
2011 158.74
2012 113.11
2013 139.32
2014 160.19
2015 161.34
2016 162.49
2017 182.8
2018 167.37

Clearly 2009-2011 set up the run of 30+ wins over 3 years and Fiesta Bowl win from 2012-2014 and then in 2012 and 2013 the recruiting was bad which led to the disaster that was 2015. Even then the 2014 and 2015 post Fiesta Bowl talent was getting stocked up (Trequan smith AAC rookie of the year on a winless team). Now this is the 5th straight solid recruiting class which hopefully will allow UCF to avoid the GOL every other year slump that we went through after first joining CUSA.

You also have to factor in that the recruiting polls do not count transfers into their totals while they do use up scholarships(and points towards the schools total)

If you add in the 5 transfers to our class total, we would be ranked much higher. As a total class, we are looking really, really good.

Purdy was waiting on TAMU or Bama and UCF processed him. Now he can enjoy his winters in Iowa. Did he have Bama and TAMU hats at the signing celebration?

I get picking Wisconsin over UCF , but not Iowa State
Maybe it’s just as simple as he’s going where he thinks he has the shortest path to starting. Campbell seems to be a solid, above average coach. From a weather standpoint, yeah, we’re way better but a lot of things go into these kids decisions.

Maybe it’s just as simple as he’s going where he thinks he has the shortest path to starting. Campbell seems to be a solid, above average coach. From a weather standpoint, yeah, we’re way better but a lot of things go into these kids decisions.
Matt Campbell is a hell of a coach.I would have given my left nut for him to be our coach. Unfortunately his Salary and buyout are way to much for us to even sniff.

but Iowa State is in a position that is similar to a G5 Program that if Campbell does well enough he's gone anyway. I don't put Wisconsin in that category, fairly consistent good Program that has won Division Titles. Iowa State's ceiling is probably 3rd Place in the Big 12

but Iowa State is in a position that is similar to a G5 Program that if Campbell does well enough he's gone anyway. I don't put Wisconsin in that category, fairly consistent good Program that has won Division Titles. Iowa State's ceiling is probably 3rd Place in the Big 12
During the beginning of coaching carousel Iowa State gave him a raise and 6 year contract extension.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...8/matt-campbell-contract-extension-iowa-state

The good thing about being in the north, kids come to do work and play football, not party and relax in the sun.

Campbell had some excellent wins and showed that Iowa st could change its fate from being a bottom dweller to competing with OU. I havent been sold on the guy just yet but definitely had some high points last year.

Too many variables to pin any decision on one particular thing when it comes to kids making decisions where to play football.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
During the beginning of coaching carousel Iowa State gave him a raise and 6 year contract extension.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...8/matt-campbell-contract-extension-iowa-state

The good thing about being in the north, kids come to do work and play football, not party and relax in the sun.

Campbell had some excellent wins and showed that Iowa st could change its fate from being a bottom dweller to competing with OU. I havent been sold on the guy just yet but definitely had some high points last year.

Too many variables to pin any decision on one particular thing when it comes to kids making decisions where to play football.
I think it's the way that Purdy handled the last few weeks kind of being a diva about the whole thing and wasting Heup's time on a 2nd in home visit(in Arizona) that I have a problem with. UCF usually doesn't have a problem holding off Iowa State in the past. When UCF gets 'big timed' by a prospect it's a lot better Program than Iowa State.

What's done is done though

I think it's the way that Purdy handled the last few weeks kind of being a diva about the whole thing and wasting Heup's time on a 2nd in home visit that I have a problem with. UCF usually doesn't have a problem holding off Iowa State in the past. Usually when UCF gets 'big timed' by a prospect it's a lot better Program than Iowa State.

What's done is done though
It happens. The way you need to look at is if he didnt have his heart set on UCF you wouldnt want him anyway. Need guys who want to be there and buy in and put in the work.

I've heard that is the issue with recruits from the State of Texas is that they hit their ceiling and peak too young in comparison to Florida recruits

This is very true, basically year round football and insane HS facilities...a lot of TX players are maxed out physically and developmentally before college (especially if coming out of a big time high school peogram)

How the heck did Cincy get such a good class? #47 class is fantastic for them considering how terrible they are.

Reactions: NU_FTW
How the heck did Cincy get such a good class? #47 class is fantastic for them considering how terrible they are.
With most G5 teama anything can happen when you have a good recruiter as a head coach, good assistant coach recruiters and a returning coaching staff.

The number 1 reason that we don’t have the class that we should have is because the entire staff was gutted right around the early signing period. It was a perfect recipe for disaster and should have actually been way worse. I’m sure JH whipped out all the charm on the phone as soon as he took the job. He and Shannon deserve a ton of credit as it was all on them.

Additionally, thank Dunkin Donuts and their coffee. Donut and coffee energy coffee ☕️ energy are underrated in times like that.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
They should be that high every year. Instate it’s pretty much OSU and then them. Then a few MAC schools. May have to battle Kentucky and UL for some recruits but not like Florida that has the big 3 and then us and USF fighting for leftovers. Throw in FIU and FAU with their HCs and it’s tougher now. Cincy got a 4* TE that probably would have gone to OSU but they got a really high ranked TE in class already. Must be nice waiting for OSU to throw you scraps instead of 3 schools and you have to fight a school 70 or so miles away for them.

They should be that high every year. Instate it’s pretty much OSU and then them. Then a few MAC schools. May have to battle Kentucky and UL for some recruits but not like Florida that has the big 3 and then us and USF fighting for leftovers. Throw in FIU and FAU with their HCs and it’s tougher now. Cincy got a 4* TE that probably would have gone to OSU but they got a really high ranked TE in class already. Must be nice waiting for OSU to throw you scraps instead of 3 schools and you have to fight a school 70 or so miles away for them.

All of that makes sense but at the end of the day its still Ohio. Iowa is a nicer state than Ohio.

Michigan, ND, and Sparty also usually hit Ohio really hard...think Pitt and WVU might as well but not as certain on those two.

Michigan, ND, and Sparty also usually hit Ohio really hard...think Pitt and WVU might as well but not as certain on those two.
Every school hits Florida hard too but you typically won’t be fighting them every cycle for every kid. Talking in general who you are fighting. Most kids in Ohio hate Michigan. East of Toledo anyway.

Good to see Corey Bell recruiting the Glades! Hopefully we can snag some more folks from there if they are still producing talent.

And adding 4 stars can change the scores significantly

Not following your logic. Why would Ohio kids care if Iowa is “nicer”?

Iowa is only relevant for perspective on how bad Ohio is. There are several high rated recruits not from Ohio. I’m not knocking locals wanting to stay home for school, don’t understand why’d you choose to go there if you weren’t from there

Iowa is only relevant for perspective on how bad Ohio is. There are several high rated recruits not from Ohio. I’m not knocking locals wanting to stay home for school, don’t understand why’d you choose to go there if you weren’t from there
OK, they don't need to leave state much to get recruits. I think 14 of theirs were from Ohio. Still not getting why you chose Iowa. Hawaii is nicer too.

Reactions: KnightLife1
When Signing Day is over and the Extended Forecast has Highs Above 80 everyday
DVhTWTHWkAAT9sl.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT