ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT: Big 12 Considering Name Change

I’m sure it’s not going to change the way the Big East changed to American Athletic Conference. That was forced by the basketball schools taking the name. It would change to Big 14 or something in the event they add teams.

But I agree, if anything but that scenario it is a huge mistake. The Big 12 name and its logo has stature.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
Wouldn't be a good idea. People are used to the name and the brand, so why change it? Doesn't matter if the number of teams doesn't match the number in the conference name. As an example, the Big 10 doesn't have 10 teams and they're doing just fine.

The 6 largest programs have departed. 4 original Big 8 members, and 2 Texas teams.
The identity has changed dramatically, the name has become a relic.

“Midgets and Misfits” is my suggested choice. It is perfect to describe the collection under that tattered umbrella.

Here is ChatGPTs top new names:
1. Heartland Athletic Conference
2. Central Athletic Conference
3. American Central Conference
4. United Athletic Conference
5. Powerhouse Conference
6. National Athletic Conference
7. Great American Conference
8. National Central Conference

I actually like 7 alot

Here is ChatGPTs top new names:
1. Heartland Athletic Conference
2. Central Athletic Conference
3. American Central Conference
4. United Athletic Conference
5. Powerhouse Conference
6. National Athletic Conference
7. Great American Conference
8. National Central Conference

I actually like 7 alot
I am against changing the name at all ... but I would REALLY be against anything with the word "American" in it. That's the conference we just left. I would hate for people to confuse our conference with that one.

Any name change will feel way too much like Big East to American. Especially if the change happens right after we join. Too many similarities, even if its the greatest conference name ever (whatever you deem that to be).

Reactions: DeezKnights
The 6 most prominent schools have left. Big 12 is but a hollow shell of its once prominent self. Of those 6 schools, 3 are all time blue blood programs, and are all gone. Not a single current member is close to the accomplishments of even Missouri or Colorado.

Money changed everything, and all the big brands followed it. Colorado is probably only school having regrets upon their choice.

The only reason you guys got an invite is desperation, pure and simple. Big East redux.

The Big 12 is like a classic band, most members changed, but still flogging songs written by the superstars no longer involved.

The 6 most prominent schools have left. Big 12 is but a hollow shell of its once prominent self. Of those 6 schools, 3 are all time blue blood programs, and are all gone. Not a single current member is close to the accomplishments of even Missouri or Colorado.

Money changed everything, and all the big brands followed it. Colorado is probably only school having regrets upon their choice.

The only reason you guys got an invite is desperation, pure and simple. Big East redux.

The Big 12 is like a classic band, most members changed, but still flogging songs written by the superstars no longer involved.
How’s Scotty Frost doing?

None of this explains why it would be a smart move for the league to ditch the Big 12 brand. The Big East brand left when some original member departing basketball schools wanted to take it with them forcing the rest of the league to re-brand. Not the case here.

None of this explains why it would be a smart move for the league to ditch the Big 12 brand.
A rebranding makes ZERO sense.

Like the Big XII name and logo or not, it’s the third most popular brand in all of CFB. I think it would be beyond ironic for a program like UCF to finally achieve its goal of reaching a Big Dawg conference only to see that conference rebrand itself into a league nobody has heard of. Whatever the Powers-that-Be decide it would essentially be the AAC2.

This is where a commissioner from the outside can hurt. If he's trying to make his mark by breaking away from tradition for the sake of doing so.

He could get away with it if it has blue blood programs, but trying to rebrand without any true national flagship schools is a quick way to make the conference an outsider in football.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Why do you hate America?
Because in sports it means "You finally joined the 'big boys' and embarrassed EVERYONE including those leaving for a 'better' conference' are now one of the BCS champions, and now we're going to change the name of the conference that will make it that much easier to ignore you." If that's not too long of an explanation. It was the useless commissioner's worst decision. But HEY, Let's do it again, just when we join!!!! No that doesn't sound like the brown stuff that comes out of the other end of normal people. Last conference that changed it's name-- was easily ignored.

HAHAHA Moron that thinks all the other prominent conferences have 'prominent schools'. Hey, how's Vandy? or any of the Pac, or the large minority/majority of those 'great' conferences. PS didn't I Big XII team get in the invitational? Or don't you actually count ability on the field/playoffs? Guess you really are an ignorant boob, but you already knew you posted the dumbest thing possible.

This classic band you refer to has, without question THE best basketball conference in the country and just played for the football National Championship.

this is the dumbest thing i've heard. at least the AAC rebrand from Big East involved selling the name and the remaining teams pocketed the money. so the big 12 would just willingly give up a valuable name with nothing in return? people don't think.

Last edited:
this is the dumbest thing i've heard. at least the AAC rebrand from Big East involved selling the name and the remaining teams pocketed the money. so the big 12 would just willing give up a valuable name with nothing in return? people don't think.
Yormack also a little too obsessed with basketball..it still pales in comparison to football tv numbers . That is the mistake the ACC made

..... your posts actually emit a foul olfactory detectable stench !!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT