ADVERTISEMENT

Roster Changes -- Bentavious Thompson

That makes a lot more sense than him being beaten out for a position before fall camp start and on top of that by a player who is not even cleared for contact.
His tweet was already posted. He said he couldn’t control himself when adversity came. Along those lines. So he got into a heated argument at a minimum with someone. Being kicked off team would suggest it was a coach. No arrest record so it probably wasn’t domestic. Read between the lines on why he’d be exchanging words with coaches in between Spring and Fall Camps.

Was looking forward to seeing Beno be the featured back this year like I am sure alot of us were. No arrest reports or any documentation anyone can find to see why he would be dismissed from the team. At this point to speculation as the why.
RB is not a position I would worry about if someone got hurt or left. Harvey and Richardson looked good in the spring plus you add whatever capacity the transfers can play we should be fine.

Almost can’t blame him, didn’t seem like many guys liked Huepel and then whatever happened with WR coach Wyatt “leaving”. He probably feels pretty crappy transferring now after Huepel leaves and Gus gets hired and the Ga State situation. Then seeing the new improved offense rolling, almost feel bad for him. Gotta remember being that age and how many poor and/or emotional impulsive decisions a kid can make. I’ll root for him.

Almost can’t blame him, didn’t seem like many guys liked Huepel and then whatever happened with WR coach Wyatt “leaving”. He probably feels pretty crappy transferring now after Huepel leaves and Gus gets hired and the Ga State situation. Then seeing the new improved offense rolling, almost feel bad for him. Gotta remember being that age and how many poor and/or emotional impulsive decisions a kid can make. I’ll root for him.
Rooting for him as well.

Reactions: Willie Knightime
Reading this makes me realize what a great role my parents play in the decisions I make in life. I'm in my 40's with a family and a very successful business yet my father is still someone I rely on to help me look at things the right way. I have surpassed him financially but he is decades ahead of me in the game of life which is everything.

Long way of saying that these kids can easily be led astray if the support system is not there on the family front. Immature or unrealistic parents can be the difference in some of these kids being successful or not.

His family was n social media complaining. Can you blame him for that? No but why leave UCF for Georgia St? QB had 90 yards passing. Seems like he could have gone to a different school that passed more.

Heupel fired WR Coach Wyatt as UCF lead the nation last year in dropped passes.

Gus hired him back 8 weeks later when Wyatt was still unemployed.

Heupel fired WR Coach Wyatt as UCF lead the nation last year in dropped passes.

Gus hired him back 8 weeks later when Wyatt was still unemployed.
Wasn't that one of the last positions filled? Might have searched elsewhere but ended up being the beat option available.

Wasn't that one of the last positions filled? Might have searched elsewhere but ended up being the beat option available.
Yes...as the timing of Gus's hire (mid-late Feb) was a tough time to fill a staff since most in the industry either had current jobs and or just accepted new jobs in Dec/Jan when most coaching staff.moves are made).

Of course, Got s was hiring in Feb for a G5 Team but now UCF is a P5 Team which will probably increase the pool of available asst coaches, plus Gus will have a larger Asst Coach salary pool to use as well.

No clue what Gus might do this off-season but with G5 label, he might make 1 or 2 moves come Dec/Jan.

Last edited:
It’s January and Bentavious still hasn’t found a new program. He’s been in the transfer portal for a long time.
So how does that he work? Is he still a student at UCF paying his own way, or is he still on scholarship, getting an education and taking up a spot and not playing on the team?

So how does that he work? Is he still a student at UCF paying his own way, or is he still on scholarship, getting an education and taking up a spot and not playing on the team?
Once the year is up the school can take the scholarship away.

At this point does he even want to play? Did he miss a year of eligibility sitting out last year? Really feel bad for him, so patient waiting for his opportunity.

Reactions: Knight Strength
There's got to be more to the story we don't know. He could certainly find a roster that would give him a scholarship.

Shoulda...woulda....coulda...think your future out well, things don't always go as planned, be selective on opinions to value...and keep in mind the grass isn't always greener.

Last edited:
Yep, the transfer portal snuck up on him and he reacted badly. After being RB1 in the Spring, he didn't expect the arrival and immediate impact of Bowser and Richards even though Gus did make it clear that he wanted to evaluate the talent in the Spring and add where needed. I don't think anyone anticipated our active participation in the portal that followed. He had options but obviously he reacted before thinking it through. That's usually the worst option. Hoping he gets a second chance somewhere.

There's got to be more to the story we don't know. He could certainly find a roster that would give him a scholarship.
Bentaviouis paid his dues. He was backup to AK, Otis, and Mcrae for 3 years. and when his time came as a senior, we brought in 3 new RBs (Bowser, Harvey, Richards) who had better upside. Just an unfortunate situation for him.

He was a good teammate, kept his head down, and worked hard. The transfers were the nail in the coffin for his dreams of playing in the NFL. Tough thing for anyone to deal with.

Last edited:
Got his degree in December and still sitting in the transfer portal since late last year...

Meanwhile it looks like DJ is finally going to get his chance to be starting QB this year at ODU.

Big fan, but he played terrible last year and was benched. I think his replacement played pretty well and took them to a bowl game? Surprised he’s getting another chance, but good for him. He didn’t look like the same player. Maybe he had a lot of rust and difficulty learning a new system. We saw what lack of playing did to Milton. It’s hard to get that perfect timing back

Reactions: KnightVision82
Bentaviouis paid his dues. He was backup to AK, Otis, and Mcrae for 3 years. and when his time came as a senior, we brought in 3 new RBs (Bowser, Harvey, Richards) who had better upside. Just an unfortunate situation for him.

He was a good teammate, kept his head down, and worked hard. The transfers were the nail in the coffin for his dreams of playing in the NFL. Tough thing for anyone to deal with.
That's not what I was referring to. It's obvious why he left. The puzzling thing is why he hasn't been picked up by any other team. Teams always need more running backs. You can't tell me that he wouldn't have found a place with almost any other G5 team let alone an FCS school.

That's not what I was referring to. It's obvious why he left. The puzzling thing is why he hasn't been picked up by any other team. Teams always need more running backs. You can't tell me that he wouldn't have found a place with almost any other G5 team let alone an FCS school.
He may be holding out for one and have FCS as plan C.

Meanwhile it looks like DJ is finally going to get his chance to be starting QB this year at ODU.

2021: Played in seven games, starting six at quarterback ... Completed 86-of-167 passes for 859 yards, five touchdowns and seven interceptions...not good

2021: Played in seven games, starting six at quarterback ... Completed 86-of-167 passes for 859 yards, five touchdowns and seven interceptions...not good
Look at his running stats though he had good TD numbers as we saw. This year he should get the full year to develop. However, we knew he had accuracy problems which is why he isn't here. If he could complete passes he has the physical ability to play some level of pro ball.

I was listening to Sons of UCF last night and they said there's a huge supply of good RBs out there. Maybe there's just too many and he's holding out

He was the reason we lost to LSU. He couldn’t even run against them. He threw 1 TD pass. He isn’t a great QB.

That’s unfair - it was more than just him. Our line was terrible at blocking, the defense couldn’t get off the field on third down, and we had a couple drops that we needed.
Yes we gave up 40 points but with good QB play we beat them.

That’s unfair - it was more than just him. Our line was terrible at blocking, the defense couldn’t get off the field on third down, and we had a couple drops that we needed.
While you aren’t wrong, he was awful that game. The play calling was even worse. Our running backs were producing, but we kept passing and running with Mack. It was obvious it wasn’t working, but hippo gonna hippo and never adjust. There were at least 2 passes dropped that would have been TDs though. GD had one in endzone and butterfinger Harris had the other with wide open jog in.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
While you aren’t wrong, he was awful that game. The play calling was even worse. Our running backs were producing, but we kept passing and running with Mack. It was obvious it wasn’t working, but hippo gonna hippo and never adjust.
Hippo polished that turd of a situation as best he could. Mack was not a good QB and he was thrust into a situation against a team with a talent advantage at every position. It’s a wonder we lost by just a touchdown. There is a reason why Mack never started a game after that. There is a reason he was the 127th rated QB at ODU last year.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT