ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Seminole is too close to use one . Using one to visit the Space Coast would be more practical.

Helicopters freak me out since Kobe
I could understand it for a realistic out-of-state prospect, such as former Georgia commit Tae Harris of Cedartown HS.

But the only way I can excuse this behavior for recruiting a Seminole HS product is if the kid himself wanted that kind of attention and wasn't getting any and the head coach related that information to Gus and Co. In that case, it was a helluva good recruiting tactic.

Outside of that, however, there is ZERO excuse for renting a helicopter to visit a kid 30 minutes away.

EDIT: I do have to make one additional concession. The fact that Gus is visiting a a high school offensive lineman, given the Knights' need at that position for the 2025 class, does make the move understandable.

Last edited:
i knew there had to be more to it (first of a few stops). we can't be at the point where we can waste money to go to seminole. if we can do that then more money needs to find its way to the collective so we can actually get some players.

Seminole is too close to use one . Using one to visit the Space Coast would be more practical.

Helicopters freak me out since Kobe
I love them. In military, I use to hang out the side to take photographs. Lots of fun.

I love them. In military, I use to hang out the side to take photographs. Lots of fun.
Yup. It was awesome riding on a Huey into Iraq with legs hanging over the side, M-16A2 across my lap, and the crew chief on the M-60 door gun to my right, while flying about 50 ft. above the deck.

Reactions: SurfaceWarrior
Yup. It was awesome riding on a Huey into Iraq with legs hanging over the side, M-16A2 across my lap, and the crew chief on the M-60 door gun to my right, while flying about 50 ft. above the deck.
Crazy! Simply Crazy!

Crazy! Simply Crazy!
Only if you take into account that I was just a AH-1 Cobra crew chief (with 6 others) tasked to do this. Like we knew what the Hell we were doing to secure an attack helicopter Battalion operations site... Wasn't too difficult, considering that only about 3 miles away was most of the 101st infantry brigades (that actually know what they are doing on the ground).

Only if you take into account that I was just a AH-1 Cobra crew chief (with 6 others) tasked to do this. Like we knew what the Hell we were doing to secure an attack helicopter Battalion operations site... Wasn't too difficult, considering that only about 3 miles away was most of the 101st infantry brigades (that actually know what they are doing on the ground).
Hoorah! Thank you for your service.

Reactions: connerito
I could understand it for a realistic out-of-state prospect, such as former Georgia commit Tae Harris of Cedartown HS.

But the only way I can excuse this behavior for recruiting a Seminole HS product is if the kid himself wanted that kind of attention and wasn't getting any and the head coach related that information to Gus and Co. In that case, it was a helluva good recruiting tactic.

Outside of that, however, there is ZERO excuse for renting a helicopter to visit a kid 30 minutes away.

EDIT: I do have to make one additional concession. The fact that Gus is visiting a a high school offensive lineman, given the Knights' need at that position for the 2025 class, does make the move understandable.
My only gripe is he didnt parachute out of it. Would have sealed the commit

Based on how they socialized the heli visits, its pretty clear it was for the optics of showing up in VIP mode not for the practicality. All part of the recruiting flash tactics.

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
Based on how they socialized the heli visits, its pretty clear it was for the optics of showing up in VIP mode not for the practicality. All part of the recruiting flash tactics.
UCF is 'putting on airs' that it is one of the big dogs of college football. Act like you belong and eventually you will.

Reactions: 90Knight
Yeah I feel like this is going to bite them in the ass in the long run. Just seems so shady to keep coaches around who are recruiting and building relationships with these kids, the kids sign, and then you get rid of the coaches who they built those relationships with. That timing is just not right

Yeah I feel like this is going to bite them in the ass in the long run. Just seems so shady to keep coaches around who are recruiting and building relationships with these kids, the kids sign, and then you get rid of the coaches who they built those relationships with. That timing is just not right
the ease of transfers makes it not as shady as in the past. they can easily follow the fired coach to his new school.

The run defense was inexcusable under Sims' watch. Any prospect(s) UCF loses was a result of firing Sims will mitigated by coaching schematics and by player development of the guys on roster and future signees.

The only thing Gus could have done is moved Sims to an off-the-field position. But let's be honest, he deserved to be fired.

Reactions: beelit47
The run defense was inexcusable under Sims' watch. Any prospect(s) UCF loses was a result of firing Sims will mitigated by coaching schematics and by player development of the guys on roster and future signees.

The only thing Gus could have done is moved Sims to an off-the-field position. But let's be honest, he deserved to be fired.

You are such a dummy. He got fired because Ted Roof coaches LBs.

You were blaming T-Will for the defense the year before. Malzahn has not been able to recruit OL or LB since he got to UCF.

What was Smith supposed to do with the guys he had and UCF playing only two LBs in that trash Malzahn defense ?

Last edited:

Our lbs were awful at hitting gaps and wrapping up tackles. Somehow they were even worse in pass coverage

Reactions: Yaes
Our lbs were awful at hitting gaps and wrapping up tackles. Somehow they were even worse in pass coverage
We'll know if the problem was talent or coaching very soon. The NFL will weigh in and both Jason Johnson and Walter Yates are in the draft.

We'll know if the problem was talent or coaching very soon. The NFL will weigh in and both Jason Johnson and Walter Yates are in the draft.
The starters weren't so much the problem as the reserves. Kansas looked like World Beaters with Johnson out of the lineup. I have no idea how Rian Davis ever made it on the field at Georgia.

Reactions: tjb74
He got fired because Ted Roof coaches LBs.
So Gus Malzahn hired Ted Roof to coach linebackers. Duh!
You were blaming T-Will for the defense the year before. Malzahn has not been able to recruit OL or LB since he got to UCF.
I blamed TWill for his poor high school linebacker recruiting at Auburn. Auburn has since replaced all of TWill's guys in the lineup.

UCF under Malzahn has done a pretty decent job of signing linebackers.
What was Smith supposed to do with the guys he had and UCF playing only two LBs in that trash Malzahn defense ?
Who is Smith?

Animated GIF

You mean the 'head' of UCF's piss-poor-thetic run defense? That was Ernie Sims.

images

He had a top 8 last year and UCF was in it. Still a long shot but at least we are getting these types of players on campus and they’re considering us 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah, I made the comment yesterday referring to the change from how just a few short years ago that UCF even being mentioned with ONE of these blue chip recruits would have been cool, compared to now where UCF is a serious CONTENDER for multiples of these kids is amazing.

Reactions: lawknight and KRH55
UCF visitors lately: Blue Chip; Blue Chip; another Blue Chip. Let's see.... Oh, yeah------another Blue Chip. And, yet another Blue Chip. Once thought of as crazy, wishful thinking, now just the norm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT