ADVERTISEMENT

SCOTUS rules in favor of bakery in gay wedding cake case

Including spending their valuable time/money with a law suit over something that can be resolved in a matter of minutes by finding a different bakery?
and if im not mistaken, someone literally found where they lived, and found that they drove past a dozen bakeries that wouldve gladly made them a cake on their way to masterpiece cakes.

Reactions: fabknight
and if im not mistaken, someone literally found where they lived, and found that they drove past a dozen bakeries that wouldve gladly made them a cake on their way to masterpiece cakes.
Yeah, but maybe they were referred by a friend who had a good experience or maybe they looked him up on Google or Yelp and he had the most stars. Since we haven't heard any of those bakeries come out and say they got estimates from them too, you can easily give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. The lawsuit does lead toward them being more active in trying to find a sucker for their cause but doesn't seal the book on that. But even then, this may have been a "straw that broke the camel's back" incident.

The place where I have an issue with them is that the lawsuit and the process are so expensive and ruinous for the baker who did try to accommodate them including finding a place where they could get the service they wished. It's not like the old days where no one would do it or try to help at all. They are only out the inconvenience of making another phone call. So rather than changing a system of injustice where they can't get what they want from anyone, they seem to be vindictively persecuting a single person would wouldn't give them what they want one time.

Why is it that crazy of an idea to tell business owners that if they choose to do business in the USA, and take advantage of a system that provides them the means to do business, they must follow certain rules: among those rules is you cannot discriminate based on gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation?

Why is it that crazy of an idea to tell business owners that if they choose to do business in the USA, and take advantage of a system that provides them the means to do business, they must follow certain rules: among those rules is you cannot discriminate based on gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation?

You mistakingly view it as discrimination. If they called them some prejorative term and told them to get out then it would be different.

You mistakingly view it as discrimination. If they called them some prejorative term and told them to get out then it would be different.

You are a moron, and don't view refusing somebody service for their sexual orientation as discrimination.

Because you have contradictions in that list you just provided, as is noted in the Supreme Court ruling that you probably didn’t read, that don’t make it as simple as you are trying to imply.

Also, I love the communist phrasing. The business owners pay for that system in which they do business and are active symbiotic participants. This isn’t a communist or fascist economy no matter what your dreams are. And over the history of this country, government has traditionally been a drag on businesses and not the enabler that Obama implied with his “you didn’t build that” speech.

Because you have contradictions in that list you just provided, as is noted in the Supreme Court ruling that you probably didn’t read, that don’t make it as simple as you are trying to imply.

Also, I love the communist phrasing. The business owners pay for that system in which they do business and are active symbiotic participants. This isn’t a communist or fascist economy no matter what your dreams are. And over the history of this country, government has traditionally been a drag on businesses and not the enabler that Obama implied with his “you didn’t build that” speech.

Safety regulations, roads, emergency services, communications, health regulations, utilities... I could go on and on.

it isn't "communist phrasing." It is reality. Business owners pay taxes for that system, and benefit from that system. There are plenty of rules in place for them to do business in that system. Anti-discrimination laws should be no different than safety and health laws. It should be part of the price of doing business in a civilized country.

I assume your are against all forms of discrimination then.
I assume you're attempting to prove some kind of moronic point...

All forms? Sure. Where you plan on going with this, Copernicus?

Safety regulations, roads, emergency services, communications, health regulations, utilities... I could go on and on.

it isn't "communist phrasing." It is reality. Business owners pay taxes for that system, and benefit from that system. There are plenty of rules in place for them to do business in that system. Anti-discrimination laws should be no different than safety and health laws. It should be part of the price of doing business in a civilized country.
Safety and health laws sometimes directly conflict with religious protections as well. When that happens, it’s not so simple.

Reactions: UCFWayne
I assume you're attempting to prove some kind of moronic point...

All forms? Sure. Where you plan on going with this, Copernicus?

K. As long as you're consistent then its fine. Nobody can refuse to serve anyone at any time for any reason.

K. As long as you're consistent then its fine. Nobody can refuse to serve anyone at any time for any reason.

That isn't a correct statement.
We have protected classes for a reason. However, homosexuality is not a federally protected class as of right now. It should be.

Damn, you morons already jumped on his comment. I should have known you weren't capable of actual thought.

That isn't a correct statement.
We have protected classes for a reason. However, homosexuality is not a federally protected class as of right now. It should be.
Ok. So your pet cause is more important than mine. Got it. Nm about being consistent, youre just another SJW hack.

Ok. So your pet cause is more important than mine. Got it. Nm about being consistent, youre just another SJW hack.

I guess if you view protected classes as simply a "pet cause" then you would think that way.
Unfortunately for you, being a moron without an actual disability doesn't protect you.

I guess if you view protected classes as simply a "pet cause" then you would think that way.
Unfortunately for you, being a moron without an actual disability doesn't protect you.

Oh, so you're bigoted against people with disabilities.

Keep digging your hole.

@bqknight is answered your question per your demand above.........nothing?

I'm just not sure it fully answers the question but as you said, you probably don't have the answer.

I don't know the bible well, I was raised Jewish but there are some pretty clear statements in there that are...outdated, no? I know people laundry list the shellfish thing, different fabrics, adultery, blah blah blah.

I think my point is that the people who are so anti-gay are actually just following what someone else is preaching instead of thinking on their own free will.

It's actually blind hate if you ask me.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
I think my point is that the people who are so anti-gay are actually just following what someone else is preaching instead of thinking on their own free will.

That's pretty much the mantra for followers of organized religion.

I'm just not sure it fully answers the question but as you said, you probably don't have the answer.

I don't know the bible well, I was raised Jewish but there are some pretty clear statements in there that are...outdated, no? I know people laundry list the shellfish thing, different fabrics, adultery, blah blah blah.

I agree it’s blind hate. And it’s too bad, because they really are the ones who lose out. You almost feel bad for those people because they don’t even know, except that you have to guard yourself against their hateful acts.

In this baker’s case, if he was being hateful, I think the loss of community business would’ve been an appropriate penalty. I don’t think the government needed to be involved.

I’m gonna have to stop you right there. Throwing around terms like “blind hate” for this guy is totally unnecessary. Again- I don’t know this guy at all but I’m not at all prepared to go along with the notion that his stance is because he HATES gay people.

I’m gonna have to stop you right there. Throwing around terms like “blind hate” for this guy is totally unnecessary. Again- I don’t know this guy at all but I’m not at all prepared to go along with the notion that his stance is because he HATES gay people.
I don’t think bq meant this guy. I read it as he’s talking about people who blindly follow the preachings of others into hatred.

Blind hate is an interesting term. Where is hate not blind, and where do we find unblind hate exactly? Are there people that are susceptible to it?

That was not explicitly clear

I’ve said not this guy like 4 times.

Blind hate is an interesting term. Where is hate not blind, and where do we find unblind hate exactly? Are there people that are susceptible to it?

I think hate for an entire people is/will always be blind. Hate is a strong word and at least to me is reserved for people who have severely hurt me and/or truly have evil inside them.

I’ve said not this guy like 4 times.

I think hate for an entire people is/will always be blind. Hate is a strong word and at least to me is reserved for people who have severely hurt me and/or truly have evil inside them.

It's all about tribalism. Of course this Baker doesn't give a damn about the other things the Bible talks about, shrimp and beards and stuff, it's an excuse to exercise simplistic tribal tendencies, which is the cornerstone of the Trump campaign. Us vs them. It's out dated and ignorant.

It's all about tribalism. Of course this Baker doesn't give a damn about the other things the Bible talks about, shrimp and beards and stuff, it's an excuse to exercise simplistic tribal tendencies, which is the cornerstone of the Trump campaign. Us vs them. It's out dated and ignorant.

Dont equate old testament teachings to a political movement today. The bible has nothing to do with tribalism and populism has nothing to do with judaic code.

Outdated compared to what? For all his talk of globalism, Obama followed the Alinsky playbook to a T, which is understandable given his Chicago community organizing and political background. Bernie and Hillary both used it in their campaigns. All of the powers in the ME use similar concepts. It’s probably the most pervasive leadership/organizational technique in the political world.

Dont equate old testament teachings to a political movement today. The bible has nothing to do with tribalism and populism has nothing to do with judaic code.

The Bible isn't about tribalism, however people pervert it today for that use.

I don’t think bq meant this guy. I read it as he’s talking about people who blindly follow the preachings of others into hatred.
Hatred is the antithesis of what Christianity teaches. I'm guessing tough love can be misinterpreted by the faithless.

In was raised in a conservative environment going to church every Sunday . I can’t imagine myself refusing to provide a simple service to a gay couple . It goes against my interpretation of being a good person , Christian whatever you want to call out . My view is the Bible teaches you what you are expected to do but not to judge others .

Reactions: CommuterBob
ADVERTISEMENT