ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Gus is still at work...another 5 star...he’s a safety and would be a huge get/addition with what we saw from the back up safeties last season.
I think he would be good but he didn’t look great in the limited minutes he got vs Rutgers. There are better db in the portal I hope we get instead.

Yes we do but we are using a 2022 spot on a 5'11" 205 pounds FCS guy. Don't drink the Dungeonite Kool Aid man - they dont know anything.

We are using way too many 2022 spots on marginal takes. Way too many. At the rate we are going we will have a ten high school recruit 2022 class. That's not smart.

Questionable portal takes: the Tennessee WR, the Colorado State WR, the Indiana RB, the LB/DE, the FCS LB.

Good portal takes: MAR, Kat, the DT, and the ND WR.

I think you mean Northwestern RB.
Yes thank you. All off the takes and we still have huge holes to fill at CB and LB. Also at TE.

Four great additions but too many takes on guys that are from pkayers guaranteed to start or to have an impact on the team.

Its not "free money" my people and the rules will be different next year. We wont be able to add portal guys and count them foward to 2023.

Yes thank you. All off the takes and we still have huge holes to fill at CB and LB. Also at TE.

Four great additions but too many takes on guys that are from pkayers guaranteed to start or to have an impact on the team.

Its not "free money" my people and the rules will be different next year. We wont be able to add portal guys and count them foward to 2023.
HESCOCK already fills the tight end hole

Questionable portal takes: the Tennessee WR, the Colorado State WR, the Indiana RB, the LB/DE, the FCS LB.

Good portal takes: MAR, Kat, the DT, and the ND WR.
Tennesse wr was huep so can’t blame that on Gus. I agree on the Colorado state (maybe a walk on?). Northwestern rb is a bruiser and I think will do well. Had a great freshmen year in the big ten which is not an easy conference to run in. The Lb/de I know for sure is a walk on so it can’t hurt. The fcs linebacker will be interesting. He could go either way.

Reactions: ahabmw and Yaes
Yes we do but we are using a 2022 spot on a 5'11" 205 pounds FCS guy. Don't drink the Dungeonite Kool Aid man - they dont know anything.

We are using way too many 2022 spots on marginal takes. Way too many. At the rate we are going we will have a ten high school recruit 2022 class. That's not smart.

Should read this and learn about the LBs most schools are now recruiting. That FCS guy is only 2 inches shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah one of the most coveted linebackers in this years draft. Miami Dolphins great Zach Thomas was only 5'11. I'd give the guy a chance.

Should read this and learn about the LBs most schools are now recruiting. That FCS guy is only 2 inches shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah one of the most coveted linebackers in this years draft. Miami Dolphins great Zach Thomas was only 5'11. I'd give the guy a chance.
yea nah JOK was a projected first rounder and slipped well into the second round, maybe more if his name wasn't attached to Notre Dame. and the thumpers like Collins and Parsons were the first defensive guys off the board, those types will always be the more coveted LB at Power 5 programs and the NFL.

Film looks good. Fast, stays with his assignment, plays off blocks, eyes on the ball, etc.
Mizzou fans will have a legendary meltdown. Took their president, one of their natives sons, and no one of their premier recruits last campaign. Just rename the school bruh.

You keep comparing the FCS guy to the ND guy who is taller, bigger than him, played P5 and is an outlier?

The FCS LB was 195 pounds in high school and now as a college senior he is 205. The man has a very low ceiling.

How bout comparing him to the thousands of players with similar height and weight who could never play FBS football?

One comp vs thousands. We should not be spending any 2022 counters unless the player is slated to be a starter here.

5'11 and 205 is too small to play FBS LB and be successful at it. Again dont pick ONE OUTLIER but look at the thousands of FBS LB's and name me successful 5'11" - 195 pound LB's.

Go!

Last edited:
I believe Gus is a very good coach and a very good recruiter. However, his name is not Saban, Dabo or Urban.

Its OK to have reservations about some of the moves here. Its OK to question some of the takes he has made.

We need to actively pursue a DUDE at CB. Probably too late to add another LB now that we took the FCS guy.

Kat is great take, MAR would be a top 25 transfer but some are waiting to see him perform after his injury.

The ND WR has the tools to a great one but there are some off the field concerns. However, I love the upside and he has four years of eligibility left.

The DT transfer is a young player that has already accomplished something at the FBS level.

Those four are good/great additions.

The rest of the transfers are questionable in many ways. We are using four year spots for players that have limited eligibility left, have accomplished nothing at the FBS level, are marginal from a talent standpoint or have other issues.

We can't just keep taking bodies. Yes, we have a lot to lose by taking all these guys.

There's also an issue with team morale when we bring an entire squad of transfers.

I am not about to start looking for ways to promote or defend every portal take. It's not going to happen. I am not about to start comparing any of these guys to great players from the NFL or college.

Forget it.

Kat is great take, MAR would be a top 25 transfer but some are waiting to see him perform after his injury.

The ND WR has the tools to a great one but there are some off the field concerns. However, I love the upside and he has four years of eligibility left.

The DT transfer is a young player that has already accomplished something at the FBS level.

Those four are good/great additions.

The rest of the transfers are questionable in many ways. We are using four year spots for players that have limited eligibility left, have accomplished nothing at the FBS level, are marginal from a talent standpoint or have other issues.

We can't just keep taking bodies. Yes, we have a lot to lose by taking all these guys.

There's also an issue with team morale when we bring an entire squad of transfers.

I am not about to start looking for ways to promote or defend every portal take. It's not going to happen. I am not about to start comparing any of these guys to great players from the NFL or college.

Forget it.

I generally agree with much of this. Overall I like the transfers, but don’t know enough to add much. However, the idea that a transfer takes the spot of a four year player is misleading. The transfer takes the place of a four year player for one year only (if they only have one year left). After they leave, the spot can be filled by a new recruit or another transfer. It might be more work (additional recruiting time, player development, etc.), but it is not sacrificing 4 scholarship years for one.

I generally agree with much of this. Overall I like the transfers, but don’t know enough to add much. However, the idea that a transfer takes the spot of a four year player is misleading. The transfer takes the place of a four year player for one year only (if they only have one year left). After they leave, the spot can be filled by a new recruit or another transfer. It might be more work (additional recruiting time, player development, etc.), but it is not sacrificing 4 scholarship years for one.
Technically you are right. But you can only bring in 25 guys per year on scholarship. If you bring in 32 this go around, 7 guys count towards next year. So next year our 25 turns to 18. So we lose the 1 year wonders abd can’t replace with 4 year guys for 2 years.

Reactions: Chargeon2020
Technically you are right. But you can only bring in 25 guys per year on scholarship. If you bring in 32 this go around, 7 guys count towards next year. So next year our 25 turns to 18. So we lose the 1 year wonders abd can’t replace with 4 year guys for 2 years.
Gotta have faith in Gus but it's obvious that recruiting as we knew it has changed to transfers + high school recruits and, at least for the next couple of years, transfers are a priority.

Reactions: Knight Strength
You keep comparing the FCS guy to the ND guy who is taller, bigger than him, played P5 and is an outlier?

The FCS LB was 195 pounds in high school and now as a college senior he is 205. The man has a very low ceiling.

How bout comparing him to the thousands of players with similar height and weight who could never play FBS football?

One comp vs thousands. We should not be spending any 2022 counters unless the player is slated to be a starter here.

5'11 and 205 is too small to play FBS LB and be successful at it. Again dont pick ONE OUTLIER but look at the thousands of FBS LB's and name me successful 5'11" - 195 pound LB's.

Go!

Mike Singletary, Navarro Bowman, Zach Thomas, London Fletcher, Joe Mays, Darryl Sharpton, Stephen Tulloch, Nick Bolton, Monty Rice, Sam Mills, Jatavious Brown, Zaire Anderson, Elvis Dumerville... just to name a few.

Reactions: SurfaceWarrior
Singletary was 230, Thomas 242, Fletcher 242, Mills 232, Dumerville 250. Not going to waste my time with those others. At 205 he needs to be real fast or play safety.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT